Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lice
nikia 07:30 AM 12-09-2010
I am at my wits end!!! I have one child who has lice constantly, I mean every week she has new egg sacks. She has been treated so much that her head is now full of scabs and the back of her neck has a rash. The mom is a hairdresser, so I am hoping she knows what she is doing. No one in my family has had them, I treat my house everyweek too because she is here this is becoming quite the expense. She does treat her everyweek, but they keep showing up. Since she is a hairdresser I told her she can come check all the other kids, but I am not seeing any on the others.

So this morning she came and checked the other kids, none of them have anything. But one child is gone today so the mom is insisting that is her. What can I possibly say to this parent? I feel bad that the dcg has scabs and this is such a hassle. It is also a hassle for me because I have to treat my house over and over again. Any advice?????
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 12-09-2010
Parent is probably forgetting to treat things like hair brushes and accessories as well as the car seat....lice was a huge problem when I worked in Head Start and almost every case we had that was reoccurring was due to not treating things like care seats etc. The mattresses and pillows also need to be treated. Use an iron if items can't be placed in a dryer. A freezer or outdoors (if you live in the right area) for 48 hours works too! She can also get a prescription shampoo from her doctor because I've heard that lice can build up an immunity to over the counter treatments/meds if cases keep reoccurring. I had one case of lice in my child care and it was years ago...but I lost 2 families because I didn't term the family that kept bringing it in the first place. Good luck!!

Go here for some good info: http://www.headlice.org/
Crystal 07:39 AM 12-09-2010
uhhhh....no. She should not be at your house. If they have been unsuccessful in getting rid of it, they need to see a doctor. the doctor can prescribe a stronger medication to kill the lice. mom needs to be nit combing DAILY until there are ZERO nits in her hair.

NO WAY in H-E-double hockey sticks would I have that child in my house.

And, for Mom to come in and check other kids, and blame the issue on a kid who is not there.....ummmm, no, she shouldn't even have had her hands on the other kids. (this would piss me off if I was the parent of one of the other kids)

What can you say? Take your child to the doctor, clean your ENTIRE house and every single piece of fabric in it and get rid of the problem before bringing your child to daycare.

THAT is what I would say to her. Even if meant I had to lose her as a client.
missnikki 07:41 AM 12-09-2010
One piece of advice- don't let her check the kids. You can find out how and do it yourself. When we get lice here, we send out an info sheet to all the parents telling them what to look for, and that each child will be checked at drop off. That way, it becomes everyone's responsibility to handle the outbreak to minimize its spreading. The girl w/ scabs would benefit from a doctors visit at this point, so I would prob tell the mom that it is falling under the 'contagious rash' category and you cannot accept her until she is symptom free by your inspection, not hers.
jen 07:44 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
uhhhh....no. She should not be at your house. If they have been unsuccessful in getting rid of it, they need to see a doctor. the doctor can prescribe a stronger medication to kill the lice. mom needs to be nit combing DAILY until there are ZERO nits in her hair.

NO WAY in H-E-double hockey sticks would I have that child in my house.

And, for Mom to come in and check other kids, and blame the issue on a kid who is not there.....ummmm, no, she shouldn't even have had her hands on the other kids. (this would piss me off if I was the parent of one of the other kids)

What can you say? Take your child to the doctor, clean your ENTIRE house and every single piece of fabric in it and get rid of the problem before bringing your child to daycare.

THAT is what I would say to her. Even if meant I had to lose her as a client.
DO THIS!!! Oh my God, THIS!!!!!
nikia 08:07 AM 12-09-2010
Okay so mom just picked up because there was more so she is taking her to the doctor.

The other parents were okay with her checking the kids because they were tired of me sending messages every week to please check your child, they will be checked by me upon returning to daycare. This has been going on to 2 months. So they were like fine let her check them then she will maybe stop blaming everyone. I have a small group and even if I dont mention names they all figure it out. 3 moms work at the same place and then the other 3 dont so process of elimination.

I bet its the car seat they are forgetting, they brought it in one day for grandma pick up and it was filfthy.

