Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diapers
krosey5 01:46 PM 06-09-2012
Hello! I'm just getting into the daycare business & have had clients ask if I am willing to use cloth dipaers. I am, as long as they show me. I've never used cloth diapers. After talking with a few providers & parents, the question "to rinse or not to rinse" came up. I am under the impression that most providers do not rinse the BM (they simply dump the stool) & that it can actually be a regulation no no to do so. I live in Illinois & I do not see where my regulations specify it. I guess some states regulations say something to the affect of not "playing in the child's diaper"? I did read the section pertaining to it, but it only says:

"A toilet shall be easily accessible so that the contents of reusable diapers may be disposed of before placing the diapers in the diaper pail."

That's it.

So, would it be OK to use a sprayer hooked to the toilet to rinse CD for parents? OR is this going above & beyond the call of duty?

More info: I do not have CD baby, yet, but would like to know what is & is not acceptable when I do. I like to be informed so I don't mislead parents & cause confusion. I also do not want to say that it is against regulation IF it is not.
cheerfuldom 01:54 PM 06-09-2012
Originally Posted by krosey5:
Hello! I'm just getting into the daycare business & have had clients ask if I am willing to use cloth dipaers. I am, as long as they show me. I've never used cloth diapers. After talking with a few providers & parents, the question "to rinse or not to rinse" came up. I am under the impression that most providers do not rinse the BM (they simply dump the stool) & that it can actually be a regulation no no to do so. I live in Illinois & I do not see where my regulations specify it. I guess some states regulations say something to the affect of not "playing in the child's diaper"? I did read the section pertaining to it, but it only says:

"A toilet shall be easily accessible so that the contents of reusable diapers may be disposed of before placing the diapers in the diaper pail."

That's it.

So, would it be OK to use a sprayer hooked to the toilet to rinse CD for parents? OR is this going above & beyond the call of duty?

More info: I do not have CD baby, yet, but would like to know what is & is not acceptable when I do. I like to be informed so I don't mislead parents & cause confusion. I also do not want to say that it is against regulation IF it is not.
Do you have a licensor that you can ask for clarification? I know a lot of CD moms and the vast majority will not expect you to rinse diapers (and many dont even rinse themselves....just run it thru the wash as is). I think that even if rinsing is okay, you are perfectly in your right to say that you dont offer this service. Trust me, its going to get old once you have a half dozen kids running around your house. Every extra little thing adds up!
krosey5 02:00 PM 06-09-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Do you have a licensor that you can ask for clarification? I know a lot of CD moms and the vast majority will not expect you to rinse diapers (and many dont even rinse themselves....just run it thru the wash as is). I think that even if rinsing is okay, you are perfectly in your right to say that you dont offer this service. Trust me, its going to get old once you have a half dozen kids running around your house. Every extra little thing adds up!
I do, but I tried all week last week to reach her. We ended up playing phone tag for 2 days & she was out for the rest of the week. I will run it by her as soon as I can. I do agree, every little thing adds up. I guess I just want to be well informed & ready w/an answer if I am asked to do this service. Thanks!
Abigail 05:56 PM 06-09-2012
I know the kids I have in CD have a sprayer at home and the parents told me at the interview it's really easy to use at home, but they do not expect me to use one. I wouldn't personally, but I am happy to CD kids at daycare! If a solid bm occurs I just flip it over the toilet. No shaking or extra effort. What drops, drops what doesn't gets put in the diaper bag.
youretooloud 06:33 PM 06-09-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I know the kids I have in CD have a sprayer at home and the parents told me at the interview it's really easy to use at home, but they do not expect me to use one. I wouldn't personally, but I am happy to CD kids at daycare! If a solid bm occurs I just flip it over the toilet. No shaking or extra effort. What drops, drops what doesn't gets put in the diaper bag.
Me too. But, use your thumb to hold the insert or doubler.. I've dropped a few in the toilet.
Michael 07:31 PM 06-09-2012
We also had a previous article on Cloth Diapers: https://www.daycare.com/news/cloth_diapers.html
jojosmommy 07:44 PM 06-09-2012
I have a Bum Genius diaper sprayer. I love it for my own kids but I would never use it on another kids poop/diaper. Above the call of duty. I have never had anyone cloth diaper here. Not sure what I would commit to. I know our regs are pretty strict.
krosey5 03:55 AM 06-10-2012
Thanks, everyone! I really am more than happy to CD for parents. Actually after doing a little research, I wish I had done the same for my kiddos!
Tags:cloth diapers
Reply Up