Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Put in Your Newsletter if You Have One?
legomom922 08:05 PM 09-12-2010
If you use a newsletter to give to parents, how often do you do it, and exactly what type of things do you put in it? I'm thinking of starting one, but not quite sure where to begin. Any suggestions?
gkids09 08:29 PM 09-12-2010
I have done a newsletter once a month for a few years now. In it, I put reminders, such as "Remember to bring diapers and wipes for your child if he/she is in diapers!" or "Remember we will be closed on ____ for ________"
I also have a quote of the month, where I put something cute, clever, or funny one kid said during the month. I have a Brag Box where I write every child's first name and something they learned during the month. I also have a few other things in there, just announcements or information the parents need. I have also just started doing a weekly newsletter. This one is not as in depth. It just tells the parents what our theme for the week is, the books we will be reading, activities we will be doing, things they can do at home relating to this theme, and announcements for the week (birthdays, for example). Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to see my newsletter(s). Don't want to put any of the kids' names on here for everyone in the world to see.
Jewels 03:58 AM 09-13-2010
I do a seasonal newsletter, so just every four months, In it I talk about anything new I am going to be doing or adding to my program, For example, Grant applications became available on sept 1st, And I'm applying to hopefully update my swingset, or get money towards it, And I write that in there, I write in any new kids that will be starting, or started since the last newsletter, I write in any birthdays that are upcoming, Any days off I know I will be having, I also put, Supplies I will need in the next four months, Example, snowpants if it happens to snow before december, I usually talk about our curriculum, how our days will be goingI always finish it, with how communication is very important, contact me with any questions or concerns right away......etc. I dont know that I could find enough to write every month, but I also send home detailed daily sheets with everything we did that day to every parent, they do get my curriculum newsletter every month though.
AfterSchoolMom 04:22 AM 09-13-2010
I do mine every two months during the school year for my SA's. I include days that the children will be here for half or full days, days off, upcoming holiday parties, field trips, and reminders to parents (such as, don't forget that my closing time is.... or, please remember to blah blah blah....). At the beginning of the year I include tips on transitioning back to school, reminders of my rules (for the parents to go over w/ their kids), etc. At the end of the year I recap what we've done all year. I started sending mine out via email - it's just greener.
melissa ann 04:31 AM 09-13-2010
I do once a month. I put in what days the school is closed so we won't have to take my dd to the bus stop, if I have to close for any appts or if I won't be long, my mom/mil will fill in for me. Also, if there is any b-days coming up or a holiday party(halloween), and policy reminders that have been slipping for some parents. And the themes for the weeks in that month.
GretasLittleFriends 05:32 AM 09-13-2010
I wrote my first newsletter at the beginning of September. It was mainly geared towards the kids going to school. I put in there some reminders about our bus schedule, that I require that I be listed as an emergency contact for the kids (due to busing issues, but won't pick up sick children). I also put in upcoming events (closures, birthdays and such). I recently had a high school graduate start working for me through an intern grant program so I introduced her in the newsletter as well. I'm not sure how often I am going to do these. I do send out monthly or every other month closure notices. I am open weekends, but sometimes we have things come up and need to close for a Saturday or Sunday.
SilverSabre25 05:36 AM 09-13-2010
Another seasonal newsletter here--in fact I've just been starting to think about writing up the fall one soon. I put in any days I'll be closed, reminders of what "seasonally appropriate clothing" means for the next few months (this season it's going to be--"remember that while the mornings are cool, the afternoons are still very warm so dress your child accordingly!" because I keep getting kids dressed in winter clothes for high seventies afternoons...), birthdays, and whatever else I can come up with to fill the page.
MommyMuffin 05:44 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by gkids09:
I have done a newsletter once a month for a few years now. In it, I put reminders, such as "Remember to bring diapers and wipes for your child if he/she is in diapers!" or "Remember we will be closed on ____ for ________"
I also have a quote of the month, where I put something cute, clever, or funny one kid said during the month. I have a Brag Box where I write every child's first name and something they learned during the month. I also have a few other things in there, just announcements or information the parents need. I have also just started doing a weekly newsletter. This one is not as in depth. It just tells the parents what our theme for the week is, the books we will be reading, activities we will be doing, things they can do at home relating to this theme, and announcements for the week (birthdays, for example). Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if you want to see my newsletter(s). Don't want to put any of the kids' names on here for everyone in the world to see.
I would love to see it but I dont know how to pm...and I am in my early 20s and have always had a computer!!
GretasLittleFriends 06:47 AM 09-13-2010
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I would love to see it but I dont know how to pm...and I am in my early 20s and have always had a computer!!
Click(left click) her name in the thread and "Send a private message (pm)" is the second one down.
momma2girls 08:21 AM 09-13-2010
I do a monthly one, but should change it to every 2 months- I place in Birthdays for that month, any new friends, and days to remember such as show and tell, pajama day, bring your favorite movie day, etc. Then I place in any reminders- days off, Holidays, etc... It has worked really well so far.
seashell 08:40 AM 09-13-2010
I send out a monthly newsletter via E-mail and I also post it out our facebook page. That way, no one can ever say they lost it!