Thanks Ladies, I felt bad for saying something to them to make them feel dirty or like it was their fault, but in reality if noone has it here it has to be something they are not killing at their own home. Thanks for the backbone building once again
QualiTcare 08:14 AM 12-09-2010
i caught lice at school when i was in kindergarten. i remember my mom took ALL of my stuffed animals too - she stripped everything!

then, she would get me up at night and dig through my head under a lamp. i guess her theory was the bugs come out at night! i'll never forget that...but i got rid of it quick and never got it again.
MarinaVanessa 08:18 AM 12-09-2010
Good luck with this. Lice is something that I absolutely HATE! Fortunately I've never had lice in my daycare and my daughter has never had any but I've had family members that have and it's awful.

I think that you should check the kids at drop-off before the parent leaves to make sure that the kids don't have it. If one has it then don't let that child stay. Sounds to me like this parent is either clueless, embarrassed or in denial. I feel for you. I hope it all gets sorted out and resolved.

I got a mental image of her at the doctors' telling him that her child got lice at daycare .
nikia 08:59 AM 12-09-2010
Guess who the doctor blamed??? The daycare shocking isnt it
MarinaVanessa 09:30 AM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Guess who the doctor blamed??? The daycare shocking isnt it
This would make me very mad. At this point if you are sure that NONE of the other kids have had lice or have it I would have a serious talk with DC mom. At this point laying everything out point-blank is necessary.

"I know that you choose to believe that _____ has gotten lice from daycare but because none of the other kids have signs of lice even after being checked at the door and the only child that has them is yours it is obvious to me that your child is getting them elsewhere. Your child is has been the only child to show signs of itching, nits and actual lice whereas none of the other kids have had any. Only your child has needed to be sent home because of this. I will continue to check the childrens heads until none of the kids, including yours, have them. If your child, or any other child, shows signs of lice or nits that child will not be allowed in daycare until they are lice or nit free." End of discussion.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/treatment.html
Here is treatment infomation for lice that you can print out and give to the parent from the CDC.
countrymom 09:39 AM 12-09-2010
the problem is, I will bet you that mom isn't doing it properly (just because she's a hairdresser doesn't mean anything) ask mom what stuff is she using (many people use home remedies) she needs to keep her child home for roughly the next few days and just keep combing her hair with the nit comb.
how about a hair cut at this point
is this child going somewhere else, like a cousins house or a friends house, maybe sleeping over.
Candyland 06:30 PM 12-09-2010
Don't know if you can suggest this - I've never had to try this - but since you mentioned that the little girl already has scabs due to the medication, etc...ask her mom to use olive oil in her hair; then wrap up and wash out in the morning. I read in another forum that it works! The oil suffocates the lice. Just wanted to share.
marniewon 07:08 PM 12-09-2010
I've heard mayo works too - same way, put it on, keep it on for a while, wrapped in a towel. I'm not sure you want to try home remedies at this point though, after going so long with whatever else they were trying not working.
kendallina 07:16 PM 12-09-2010
Originally Posted by countrymom:
the problem is, I will bet you that mom isn't doing it properly (just because she's a hairdresser doesn't mean anything) ask mom what stuff is she using (many people use home remedies) she needs to keep her child home for roughly the next few days and just keep combing her hair with the nit comb.
how about a hair cut at this point
is this child going somewhere else, like a cousins house or a friends house, maybe sleeping over.
This is what I'm thinking too...that the little girl is going to someone else's house and getting it from there.

Oooooh, I hate lice outbreaks!!
Live and Learn 08:05 PM 12-09-2010
Last year my child's classroom had a lice outbreak so the school kept sending home emails warning of the outbreak with icky photos of lice....really close up photos....ick just seeing those pics made me itch! I am friends with the school secretary so after weeks of the photo emails I told her (half joking) that I was going to start emailing her photos of hemeroids if she didn't tsp emailing me photos of lice
Seriously though tell mom since she is the only one with lice she needs to stay home until they are Completely Gone.
Crystal 05:51 AM 12-10-2010
I would tell Mom, that although her ACCUSATIONS are incorrect and unfounded, it honestly DOES NOT MATTER where her daughter is getting it from, SHE HAS IT and MOM needs to do something about it.

Another thing, if MOM doesn't stop with the accusations and deal with her own child's SUFFERING, then MOM is NEGLECTING her daughter and she needs to be warned that you are a MANDATED REPORTER.

