Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Self-Medicating Is Fine At 6 - Right?
nothingwithoutjoy 09:00 AM 11-29-2016
Grrrr....just had a 6-year-old tell me that if his throat hurt during rest time, he'd need to take some medicine. I asked if he had medicine, and--yup!--out of his backpack comes liquid ibuprofen and a little scrap of paper on which he's written "66," "so I know how much I'm supposed to take."
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy:
Grrrr....just had a 6-year-old tell me that if his throat hurt during rest time, he'd need to take some medicine. I asked if he had medicine, and--yup!--out of his backpack comes liquid ibuprofen and a little scrap of paper on which he's written "66," "so I know how much I'm supposed to take."
Oh my!

The parent didn't tell you the meds were in his backpack?!

Wow! What if another child got ahold of it??

I would be seriously concerned about the entire situation... 6 is awfully young to be self-medicating.
sharlan 09:30 AM 11-29-2016
I would've had an instant fit and taken it away. No way would I allow a child to have medicine in his backpack.

Back when my kids were in school that was grounds for suspension.

I would call Mom and find out what the deal was.

My grandson, 9, self medicates but that is at home and he always tells someone that he's taking Motrin. He gets severe migraines and his Motrin is kept upstairs.
daycarediva 09:33 AM 11-29-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would've had an instant fit and taken it away. No way would I allow a child to have medicine in his backpack.

Back when my kids were in school that was grounds for suspension.

I would call Mom and find out what the deal was.

My grandson, 9, self medicates but that is at home and he always tells someone that he's taking Motrin. He gets severe migraines and his Motrin is kept upstairs.
Yes. My ODS was 9-10 when we allowed him to TELL US before getting his own pill. He gets severe migraines (dr diagnosed) and takes a motrin for them. He still checks with me to make sure it's ok though! OMG! 6!

Hopefully he just put it in his bag and his mother is unaware and will speak to him. I doubt it, but I can hope.
cassiesue 09:39 AM 11-29-2016
OMG I would be livid!!! I do sick care, but no way in H&ll would I let a kid bring their own medicine and keep it in his backpack.

In fact, I have a permission slip they sign for routine OTC meds that I provide. That way I know what is actually in the bottle. When I first started the twins mom, actually sent adult Nyquil in a child's medication bottle advertised as hylands. They were 4! This is when I purchased my own OTC meds.

66 was it written like a child or adult? I would be tempted to term. Do you have a medication policy?
nothingwithoutjoy 09:50 AM 11-29-2016
Oh, yes, I have a very clear medication policy, and forms they are to fill out. He had written it himself, but mom must have given him the medicine, I would imagine. And yes, I took it away and won't be giving him any, since I have no written permission. Mom is getting a call, but I had to vent first so I could calm down a bit!
midaycare 10:22 AM 11-29-2016
Oh geez. Come on people...
cassiesue 08:42 AM 11-30-2016
And for the record in case my post was misunderstood, I got that the caregiver had no liability in this and it was definitely not with her knowledge or consent. I was mad at the audacity of the daycare parent only...
cassiesue 08:43 AM 11-30-2016
And just curious, but what did mom say?
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by cassiesue:
And for the record in case my post was misunderstood, I got that the caregiver had no liability in this and it was definitely not with her knowledge or consent. I was mad at the audacity of the daycare parent only...
That is not always true.

Even if we (caregivers) aren't aware of something doesn't mean we aren't still liable.

That is why so many providers do not allow diaper bags or backpacks. ANYTHING on my property is my responsibility.....even if I wasn't aware or didn't give permission.
sharlan 09:13 AM 11-30-2016
Update?
cassiesue 09:22 AM 11-30-2016
True Blackcat31! The captain must always go down with the ship.

I just thought that maybe my comment was misunderstood. And tried to clarify. Yes provider has legal liability, but she was NOT condoning this practice!

I was just astounded a dcp would do this or have medicine in reach where the child could get without her knowledge!

We providers are a dying breed so we need to all stick together!
Blackcat31 09:29 AM 11-30-2016
Originally Posted by cassiesue:

We providers are a dying breed so we need to all stick together!
So true!!
Ariana 09:52 AM 11-30-2016
That poor child! I feel so bad that his parents are this dumb
nothingwithoutjoy 09:31 AM 12-01-2016
Cassiesue...I understood your post wasn't against me; thank you! :-)

I wimped out on calling, but sent a very firmly worded email to the parent who'd dropped off. (Parents are divorced.) Turns out she didn't know either; the other parent had packed it for the child to have at her house. I felt awful for blaming the wrong parent, and apologized.

In the end, both parents apologized and have said it won't happen again, but I do think I'm going to have to be more alert to what's in bags. Ugh. (I don't usually allow bags, but since this child is going back and forth between two houses, I've allowed it.)
Reply Up