Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Fed Crib Regulations
ABCDaycareMN 06:53 AM 12-18-2012
I am beyond upset right now. I have web working with my daughters crib manufacture to get the COC for her crib to see if it meets the new guidelines. It wa only purchased 1.5 years ago. At first I was told it did comply and they would send me the COC for it. Well after a month or two I got an email stating that it did comply and the COC was attached. And me not putig much thought into it about to send it in to my licenser I read that it didn't have the new regulation code on it. I contacted the company again and just got word that it does not comply and that I have to get a new crib.

I have 2 weeks to get a new crib for my daughter that no other child will ever be in!
DCBlessings27 07:06 AM 12-18-2012
That's really frustrating. My fil hand-built my crib for my 3dd. I can't use it during daycare hours since he built it, but I'm going to use it after hours for the baby I'm having next week. I use a pack n play for my dcbaby and will use a pack n play for my own infant during daycare hours because I am not buying a new crib.

I hate that my state can dictate the crib I use for my own child.
ABCDaycareMN 07:11 AM 12-18-2012
Right, I can't even have it up in her room because I have a ddb in a pack and play in there. It has to be totally removed from my house or put up in my bedroom the only off limits room I have.

I just can't believe they told me it complied when it really didn't leaving me no time to get a new one!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by ABCDaycareMN:
It has to be totally removed from my house or put up in my bedroom the only off limits room I have.
I was told we cannot have a non-compliant crib on the property. Not even locked away in a garage or stored in the attic.

I was also told that some crib manaufacturers can send you a kit to make your crib compliant with the new laws. Is that an option for you?

It's sad because now, you are stuck with a crib that you really can't even sell since even parents not providing child care should really only use cribs that meet the new safety standards.

We have also been "warned" to expect some new safety standards for PNP's in 2013 too.
Willow 07:59 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I was told we cannot have a non-compliant crib on the property. Not even locked away in a garage or stored in the attic.

I was also told that some crib manaufacturers can send you a kit to make your crib compliant with the new laws. Is that an option for you?

It's sad because now, you are stuck with a crib that you really can't even sell since even parents not providing child care should really only use cribs that meet the new safety standards.

We have also been "warned" to expect some new safety standards for PNP's in 2013 too.

Do you have any additional information on that?

My bedroom and basement are listed as provisional on my license and I was told by both my previous licensor as well as my current that if I had a foster baby, or now if DH and I ever had a baby that I could keep (non-compliant) equipment in those places as long as no one was ever in them within daycare hours.
Meeko 08:06 AM 12-18-2012

This is why I got cribs when my PNP's got worn. I was nervous about buying new PNP's only to have to replace them in a year.

Our licenser came by for a quick un-announced visit last week (100% pass). He saw my new cribs and told me it was a good choice as they are hearing lots of rumors about PNP's in the not too distant future.
Blackcat31 08:19 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
Do you have any additional information on that?

My bedroom and basement are listed as provisional on my license and I was told by both my previous licensor as well as my current that if I had a foster baby, or now if DH and I ever had a baby that I could keep (non-compliant) equipment in those places as long as no one was ever in them within daycare hours.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it was the law.....just what my licensor told me. Apparently my county will be citing providers if ANY non-compliant crib is on the property.

Since no one has ever gone into my garage and/or my attic, I don't suppose they would have any clue whether I had a non-compliant crib or not and none of those spaces are listed as used daycare space either. I was just repeating what my licensor told me.

Personally, I don't use cribs anyways. I use a PNP so I am anxiously awaiting the new (if any) changes the new safety standards will bring in that regard. Seems to me the newer PNP's are no where near the quality the older ones are which is really disappointing.
Willow 08:26 AM 12-18-2012
That's the crummiest part BC, so much is open to interpretation which makes it really hard for providers to navigate what is law and what is mere preference!!!

I use a PNP so I am anxiously awaiting the new (if any) changes the new safety standards will bring in that regard. Seems to me the newer PNP's are no where near the quality the older ones are which is really disappointing.
Ditto!

