Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Wear?
Unregistered 09:10 AM 02-13-2015
I feel torn every day with looking professional and wearing something comfortable and practical. I have infants and toddlers. Someone always has a runny nose and spits up on me, up and down off the floor, activities - you all know the routine. I hate to wear my normal clothing and usually end up in tshirts and yoga pants. No parents seem to care what I wear so I know it's just me.
jenboo 09:14 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I feel torn every day with looking professional and wearing something comfortable and practical. I have infants and toddlers. Someone always has a runny nose and spits up on me, up and down off the floor, activities - you all know the routine. I hate to wear my normal clothing and usually end up in tshirts and yoga pants. No parents seem to care what I wear so I know it's just me.
Comfy and practical. I do wear most of my regular clothes but nothing ever stains.
Thriftylady 09:19 AM 02-13-2015
I wear scrubs for daycare.
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 02-13-2015
Other threads about work attire

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=dress+code
finsup 09:22 AM 02-13-2015
I wear what I wear every day, skirts or dresses I sometimes end up changing if things get messy but for the most part its not too bad.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:30 AM 02-13-2015
clothes This time of year that is usually shirt, sweater, jeans and tennis shoes inside and boots outside.
Blackcat31 09:32 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
clothes This time of year that is usually shirt, sweater, jeans and tennis shoes inside and boots outside.

This gets my vote for best answer!
Pepperth 09:35 AM 02-13-2015
Jeans and a shirt that I'm ok with getting messy. After 10 years in the corporate world, it feels amazing to get up in the morning and throw on a pair of jeans everyday.
Shell 09:40 AM 02-13-2015
I used to look so nice going to work when I was a K teacher. I always straightened my hair, makeup, nice dress pants, shoes, etc. I used to spend a lot on my wardrobe, and always was the "best dressed" (a real vote at one job).
Now, I wear jeans everyday- maternity jeans to be exact- and I'm not pregnant I buy the extra small, and just love how they cover all the way up your belly so if you bend over, nothing shows. One of my former co-workers always had her butt crack hanging out, and it was sooo tacky!
I usually also wear t- shirts and socks. My hair is never done like it used to be- I just don't have time in the mornings (would much rather sleep), but I always wear makeup.
I also have infant and toddlers and generally am always covered in someone's spit up, slime, etc
In the future, I may order nice polo type shirts with my daycare name on them- that would be a lot easier and better than paying money for the not so great stuff I presently wear in case it gets dirty.
butterfly 09:41 AM 02-13-2015
jeans, tshirt, socks - no shoes. Every.single.day.
Unregistered 09:55 AM 02-13-2015
A cute apron with lots of pockets over my regular clothes.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I used to look so nice going to work when I was a K teacher. I always straightened my hair, makeup, nice dress pants, shoes, etc. I used to spend a lot on my wardrobe, and always was the "best dressed" (a real vote at one job).
Now, I wear jeans everyday- maternity jeans to be exact- and I'm not pregnant I buy the extra small, and just love how they cover all the way up your belly so if you bend over, nothing shows. One of my former co-workers always had her butt crack hanging out, and it was sooo tacky!
I usually also wear t- shirts and socks. My hair is never done like it used to be- I just don't have time in the mornings (would much rather sleep), but I always wear makeup.
I also have infant and toddlers and generally am always covered in someone's spit up, slime, etc
In the future, I may order nice polo type shirts with my daycare name on them- that would be a lot easier and better than paying money for the not so great stuff I presently wear in case it gets dirty.

KarenSue 10:28 AM 02-13-2015
I also just have babies and toddlers and get dirty early in the day with spit up and snot. I wear jeans and a shirt or yoga pants and a shirt. I always wear makeup and look presentable though. But would not dress up for this work. I worked as a nurse for 15 years and am over scrubs myself. But they are a good idea.
laundrymom 10:29 AM 02-13-2015
Scrubs here.
DaveA 10:39 AM 02-13-2015
Polo shirt & jeans for me
Thriftylady 10:39 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Karen0801:
I also just have babies and toddlers and get dirty early in the day with spit up and snot. I wear jeans and a shirt or yoga pants and a shirt. I always wear makeup and look presentable though. But would not dress up for this work. I worked as a nurse for 15 years and am over scrubs myself. But they are a good idea.
I can see that. In my real life, I always wear dresses, but I worry far less about the scrubs getting stained or dirty. I usually buy them at goodwill so they are much cheaper than my dresses so I don't cry over them if something stains or something.
midaycare 10:43 AM 02-13-2015
I like to dress up. It just makes me feel more professional. And I'm dealing with professionals who drop their kids off to me, so it makes me feel more "on their level". If I like professional and act professional, I certainly expect to be treated professional.

