Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those That Have Teachers, Summer Idea For Pay
daycare 09:12 AM 03-23-2011
So I was thinking about all of the posts that I was reading here about what to do about fees for when a teacher has the summer off and plans to keep her child out of care. I personally have 2 teachers at my DC.

I decided to call my sister who is a highschool teacher and a mother of a toddler. I asked her what her daycare does and what she would consider fair.

So she tells me that since she gets a choice of all of her pay through the school year, none in the summer or less pay trough the school year and will get pay over the summer, that this is what her daycare does. they let her decide.

My sister pays $150.00 more a month for her sons DC when school is in session, but when summer comes, she does not pay anything at all. If she needs him to attend at all during the summer, the DC allows drop in at full rate if there is an opening.
She is then given her spot back once school starts.

or she can chose to do it the other way and have to pay to keep his spot throughout the summer...

I think that I will have to start this when school goes back in the fall this year.
Do you ladies think this is fair and would work?

I think that this would be a great way to do it.......what do you guys think?
MN Day Mom 09:36 AM 03-23-2011
I think it could work... but what happens if the child leaves or gets terminated during the school year??
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 03-23-2011
What happens if you take a temp kid in the summer months who wants to go permanent? Or would you just leave the space open and not fill it?

I completely understand why this is an issue for teachers but I really do not think it should ever be an issue for the provider because it is part of the territory that comes with the teaching job....just like long hours with no lunch hours or coffee breaks don't come with our jobs...kwim?
daycare 09:50 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
What happens if you take a temp kid in the summer months who wants to go permanent? Or would you just leave the space open and not fill it?

I completely understand why this is an issue for teachers but I really do not think it should ever be an issue for the provider because it is part of the territory that comes with the teaching job....just like long hours with no lunch hours or coffee breaks don't come with our jobs...kwim?
dang it balckcat31 why do you have to make such good points. true, I didnt think about that............

As for getting termed, my sister said that was the chance that you had to take. She said therefore don't be a crappy parent...lmao
Blackcat31 09:58 AM 03-23-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
dang it balckcat31 why do you have to make such good points. true, I didnt think about that............

As for getting termed, my sister said that was the chance that you had to take. She said therefore don't be a crappy parent...lmao
SHE has a point there...if I had to pick who was going to get or keep a space if two people wanted it, I'd definitely pick the family that gave me no grief about any policies and/or rules. Being an "ideal" daycare parent has its perks!
MG&Lsmom 10:18 AM 03-23-2011
This is a tough one coming from being a teacher for 6 years and now doing daycare. I've been back and forth about it all year. I have a hard time asking people to pay for something they won't use. I only require my families to pay for the days they use right now. But they understand if they don't prepay on Friday for the days they need the next week I will not be available.

When I was teaching I paid for all holidays and vacations except summer. Luckily my provider needed my childrens' spots for school age kids who needed full time care during those months. They had been there longer than us, her first clients, so it worked out great for all 3 families. She held my spot over because of this without paying for it.
dEHmom 10:53 AM 03-23-2011
how about this...

I am not sure everyone can afford that extra 150/month, but assuming that is the number given...

that extra 150/month goes into a "holding" account. possibly earning interest???

come summertime, should that parent decide to pull out, or if child is termed, that credit towards summer months is then refunded minus any interest (I highly doubt there would be any interest at all, but if you've got several parents paying into the same account, and you're tracking them each, they might earn something).
daycare 02:09 PM 03-23-2011
sounds almost too good to be true....lol
daycare 02:10 PM 03-23-2011
I think anything is worth a shot.
Tags:provider children, summer program, summer rates
Reply Up