Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Health Check Form for After Kids Are Ill?
MarinaVanessa 01:44 PM 05-05-2014
Being as to how terrible I am at searching for threads (already did a tag search and did not find what I was looking for) I am wondering if anyone requires a form from a doctor after an illness which says that the child can return to daycare.

Right now I sometimes require (depending on the situation and at my discretion) a note from a Dr in order to accept a child back into care but many times the note I get either has missing information (because parent forgot to tell Dr to include or Dr forgot to include it) or I can't understand the Dr's note.

I have this CA form PHYSICIAN’S REPORT—CHILD CARE CENTERS (CHILD’S PRE-ADMISSION HEALTH EVALUATION) LIC 701
But I like the title says ... it's more of a pre-enrollment form. I'd like something that is similar to the form above which a Dr. would fill out which discloses whether a child is healthy enough to come back to daycare, what they have etc. Something that pretty much covers anything as well as whether or not the child is taking any medications and for what.

I'm having an issue and I think I need to require a form to be filled out before allowing a client to come back. Parent telling me child went to see Dr. and doctor saying everything is ok but child has been coughing for 4 months type of thing. Same client that I've had to send children home because they're "fine" in morning but get sick at daycare after lunch/nap. One child's cough hasn't gone away since they started in January.

Anyone do something like this?
Blackcat31 02:03 PM 05-05-2014
Something like this?

I fill out the top portion and e-mail it to the parents so they don't have to come over to get one.
MarinaVanessa 02:17 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Something like this?

I fill out the top portion and e-mail it to the parents so they don't have to come over to get one.
OMGosh yes! Thank you!
Blackcat31 02:26 PM 05-05-2014
You are welcome.

I couldn't find one that worked for me either so I made one.

As always, you are welcome to tweak it to fit your needs.
Chellieleanne 03:02 PM 05-05-2014
I just want to say with the cough, my older son had a cough for a good 4 months as a baby before it was finally determined to be environmental allergies and went away on its own. So it could just be something that is around your house or that you use to clean that is causing it? Just a thought

As for a form, I would just have a doctor note saying the child is clear of contagious diseases and it ok to attend daycare. That is all that was required when I worked as an assistant at a daycare in my home state.
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:

As for a form, I would just have a doctor note saying the child is clear of contagious diseases and it ok to attend daycare. That is all that was required when I worked as an assistant at a daycare in my home state.
I started out that way but just because a child is cleared of anything contagious doesn't mean they should be allowed to return to care.

I don't allow doctor's to give permission to return. I get to decide that as I am the one actually caring for the child...kwim?

The doctor's note is to state the diagnosis only.
Chellieleanne 03:13 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I started out that way but just because a child is cleared of anything contagious doesn't mean they should be allowed to return to care.

I don't allow doctor's to give permission to return. I get to decide that as I am the one actually caring for the child...kwim?

The doctor's note is to state the diagnosis only.
Well a doctor diagnosis gives more peace of mind though in deciding if the child is ready /not contagious/what ever it may be. if doctor says it is ok then I am more likely to say ok than to say no they need to stay home still. And even if doctor gives the ok, my dcm usually will just stay home anyway with her child until he feels better.
MarinaVanessa 03:40 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by Chellieleanne:
I just want to say with the cough, my older son had a cough for a good 4 months as a baby before it was finally determined to be environmental allergies and went away on its own. So it could just be something that is around your house or that you use to clean that is causing it? Just a thought

Did they give your son meds? I know this DCG is/was taking medicine but I'm not sure what . I know at one point antibiotics were prescribed but her cough never went away. I asked at one point if they gave her an inhaler but DCD said no. Not sure what to think. Not enough to go by and say they're lying but there's enough to be suspicious. I'm thinking it's time to require an actual form to figure out what she has. She's been coughing since the day of our interview.
Chellieleanne 04:15 PM 05-05-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Did they give your son meds? I know this DCG is/was taking medicine but I'm not sure what . I know at one point antibiotics were prescribed but her cough never went away. I asked at one point if they gave her an inhaler but DCD said no. Not sure what to think. Not enough to go by and say they're lying but there's enough to be suspicious. I'm thinking it's time to require an actual form to figure out what she has. She's been coughing since the day of our interview.
First doctor had said it was asthma and gave an inhaler, I tried it a couple times but did nothing and sure didn't like the thought of the steriods in my baby, I did not like that doctor at all, he never paid attention to anything I was concerned over. Once we moved and changed insurance I finally got a new doctor who told me straight up it was environmental allergies and would go away eventually as he got older and his airways developed more. He also showed me In my sons nose and how it was inflamed and a little swollen which contributed to the coughing as he couldn't breathe through his nose. Since coughing was the only symptom he didn't prescribe anything but told me to call or come in if any other symptoms came up. Sure enough the coughing stopped about a month or so after that visit and I didn't really change anything other than vacuuming more often at home since we don't smoke and are rarely around people who do.

Have her doctor sign off on what is going on and anything that has been done to diagnose the coughing. That is what I would do, after my experience at least.

Good luck in what ever path you take and I hope the coughing stops soon!
Tags:doctor's note, form, form for sick child
Reply Up