I remember ds had one dcp for about 4 weeks. She came to the door one day in yoga pants, a t-shirt, no bra, and hair all unkempt. I almost didn't leave him. I found new care soon after. So I do think if I thought of that as a dcm, maybe others do, too.

For the most part I wear khakis, dress pants, and some nice "outdoor" Columbia pants that both look nice and are comfortable. For tops I wear mostly sweaters and nice shirts.

In the summer I wear some long skirts and lighter dress pants. I also have those longer shorts that go past your knees.
melilley 10:48 AM 02-13-2015
I wear jeans and a nice shirt. Jeans to me are like yoga pants to other people; I feel the most comfy in them.
Unregistered 10:49 AM 02-13-2015
I wear stretchy sweat pants (non tight-fitting yoga pants) and a tank top or tshirt. In the winter, I add a sweater or sweatshirt and socks. I don't care if people think I look like cr@p. I dress for my work (playing, snot, pee, food), and they wear dress for their work. I refuse to spend money dressing in clothes for everyone else opinion of how I should look. Bottom line...if I am taking good care of your kids, my looks should not matter.
Indoorvoice 11:09 AM 02-13-2015
I wear yoga pants and a nice t-shirt. I bought a bunch of solid colored v-neck shirts from Target that don't look ratty, but are still comfortable. I always do my hair and makeup so I don't look like I'm in my pajamas. I do a better job when I'm comfy, but also don't want parents to get the impression that I rolled out of bed 2 minutes before they come to my door.
originalkat 11:38 AM 02-13-2015
I always do my hair and make-up (but including my shower it only takes 30 minutes). It just makes me feel better about myself all day long.
I usually wear jeans and some sort of top (t-shirt and casual cardigan in winter). In the summer I wear shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops. I do not think there is a need to dress really nice. I just want to look like a well put together person. I do not want to look like I just rolled out of bed and did not get ready for work. Even if it is a freezing cold day and I want to be cozy, I put on some sweat pants and a flannel shirt with my hair and make-up done and I am good to go for the day.
AuntTami 11:47 AM 02-13-2015
I must have really awesome DCparents. Most days I answer the door in my pajamas because I did just roll out of bed 5 minutes ago. My earliest arrival has woken me up with her knocking before lol. But, I do that because I inow she doesn't care, and her kiddo goes right back to sleep after he gets here so that gives me an hour before the next one arrives to make myself presentable.

I usually wear scrub pants and a Tshirt. Sometimes jeans, sometimes sweats. I'm guilty of wearing pajamas pants once in a while too when it's just me and the earliest kiddo for the day. And Fridays are always sweat pants day because by Friday I don't have the energy for getting dressed lol.
KarenSue 11:47 AM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I always do my hair and make-up (but including my shower it only takes 30 minutes). It just makes me feel better about myself all day long.
I usually wear jeans and some sort of top (t-shirt and casual cardigan in winter). In the summer I wear shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops. I do not think there is a need to dress really nice. I just want to look like a well put together person. I do not want to look like I just rolled out of bed and did not get ready for work. Even if it is a freezing cold day and I want to be cozy, I put on some sweat pants and a flannel shirt with my hair and make-up done and I am good to go for the day.
Exactly how I am too.
AmyKidsCo 11:49 AM 02-13-2015
Ditto originalkat - I always do my hair and make up. When it's cold I wear jeans and sweater, sweatshirt or long sleeve tee. Sometimes I wear yoga pants, but they're not clingy, just comfy. When it's warm I wear capris or shorts and "women's style" tees or cute tops, or sundresses. For shoes I wear tennies or sandals. It would be nice to dress up more but I'd be too worried about ruining my clothing.
Kimskiddos 11:52 AM 02-13-2015
Another scrubs wearer here. I love them. Plus the are tough, easy to clean and the pockets are great! There are so many cute, child friendly prints too. In the winter a long sleeve T underneath or a cardigan on top.
Meeko 11:59 AM 02-13-2015
I wear casual, but smart clothes and always do my hair and makeup.

