Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is this a reasonable policy?
SilverSabre25 01:59 PM 08-06-2012
I'm thinking about adding this to my sick child policy...

"If the ill child is not picked up within one hour from the time of contact, then I will charge $10/hour for sick child care--this covers the extra time it will take to clean and sanitize my home to prevent the spread of illness, as well as any additional cleaning that arises (from vomit, etc)."

I'm not sure if this is reasonable or not...what do you think?
Blackcat31 02:01 PM 08-06-2012
My policy states that families have 45 minutes after I call to pick up a sick child or they will be considered late and the normal late fee of $1 per minute applies.

So no, I don't think it is unreasonable at all.
Truly Scrumptious 02:28 PM 08-06-2012
My families have one hour to pick up sick child or I will start calling everyone on their contact list....if I can't get anyone to answer or come and get the child, then it states that I will call CPS. Needless to say, when I call, parents are there in a jiffy!
youretooloud 02:44 PM 08-06-2012
I couldn't do that.

But, my parents are all teachers, so it's not really reasonable to expect them to get someone in their classroom, then them over to my house within the hour.

If I was freaking out about it, (say a child was barfing) I think they would find a way. But, most illnesses aren't so serious that I would want them out ASAP anyway.

I get REALLY mad though, when the parents know the child is probably sick, but send them anyway. Fortunately I rarely have that happen, but when it does, I hold a grudge.
Blackcat31 02:56 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I get REALLY mad though, when the parents know the child is probably sick, but send them anyway. Fortunately I rarely have that happen, but when it does, I hold a grudge.
A quick fix for that issue is a super great idea Cat Herder came up with that I use and can attest to the fact that it REALLY does work;

If the child is sick, the parent can keep them home for the day (24 hours)

If a child gets sent home from daycare, exclusion is an automatic 48 hours instead.

Makes parents really think twice before sending a sick kid to care.

You can kind of tell when a kid gets sick at daycare but they weren't really sick in the morning....or vice versa.... kwim?
justgettingstarted 03:05 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My policy states that families have 45 minutes after I call to pick up a sick child or they will be considered late and the normal late fee of $1 per minute applies.

So no, I don't think it is unreasonable at all.
I LOVE this! I think I will be adding this to my contract when I update it this weekend.
jojosmommy 03:19 PM 08-06-2012
I have that exact thing in my handbook. I remind them when I call they have one hour. I also say its from first call not first time I actually reach you. Funny how the people who send sick kids are also "unavailable" whentheir kid is puking like crazy.
Hunni Bee 03:33 PM 08-06-2012
A quick fix for that issue is a super great idea Cat Herder came up with that I use and can attest to the fact that it REALLY does work;

If a child gets sent home from daycare, exclusion is an automatic 48 hours instead.

You can kind of tell when a kid gets sick at daycare but they weren't really sick in the morning....or vice versa.... kwim?
I was thinking of adding this policy to my handbook, but balked because the norm is 24 (or less!) around here.

Quick question though - if a child gets sent home at 2:00 Monday afternoon, then they can't return til Thursday. But if a kid gets sick at 10:00, they can return on Wednesday at 10, because it has been 48 hours. I would just say the kid that got sick at 10 should stay home two full days but how would you keep parents from nitpicking over this?
Country Kids 03:36 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I was thinking of adding this policy to my handbook, but balked because the norm is 24 (or less!) around here.

Quick question though - if a child gets sent home at 2:00 Monday afternoon, then they can't return til Thursday. But if a kid gets sick at 10:00, they can return on Wednesday at 10, because it has been 48 hours. I would just say the kid that got sick at 10 should stay home two full days but how would you keep parents from nitpicking over this?
Personally I would say for the 10 on Monday morning thing that Wednesday at normal time would be ok. To me that would be two full days home pretty much and I don't want to start the exact time thing. The late afternoon one would be Thursday morning to give them two full days home to rest.
daycarediva 06:38 PM 08-06-2012
My parents that work locally get 30 minutes, then regular late fees apply. Those that work out of town, get their drive time added to that, then late fees apply. I go over this when I call. Recently I had a dcb spike a high fever (104*) within an hour after lunch, it took me 45 minutes to get ahold of Mom, all her emergency contacts didn't answer, I had NO WAY to get this kid tylenol (I am not med certified, and didn't have permission even if I was) I was PISSED when she finally showed 90 minutes later!!!
nanglgrl 07:48 PM 08-06-2012

I love it! I am going to have to add this one. I swear I don't know what some parents are thinking when they dose their child with tylenol and then send them to daycare....and then act surprised when I call around noon because it has worn off and their child is ill. The best is when sibling or the pick up person (grandma/dad) says something like "yeah, he wasn't feeling well last night".
DaisyMamma 07:55 PM 08-06-2012

I love this!
DaisyMamma 07:59 PM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
I have that exact thing in my handbook. I remind them when I call they have one hour. I also say its from first call not first time I actually reach you. Funny how the people who send sick kids are also "unavailable" whentheir kid is puking like crazy.
Such good ideas. I will be adding these things to my policies!
mema 10:48 AM 08-07-2012
I think it is a very reasonable policy. I have in mine also a 1 hour pick up, but as I was just reading thru it last night, noticed I didn't have a charge for after that hour tho Guess I will add that in now. Thankfully I haven't had anyone take more than 30 minutes so far. (knocking on wood!)
SilverSabre25 12:24 PM 08-07-2012
Whoo hoo! I'm glad it's reasonable. It's literally NEVER been a problem, but it seemed like such a good idea.

It's going in my handbook then, and my revamped handbook is DONE! I typed it up yesterday while everyone played. I love portable technology.
Blackcat31 01:22 PM 08-07-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

I don't go by hours anyways so I should have said days. If they get sick at 9 a.m on Monday or 3 p.m. they stay home for the next two days......doesn't matter what time they actually got sick.

The concept works great as the whole point is making parents think twice before doping and dropping their kids off at daycare. I am a firm believer that a single day of rest as soon as you don't feel well, has a huge impact on how sick a person gets and how quickly they recover.

I implemented this idea last year when I was having some trouble with parents doping/dropping but now I have zero issues with illness at all and now when a kid is sick the average length of absent time is only a day.
Reply Up