Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Year Old Drinking Formula...
Kacylf 01:02 PM 11-21-2016
I have a 2yo dcb and I've had problems with him eating for a while now. I've talked to DCM and she just says that it's fine and he will eat if he's hungry, just keep offering. Well I recently found out that she gives him 3 formula bottles a day. Is this normal for a 2yo?? She never gave me formula for him to have here so the little guy just doesn't eat at all here. He won't even attempt to eat any food at all and if I try to give him a bite he screams and turns his head.
Josiegirl 02:50 PM 11-21-2016
Normal? Oh heck no. I would ask dcp for a written order from the doctor if there's a medical reason for this. If not, I would sit down and tactfully talk with dcm about his diet at home, what he eats and how he eats it(spoonfed by parent, with his fingers, uses utensils, or doesn't eat anything at all besides formula). For a growing 2 yo he has to be lacking in so many different nutrients, not to mention developmentally appropriate skills revolved around eating real food, chewing, using silverware, etc., etc. Does he drink anything at your house in a cup? He literally eats nothing at your house?
Is this her only child?
mommyneedsadayoff 02:52 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by Kacylf:
I have a 2yo dcb and I've had problems with him eating for a while now. I've talked to DCM and she just says that it's fine and he will eat if he's hungry, just keep offering. Well I recently found out that she gives him 3 formula bottles a day. Is this normal for a 2yo?? She never gave me formula for him to have here so the little guy just doesn't eat at all here. He won't even attempt to eat any food at all and if I try to give him a bite he screams and turns his head.
I am not sure on normal (what is normal about parenting these days??), but I would be very upset that I was not told about the bottles. Three bottles is a significant amount of formula (depending on how big a bottle), so it would have easily explained the lack of eating and saved ou from worrying about it. Whether you an stop them from giving the bottles is another issue, but you should have been told. FTR, I try to wean them by about 12-18 months, so i do not agree with giving him 3 bottles of formula a day, especially if it is interfering with his eating. His nutrition should be coming from food at this point.
Mom2Two 03:07 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would be very upset that I was not told about the bottles.
I wouldn't be too happy at not being told about it either. It leaves you wondering what's going on when dck isn't eating.

That's a lot of calories--no wonder dck isn't eating!
Kacylf 03:57 PM 11-21-2016
This is her second child, her older son will be 4 next month and she said he was drinking formula up until he was 3!! He drinks a little bit here and there (milk, Apple juice, water) but doesn't drink much. He drinks so much better out of a bottle but I don't feel like he should be using a bottle anymore. He will occasionally eat snacks but he definitely doesn't eat much. He is a huge boy, he weighs more than his almost 4 year old brother, and I don't understand how! Last time I talked to her about his eating habits she said that sometimes she will take food and put (force) it in his mouth and then he will realize that it's good and eat...I'm sorry but I don't feel comfortable force feeding, I always give him silverware and I attempt to put a bite in his mouth but he refuses.
Kacylf 04:04 PM 11-21-2016
I am upset with just now being told about him drinking formula. I've mentioned his eating before and she didn't tell me I don't understand how she was okay knowing the reason he wasn't eating was because he's used to drinking bottles but didn't tell me and didn't provide me with formula for him at least. I don't know if she knows it's crazy so she didn't want to tell me or what! Ugh I hate to judge what parents do with their kids but I'm worried about dcb!
Ariana 04:40 PM 11-21-2016
I had this issue with my current dcg last year when she was 2. Mom kept complaining about her lack of eating and she would barely eat here. Find out mom was giving her 9 cups of milk a day. She saw the look of shock on my face when she told me, looked it up on the internet and then came the next day saying she was going to cut it out. Yes lady you have a 40lb 2 yr old!
Blackcat31 05:05 PM 11-21-2016
Is it infant formula (birth to 12 months) or toddler formula (12-24 months)?

How did she word it/explain it you?

Could DCB have had feeding/dietary/medical issues in infancy?
Kacylf 05:37 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Is it infant formula (birth to 12 months) or toddler formula (12-24 months)?

How did she word it/explain it you?