If I didn't.....well...just look at my avatar.......
Unregistered 12:10 PM 02-13-2015
I'm just curious. I have never worn makeup my entire life and I am 32 years old.
Meeko 12:12 PM 02-13-2015
I'm just curious. I have never worn makeup my entire life and I am 32 years old.
Lucky you! I'm scary without it...(I'm almost 54)
Unregistered 12:26 PM 02-13-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Lucky you! I'm scary without it...(I'm almost 54)
My feeling about makeup is that if no one is used to you wearing it, then you won't look bad to anyone. If I ever wore makeup people would think I looked strange.
Thriftylady 12:39 PM 02-13-2015
My feeling about makeup is that if no one is used to you wearing it, then you won't look bad to anyone. If I ever wore makeup people would think I looked strange.
I never wear it either. I did often when I was in my first marriage, trying to cover all the black eyes and bruises. To me it carries a bad memory, and I don't need it anymore.
Unregistered 01:11 PM 02-13-2015
I try to do day care " dress " casual! Make up, flats, nice, but lightweight jeans ( like my Gap jeans), cargo pants, nicer, but comfy casual, cotton shirts ( not t shirts or polo) and cotton cardigans in winter. About twice a month I do yoga pants.

I do my hair, but only wash it every other day, but I flat iron it every day.
AmyLeigh 02:03 PM 02-13-2015
I have a basic casual wardrobe: jeans/cotton khakis, nicer casual tops, cardigan or hoodie in winter, walking shorts in summer. Barefoot, birkenstocks or u g g boots, depending on weather. I rarely wear makeup during the week, maybe mascara and lip gloss at the most. My hair has lately been in a ponytail because I need a trim.
There is a provider here in my town that I see often at the library story hour. She is always dressed to the nines in stylish clothes, hair perfectly coiffed, full makeup, jewelry, the whole shebang. One time she wore these very high platform wedges. Don't get me wrong, she looks great, but it seems out of place for someone dealing with littles all day. It's as if she still has her office job wardrobe and insists on wearing it.
IMO, professional dress is dependent on the profession and duties that profession requires. Scrubs would not be appropriate at a bank, but required in the medical field. KWIM?
permanentvacation 02:48 PM 02-13-2015
Warm weather - shorts and t-shirt or tank top and flip flops

Cold weather - jeans and t-shirt, sweater, or sweat shirt and tennis shoes

Inside year round - flip flops

I don't wear my nicer clothes for work because I often get something messy on them or get them stained. I also don't put on make-up or do anything particular with my hair. I sometimes put my hair in a pony-tail, other times, just straighten it. But I don't 'style' it.

I tried to look more professional a couple of times in a couple of ways.

For a while, I wore those scrubs type shirts with the pictures of animals, kids, etc. on them like nurses wear. But they restricted my movement more than my regular clothes.

Another time I got fake nails on and had them filled and repainted as soon as they got messed up or grew out. I put make-up on and styled my hair nicely ever morning and wore nicer clothes. I looked like most people did when going to work in an office.

Parents who had been with me for a while when I just threw my hair in a pony-tail and threw on some jeans and t-shirt would make a comment about how nice I looked when I got all dolled up. But overall, it didn't make a difference in my enrollment. So I don't bother going through all that expense and time to look professional.
Pepperth 02:51 PM 02-13-2015
I've never been a makeup person myself. I might put on some lipstick if I have a date with the hubby, but usually chapstick is as made up as I get. I've always liked the idea of wearing makeup, but I never saw enough of an improvement to make it worth my time if that makes sense.
originalkat 02:51 PM 02-13-2015
Now that is very true.
Midaycare logged out 07:35 AM 02-14-2015
I have only ever worn foundation and blush. One time I tried to put on full makeup and dh said, "Don't paint the barn! It doesn't need fixing!"
AuntTami 11:24 AM 02-14-2015
Originally Posted by Midaycare logged out:
I have only ever worn foundation and blush. One time I tried to put on full makeup and dh said, "Don't paint the barn! It doesn't need fixing!"
This is what mine says too. Well similarly lol. He gets MAD when I put make up on because I never wear it and so I look so different with it on lol.

I don't wear make up either. Once in a while I'll put on some foundation and mascara, but thats pretty much it.

