Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Screwed....
meganlavonnesmommy 05:42 AM 11-17-2011
I have 4 full time, and one part time.
One of my full time is temporary, I knew this when she started a month ago. She leaves next week.
One of my full time is on vacation until mid January, so I only get half fees while he is gone.

One of my daycare moms just quit her job today, so I will lose her two kids.

So for the month of December I have one full time child. My income will go from $700 a week to $200 a week, right before Christmas.

I dont hold out much hope of filling the three empty spots either. We are moving sometime between April-June, so no one will want to start with me when we are leaving. I had two calls yesterday, and that was the first question they asked, was how long we will be here for. I dont feel right lying, so was honest and said in the spring.
mismatchedsocks 05:45 AM 11-17-2011
Post for part time or drop in kids too. Those can always help, even if not much money its something.

Also I had an opening until February, and posted that I would give them their last week free if they took this opening. I didnt think I would fill this spot, but had some calls on it, and filled it. Maybe something like this!?
meganlavonnesmommy 05:54 AM 11-17-2011
I've been advertising since August for the spot that the temp child took. I've advertised for full time, part time, temp care, drop in, whatever I can take.
dEHmom 06:01 AM 11-17-2011
change your ad. if parents are looking for childcare, they've already looked at your ad. Make a fresh one, so it looks new.

sorry to hear this. I went through the same thing a few months ago. Also, I'd go and revise your policies (let it go with the family that's leaving but start fresh with new families) that you pay your monthly "rental" fee regardless of attendance or not.
cheerfuldom 06:03 AM 11-17-2011
open your hours. If my income went down that much, I would take anything until April.
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 11-17-2011
You can also bite the bullet and take in SA's that are out of school for Christmas break.

The vast majority of daycares will be closing for extended periods in December and for parents that either can't or don't want to stay home....you could be their "hero".

Check your schools website... Ours are closed for two weeks straight. The big centers follow the school calendar, here...

I have been getting calls daily, now, for folks desperate for drop-in. It is crazy what they are offering to pay.
beachgrl 06:16 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
You can also bite the bullet and take in SA's that are out of school for Christmas break.

The vast majority of daycares will be closing for extended periods in December and for parents that either can't or don't want to stay home....you could be their "hero".

Check your schools website... Ours are closed for two weeks straight. The big centers follow the school calendar, here...

I have been getting calls daily, now, for folks desperate for drop-in. It is crazy what they are offering to pay.
I need to make an ad for just this, hadn't even thought about that but I think I will only have one, maybe two ft for nov/dec and one ofnthose just started this week. I will be posting for SA and others whose daycares may be closed.. I am only taking Christmas eve and day off here.
dave4him 06:20 AM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
Ithat was the first question they asked, was how long we will be here for. I dont feel right lying, so was honest and said in the spring.
I am sorry to hear that. Why would people ask that anyway? Its like walking into a new bussiness in town and saying, how long do you think you guys will be here? Hope things get better for you
meganlavonnesmommy 06:29 AM 11-17-2011
They ask how long we will be here because of where I live. We live on an Army military base, and I do care for military families. Because we all move every 2-3 years, its a common first question. It sucks, but it's part of the military life.

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll start advertising for christmas break, and maybe do some extended evenings and saturdays for families who want to do christmas shopping. I already work 6am to 5pm, and dont want to work extra hours, but we will need the $.

Then I will just hope I can get some temporary kids from January until April.
Meeko 06:36 AM 11-17-2011
Run a "holiday special" ad.

Try and get moms who want to go shopping, hang out with their friends etc. to bring their kids to you as drop-in's. Maybe offer a simple Christmas craft, hot cocoa, a holiday movie etc. You could do this either during the day or offer evening care (or both) so parents can go to office parties etc. (Remember this is only temporary) Anything to bring in a few more $$$
Hang in there...HUGS!
Tags:bad economy, income, income - lost
Reply Up