Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need A Place To Put This Kid!
crazydaycarelady 03:03 PM 10-11-2012
He is a small 18mo who has been in my care for 6 weeks. He is VERY busy pretty naughty and doesn't listen. I have been watching him like a hawk but I am getting weary. When he is awake he does things like pulls all the toilet paper off the roll and pushes small babies over, grabs the sign in sheets and scribbles all over them, eats crayons, rips the kids projects while they are trying to work.

I have a play yard gate type thing. He can get out in 2 seconds. Naptime would be my salvation but he can get out of a pak-n-play in a nano second. Today I resorted to putting him in the exersaucer but he got out of that too. I do not have a high chair but I need a place to confine this child at times.

I know "confine" is politically incorrect - but replace me with any other person, have them spend a whole day with this child, and they will be looking for a means to confine him too. Even when he is right next to me he is rotten - pulling babies out of the chair, etc.

Help me - he is wearing me out! I cannot get rid of him either. I have his older sister who is great and also they paid me for the whole semester upfront so I would have to give them a BIG refund!
familyschoolcare 04:06 PM 10-11-2012
Hugs to you. I have no ideas for you. Other than to say you are not trying to confine him but rather ensure his safety while you fix luch, go pretty, change a diaper ect ect.
countrymom 04:56 PM 10-11-2012
I have the same issue but its the crying that accompanies the naughtiness.
daycarediva 05:19 PM 10-11-2012
I would invest in a high chair with wheels. YIKES! Have you talked to the parents? Even at this age his behavior sounds extreme.
Heidi 05:19 PM 10-11-2012
I have an 18 mo that has the same personality, only he's a big guy. He ever so innocently walks up to the cruisers and "oops" pushes them right over.

I just shadow him, and he goes home before nap, precisely BECAUSE he "doesn't nap" and "climbs out of his crib" at home. He will NOT be offered a full time spot!
EchoMom 05:56 PM 10-11-2012
I don't have any ideas other than what you've already mentioned. But don't feel bad, they MUST be confined at times for their safety. I put 2 year olds in their PNPs sometimes when I need everyone to just take a break for 20min. so I can regroup mentally, nurse my DS, shut down escalating behavior, etc. They won't die or suffer just by being contained for a period of time. I guess if the superyard doesn't work, then baby gates won't keep him in a certain room or space??
crazydaycarelady 07:36 PM 10-11-2012
Maybe I do need to get a high chair. I am guessing he'd get out of it too though.

His family describes him as "busy." I know he is young but I am thinking there might be some kind of issue though. It is not the way they are parented because his 3yo sister is fine.
Crystal 07:45 PM 10-11-2012
Keep his hands busy. Play Dough, sand play, drawing. And sometimes, you can put him in the high chair to do those things. ( although it has worked with toddlers here using the preschool table and chairs.....they feel like a big kid and WANT to sit at the table. )

Good luck.
mom2many 08:12 PM 10-11-2012
I have an 18 mth old that is just like this!...he is constantly on the go and always looking for mischief! He keeps me on my toes and I try to never let him out of my sight. If I do need to leave the room, my ears are keenly listening to his little footsteps and what he might be doing! I have an open floor plan, so I can usually keep my eyes on him without any problem. I've watched him for 2 mths now, so it has gotten easier...or I have just finally gotten smarter and anticipate his every move! His latest caper was emptying the box of kleenex, while I was changing a diaper...my fault for leaving it where he could reach it, but none the less a mess! He's the same size as the 3 yo I watch, so it makes it tricky finding places high enough he can't reach!

I have been doing as Crystal suggested and keeping his little hands busy! I always strap him into the booster seat while painting, coloring or playing playdough, so I can clean him up before he gets down. He loves activities like this and it helps to keep him occupied doing fun things that I can control and supervise and he isn't just looking for things to get into all of the time!

Good Luck to you!
Meyou 03:02 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I have an 18 mth old that is just like this!...he is constantly on the go and always looking for mischief! He keeps me on my toes and I try to never let him out of my sight. If I do need to leave the room, my ears are keenly listening to his little footsteps and what he might be doing! I have an open floor plan, so I can usually keep my eyes on him without any problem. I've watched him for 2 mths now, so it has gotten easier...or I have just finally gotten smarter and anticipate his every move! His latest caper was emptying the box of kleenex, while I was changing a diaper...my fault for leaving it where he could reach it, but none the less a mess! He's the same size as the 3 yo I watch, so it makes it tricky finding places high enough he can't reach!

I have been doing as Crystal suggested and keeping his little hands busy! I always strap him into the booster seat while painting, coloring or playing playdough, so I can clean him up before he gets down. He loves activities like this and it helps to keep him occupied doing fun things that I can control and supervise and he isn't just looking for things to get into all of the time!

