Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I am glad I am getting paid but still.....
cheerfuldom 08:47 PM 08-05-2012
I took one temporary kid just to help make ends meet. I dont normally take temp. kids but I figured I would make it work.

So much drama though! The mom has been super high maintenance with floods of emails to me about various tips on her child's care like "if he gets fussy, check his diaper".....you know the type. Also wanting a full interview, references, etc, and multiple playdates before care began. I said no on the playdates. I dont do playdates here because it has always turned into a time for mom to critique and stress.

The kid was only supposed to be here for 3 full days and 2 half days while his regular provider was unavailable. One half day, they didnt show although mom did text me and did pay me for the day. The next day, she dropped off and we tucked him in for nap and then she stood in my hallway and sobbed.....yikes! I (nicely) directed her to go but she has been a basket case from the first meeting. I cant tell if she is really that worried about him being here or if maybe she is a little unstable or something. Then he came for another day. Now he is missing a second day although I am still getting paid for it. Only two more days to go with them and I have barely worked at all. I do sort of feel bad for getting paid......

but the kid, of course, cries a lot and one day he was here, had bad diarrhea and his diaper leaked ALL over me and my couch before I even realized what happened. Its been years since any kid had such a bad diaper, let alone made such a huge mess. I just let him stay here because I did not want to go thru the drama of sending him home. He napped till pickup time anyway.

so I feel that I am getting paid for putting up with mom's drama more than actually caring for a child! After all this, I get the feeling that she will be back or even ask for a full time spot, at which point I will be conveniently "full at this time, sorry"
My3cents 11:48 AM 08-06-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I took one temporary kid just to help make ends meet. I dont normally take temp. kids but I figured I would make it work.

So much drama though! The mom has been super high maintenance with floods of emails to me about various tips on her child's care like "if he gets fussy, check his diaper".....you know the type. Also wanting a full interview, references, etc, and multiple playdates before care began. I said no on the playdates. I dont do playdates here because it has always turned into a time for mom to critique and stress.

The kid was only supposed to be here for 3 full days and 2 half days while his regular provider was unavailable. One half day, they didnt show although mom did text me and did pay me for the day. The next day, she dropped off and we tucked him in for nap and then she stood in my hallway and sobbed.....yikes! I (nicely) directed her to go but she has been a basket case from the first meeting. I cant tell if she is really that worried about him being here or if maybe she is a little unstable or something. Then he came for another day. Now he is missing a second day although I am still getting paid for it. Only two more days to go with them and I have barely worked at all. I do sort of feel bad for getting paid......

but the kid, of course, cries a lot and one day he was here, had bad diarrhea and his diaper leaked ALL over me and my couch before I even realized what happened. Its been years since any kid had such a bad diaper, let alone made such a huge mess. I just let him stay here because I did not want to go thru the drama of sending him home. He napped till pickup time anyway.

so I feel that I am getting paid for putting up with mom's drama more than actually caring for a child! After all this, I get the feeling that she will be back or even ask for a full time spot, at which point I will be conveniently "full at this time, sorry"
Work out the kinks and give them a chance. Might end up to be your best family. Level with her that you are capable and if you have any issues you will call her, and that you want her to feel she is able to leave her child with you and trust you. Tell her it is upsetting to you, to see her like this and it will cause her child in the long run to have separation issues, and anxiety. She does have it going for her that she is a caring parent- could be the other way around. She just needs adjustment to not being in control completely. All depends on how much you want to put up with. I would just acknowledge her little quirks and assure her that you and the little one will be fine and no one is going to replace her. Put her in her place, and tell her if your going to have a wonderful relationship that she has to let you do what you do. Best---
Reply Up