I absolutely cannot wear eye liner. I don't know if its because I have hooded eyes or what, but every time I put on eye liner, or even have someone who KNOWS what theyre doing put it on me, I feel like a raccoon with big black eyes! I hate it. White eyeliner is okay though... lol

I've been wanting to start wearing scrubs, I love them. I don't know why I haven't yet though. I used to work in healthcare so I have a whole closet full of them. And to be honest, a lot of days I'm already wearing the pants because I wear them as lounge pants! But I've got a sweatshirt on most of the time during the winter because it's cold in Wisconsin, so it wouldn't matter either way I suppose.
Midaycare logged out 12:15 PM 02-14-2015
Same here. In full makeup I look like a mess. But I admire those who can pull it off.
Unregistered 07:44 AM 02-15-2015
I must look like a slob everyday compared to all of you lol leggings, a tank top, long sleeve shirt and a hoodie! Every. Single. Day. I'm 9 weeks pregnant, extrememly bloated and uncomfortable and haven't announced to anyone yet. Im exhausted all the time so I don't wear make up or do my hair anymore, I'm hoping once I hit second trimester I have a bit more engery to take care of myself. But on that note, all my littles are clean, changed and well taken care of the way I dress doesn't affect my ability to care for my children.
Controlled Chaos 06:49 PM 02-15-2015
I am a judger when it comes to people not getting dressed in the morning. I don't mean dressed up - but washed face, tidy hair, at least jeans...I know it doesn't effect your ability to care for children, but as a parent I would feel uneasy leaving my child with someone who doesn't look "put together", it reflects how I imagine how organized, clean, in control the rest of the day must look.

I wear jeans, a shirt that fits well and is in good condition, socks, hair done or at least up, light make up. I am able to act more professional when I feel more confident. I am also just lazy when I stay in sweats. I have a hard time doing anything when I feel comfy enough to nap
midaycare 02:59 AM 02-16-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I am a judger when it comes to people not getting dressed in the morning. I don't mean dressed up - but washed face, tidy hair, at least jeans...I know it doesn't effect your ability to care for children, but as a parent I would feel uneasy leaving my child with someone who doesn't look "put together", it reflects how I imagine how organized, clean, in control the rest of the day must look.

I wear jeans, a shirt that fits well and is in good condition, socks, hair done or at least up, light make up. I am able to act more professional when I feel more confident. I am also just lazy when I stay in sweats. I have a hard time doing anything when I feel comfy enough to nap
Oh thank goodness, I thought I was the only one.

As I said above in my post, I wear a lot of nice pants and sweaters - but they are comfortable to me. Also, I love Goodwill. Since I started doing daycare, I've been shopping there for work clothes. If I can find nice pants for $3.99 and a nice sweater for $2.99, I want to wear them. I buying clothes. If I don't wear them during the week, I hardly get the chance to wear them.
Heidi 12:15 PM 02-16-2015
Jeans or yoga pants, socks in winter (no shoes in the house), pedicure in the summer. T-shirts or sweatshirts.

I'm another infant/toddler person, and I often have to change my shirt during the day because I have a super-puker.

I wear a bit of makeup, some days just mascara, though. I wear my hair short, so "styling" it usually involves either washing it, or running wet hands through it in the morning.
AmyKidsCo 01:34 PM 02-16-2015
Me too. Not dressed up, but at least looking put-together and clean. IMO nice yoga pants or sweat pants that fit well are fine, but holey, stretched-out, or sloppy clothing isn't - unless you're cleaning, painting, or just laying around. JMO...
NoellesMama 11:22 PM 02-16-2015
At my center we wear scrubs. They are comfortable, easy to clean and fun to wear. The scrubs we wear monday-thursday have our names & the center logo. On friday we can wear any scrub top & jeans. I find them to be more practical than the typical polo and khakis that seems to be the uniform at other centers.
Baby Beluga 05:16 AM 02-17-2015
I have toyed with the idea of wearing scrubs.

Right now I wear black or gray "lounge" pants, that really don't look like lounge pants. Lol. They are cut like regular dress pants but are made of thick cotton. Never faded, never stretched out, no holes, etc.

For tops, I have about 10 tops I rotate though. They are dressier tops, not quite a t-shirt, but not quite a collared button down.

If it is cold I put on a cardigan over whatever I am wearing for the day.

I also iron my clothes, because well, I loathe wrinkles. I even iron my own DD's leggins
Rockgirl 06:10 AM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Me too. Not dressed up, but at least looking put-together and clean. IMO nice yoga pants or sweat pants that fit well are fine, but holey, stretched-out, or sloppy clothing isn't - unless you're cleaning, painting, or just laying around. JMO...
I agree. I do wear nicer (and not tight) yoga pants a few days a week, because we actually do yoga in the daycare.
jenboo 09:59 AM 02-17-2015