Could DCB have had feeding/dietary/medical issues in infancy?
She didn't tell me what kind of formula but I would assume toddler. I was asking about how much milk she gives him and she said "Probably 4 cups a day, he also gets 3 formula bottles" she then said "I know he probably shouldn't be drinking formula still but I don't think it hurts anything". I was kind of in shock because she never told me about this before. He never had any issues that I know of. I've been watching him since he was 3 months old and she stopped bringing formula for him when he was about 14 months old.
daycare 05:43 PM 11-21-2016
Can I ask what nationality this family is?
Kacylf 05:55 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
Can I ask what nationality this family is?
They are an American family
daycare 06:06 PM 11-21-2016
They are an American family
Wow. Both parents. ??
Reason I asked is that many cultures practice keeping their children, especially boys, infants as long as they possibly can. Boys are often treated like gold and are expected to do nothing on their own. Mothers and caretakers do everything for them.

I think we all know this is not an American custom. Lol so I've got nothing. Lol.
Kacylf 06:36 PM 11-21-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wow. Both parents. ??
Reason I asked is that many cultures practice keeping their children, especially boys, infants as long as they possibly can. Boys are often treated like gold and are expected to do nothing on their own. Mothers and caretakers do everything for them.

I think we all know this is not an American custom. Lol so I've got nothing. Lol.
Yup both parents but it does feel like DCM wants to keep them little forever! Both of the kids are babied WAY too much. They are sweet little guys and I know it's not their fault but UGH.
Blackcat31 06:50 PM 11-21-2016
Well if its not medically required and its not cultural, I'd start supplying mom with some resources on the importance of a toddler diet... and maybe allowing her child to gain some independence.
Cat Herder 05:37 AM 11-23-2016
How is this childs growth and weight going? Milestones? Energy levels?
daycarediva 07:40 AM 11-23-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Well if its not medically required and its not cultural, I'd start supplying mom with some resources on the importance of a toddler diet... and maybe allowing her child to gain some independence.
I would require a feeding plan from the pediatrician. I would want it on my form, and would specify that dcb will not eat any table food during an entire 8+ hour day for you (X number of days per week) and that the mother has told you dcb is drinking X amount of formula and X amount of milk with X amount of table foods force fed.

No pediatrician will sign off saying that is acceptable, unless this child has some kind of eating disorder/feeding issues.

Just when you think you have heard it all...
Ariana 07:49 AM 11-23-2016
So 4 cups of milk plus 3 bottles of formula which is most likely infant formula. This is why he doesn't eat. He doesn't have to!

Definitely agree some information and education needs to be supplied to the parent. Some parents, especially if this is their first baby, have no idea when to transition their babies into toddlers so you could help them with that by showing her nutritional guidelines.
Mom2Two 03:54 PM 11-23-2016
I don't know that there's too much you can do about what the child gets fed at home. If mom was giving Carnation Instant Breakfast, that may be even more calories than the formula. But there's not much you can do about it except say something or give literature as others have said.

I would recommend ceasing to offer a bite. Kids aren't stupid, and 99.99% of them know that when they feel hunger, they put food in their mouths.

If he's large and not eating at your house, that's probably a good thing, not a bad thing.

Just offer some decent food and let him take it or leave it. And if it were me, I would be mentioning a bit of info to mom about kids not eating vegies if they're full of high calorie food.
Heidi 02:23 PM 11-28-2016
http://www.oregondairycouncil.org/re...by-English.pdf
Kacylf 04:46 AM 11-29-2016
I've talked to DCM about this and showed her info. She just can't get over the fact that her 2yo is not a baby anymore, he is a toddler. This will be her last child; she has 2 children, her husband has 4 children and does not want anymore. I think this being her last is really hard for her. As far as his energy levels, he sleeps at least 10 hrs at night (according to Mom) and takes a 2-3 hour nap at my home. When he's awake he seems to have quite a bit of energy. I know this wasn't the topic, but he also doesn't speak. I did some research and found out this could be normal, some kids don't speak until 3yrs. I haven't seen a 2yo that couldn't say any words at all until him. He won't even say basic mama, dada, hi, bye, etc. I love this family and the boys are the sweetest little guys ever but I am worried!
Tags:nutritional supplements, supplemental nutrition, toddler formula
Reply Up