Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Know You’re A Daycare Provider When....
Kimskiddos 10:15 AM 06-24-2014
While having lunch at a local burger and custard restaurant with a 2.5 & nearly 4yo dck and not 1 or 2 but 3 different people stop by to say it is so nice to see how well behaved your kids are.
NightOwl 10:59 AM 06-24-2014
You take your clothes off at night to get showered and discover 2 pacifiers and a used tissue in your pockets.
Naptime yet? 11:07 AM 06-24-2014
You ask your significant other if they need to potty.
SignMeUp 11:34 AM 06-24-2014
...you're out on a walk with a group that includes four 4-year-olds of varying races and someone asks if they are all yours
midaycare 12:04 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
I totally did this the other day. Bwah ha ha
sahm1225 12:11 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by SignMeUp:
...you're out on a walk with a group that includes four 4-year-olds of varying races and someone asks if they are all yours
I get this ALL the time!
Or I get 'wow you must love kids!'
NoMoreJuice! 12:13 PM 06-24-2014
I just laughed so hard. Have totally done this!
e.j. 02:41 PM 06-24-2014
...you cut your husband's meat into little pieces and don't give it a second thought until you notice he's looking at you funny.
Country Kids 02:46 PM 06-24-2014
I was asked the other day if two of MINE were twins by an older lady. One is a dark mexican child and the other is a blond hair, fair skined, blue eyed child. I wanted to reply-yes identical-

The reason I capitilized MINE was because they were childcare children and I had four of them with me and she thought they were mine.
sharlan 03:37 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I was asked the other day if two of MINE were twins by an older lady. One is a dark mexican child and the other is a blond hair, fair skined, blue eyed child. I wanted to reply-yes identical-

The reason I capitilized MINE was because they were childcare children and I had four of them with me and she thought they were mine.
I used to have this happen all the time with my youngest dd and dh's niece when we had custody. His niece is Hawaiian and pretty dark (dark hair, skin, eyes) and our dh was really fair with snow white hair, fair skin, and light green eyes. Polar opposites. They're about 10 weeks apart in age.
AmyKidsCo 03:59 PM 06-24-2014
Or call him "punkin"
midaycare 04:52 PM 06-24-2014
I'm in the process of training my puppy, so I've noticed my using the same terms and noises I do with the puppy as I do with the dck's. They do respond well to my clicking noise, though...
momofsix 06:30 PM 06-24-2014
Well truthfully they all could be-our kids are 3 different races with two of them 6 months apart

You know you're a daycare provider when your fridge/freezer may be filled with the latest science experiment rather than food!
Or when by the end of the day your shirt is full of food, paint, who knows what?!
SignMeUp 06:36 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by momofsix:
Well truthfully they all could be-our kids are 3 different races with two of them 6 months apart
I'm told I look young for my age, but I doubt I look like the parent of four four-year-olds Maybe grandmother
SilverSabre25 06:49 PM 06-24-2014
I'm told I look young for my age, but I doubt I look like the parent of four four-year-olds Maybe grandmother
I'm pretty sure if you had 4 four year olds of your own...you'd look like a grandmother no matter how old or young you were!
SignMeUp 06:54 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm pretty sure if you had 4 four year olds of your own...you'd look like a grandmother no matter how old or young you were!

midaycare 07:25 PM 06-24-2014
Someone posts a thread called "blowouts", and you know exactly what they are talking about. Yet ... you still have to click. Why, oh why did I click?
SignMeUp 07:29 PM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Someone posts a thread called "blowouts", and you know exactly what they are talking about. Yet ... you still have to click. Why, oh why did I click?
I know why
So you can find out the latest daycare provider swear words.
Here, I'll start:
ButtWipe (best said while driving. without children. )
ashleyh 08:21 PM 06-24-2014
You go to pay for your order at the drive through and pull out a sock from the drink holder to put your drink in.
jenboo 08:31 PM 06-24-2014
I'm in the process of training my puppy, so I've noticed my using the same terms and noises I do with the puppy as I do with the dck's. They do respond well to my clicking noise, though...
I use an ehhh ehhh ehhh sound with my dogs.... It means no/freeze/don't even think about it.
I now use this with the dcks too. Works great
I have even caught them using it with each other
They are 2.5 yrs old and younger
ihop 09:31 PM 06-24-2014
When you have food/drool/snot mouth prints all around your knees from 6 little mouths trying to chew on you
Maggie 03:01 AM 06-25-2014
You go to someone's house and can instantly spot 10 things that aren't childproof. I do this all the time and have to stop myself from correcting it.
midaycare 03:42 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I use an ehhh ehhh ehhh sound with my dogs.... It means no/freeze/don't even think about it.
I now use this with the dcks too. Works great
I have even caught them using it with each other
They are 2.5 yrs old and younger
That's one of my sounds too - it does work great!
spud912 07:15 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by Maggie:
You go to someone's house and can instantly spot 10 things that aren't childproof. I do this all the time and have to stop myself from correcting it.
Or you go to a hotel and immediately start child proofing it. "Ah, if only I brought some plug covers!!"
KDC 07:26 AM 06-25-2014
My 'daycare lady senses' start buzzing when I see kids at someone else's house jumping on the couch with sippy cups (rules are no sippy's outside the kitchen and NO JUMPING ON THE COUCH!) I'm totally screaming 'noooooooooo' in my head
Naptime yet? 07:31 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by KDC:
My 'daycare lady senses' start buzzing when I see kids at someone else's house jumping on the couch with sippy cups (rules are no sippy's outside the kitchen and NO JUMPING ON THE COUCH!) I'm totally screaming 'noooooooooo' in my head
I'm terrible at doing this, at looking at kids through my provider eyes. But my SIL is a teacher & she does the same thing, only I think I'm probably more critical...
kathiemarie 07:33 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I get this ALL the time!
Or I get 'wow you must love kids!'
Once an older lady told me "I think you need to find something else to do with your time at night!" She was dead serious.
Moppetland 07:34 AM 06-25-2014
...you can't go shopping without always looking for stuff you can use in your day care.