And I agree!

I've been eye-ing up mini's and portables on Amazon after getting a letter and several cards in the mail indicating PnP's are likely on the way out next year.
Blackcat31 08:33 AM 12-18-2012
I have a really really nice one but noticed it was on the recall list because there is an attachment you can use to store your wipes and diapering supplies in that COULD break or tip....you know just in case you decide to set baby on that part......

So even though I have never used that particular accessory that came with the PNP, I cannot use the actual PNP and there is nothing wrong, defective or dangerous about the PNP itself.

I already do not use any other baby equipment other than a high chair so the next logical step would be to just stop taking infants all together. (*sigh*)
laundrymom 09:08 AM 12-18-2012
I turned a crib into a garden bench ( thank you PINTEREST) and she tried to site me for it.

I may have argued with her a bit.
itlw8 09:15 AM 12-18-2012
I got a free crib last year I could have had 2 but thought my evacuation crib was fine. I was told it was. but now it isn't.... Blew that one.
Willow 09:18 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I turned a crib into a garden bench ( thank you PINTEREST) and she tried to site me for it.

laundrymom 11:38 AM 12-18-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
She s no crib on property period. No matter what I was using it for. I argued that 1. Rules don't go into effect until dec&
2. It's a bench. Not a crib.
She said, well I guess we will see in the spring won't we?

I freaked, snapped a few pics, forwarded them to her boss and got a printout of the ' wow that's so cool!! No worries about compliance' email for my spring visit.
LaLa1923 08:28 PM 12-18-2012
I am beyond upset right now. I have web working with my daughters crib manufacture to get the COC for her crib to see if it meets the new guidelines. It wa only purchased 1.5 years ago. At first I was told it did comply and they would send me the COC for it. Well after a month or two I got an email stating that it did comply and the COC was attached. And me not putig much thought into it about to send it in to my licenser I read that it didn't have the new regulation code on it. I contacted the company again and just got word that it does not comply and that I have to get a new crib.

I have 2 weeks to get a new crib for my daughter that no other child will ever be in!

Do you have your receipt? Call the manufacturer of her crib asap! If it doesn't comply they have to offer you a solution! I got my money back 4 years after I bought the crib! I didn't even have a receipt!
ABCDaycareMN 04:56 AM 12-19-2012
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
Do you have your receipt? Call the manufacturer of her crib asap! If it doesn't comply they have to offer you a solution! I got my money back 4 years after I bought the crib! I didn't even have a receipt!
I tried. Nothing! I swear the lady I'm working with is a complete idiot! I asked a very strait forward question and she just did her own thing... I feel she didn't even read my question. Super annoyed!

Maybe I'll try to contact the company again and talk to her boss!
Bookworm 01:34 PM 12-19-2012
Our center just replaced 9 of 10 cribs (evacuation crib was fine) 3 wks ago. They were only 1.2 yrs old and in excellent condition. It seemed like such a waste to see them in the dumpster.
LaLa1923 06:33 PM 12-20-2012
I tried. Nothing! I swear the lady I'm working with is a complete idiot! I asked a very strait forward question and she just did her own thing... I feel she didn't even read my question. Super annoyed!

Maybe I'll try to contact the company again and talk to her boss!
Now I'm interested even more!! I've delt with several recalls

Whats the crib you're referring to? Brand, make model, serial number etc.
LaLa1923 06:34 PM 12-20-2012

what is a COC?
Blackcat31 10:23 PM 12-20-2012
what is a COC?

Certificate of compliance.
Scout 04:01 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

In case any of you will have extra cribs you can not use, I also saw one on Pinterest that was turned into a desk. Very cute.
Scout 04:03 AM 12-21-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I got a free crib last year I could have had 2 but thought my evacuation crib was fine. I was told it was. but now it isn't.... Blew that one.
That stinks! Did they keep changing the regulations? So many of you seem to have been shafted during this.
Reply Up