I'd also tell Mom that if she continues to BLAME the other family/child, then SHE can find another child care that will allow her daughter to come with head lice.

I am REALLY angry for you.....
BentleysBands 05:53 AM 12-10-2010
MY HEAD ITCHES NOW.....
Crystal 05:55 AM 12-10-2010
The more I think about this, the more angry I get. HOW DARE that MOm accuse another family because she feels guilty for not handling her end and doesn't want to be the one to blame.

Honestly, with her accusing other families, basically calling YOU a LIAR, as well as the continuous head lice, I'd send her packing today.
nikia 06:09 AM 12-10-2010
I was angry too and just kept getting more angry, but then this morning, the one little girl who wasnt here yesterday came today and guess what she had I stopped counting at 20 egg sacks and then there were actual hatched bugs. So I have come to the conclusion that she is the one that has brought them here unless I am mistaken. I am guessing because of the amount she has and that some have hatched. The other little girl, whos mom is blaming other families only had 4 egg sacks. So I called the mom and told her she has to leave. At this point I am so sick of dealing with lice I could scream and would love to just term these people
nikia 06:11 AM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
MY HEAD ITCHES NOW.....
mine too I keep having my head checked cause Im so freaked
Crystal 06:24 AM 12-10-2010
Just because the other little girl has them NOW doesn't mean she started the cycle. She may have gotten them from the other child....if the other child has scabs, SHE has had it for a LONG time....not the other way around. And, if that's the case, then unforunately, IT IS your fault for allowing the child that you KNEW had head lice come to care. ( I am assuming, based on your OP and that since this girl has been coming THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR that she was in care, forgive me if I am mistaken) No offense...but any time we allow a "contagious" child attend, no matter what it is, and someone else "catches" it, then it IS our fault. With head lice, ALL children should be checked at the door and not allowed past the front door if you see any nits. They should be sent out IMMEDIATELY and not allowed to come through the front door until treatment has been successful.

You need to send out a notice that you have a "NO NIT" policy. One nit, and they leave.

I'd also close for the day and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Actually since it is now the end of the week, you may as well stay open and do it over the weekend. And ask ALL parents, as a precaution, to treat their child and their home for head lice, just to be safe. And, you need to be treating your house DAILY until you know the issue is resolved. I'd remove any and all stuffed animals, fabric, throw rugs, dress up, etc. for a minimum of two weeks. Vaccuum thoroughly, including furniture, daily. Wash child care bedding daily. Do not allow jackets, blankies, etc. to touch one another. Do not allow ANYTHING to be brought in from the children's houses.
BentleysBands 06:33 AM 12-10-2010
i agree w/crystal!!

you need to close asap to all families so that YOUR entire house can be treated!! then when each family arrives, YOU check at front door...
nikia 07:40 AM 12-10-2010
Just because the other little girl has them NOW doesn't mean she started the cycle. She may have gotten them from the other child....if the other child has scabs, SHE has had it for a LONG time....not the other way around. And, if that's the case, then unforunately, IT IS your fault for allowing the child that you KNEW had head lice come to care. ( I am assuming, based on your OP and that since this girl has been coming THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR that she was in care, forgive me if I am mistaken) No offense...but any time we allow a "contagious" child attend, no matter what it is, and someone else "catches" it, then it IS our fault. With head lice, ALL children should be checked at the door and not allowed past the front door if you see any nits. They should be sent out IMMEDIATELY and not allowed to come through the front door until treatment has been successful.

You need to send out a notice that you have a "NO NIT" policy. One nit, and they leave.

I'd also close for the day and CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Actually since it is now the end of the week, you may as well stay open and do it over the weekend. And ask ALL parents, as a precaution, to treat their child and their home for head lice, just to be safe. And, you need to be treating your house DAILY until you know the issue is resolved. I'd remove any and all stuffed animals, fabric, throw rugs, dress up, etc. for a minimum of two weeks. Vaccuum thoroughly, including furniture, daily. Wash child care bedding daily. Do not allow jackets, blankies, etc. to touch one another. Do not allow ANYTHING to be brought in from the children's houses.
Yes I agree it is my fault for not catching the nits on monday when the other child came that I had to send home today. No offense taken. I wasnt sure if the one girls with scabs got the scabs from all of the chemicals on her head or from scratching so much. She had the nits yesterday and left to go to the doctor. I didnt see any on her monday, tuesday or wednesday. The other one with actual hatched bugs was here monday and today. I didnt see any on monday but from now on I am getting a magnifying glass and looking with that.

