Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>A Question
KEG123 05:55 AM 03-07-2011
I will have a bit of extra money to spend on a curriculum book of some sort. I was looking at mother goose, but holy cow, do you guys really pay 50 a month for it?? I understand it sounds like a fun program, but I can't justify the cost right now. So I'm looking for something else fun but inexpensive. Any ideas?
youretooloud 06:16 AM 03-07-2011
I don't like the pre-made curriculum. I don't like "crafts"... I prefer open ended art work. Like Just painting, or glue, tape, sponges...

So, I tend to like The projects on Mailbox magazine. I think it's about $25 a year, but you only get six or so magazines a year because they combine two months into one book.

There are online preschool curriculum that I like too. I'll post links if you'd like, but I didn't read the guidelines, so I'm not sure if links are allowed.

Kidsoup is the easiest to navigate, But, CCVilliage has good printables.
lil angels 06:40 AM 03-07-2011
I am interested in hearing some ideas too I think MG is very expensive to.
KEG123 11:05 AM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't like the pre-made curriculum. I don't like "crafts"... I prefer open ended art work. Like Just painting, or glue, tape, sponges...

So, I tend to like The projects on Mailbox magazine. I think it's about $25 a year, but you only get six or so magazines a year because they combine two months into one book.

There are online preschool curriculum that I like too. I'll post links if you'd like, but I didn't read the guidelines, so I'm not sure if links are allowed.

Kidsoup is the easiest to navigate, But, CCVilliage has good printables.
Thanks. And yes, please do post links!
daycare 11:43 AM 03-07-2011
Im just at the end of MGT... what a bunch of c*r*a*P....lol sorry Not to mention the paper waste at the end of each project. I am finding a ton of site that other providers are posting here and much to my surprise are way more exciting to the kids as well as cheap...very low or no out of cost.

This week we are using our creative thinking and only using tubes, boxes, lumber, sheets, and other buliding items to create our activities. so far we have built a bus, robot, caslte and a house. Right now we are just about finished painting all of the really big boxes. The kids are having a blast... when I told them that we were going to have to do out MGT stuff after lunch, they all said aaawweee why......lol
my age group is 2,3,3,3,3, 4.5 and 4.5............
kendallina 12:16 PM 03-07-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:

This week we are using our creative thinking and only using tubes, boxes, lumber, sheets, and other buliding items to create our activities. so far we have built a bus, robot, caslte and a house. Right now we are just about finished painting all of the really big boxes. The kids are having a blast... when I told them that we were going to have to do out MGT stuff after lunch, they all said aaawweee why......lol
my age group is 2,3,3,3,3, 4.5 and 4.5............
Yay! I think that's great to just play play play- let them be creative and paint and just go crazy! It's sooo much fun, isn't it??

There are a ton of links at the top of this forum to some great websites that include very open-ended playing where the children get to just create and have fun (all the while learning a ton!). Enjoy!
Crystal 02:26 PM 03-07-2011
My favorite books, although they are NOT activity books. They are informative books that show you how to design your own curriculum and environment to meet the individual needs of the children and by being an Intentional Teacher:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergent-Curri...9539685&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Designs-Living...9539712&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Toget...d_bxgy_b_img_b
melskids 03:24 AM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
My favorite books, although they are NOT activity books. They are informative books that show you how to design your own curriculum and environment to meet the individual needs of the children and by being an Intentional Teacher:

http://www.amazon.com/Emergent-Curri...9539685&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Designs-Living...9539712&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Toget...d_bxgy_b_img_b
Get them. Read them.

Crystal 12:15 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
Get them. Read them.

I take it you have? They are FABULOUS aren't they?!
melskids 01:53 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I take it you have? They are FABULOUS aren't they?!
oh yeah, you mentioned them once to me last summer in another thread. there were other books you recommended too, and i found some others on amazon. since reading them, ive COMPLETELY changed my WHOLE program.
Crystal 03:36 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
oh yeah, you mentioned them once to me last summer in another thread. there were other books you recommended too, and i found some others on amazon. since reading them, ive COMPLETELY changed my WHOLE program.
Sweet! I'm glad you found them as AWESOME as I have!
QualiTcare 10:39 AM 03-10-2011
with the internet - there's really no reason to buy a curriculum book.
you can google "lesson plans" and there are a million websites with lessons planned for you.

a couple of good sites are www.hubbardscupboard.org and atozteacherstuff.com

another good and EASY way to think of plans is to choose a book, read it, and make a list of different activities you could do based on that book. i'll be really un-creative and say "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie."

- make cookies (that in itself is an activity, but you could have them count chocolate chips or sprinkles - or use different shapes of cookie cutters to make it a math lesson)

- make mouse puppets using the old brown or white paper lunch bags

- let them estimate how many cookies are in a jar

- work on patterns using cookie/milk cutouts you can print online

- have them fill in the blanks (writing) "If you give a _______ a ______ he's going to ask you for a _____"

anyway, you get the point. tying lessons to books is good for young kids IMO bc it gives them something to relate the activity to. i think it's that book where the mouse colors all over a sheet? you could let the kids "spraypaint" a sheet using colored water in squirt bottles.

best of all - it's free!
Tags:curriculum, curriculum on a budget, ideas, inexpensive
Reply Up