Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Infants?
Unregistered 04:13 AM 06-05-2014
Has anyone by themself ever cared for two full time infants (between 2-5 months). If so how'd it go ?
Unregistered 04:32 AM 06-05-2014
It made me respect the mothers of twins! I almost went crazy.
LysesKids 04:34 AM 06-05-2014
All the time. I take nothing but 1-18 month old babies(most start by 3 months)
It's not so hard if there is a 2-3 month spread between ages and you learn to pick up on cues quickly (at least I have). My older ones that crawl/walk know that if a baby is in a bouncer crying that they can gently rock the seat until Nana gets to the baby (just like what was done when they were little). Could be I'm changing a diaper or fixing bottles, but they pitch in… it's actually too cute when parents catch the kids in action.

Most my babes seem to find their own schedule within a few months, then everyone is pretty much doing the same thing at the same time. My current 6 month old knows that when Little miss gets lunch (she's almost 13 months) that it's time for his 11am bottle. He started when he was 6 weeks. And I had 2 drop-in girls last month (both 3 months) that just added to the fun.
taylorw1210 05:06 AM 06-05-2014
I had two existing families get pregnant around the same time and their babies were 6 weeks apart. I got both babies immediately after the mothers 10 week maternity leave. It was rough in the beginning, but I am super "strict" when it comes to scheduling and by 3-4 months both were on the same eat/sleep/wake schedule and it was pretty easy after that. The only difficult times were when one or the other (or sometimes both) weren't feeling well, one occasionally "bottle striked" and I would have to send her home, etc. It was definitely stressful at times but it was a lot of fun having two little ones, too. They are both a year old now. They grow up even faster when they aren't yours!
kitykids3 05:11 AM 06-05-2014
I just did it unexpectedly for a couple months. I have 2 infants that are 6 months right now and are a week apart. I used to have an assistant that up and left unexpectedly in early March which left me with the 2 infants (about 3-4 months at the time) and 2 two year olds full time, 10 hours a day, and other 2 and 3 year olds part time. It was crazy. Never would I think I would have had 2 infants by myself but I did and I adjusted. Made for some looooong days and no energy after work until I started adjusting, but I also have fibromyalgia so for someone who doesn't it is probably easier. I think trying to plan for what they need next will help a lot. The older kids didn't get as much of my attention, so they had to adjust too. The infants didn't have set schedules which made it difficult and one just cried if not held, but we all made it. Very fast days because they were so busy.
e.j. 05:11 AM 06-05-2014
I usually go by my "1 infant at a time rule" but there have been a couple of times when I've taken 2 at the same time. It works well when both babies are very mellow. I have had a few babies who were all-day screamers and needed to be held a lot. I can't imagine what it would be like to have 2 of them in my care at the same time.
rebekki78 05:52 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
It made me respect the mothers of twins! I almost went crazy.
So true! I have never had two that young at the same time. I had 3 months and 9 months and the hardest part was trying to keep up with them and all the 3-4year olds at the same time. It can get challenging that's for sure. it would be helpful, like the other person suggested, to have them on the same schedule. That would make life so much easier.
Unregistered 06:16 AM 06-05-2014
I'm doing it right now. I took two newborns last fall thinking it would be great, two babies the same age growing up together, built in playmate etc. It has been extremely difficult and I will never do it again. Not worth my sanity.
Childminder 06:28 AM 06-05-2014
Developing a routine seems to be the ideal for me. The first couple of weeks can be unsettling but mostly because of my own uncertainty or lack of confidence in myself. Once I told my self "Hey! I can do this. Why am I nervous about taking care of two infants?"

Relax.
lilcupcakes09 06:29 AM 06-05-2014
I've always had two since opening, no more than 3 months difference. I usually have them within weeks apart. Strict schedule is a must, but the funny part is, they usually fall into the same schedule for me, maybe because of my scheduling them. Eat, sleep, and even sometimes poop at the same day. I enjoy it, I'm a little baby person. I enjoy watching them grow together. The first few weeks can be difficult, but I have been able to even handle the fussiest babies and turn them around here. Like I said, I think routine is a huge part of success.
cheerfuldom 06:33 AM 06-05-2014
my rule is one infant at a time, preferably one child under 12 months at a time. I have in the past done multiple small ones and while it is doable, I really didnt enjoy it. You go nuts if one or both are criers or high needs.
drseuss 06:36 AM 06-05-2014
The tricky part is not necessarily keeping two infants at the same time. For me, the tricky part is the fact that the babies are two in a larger, mixed-age group. One of my infants is still being worn by mom and dad at ten months old, so you can imagine the dynamic that brings. The other infant I have is like a mini Godzilla right now. I'm sure that this will eventually be an ideal situation, but right now it's not. I am insanely tired.
TickleMonster 06:38 AM 06-05-2014
Hun we have had five at one time a 6 week old, a 3 month old, 4 month old, 5 month old and a 9 month old he was trying that is for sure we handled it for a while then we lost one we let one go and we had the others for a while till the 9 mth turned 18 mths now we only have a 1 yr old out of that group left with us plus our others but believe me we wont do that again. So good luck
Reply Up