I also do a weekly reminder which includes a menu. Here's an example of each.

September Newsletter

Hi Everyone!

September is here and that means the start of a new school year! We've had a great summer playing outside, splashing in the water, watching clouds, having picnics and chasing butterflies. Now that fall is returning, it's time to get back into our classroom and discover new ideas and concepts.

Our theme this month is From Home to School. Our topics include:

Letters - A,B,C
Numbers - 1,2
Shape - Circle
Value - Friendship
Community Helper - Police Officer
Colors - Red, Yellow, Green and Blue
Nursery Rhyme - The Muffin Man
Home and Family
Friends
Transportation
Opposite - Stop / Go
Special Events - Friendship party
Grandparent's Day

A few notes for the month -

We will be following the schedule included in the parent info packet you received a few weeks ago. It is important that the kids arrive by 9am so that we can go down to our room and start our day. If you arrive after 9, please send me a text so that I know your here. I can't hear the front door when we are downstairs. Also, we will be downstairs until 4:30, so if you will be arriving early, please let me know so that we can come upstairs early or send me a text message so that I know you are here.

We will be having a Friendship Party on Sept 9. I will be asking each parent to provide a fruit that begins with the letter A, B or C for our Friendship Salad. Watch for a note to come home with your child.

We will be celebrating Grandparents Day this month and we will be sending a suprise in the mail to grandma and grandpa. If you could please provide me with mailing addresses, that would be appreciated. Also, if you have any photographs of your child with grandma or grandpa that you would like to share for our discussion that would be wonderful. If you use other words for grandma or grandpa with your child (nana, papa, etc) Please let me know.

Our Parent's Night Out returns this month and is scheduled for Sept 25 from 6 to 11. A sign up sheet will be posted on the board in the kitchen as the date approaches. Our PNO is open to family and friends as well! Please send your child having already eaten dinner and dressed in jammies. We will make our own snack, play some games and watch a movie. The cost is $20 for the first child in the family and $10 for each sibling.

I am looking for items that can be used with our transportation theme. If you have any books or puzzles we could borrow, that would be wonderful. We have plenty of boats,trains, cars and trucks, but we could use toy busses and trains if you have any we could use for the month. Thanks!

This weeks Menu -

Monday -

Breakfast - English Muffin with egg and cheese, grapes, milk
Lunch - Mac and cheese, carrots, strawberries, milk
Snack - Turkey and Cheese Roll - Up, juice

Tuesday -

Breakfast - Corn muffins with butter and jelly, strawberries, milk
Lunch - Chicken tenders, fries, corn, apples, milk
Snack - PBand J crackers, juice

Wednesday -

Breakfast - Apple Pancakes, turkey bacon, milk
Lunch - Turkey and cheese sandwich, sunchips, banana, milk
Snack - Yogurt, cheerios, juice

Thursday -

Breakfast - Yogurt, toast, banana, milk
Lunch - Chicken florintine with pasta, corn, grapes, milk
Snack - Apples, goldfish, juice

Friday -

Breakfast - Biscuit with ham and cheese, milk
Lunch - P B and J sandwich, veggie stix with ranch dip, applesauce, milk
Snack - COOKIE DAY - Snickerdoodles and milk

That's all for now. Enjoy your week!

