Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If You're Running Late...
Brooksie 06:24 AM 09-11-2013
Do you go into detail about why? Like, "I overslept.", "my alarm didn't go off" or "I was in the bathroom" ? lol Or do you just simply say 'Sorry.'

Most of my DC kids are out this morning for various reasons and the only girl I was expecting was supposed to be late. DCM said around 8:15. I let my alarm go off a little bit later today and still woke up but was just laying in bed, not yet dressed or anything when my phone rings and was told that people were here. Of course I jump up and rush to get ready, couldn't find my bra, couldn't find my glasses I was just expecting 1 family 15 minutes later than I got the call and I had 2 families standing there once I got downstairs. I just said "Hey! Come on in. Sheww its been one of those mornings "
momofboys 06:26 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Do you go into detail about why? Like, "I overslept.", "my alarm didn't go off" or "I was in the bathroom" ? lol Or do you just simply say 'Sorry.'

Most of my DC kids are out this morning for various reasons and the only girl I was expecting was supposed to be late. DCM said around 8:15. I let my alarm go off a little bit later today and still woke up but was just laying in bed, not yet dressed or anything when my phone rings and was told that people were here. Of course I jump up and rush to get ready, couldn't find my bra, couldn't find my glasses I was just expecting 1 family 15 minutes later than I got the call and I had 2 families standing there once I got downstairs. I just said "Hey! Come on in. Sheww its been one of those mornings "
I usually just say I was in the other room! So was the DCM who was supposed to be later actually come later or did she come earlier than expected?
Brooksie 06:28 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I usually just say I was in the other room! So was the DCM who was supposed to be later actually come later or did she come earlier than expected?
Earlier than expected. Guess it was 8 when I got the call and the call was from a mom that I was not expecting at all today and they were both down there by the time I got downstairs
Play Care 06:28 AM 09-11-2013

Did the mom say they were going to be late or was it more like they are always late so you just thought they would be?
I think how you handled it was fine, though had mom said they were going to be late I probably would have added a "I thought you said you were coming later so I gave myself a well deserved sleep in!" And let her stew on that
momofboys 06:32 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Did the mom say they were going to be late or was it more like they are always late so you just thought they would be?
I think how you handled it was fine, though had mom said they were going to be late I probably would have added a "I thought you said you were coming later so I gave myself a well deserved sleep in!" And let her stew on that

blandino 06:34 AM 09-11-2013
I am sitting here bra-less with no make-up on for the exact same reason.

Hopefully at nap I can make myself feel half way human again.
Brooksie 06:35 AM 09-11-2013
She said she would be late. Even gave me the time of 8:15. The other mom.. I have no idea why she was standing there, but I was too tired and confused to say anything lol
momofboys 06:43 AM 09-11-2013
Earlier than expected. Guess it was 8 when I got the call and the call was from a mom that I was not expecting at all today and they were both down there by the time I got downstairs
How annoying with both parents! Especially the one that wasn't even supposed to come! How did they even know you could accomodate them or be home? I swear sometimes I think the DCP think we are chained to our homes & never leave!
Willow 06:46 AM 09-11-2013
I wouldn't have answered the door until the time a parent had scheduled me to. I would have also not answered my phone.

I have been known to let my dogs out "to potty" out the side door and then stood there fake shocked as their frenzy at the unexpected guests frazzle the heck out of the parent. I do not hurry them back inside. The bigs like to fetch them slobbety/muddied tennis balls and dummies while the littles will happily leap into their lap or vehicle if the doors are open.

I would have given the other parent a schpeel about how I can't take their child as I wasn't planning on them attending so scheduled a drop in.

It's only ever taken a parent once to figure out that none of that is tolerated here.
momofboys 06:47 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
I am sitting here bra-less with no make-up on for the exact same reason.

Hopefully at nap I can make myself feel half way human again.

momofboys 06:57 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
I wouldn't have answered the door until the time a parent had scheduled me to. I would have also not answered my phone.

I have been known to let my dogs out "to potty" out the side door and then stood there fake shocked as their frenzy at the unexpected guests frazzle the heck out of the parent. I do not hurry them back inside. The bigs like to fetch them slobbety/muddied tennis balls and dummies while the littles will happily leap into their lap or vehicle if the doors are open.

I would have given the other parent a schpeel about how I can't take their child as I wasn't planning on them attending so scheduled a drop in.

It's only ever taken a parent once to figure out that none of that is tolerated here.

daycarediva 07:03 AM 09-11-2013
I would have answered & said I will be ready at 8:15, when you said. As for the other parent, if they werent scheduled to be there-sorry Im full!

This is never an issue for me as Im up at the crack of dawn. I have worked out, showered & prettied myself up before 6:00 every day. Around 7 on weekends.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:

I agree! I would NEVER have accepted the 8:15 parent until 8:15 and the other non-scheduled child wouldn't have been accepted at all....even if I had the space/availability.....I don't just take kids on a whim, they are required to be scheduled for a reason.

IMHO, you weren't late. The one family was early and the other not suppose to be there.... so YOU did nothing wrong.
Cat Herder 07:22 AM 09-11-2013
"Wow, so many unexpected early arrivals and me without my cape on..... Hope your wait wasn't too dreadful."
MCC 07:40 AM 09-11-2013
One of my families drops off at 9:30 or later everyday. About 2 months after they started here, mom texted me (they all text when on their way) that she was On the way at 8:00. I was out on a run and texted back.

" I'm on a run, I will be ready at 9:30, when DCB is scheduled to be here"

I got home and she was sitting on my porch with him, I walked by said hello, went and took my shower, had my coffee and breakfast, and then answered the door.

Now she texts me the night before asking permission to drop him off early. I open at 7:30, but I often only end up with one kid, so I expect parents to let me know if they are dropping off outside of their scheduled times.

