Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can I claim part of a new washer or dryer as a deductible?
MarinaVanessa 09:38 AM 02-27-2011
The title pretty much says it all, can I claim part of a new washer or dryer as a deductible? Two years ago our dryer broke so we bought a used one off of craigslist, then a few months later our washer broke and we did the same thing. We bought used because it would cost more to repair the others that we had. I don't blame it all on the daycare but I do a lot of washing for it, blankets, clothes, cleaning rags, paint smocks, bibs etc. etc. etc.

Our washer isn't running properly so we decided to just go out and buy a new one. Can I partially deduct the washer as a business expense?
legomom922 11:49 AM 02-27-2011
To my knowledge I would say yes but you would have to depreciate it because it's over $100.
TomCopeland 01:08 PM 02-27-2011
A washer and dryer are "ordinary and necessary" expenses for your business, so you can deduct the business portion of the cost of the washer. Use your time-space percent before depreciating it over 7 years. Since you bought it new you can use the additional 50% depreciation allowance and claim half of the depreciation in 2010.

Join me this Monday for my webinar "How to Reduce Your Taxes for 2010 and 2011" sponsored by daycare.com. For further info: https://www.daycare.com/news/taxes/t...d-webinar.html
Reply Up