Good Luck to you!
This reminded me of the spring when I was dealing with my DCG who was a busy body and 16-18 months at the time. I forgot to close the diaper cupboard all the way and turned my back to help someone. In less than 60 seconds she had emptied all the diapers and a large amount of wipes into a huge pile on the floor. I turned and said her name and she smiled sweetly, grabbed one last wipe from the container and tossed it in the air. It was so saucy, funny and frustrating all at the same time. She's 22 months now and much better.

Her favorites (at the table to keep busy) were barrel of monkeys, pom poms, feathers and sensory bottles, especially sparkly ones.
DBug 04:51 AM 10-12-2012
This is why my playroom is completely childproofed. There's nothing in there that I wouldn't want the kids to play with. Kleenex is up out of reach, there are no curtains to swing on, blinds are pulled up, and gates are up. I have a small house so I can keep a close eye on the kiddos while I'm making lunch or whatever.

At that age, I just wouldn't allow dcb access to anything I didn't want him to play with. My own boys were the same unless I had the tv on .

For my current "unpredictable" dcb, I put him in a booster seat with seat belt at the table if I need to. That's where he sits at naptime too, since he doesn't sleep. Yes, he has managed to push himself in the chair across the kitchen floor, but he isn't able to get into anything that would hurt himself or others.

Good luck! These ones will keep you on your toes!!
DaisyMamma 05:11 AM 10-12-2012
Just remind yourself that he could grow out of it
Maybe reconsider accepting semester long payments??? ...just a thought.

There's nothing wrong with putting him in a high chair and giving him some toys for 20 minutes here and there while you cook lunch, change diapers, go to the bathroom, etc etc. It really is for his safety as well as others.

I have these and LOVE them. They fit right at the preschool table without the tray so that the little kids, or busy kids, can sit with everyone else.
DBug 05:17 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:

I have these and LOVE them. They fit right at the preschool table without the tray so that the little kids, or busy kids, can sit with everyone else.
So cute!! But I have to give OP a heads-up -- I had something similar for two of my squirrelly kids. They can walk around with them strapped to their backsides . OP, you may want to borrow one or at least keep the receipt to make sure that a similar seat will actually keep them safely in one place .
bluemoose_mom 05:57 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by DBug:
So cute!! But I have to give OP a heads-up -- I had something similar for two of my squirrelly kids. They can walk around with them strapped to their backsides . OP, you may want to borrow one or at least keep the receipt to make sure that a similar seat will actually keep them safely in one place .
This made me laugh to picture it! I have a little dcb who I believe, based on how he is now, will be the one to do this.

Thanks for the laugh.
E Daycare 06:10 AM 10-12-2012
Duct tape and Velcro wall. I think every daycare should have those things

I kid of course

Do you have a stroller with a 5point harness. I know they can rock it and try and tip it over but wedge it close to the wall maybe? Just till you get a high chair maybe? I don't know really. I have a Maclaren that has a harness in it that my kid couldn't undo but some others maybe quick to learn.

GOOD LUCK!
crazydaycarelady 07:28 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by :
But I have to give OP a heads-up -- I had something similar for two of my squirrelly kids. They can walk around with them strapped to their backsides
Bwahahaha.......I laugh because I did put him in a rocking vibrating chair (good up to 30 lbs) and he flipped it over immediately and was crawling around like a turtle!

Have any of you seen those childrens strap on chairs attached to walls in bathroom stalls? Now THOSE would be handy in the dc setting! LOL
mom2many 09:01 AM 10-12-2012
I have the Fisher Price booster seats that strap onto the back and underneath of my dining room chairs. They have a strap to buckle them in and a tray that you can use or not. I have never had an issue with anyone getting out and it's very secure and works great!
Sugar Magnolia 10:07 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
He is a small 18mo who has been in my care for 6 weeks. He is VERY busy pretty naughty and doesn't listen. I have been watching him like a hawk but I am getting weary. When he is awake he does things like pulls all the toilet paper off the roll and pushes small babies over, grabs the sign in sheets and scribbles all over them, eats crayons, rips the kids projects while they are trying to work.

I have a play yard gate type thing. He can get out in 2 seconds. Naptime would be my salvation but he can get out of a pak-n-play in a nano second. Today I resorted to putting him in the exersaucer but he got out of that too. I do not have a high chair but I need a place to confine this child at times.