I don't wear jeans often. I can't find ones that are high enough in the back so that I can bend down, etc. I wear black yoga pants (they flair out at them bottom) or leggings with a dress (butt covered).
I would rather wear that than have my butt hang out. I'm not sure where people find jeans that are high enough in the back
Controlled Chaos 09:56 PM 02-17-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I don't wear jeans often. I can't find ones that are high enough in the back so that I can bend down, etc. I wear black yoga pants (they flair out at them bottom) or leggings with a dress (butt covered).
I would rather wear that than have my butt hang out. I'm not sure where people find jeans that are high enough in the back
I buy my jeans at Old Navy, I have never had a booty escaping issue I like the kind of jeans that are stretchy too, since I am squatting and kneeling so much. I do wear through the knees weird fast, too much time crawling around after the babies
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:19 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
I love this idea! I spend 75% of the day down on the floor, so I want to wear pants that are comfortable, but still look nice for parent greetings. I found knit jeggings at Wal-mart for only $12/pair that are pretty great (some fabric blend that looks more like slacks, but still comfy), and I buy them a size up so they are not tight at all. They look very nice...but I do have to hike them up in the back every so often when I'm moving around on the floor. I your idea!!!

I was looking around online and wondered if you are using the full panel jeans, and how the fit is in the tummy area? Is it baggy or bunchy at all? My stomach is by no means flat, so it's not like I have nothing to fill the void, but I don't look like I'm in the last trimester of a pregnancy either!
kathiemarie 08:10 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by Midaycare logged out:
hahaha too cute!
Shell 08:26 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
I love this idea! I spend 75% of the day down on the floor, so I want to wear pants that are comfortable, but still look nice for parent greetings. I found knit jeggings at Wal-mart for only $12/pair that are pretty great (some fabric blend that looks more like slacks, but still comfy), and I buy them a size up so they are not tight at all. They look very nice...but I do have to hike them up in the back every so often when I'm moving around on the floor. I your idea!!!

I was looking around online and wondered if you are using the full panel jeans, and how the fit is in the tummy area? Is it baggy or bunchy at all? My stomach is by no means flat, so it's not like I have nothing to fill the void, but I don't look like I'm in the last trimester of a pregnancy either!
Glad you like it! Maternity pants are a game changer
I'm not exactly sure what they are- but I buy the Ones from target in their maternity section- I want to say it's Liz Lange?
They are the ones that basically look like you have a tube top at the top- stretchy- I never have issues with them falling down.
I don't have a flat belly either anymore, but I am by no means a heavy person and I have no issues with them falling down. I think if you buy them a little small, the tube top part stretches around to fit you.
It's just so nice to have coverage in the front and back, and if you have a shorter top on, it just looks like you have on a layered tee. Hope that helps!
Unregistered 01:29 AM 02-27-2015
Jenboo....Gap long and lean jeans are high enough cover your butt well. The ones I have are quite lightweight and I believe a tint bit of stretch. They are so comfortable. I got my current ones at a Gap outlet and were much cheaper.

I just ordered a pair from the regular store, as I wanted a dark wash. I'm wondering if they will be any different. They did cost more, even on sale. I could never pay $70.00 for a pair of jeans. I'm thinking the outlet pairs were closer to $30.00 on sale.

I'm a bargain hunter. I find nicer, but comfy tops at J C Penny's clearance rack for $3.00 to $8.00. Our regular Gap closed. I used to love 40% off clearance days where I'd get $40.00 tops for $8.00!
Unregistered 01:48 AM 02-27-2015
I buy my jeans at Old Navy, I have never had a booty escaping issue I like the kind of jeans that are stretchy too, since I am squatting and kneeling so much. I do wear through the knees weird fast, too much time crawling around after the babies
Hey, I just posted about Gap jeans cover your butt, and Gap and ONavy are part the same company. I've never bought Old Navy jeans, but that company must be on a mission to cover the butts of the world!

I worked at a center for a short time were we were allowed to wear yoga pants. I never did because I would have felt like I was wearing my pajamas at work. I had a co-worker in the next age group ( we shared a large space) who was quite heavy and whenever she bent over her thong and tattoo were showing. Just not work place appropriate IMHO.

I'm not against yoga pants or nice leggings for in home centers. I really get why you all wear them! I do wear them or exercise pants about once a month, but like someone posted above, I feel sluggish and nap time-ish when I wear them.
Unregistered 08:40 AM 02-27-2015
Kmart has jeans with good coverage called basic editions. Good thick fabric with a tiny bit of stretch. Comes in a couple different washes and in black. I alternated 4 pairs and they lasted 5 years. Only about $20 - 30 each.
Tags:apparel
Reply Up