Shell

Here's this weeks update, also emailed and posted on facebook:

Hi Everyone!

Our fall is in full swing and the kids are enjoying daily classroom time again. We have a great schedule and we're having a wonderful time exploring and learning new things!

Some teriffic "firsts" for the kids last week included:

T can now write her name without help!

S can finally tell the difference between Brown and Black and officially knows all her colors!

L went potty for the first time at Shell's house.

I am very proud of all the kids and I can't wait to see what they accomplish next!

A few items to note this week:

Thank you to everone who brought a fruit in for our friendship salad. The kids learned that sharing and working together as friends bring sweet rewards!

Our first Parents Night Out of the new year takes place on Saturday, Sept 25th from 6 - 11pm. The cost for the PNO is $20 for the first child and $10 for each sibling. Family and friends are also welcome! Our September PNO theme is WELCOME FALL! Snacks, stories, games and activities will center around our theme. Please sign up on the parent board in the kitchen and remember to feed your child dinner first and send them in their PJ's.

Please remember that tuition is due on Friday. Late payments have recently become a real problem and I have been left no choice but to begin adding late fees. Effective immediately, there will be a $5 per day late charge added to all tuition payments that are not made by Friday afternoon. I regret having to do this, but frequent late payments are becoming a problem.

Have your checked our Facebook page lately? Each day you will find our activities posted. Pictures of the kids hard at work and play are added daily and upcoming events are listed. Not a facebook friend? Just send a friend request to ******x. Family and friends can be added to our page. Please have them add your name with their request. I will then ask if you know the person and if you would like them to be able to view our page. Otherwise, our page is private!

Health form reminder - Please make sure you return your child's health forms ASAP. Thanks for your cooporation!

This week's menu

Monday -

Breakfast - Scrambled Eggs, toast, blueberries, milk
Lunch - Chicken salad sandwich, peas and carrots, peaches, milk
Snack - Turkey and cheese roll up, juice

Tuesday

Breakfast - Corn Muffins, banana, milk
Lunch - Mac and cheese, carrots, strawberries, milk
Snack - P B and J crackers, juice

Wednesday

Breakfast - Pancakes with strawberries, milk
Lunch - Chicken Tenders, mashed potato, corn, apples, milk
Snack - Fruit Yogurt Parfait, juice

Thursday

Breakfast - Yogurt, toast, apples, milk
Lunch - Turkey and cheese sandwich, sunchips, banana, milk
Snack - Cucumbers, rance dressing goldfish, juice

Friday

Breakfast - Mini Bagel with butter, peaches, milk
Lunch - Cheese Ravioli, mixed veggies, blueberries, milk
Snack - COOKIE DAY! Chocolate Chip, milk

That's it for this week! Up next week? Nick and Wyatt turn 2!!!!!!

Have a great weekend!

Shell

I LOVE using facebook as a place to post daily lessons, pics of the kids, announcements, a closing calander...If you would like to see our page, please let me know. I keep it private and don't take friend requests from anyone but parents and approved family members, but if you send me a request and let me know your from daycare.com, I'll let you in to poke around for a few days!
tenderhearts 09:35 AM 09-13-2010
I started doing a monthly newsletter about 3 months ago. My parents really seem to like it,(at least they say they do). I welcome new kids, day off reminders, any other reminders, birthday announcements, I try to find a cute quote, but in July I think it was I had none of these for my newsletter so i didn't do one since I didn't have anything to say.
MarinaVanessa 11:29 AM 09-13-2010
I do mine monthly also with a mixture of topics:
- colors we've been working on
- letters
- Spanish words
- Simple sign language words
- weekly themes
- Fun projects we'll be doing
- Interesting articles that I read about child development, safety etc.
- Special occasions coming up
- New kids
etc.
Tags:newsletter
Reply Up