Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For You Ladies Who Hate When A Parent Sends A Child While They Aren't Working...
Hunni Bee 06:15 PM 10-10-2011
....how about if they send them while they sit outside your door for hours on their cell?

We have a kindergartner who comes to us from school around 3:45. His mom had been sitting in our parking lot since 3:30 waiting. When the child arrived, he got in the car with his mom and we presumed they'd left. We went outside in the yard after snack. About 20 minutes later, the child comes walking from the back of the building, BY HIMSELF, saying that his mom sent him to us because she's on the phone and she said to feed him snack.

There was no more snack. We stop serving at 4 pm. And why should we have to feed him when his mother is sitting in her car on the phone??

The kid started crying, so I went to the mom's car and explained that snack was over and because we'd thought they'd left, his snack was given away. I figured she would get the kid and take him home to feed him. She said "Okay, okay" and went back to her conversation. She did not come in to get the child until 5:30.

I'm of the opinion that when he got into the car with his mom, he was signed out of care for the day, and should not have been allowed to return, let alone demand to be fed. He was on his parents time.

The nerve.
wdmmom 06:19 PM 10-10-2011
I would have to agree.

This goes back to the one admission, one departure per child per day rule.

Once they leave the house (building in your case), they are no longer your responsibility until the parent drops off in the morning.

I probably would have told her that since he'd been signed out for the day, that means care is done for the day.
PitterPatter 06:22 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We have a kindergartner who comes to us from school around 3:45. His mom had been sitting in our parking lot since 3:30 waiting. When the child arrived, he got in the car with his mom and we presumed they'd left. We went outside in the yard after snack. About 20 minutes later, the child comes walking from the back of the building, BY HIMSELF, saying that his mom sent him to us because she's on the phone and she said to feed him snack.

There was no more snack. We stop serving at 4 pm. And why should we have to feed him when his mother is sitting in her car on the phone??

The kid started crying, so I went to the mom's car and explained that snack was over and because we'd thought they'd left, his snack was given away. I figured she would get the kid and take him home to feed him. She said "Okay, okay" and went back to her conversation. She did not come in to get the child until 5:30.

I'm of the opinion that when he got into the car with his mom, he was signed out of care for the day, and should not have been allowed to return, let alone demand to be fed. He was on his parents time.

The nerve.
Parents never cease to amaze me! Just when I think I have seen it all...

I will never understand how some minds work.
Hunni Bee 06:23 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I would have to agree.

This goes back to the one admission, one departure per child per day rule.

Once they leave the house (building in your case), they are no longer your responsibility until the parent drops off in the morning.

I probably would have told her that since he'd been signed out for the day, that means care is done for the day.
I would love to have said that, but it wasn't my call.
cheerfuldom 06:24 PM 10-10-2011
time to make a new, firm policy about not returning once signed out for the day and parents leaving the parking lot immediately. your daycare would be liable should he have wandered off or gotten hurt in the parking lot!
Kaddidle Care 06:36 PM 10-10-2011
If I read the post correctly, the mother never signed him out.

Someone from your Center should have been out there to greet him and get him off the bus UNLESS the Mom came in prior to the bus getting there and signed him out.

Until he is signed out, he's on your clock and still your responsibility.

The Mother is responsible for paying your Center until 5:30.

Must have been some phone call. Very attentive parent - NOT.
Hunni Bee 06:42 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
If I read the post correctly, the mother never signed him out.

Someone from your Center should have been out there to greet him and get him off the bus UNLESS the Mom came in prior to the bus getting there and signed him out.

Until he is signed out, he's on your clock and still your responsibility.

The Mother is responsible for paying your Center until 5:30.

Must have been some phone call. Very attentive parent - NOT.
We pick them up in the van from school. The driver took the child over to the parents car. The handoff was made
daycare 07:23 PM 10-10-2011
Wow thats crazy... This is why I require a sign in and out log.
Once you sign them out, I am not responsible for the child anymore.

I would be racking up the late fees if he were past the time he should have been there.... I hope she was making a million dollar sale or something.....I just don't understand what could be that importatn that you cant call back in 15-20 min when you are at home??
Childminder 07:26 PM 10-10-2011
That poor baby.
Kaddidle Care 07:29 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
We pick them up in the van from school. The driver took the child over to the parents car. The handoff was made
Ah gotcha! It's time for a sign in/sign out log for safety/liability's sake. Director needs to have a sit down with this parent ASAP. This is an accident waiting to happen.
Hunni Bee 07:31 PM 10-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
Wow thats crazy... This is why I require a sign in and out log.
Once you sign them out, I am not responsible for the child anymore.