I know "confine" is politically incorrect - but replace me with any other person, have them spend a whole day with this child, and they will be looking for a means to confine him too. Even when he is right next to me he is rotten - pulling babies out of the chair, etc
Help me - he is wearing me out! I cannot get rid of him either. I have his older sister who is great and also they paid me for the whole semester upfront so I would have to give them a BIG refund!
Toilet paper and sign in sheet could be put out of reach, crayons for those under 2 should be closely monitored and removed from use if chewed on. This child needs a separate activity while older kids are doing projects.
If he is climbing out of stuff like the pac n play, exerciser, our anything else, honestly, he should not be in them! The manufacturers directions almost always say to discontinue use once a child begins to climb out, because they will get hurt, possibly a serious injury. You're right, "confined" is not just politically incorrect, in my state, it is a serious licensing violation, the kind that comes with a stiff fine. If a child is not eating or sleeping, "confinement" of any kind is prohibited. I agree with the law. I toured a place I was considering taking a job at. One girl and one boy were strapped on high chairs, crying, with like 2 toys each. Horrifying!!!
I am sorry the boy is making you crazy/miserable, I feel for you, defiant toddlers are tough. I would refund the money and term. If he can't function as part of the group, he shouldn't be in the group. But please don't confine him, he sounds un-confineable, and this could lead to an injury or a very unhappy baby.
crazydaycarelady 11:09 AM 10-12-2012
My goal with this child is to teach him how to function in the world, not remove every temptation from him. The world was not designed to accomodate his bad behavior so he will need to learn what is apporpriate. He needs to know that it is inappropriate to take the sign in/out sheet out of the folder holder on the wall and ruin it. He needs to know that toilet paper should remain on the roll. He needs to be told "no" so that he will not eat crayons.

I shadow him 10 hours a day but since I have other children here sometimes there are moments when I cannot be by his side monitoring his every movement. It is completely unreasonable for him to have free-roam all day.

I am exploring my options with this child, but I am not putting him in unsafe places once he gets out of them. What if a child is in a booster seat eating and the state came in, would that be confinement? When I was a child all moms had a play pen and it was not looked down on to put a child in one. Of course this child would leap right out of one anyway but it wouldn't have been frowned on to try. LOL
Sugar Magnolia 11:48 AM 10-12-2012
I agree with you, he should learn to function in your environment.
I see your point about the tp, but raising the sign in sheet above his reach is really easy fix.
If you have to shadow him completely, that is not fair to the other kids or you. I just don't think confinement is the answer, since he seems bound and determined to pull a Houdini. I'm totally sure you wouldn't put him in danger on purpose, it's just worrisome the guy might accidentally get hurt. I think by mentioning that you can't term because of the large refund, you kind of feel that he should be termed, ideally, but can't do so right now. Just keep redirecting, not much else you can do. Yes, if the state came in and a child was eating in a booster chair, there would be no violation. If they were just sitting in there with toys, it would be. I hope you can find a solution, I truly do. Just be careful, and definitely discuss any chair or other forms of very temporary confinement with the parents. As a parent, I would want to know how and for how long my child was being confined. I support you, I really do, just trying to help.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 10-12-2012
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
What if a child is in a booster seat eating and the state came in, would that be confinement?
But there is a big difference between confining someone so you don't have to deal with the behaviors and putting someone in a safety device so they don't get injured.

I agree with PP, about having to shadow him and to remove the things that are dangerous or unsafe for him, this includes the sign in/out sheet and access to the bathroom.

Create an environment where the choices he has are age appropriate and safe. No crayons out, no toys or items he has the chance to destroy within reach and no access to the table where other children are working.

I understand and sympathize with you about a kid like that....my own son was a walker at 6.5 months old and was lovingly called "Godzilla" as he could destroy an entire room within minutes if anyone took their eyes off him. He required continuous hand holding and shadowing until he was close to 2.5-3 yrs old.
DaisyMamma 01:24 PM 10-12-2012
So far I haven't had that happen! Oh my!
Heidi 01:46 PM 10-12-2012
This is why my playroom is completely childproofed. There's nothing in there that I wouldn't want the kids to play with. Kleenex is up out of reach, there are no curtains to swing on, blinds are pulled up, and gates are up. I have a small house so I can keep a close eye on the kiddos while I'm making lunch or whatever.

At that age, I just wouldn't allow dcb access to anything I didn't want him to play with. My own boys were the same unless I had the tv on .

For my current "unpredictable" dcb, I put him in a booster seat with seat belt at the table if I need to. That's where he sits at naptime too, since he doesn't sleep. Yes, he has managed to push himself in the chair across the kitchen floor, but he isn't able to get into anything that would hurt himself or others.

Good luck! These ones will keep you on your toes!!
lol...there is NO such thing as "child proofed" for some kids. My friend has a climber...at 2, she found him on top of the refrigerator, and I found him on top of a pile of oil cans at Menards (just happened to be there the same day).

He's 18 now...still alive somehow...
Reply Up