Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Black Eye And I Feel Bad....
tenderhearts 02:14 PM 01-31-2011
My 12 mo old dcb got a black eye today. I feel horrible even though I didnt' do it but it makes me feel so bad when someone gets hurt here. I had just sat down in the rocking chair to feed the other baby and he came running towards the chair, biffed it and hit the top of his eye on the wood leg of the chair. In all my years of daycare I've had the normal owies here and there, but never a black eye, but I always feel so bad when they do get hurt. It's not terrible and it's only right on the brow bone, some lights it looks worse than others, I called mom to let her know and she laughed and said I'm sure he'll have many more. I just felt bad....
Sunny Day 02:24 PM 01-31-2011
awww, that's hard. I feel bad when kiddies get hurt too--thank god, not too many injuries, but I did have a little boy fall at the playground and he had such a bad bump that I called his mommy and she took him to the hospital (he was fine btw). I felt TERRIBLE! We just have to do our best and realize that they will get hurt from time to time and that no matter how close we watch, sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. Don't beat yourself up about it--his mama is right, I'm sure he'll have more!
kitkat 02:26 PM 01-31-2011
OWWWWW~ for both of you! Sending hugs your way!
lvt77 02:28 PM 01-31-2011
Oh NO... dont worry too much. I had a dcg that was about the same age just started walking and tripped over her own two feet. She smacked her head on the leg of the wooden highchair and had a huge golfball size bruise right in the middle of her forehead. I felt really bad, even worse because that weekend was her 1st bday party and she was going to have this massive black and blue welt on her head.
I took a pic with my iphone and sent it to mom and dad right away and said look what your little one did today at DC. they were not mad, but I still felt bad.
Be happy that you feel bad becuase if you didnt then there would be something wrong...
momatheart 04:14 PM 01-31-2011
I know what you mean. I too feel so bad when a child gets hurt on my watch. Then I over think it and drive my self crazy. Well now after 7 years of daycare in a center I have learned to not beat myself up over it. I do however still feel really bad.
SilverSabre25 05:36 PM 01-31-2011
I have had parents who run the gamut of reactions...one set, their newly walking daughter tripped over her own two feet and bit her own lip enough that it bled a bit--that set questioned me over and over and over about what "really" happened and was really upset that she'd gotten "injured". Another set, their son was bitten on the face by another dcb and they shrugged and said, "yeah, and he probably deserved it for something he did to the other boy!"

I prefer the second set . But still, that being said, kids get hurt, it's part of growing up...but i still feel really bad whenever it happens. The only injuries acquired here have been bites, scratches, bruises, and a bit lip or three.
DCMomOf3 05:47 PM 01-31-2011
I am glad they are the type of parent that can go with the flow. it's always scary but at least they understand.
tenderhearts 07:15 PM 01-31-2011
thanks everyone, yes these parents are one of the best. I haven't had many injuries in my daycare either. Usually just a scrape here and there and one other goose egg, a boy ran right into the corner of my wall and had the goose egg right down his forhead in a straight line, but other than that none in 13 yrs. He hasn't been walking long and it's always scaring me when they the little ones start to walk fast, well he's trying to run. I thought alot today about whether or not I should get rid of the rocking chair because both little ones 12 mo and 10 mo love to stand up to it and try to rock it, but then I thought well if it's not the wooden rocking chair it could be the huge wooden train track table that he could have fell in to or this or that so I decided that's not really an option. When dad picked up he said, you know he's had so many close calls we knew it was going to happen and this wont be the last, so I still felt terrible but at least they understand. thanks ladies
Tags:black eye, injury
Reply Up