I would be racking up the late fees if he were past the time he should have been there.... I hope she was making a million dollar sale or something.....I just don't understand what could be that importatn that you cant call back in 15-20 min when you are at home??
We do have one. But no one uses it. With 50+ families, there would have to be someone paid to stand there and make sure every signs in/out.
Growing1atime 08:06 PM 10-10-2011
Maybe the phone call was something that couldn't be interrupted. I don't know about you, but trying to have a conversation with someone while there is a child near by is almost impossible to complete without many interruptions. I have been interrupted 3 times just trying to write this post!

I guess I am just saying not all parents are trolls. It could just be she got caught on the phone with her boss or a client.

She could have just pulled into the parking lot to get off the road and wait and the situation was out of her control. Having some perspective sometimes is helpful to understand people and their strange actions. She may not have been able to communicate this to the driver at the time. I have to believe no one would want to sit on a phone in the parking lot for 2 hours without reason.
Springdaze 05:39 AM 10-11-2011
Im confused. why was she there if not to pick up? and as for signing in and out, she wouldnt have signed him out because she wasnt intending on taking him, right?
Cat Herder 05:53 AM 10-11-2011
Does your employer have a strong password on their wireless router?

Free internet can be pretty appealing to some.
countrymom 06:06 AM 10-11-2011
wow, I can see an accident waiting to happen. If the phone call was so important then why didn't she stay at work and deal with it. So does this mom always sit in the lot and talk on her phone.
caligirl 06:21 AM 10-11-2011
Wow. And here I thought I had seen it all.......wow
youretooloud 08:11 AM 10-11-2011
Wow..that would really bother me! If she was having a serious and important conversation, she should have been parked elsewhere. It's not fair to make a five year old stand around and wait for two hours. Especially when he's been at school all day. He's tired, hungry and ready to go home. Why couldn't she let you know?

I don't mind at ALL if parents take a day off and bring the kids to me. I am more than happy to have them. But, I DO NOT want a parent in my driveway for half a day talking on the phone and taking up space that might be needed by someone else.
Hunni Bee 05:24 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Wow..that would really bother me! If she was having a serious and important conversation, she should have been parked elsewhere. It's not fair to make a five year old stand around and wait for two hours. Especially when he's been at school all day. He's tired, hungry and ready to go home. Why couldn't she let you know?

I don't mind at ALL if parents take a day off and bring the kids to me. I am more than happy to have them. But, I DO NOT want a parent in my driveway for half a day talking on the phone and taking up space that might be needed by someone else.
She does it a lot. She either sits and waits for the van and takes the child from there, or she comes later and sits in the parking lot talking on the phone, then comes in to get him. I don't like it, but like I said its not my call.

If she allowed him to come in like he regularly does, eat, do his homework and play with his friends, there would have been no problem. She could have sat there all day....the child was still on the clock.

My issue is the fact that she took him into car as if she was picking him up. Then waits 20 minutes and decides she wants him to eat at daycare, then lets him walk up from the parking lot to the front yard, a good 2 minute walk for a five year old and there is a point where he was out of the sight of both her and us. After we thought he was gone from the premises or at least in the custody of his parent. Expecting us to have infinite food sitting around warming for whenever he dropped in. Finally, she did not immediately take him and feed him.

Its like she felt like we were at her beckon call, and she made an unsafe and uncomfortable situation for the child.
Kaddidle Care 05:41 PM 10-11-2011
Originally Posted by Growing1atime:
Maybe the phone call was something that couldn't be interrupted. I don't know about you, but trying to have a conversation with someone while there is a child near by is almost impossible to complete without many interruptions. I have been interrupted 3 times just trying to write this post!

I guess I am just saying not all parents are trolls. It could just be she got caught on the phone with her boss or a client.

She could have just pulled into the parking lot to get off the road and wait and the situation was out of her control. Having some perspective sometimes is helpful to understand people and their strange actions. She may not have been able to communicate this to the driver at the time. I have to believe no one would want to sit on a phone in the parking lot for 2 hours without reason.
Ah yes! Perhaps she skipped out of work early and then realized she had to talk to the boss and couldn't let on as to where she was!

So self absorbed - and I have no doubt that she chats on the phone the whole time she's driving too. Poor kid.

I've had some of my best conversations with my kids when we are driving.
Tags:parents - don't want kids, parents - uninvolved
Reply Up