Every weekend I clean and spray with the chemicals, but everyday I vaccumm the couch and underneath cushions all of that stuff, mop the floor do all laundry in hot water (blankets, pillows and such.) The very weird thing to me is that my family is not getting them, not in the couple months this has been going we have not had them. I send a text every weekend to please check your child for lice and treat in need be. Everyone tells me nope didnt see anything. I dont know what else to do at this point except treat the children myself and charge the parents, or go to their house and hold their hands. Sorry for the vent its just frustrating for me when I miss them in thier hair and then when they come back 4 days later the eggs have hatched. Im mad at myself and the parents.
missnikki 08:23 AM 12-10-2010
Since mom is so quick to blame, let's play the game that way:

MOM is a hairdresser? Out of all the people involved, from the kids to the parents to the daycare provider, who is exposed to hair the most? THE HAIRDRESSER! Has anyone checked MOM? I officially blame the mom. There, done. Next song!!!
Unregistered 11:09 AM 12-10-2010
I can't even hear the word "lice" without getting all itchy!

I have terrible vision in general, but when it comes to spotting lice, eggs and nits in any hair color and any hair texture! My sisters would never fully treat their kids or they would just not bother with it and every single time that we would see my family over the holidays, my daughter would get it! I stopped visiting my family because I just got sick of dealing with their inability to take care of their kids!

Now my head itches!!!
DCMomOf3 12:19 PM 12-10-2010
Tell her to shave little girls head. That will get them out of her hair. The couches, and hair brushes and car seats are another story though.
nikia 12:33 PM 12-10-2010
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Tell her to shave little girls head. That will get them out of her hair. The couches, and hair brushes and car seats are another story though.
She actually said she should shave her head
nikia 04:26 AM 12-23-2010
So here we are two weeks later and the little girl has lice again!!!!!! She was treated a week ago today and yesterday mom called me at 10 (dad dropped off at 8) to tell me she had lice. Omg so I didn't check their heads this week which was stupid of me I guess but I am sick of doing this. Sick of the parents not treating everything properly because it keeps coming back. Sick of having calls after she is here to tell me she picked lice out of her hair in the morning. Sick sick sick!!!! So I was up until 2 spraying chemicals washing everything and decided to treat everyone in my family regardless if I saw anything (which there was nothing ). Then my day started today at 530. I am tad tired oh yes and the inlaws are coming today for christmas!!!!!!!!! Uggggg
KEG123 05:43 AM 12-23-2010
You're a better woman than me. I'd have termed her by now. Seriously, this is ridiculous!
momofboys 05:59 AM 12-23-2010

We were always told that it is NOT a good idea (per our pediatrician) to treat someone who does not have lice/nits as a precaution. The logic is that the chemicals are very harsh for kids & also if the child were to then actually get it in a few days that you then wouldn't be able to apply treatment again. (can only use it typically one time in a certain timeframe, once every 7 days/10 days?? not sure). Just a thought
nikia 06:33 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by KEG123:
You're a better woman than me. I'd have termed her by now. Seriously, this is ridiculous!
Well actually because of this problem I am seriously considering closing my daycare. I really cannot do this anymore with the lice. I am paying more to treat my home and wash everything in hot water over and over again than what this family pays me a week. It really has become to much for me added on top of late pays and bringing children sick.
Live and Learn 07:54 AM 12-23-2010
These parents don't respect you or your family or your home. Call the mom and have them pick her up!!
I have never had a parent treat me like this.....honestly....to call you two hours after drop off to confess to lice again!!!!!...what was she thinking? Why did they bring her to your home in this condition again? You need to stand up to this family or they will continue to take advantage of you.
I hope that your inlaws don't get lice too!!!
Yucky, yucky, ick!
Good luck!
MarinaVanessa 07:59 AM 12-23-2010
Well actually because of this problem I am seriously considering closing my daycare. I really cannot do this anymore with the lice. I am paying more to treat my home and wash everything in hot water over and over again than what this family pays me a week. It really has become to much for me added on top of late pays and bringing children sick.
At this point I would just term. Do any of the other kids have lice? Does the other girl that had it also have it again? If not then now you know for sure that it's the just the one girl with the hairdresser mom. There's no reason why you should have to deal with accusations and a headache.