I would have done what PP said and not taken the child who was not scheduled to be there, and I would have waited until 8:15 for the other. I completely get that you were in a tired daze...

Sorry your extra sleep got taken away
DaisyMamma 08:15 AM 09-11-2013
Seriously.
I'm not sure I would have even gone down before 8:15.
Truth be told I would have been mad. You did nothing wrong. If someone shows up when they aren't scheduled and someone shows up 15 min early that's their problem. Let them wait.
JenNJ 08:24 AM 09-11-2013
I don't take early arrivals. I had one dad who NEVER dropped off try and drop off at 6:30. I saw him waiting to turn on our street and me and my kids hopped in the car and went to Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast followed by the park for a nice walk. I came back at 8:15 (his normal arrival time) and he was sitting on my porch with dcb looking mad.

I asked why he was so sour and he said he was late for work. He went on to say that if I wasn't going ot be reliable, he would look into other options. I said, "That is the great part about being me -- my work waits for me. But yeah, Center Down the Street opens at 6:30am. They take walk in tours." I walked past him with my kids and shut the door behind me. He knocked but I just said that in light of his new schdule change, I wouldn't mind if he moved dcb to a center. I would even waive the two week notice. He was dunbfounded. I shut the door again and he stood there for a minute tryng to process what happened.

Mom called later to apologize profusly about her dopey husband. He never dropped off again.
MotherNature 08:45 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

IMHO, you weren't late. The one family was early and the other not suppose to be there.... so YOU did nothing wrong.

Emsdayhome 09:10 AM 09-11-2013
I went out and purchased a 'uniform' for me to wear during daycare hours. yoga pants and tshirts. I keep them ready to go so if that ever happens, I jump up throw them on and down I go. Though I've answered the door in pjs before half asleep and parents giggle and say "I'm sorry...did we wake you? " lol. never the case...but sometimes you just like to lie there! lol.

My first dcb arrives as I'm getting my 3 kids ready for school. So if I'm not up...I should be, anyway.
Crazy8 09:34 AM 09-11-2013
just this summer after 12+ years of running my daycare I actually did oversleep and dcm called my cell from outside my house. I was sooo embarrassed, that had really NEVER happened to me before and I apologized but she was great about it.

BUT, in this case YOU were not running late, they all just showed up early. I would have loved to turn them away at the door but I know you don't always think that fast when you just wake up!! Another time this summer I got a text as I was in the shower that dcb would be 15 min. early. I responded that I would not be ready at that time and to please ASK the night before if you would like to request an early drop off. Then 2 weeks ago another dcm asked for an early drop off for 2 days in a row (her first 2 days back to work after summer off) and she showed up late both days without even an apology or mention of the earlier time. I will now refuse any requests for an early drop off, even the night before and will not unlock my door until the minute they are contracted for!!!
Luna 10:25 AM 09-11-2013
To take this conversation slightly off track...what if someone drops off early and you already have children there? I have one family who arrives at 7:15 and a child whose dad sometimes arrives at 7:45 for 8:00 drop off. He knows there is already someone here so I'm up. I've said to him "Geez you're early" and he just says "oh yeah, I guess we're a bit early". One day my 7:15 wasn't coming so I was out on my back porch drinking my tea and 8:00 dad texted me at 7:40 wanting to know why I wasn't answering the door. I didn't answer and he was full out panicking by the time I went to the door at 7:50. Still early, buddy.

To get back on track, I agree with others. You weren't late!
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Luna:
To take this conversation slightly off track...what if someone drops off early and you already have children there? I have one family who arrives at 7:15 and a child whose dad sometimes arrives at 7:45 for 8:00 drop off. He knows there is already someone here so I'm up. I've said to him "Geez you're early" and he just says "oh yeah, I guess we're a bit early". One day my 7:15 wasn't coming so I was out on my back porch drinking my tea and 8:00 dad texted me at 7:40 wanting to know why I wasn't answering the door. I didn't answer and he was full out panicking by the time I went to the door at 7:50. Still early, buddy.

My families pay according to the hours they schedule their children to be here. If I had a parent drop off earlier than they scheduled to be here, I would add an additional fee to their next invoice for that additional time.

If it happened more than once, I would ask the family if they needed to amend their contract with me to accommodate the additional time they are using.

NONE of my families goes into their work and puts in extra time for free so I certainly won't either....even if I am already caring for kids.
Willow 10:30 AM 09-11-2013

Either stick to your guns and don't open the door after a frank conversation about early drop offs being unacceptable, or add a policy that from here on out you're going to charge $10/minute a child is dropped off early. $100 would be worth missing out on your morning tea but probably won't be worth it to them
Crazy8 10:38 AM 09-11-2013

I just redid my handbook this summer and one thing I specified was that each family had their own contracted hours and to never assume other children would be there before them, they don't know when someone else is on vacation, out sick, etc. i also lock the door between arrivals.
WImom 12:20 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
One of my families drops off at 9:30 or later everyday. About 2 months after they started here, mom texted me (they all text when on their way) that she was On the way at 8:00. I was out on a run and texted back.

" I'm on a run, I will be ready at 9:30, when DCB is scheduled to be here"

I got home and she was sitting on my porch with him, I walked by said hello, went and took my shower, had my coffee and breakfast, and then answered the door.

Now she texts me the night before asking permission to drop him off early. I open at 7:30, but I often only end up with one kid, so I expect parents to let me know if they are dropping off outside of their scheduled times.

I would have done what PP said and not taken the child who was not scheduled to be there, and I would have waited until 8:15 for the other. I completely get that you were in a tired daze...

Sorry your extra sleep got taken away
LOVE THIS!! That's something I would do. My morning quiet time with just me and the dogs is very importatnt to me.
Reply Up