Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Are There Special Child Care Centers That Can Be Used Only When You Child Is Sick?
Nadia 04:45 PM 10-15-2012
Are there special child care centers that can be used only when you child is sick?
I'm talking for mild cases of flu, cold ... etc.
My daughter had recently a flu. While she had high fever in the first days she was with me at home, but I just do not have any more sick days (I have just changed jobs and still do not have PTO hours accumulated).
The last days she is coughing, but I don't think she will be accepted back in the center because of this.
I'm wondering what are my options. Please share your experience.

Thanks,
Nadia
e.j. 06:50 PM 10-15-2012
We did have one in our area. It was affiliated with a local hospital. I think it all depends on your area, though. I googled "sick child care" and found that there are others out there. You may want to google it, too, to see if there are any facilities in your area. You may also want to call your child care center first just to see if they would be willing to take her back with a cough. I'd respect what they tell you but it never hurts to ask.

I know it can be difficult for a working parent to balance sick kids with work, especially when you have a new job and little to no PTO accrued. I hope your dd is feeling better soon - and that you don't catch the flu she had!
itlw8 05:43 AM 10-16-2012
years aog our hospita had some beds they used for this. Mostly for employees chidren but it was open to the public

I would talk to some of the retired ladies at church and see if they could do substitute care in your home
Lilbutterflie 06:59 AM 10-16-2012
My own 2 cents on this (I have a biology degree)- I think such a thing as a center for sick children would be a very BAD idea. When anyone gets sick, their immune systems are extremely compromised because they are in overdrive trying to fight whatever it is causing the illness. Often times when you hear of deaths from the flu; it's because of secondary infections (other than the flu) caused by an extremely low immune system. If you put a sick child in a facility where they have access to OTHER sick children with varying diseases- that is a recipe for disaster!! Their bodies are then that much more susceptible to the other diseases. Then you go from having a sick child to having a VERY ILL child with multiple things going on. Not exactly worth one day of going to work.

You can check on your state's FMLA policies. Sometimes if you miss to much work from having an ill child- you can file for FMLA and at least protect your job. I had to do this when I was a working mom because my son had asthma. I missed so much work from it that in order to protect my job I submitted it to FMLA and it was approved.

Another idea is to get insurance like AFLAC that might pay you if you had to miss too many days from an ill child. Definitely check into it to make sure something like that would be paid; but it's definitely an option!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 10-16-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
My own 2 cents on this (I have a biology degree)- I think such a thing as a center for sick children would be a very BAD idea. When anyone gets sick, their immune systems are extremely compromised because they are in overdrive trying to fight whatever it is causing the illness. Often times when you hear of deaths from the flu; it's because of secondary infections (other than the flu) caused by an extremely low immune system. If you put a sick child in a facility where they have access to OTHER sick children with varying diseases- that is a recipe for disaster!! Their bodies are then that much more susceptible to the other diseases. Then you go from having a sick child to having a VERY ILL child with multiple things going on. Not exactly worth one day of going to work.

You can check on your state's FMLA policies. Sometimes if you miss to much work from having an ill child- you can file for FMLA and at least protect your job. I had to do this when I was a working mom because my son had asthma. I missed so much work from it that in order to protect my job I submitted it to FMLA and it was approved.

Another idea is to get insurance like AFLAC that might pay you if you had to miss too many days from an ill child. Definitely check into it to make sure something like that would be paid; but it's definitely an option!
This is really good advice! My sister had to file for a FMLA because her youngest was sick so much. It saved her job for sure and her son is now older and not nearly as sick as he was as a toddler.

I think that having sick kids is just part of parenting and I think parents could do themsleves a big favor by having a back up plan in place BEFORE their child gets sick. A grandparent, a neighbor or a family friend that could take their child when they are sick so the parent doesn't have to miss too much work.

As a parent I understand that kids get sick and that is just the way it goes, but as a business owner, I know that work needs to get done regardless of circumstances and if an employee can't meet those needs, then I would be forced to find someone else.

It IS a tough situation to be in but I don't think businesses would be in business long if they let the emtional part of life be the biggest influence in their business practices.
Reply Up