Make sure that YOU CHECK EVERYDAY! I know you're probably angry at yourself for not doing it this week but there's no point in crying over spilt milk. Just start now and refuse everyone that has it right at the door. So far you've been lucky that you and your family have not gotten lice so just start checking it now at the door to make sure that it doesn't fester in your home. If you love what you do don't let this ruin it for you. Just get rid of the bad seeds and move on to the next client. Believe me, I've had plenty of days when I wished that I could just close my DC but you just have to push through it and get in control again.
nikia 08:10 AM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
These parents don't respect you or your family or your home. Call the mom and have them pick her up!!
I have never had a parent treat me like this.....honestly....to call you two hours after drop off to confess to lice again!!!!!...what was she thinking? Why did they bring her to your home in this condition again? You need to stand up to this family or they will continue to take advantage of you.
I hope that your inlaws don't get lice too!!!
Yucky, yucky, ick!
Good luck!
I have no idea what why she brought her here and then called 2 hours later and at that point she had already been here and been on furniture and everything else so I still had to treat everything. She is now on an oral medication from the doctor and mom is keeping her home for the next 10 days.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
At this point I would just term. Do any of the other kids have lice? Does the other girl that had it also have it again? If not then now you know for sure that it's the just the one girl with the hairdresser mom. There's no reason why you should have to deal with accusations and a headache.

Make sure that YOU CHECK EVERYDAY! I know you're probably angry at yourself for not doing it this week but there's no point in crying over spilt milk. Just start now and refuse everyone that has it right at the door. So far you've been lucky that you and your family have not gotten lice so just start checking it now at the door to make sure that it doesn't fester in your home. If you love what you do don't let this ruin it for you. Just get rid of the bad seeds and move on to the next client. Believe me, I've had plenty of days when I wished that I could just close my DC but you just have to push through it and get in control again.
No the other girl does not have it just the hairdressers child.

Thank you for the encouragment. To weed out I need to get rid of 3 or 4 families. Some pay late all the time and do not care about late charges and others never pick up on time and again do not care about overtime charges. But you girls are right I need to stand up for my family and my home.
nannyde 08:15 AM 12-23-2010

We don't agree on much Sister but I got your back on this one.

If a child has lice from that day forward their heads are checked BEFORE they enter the day care by me. Parent must come five minutes early every day and wait during the check.

I remove their clothes and put them into my clothes EVERY DAY for weeks. I bag their coat and put it outside all day. Same with shoes. I put their clothes in my freezer during the day and then remove them right before departure. (I know this is extreme but it's way easier than treating the house)

NO nit policy.

Nikia is right that the cost of treating and working in your house is more than you make in salary. Once the parent KNOWS you will check every day and refuse them at the door with even one nit then they will check the kid every day UNTIL you let off the checking.

Check every kid every day. Check them when they ARRIVE and check them befor they leave. That way you know the child did not get them at your house.

You can add a 250 dollar cleaning fee for every occurance and have her sign it. Big money makes them check before bringing the kid.

I had two cases the first two years I did day care but luckily none since. I don't do school aged care though now. My day care parents would FLIP OUT if we had head lice here.
MarinaVanessa 08:59 AM 12-23-2010
To weed out I need to get rid of 3 or 4 families.
Here's what I would do ... I would choose the family that was the worst one and that just really ticked me off and I would give them a 2-week notice (I would choose this family with the head-lice problem). I would not mention anything to any of the families. I would advertise (or call from my waiting list if I had one) to fill the spot.

Once they were gone I would wait until the other families asked about the termed family. If the family that was asking had a problem with paying me on time I would say that I had termed because the other family didn't pay on time, if this family was lat in picking up I would say that the other family was late in picking up the child etc. I would hope that this would work as a way to hint and "scare" the family into correcting the problem.