... you stare at children in public misbehaving and you think to yourself "s/he needs a time out"

... you go grocery shopping and bring back food for your day care and forget the food that your own family eats

... you talk about what a DCK did in daycare that was cute or funny during one of your social gatherings with your friends

... you revolve your whole life around your day care
ihop 07:35 AM 06-25-2014
Not necessarily specific to childcare but.... When you see unsafe sleeping practices at someones house and desperately want to steal all of their pillows and blankets so they cant do it anymore.

I went to my cousins last week to see her and her 6wk old. She was sleeping in a bassinette with four baby blankets and two stuffed animals completely cushioning her in. I did say something about it nicely and casually but she got pretty defensive. "we never had an issue with ds" "she usually sleeps with us anyway" ()
Kimskiddos 07:54 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
Not necessarily specific to childcare but.... When you see unsafe sleeping practices at someones house and desperately want to steal all of their pillows and blankets so they cant do it anymore.

I went to my cousins last week to see her and her 6wk old. She was sleeping in a bassinette with four baby blankets and two stuffed animals completely cushioning her in. I did say something about it nicely and casually but she got pretty defensive. "we never had an issue with ds" "she usually sleeps with us anyway" ()
Oh yeah! I have a niece-in-law who just had her 5th child and she is always posting photos on Facebook of her 2mo in a bassinet just full of blankets and pillows! I cringe every time I see the photos. They live 5 hours from us and I just barely know her so don't feel I can say anything to her. But man oh man it really bugs/worries me. I did mention it to my friend (the step gma) who went up to visit last weekend. Hopefully she said something.
TigerLily 10:22 AM 06-25-2014
When you go to Target and want to institute a storewide nap time for all of the melting down children that clearly need a nap!

I told DH I couldn't go shopping between 12-3 on the weekends anymore - overtireditis in children makes me nutty.
KiddieCahoots 10:34 AM 06-25-2014
I know why
So you can find out the latest daycare provider swear words.
Here, I'll start:
ButtWipe (best said while driving. without children. )

While driving too!.....Jeez Louise! Excuse me, please!
My own kids get quite a kick out of it.
KiddieCahoots 10:35 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
Once an older lady told me "I think you need to find something else to do with your time at night!" She was dead serious.
Omg! ......
SignMeUp 10:48 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:

While driving too!.....Jeez Louise! Excuse me, please!
My own kids get quite a kick out of it.
I KNEW I wasn't the only one
midaycare 12:24 PM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
Not hijacking, but I had a woman who saw me looking at underwear in Target one day. My son was 3. She looks at him and says, "Looks like someone is going to get a little brother or sister, from the type of panties mommy is looking at." Boundaries people!!!
KiddieCahoots 12:30 PM 06-25-2014
Not hijacking, but I had a woman who saw me looking at underwear in Target one day. My son was 3. She looks at him and says, "Looks like someone is going to get a little brother or sister, from the type of panties mommy is looking at." Boundaries people!!!
.....I am cracking up here!
I would've said.....oh yea! You should see what I'm wearing now! ...
Give her the effect, right back, Lol!
kathiemarie 04:22 PM 06-25-2014
Wow Just wow.
rebekki78 09:55 AM 06-27-2014
...when you’ve ever wondered who dubbed the term “terrible twos”. As if it stops after two..
Shell 12:25 PM 06-27-2014
It's Saturday, you know you are only watching your own kids, but you start taking a head count, because you can't ever relax- even on your own time.
Mom of 4 03:30 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

I have BOY GIRL twins, and people ask me if they're identical lol
Mom of 4 03:31 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by Mom of 4:
I have BOY GIRL twins, and people ask me if they're identical lol
Oh and I meant to add: I used to count kids, sometimes still feel like I didn't get them all in my car when we go out. lol
Lynn825 12:30 PM 06-30-2014
Your freezer is filled with someone else's breast milk
Shell 01:16 PM 06-30-2014
Originally Posted by Lynn825:
Good one!
mountainside13 03:54 PM 06-30-2014

momofsix 07:36 PM 06-30-2014
Oh yes
When the words "we don't lick the walls" actually need to be said during a workday
SilverSabre25 07:37 PM 06-30-2014
haha love it
Happily_wed 11:17 AM 07-01-2014
When your living room has more daycare stuff in it than things for your own family!

When you go to the store on a Saturday and find an empty baby bottle in your purse and your own kids are 10 and 14 LOL!

When you find yourself saying "this is MY house and I am the boss and make the rules here" about 40 times a day!
Tags:daycare environment
Reply Up