If this doesn't work then I would wait until my replacement family was with me for a few weeks to make sure it worked out with them and then I would re-evaluate the other families. If they were still doing things against policy that I couldn't live with then again I would give the next most irritating family a 2-week notice and so on.
I would deffinetely not term everyone at the same time and I've done this once to a family that was outright disrespectful. Once the other families realized that I wasn't going to stand for it even little problems like picking up their kids 5 minutes late were fixed. Just an idea. It's not like you have to be as aggressive as I was.

Originally Posted by :
Some pay late all the time and do not care about late charges and others never pick up on time and again do not care about overtime charges.
Maybe it's time to charge for services at the start of the week before giving care? And also starting a "no pay, no stay" policy? Worked wonders for me.

"For various reasons the tuition payment date has been changed from pick-up time on Friday for the previous week of services to drop-off Monday for the next week of services. This means that payment for daycare services will be required in advance prior to services rendered.

If payment for services is not received before the start of care then families will not be offered daycare services and children will not be allowed to stay until the balance has been paid in full and a late payment fee of $5 per day will be added to their accounts. I would like to take this time to remind you that tuition is based on enrollement and not on attendance and is based on a flat weekly rate. Any days that a child misses daycare due to failure to pay will not be refunded or deducted from the weekly rate."
Former Teacher 04:35 PM 12-23-2010
I am at my wits end!!! I have one child who has lice constantly, I mean every week she has new egg sacks. She has been treated so much that her head is now full of scabs and the back of her neck has a rash. The mom is a hairdresser, so I am hoping she knows what she is doing. No one in my family has had them, I treat my house everyweek too because she is here this is becoming quite the expense. She does treat her everyweek, but they keep showing up. Since she is a hairdresser I told her she can come check all the other kids, but I am not seeing any on the others.

So this morning she came and checked the other kids, none of them have anything. But one child is gone today so the mom is insisting that is her. What can I possibly say to this parent? I feel bad that the dcg has scabs and this is such a hassle. It is also a hassle for me because I have to treat my house over and over again. Any advice?????
Don't know if this will help but.....

I remember reading a few years ago about this home daycare in town who had it in their handbook that if a child has to be treated more than once in a small amount of time (like in your case) then there was an extra $75.00 per occurrence charge. This is due to the increase washing and disinfecting that was to be done. I don't remember the exact wording.

But maybe if you do something like that it might help. Poor girl to have her head like that
Former Teacher 04:44 PM 12-23-2010
Originally Posted by nannyde:
You can add a 250 dollar cleaning fee for every occurance and have her sign it. Big money makes them check before bringing the kid.
Sorry nannyde...I posted my comment about the cleaning fee and then I decided to read the other posts and saw yours.

Great minds think alike
Abigail 02:32 PM 12-25-2010
YUCK, lice are gross. I saw pictures and that was enough. I know my sisters and I all got lice in early elementary school and we all had to sit at the kitchen table (in our lovely 80's house, lol) and have mom comb our hair forever and put a cap over our heads. She took all our stuffed animals and tied them shut in big black garbage bags to sit for weeks. She did laundry for all our bedding and blankets and jackets. I don't remember what else, but I was grossed out as a child. I've never had to deal with it with a child yet and I would probably be the first to call someone over to check it out since I don't know much about it. So glad my home daycare will only be on one level of the house with (praying!) a separate entrance/exit.

I would definitely term this family. They sent their child to daycare after brushing lice from her that morning? Do you have it in your handbook anything about termination policies or head lice? Even if you didn't, it's a goodo enough reason. I would write up a paper with your records of how much crap this family has caused your business. I'm not so sure you need to have the family sign since you probably have not each time you've sent home. I wouldn't hesitate to send a notice in the mail. It could be immediate termination for such a huge issue and over Christmas, I can't believe this family! Maybe someone can give you advice how to send an immediate termination letter including the date the parent can come pick up anything of hers. Then you don't even have to care for the child again.

If you want to keep the family, I would still come up with a letter stating this incident and have them sign it. Mention that if it happens again it's grounds for immediate termination.
Tags:lice, nits
Reply Up