Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Funshine Express users?
Josiegirl 03:29 AM 05-23-2014
Every so often I get a mailing from this company. I did it in the past, a very long time ago, for a few months. The kids and I enjoyed it. But it is costly. I'm thinking towards the fall I might give it a go, IF I have enough kids enrolled to justify it.
My question is this, what are your opinions on it? The good, the bad, the ugly?
Thanks!!
Blackcat31 05:49 AM 05-23-2014
More threads on Funshine
https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...ine+buttercups

I've used Funshine before.

As for feedback when I used it:

I found that I did like that the days were all laid out for you and the crafts were all pre-packaged separately. I also liked the book, teacher supplies and CD that were included.

As for negatives:

I did NOT like the cost.
I found a lot of the crafts were too advanced for my preschoolers
Alot of the crafts required a TON of work on my end because my preschoolers weren't skilled at some of the things the crafts required (weaving, cutting small pieces, etc)
After using it for awhile, I found that a lot of stuff was repeated...

HTH
Josiegirl 02:45 PM 05-24-2014
Thanks BC! I'm still on the fence. I guess it'll depend on who I end up with after the summer, just trying to think ahead here. My youngish toddlers are approaching 2 1/2-3 and I think they need something different than what I offer. I just have to make it through summer first.
rebekki78 07:35 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

As for feedback when I used it:

I found that I did like that the days were all laid out for you and the crafts were all pre-packaged separately.

As for negatives:

I did NOT like the cost.
I found a lot of the crafts were too advanced for my preschoolers
Alot of the crafts required a TON of work on my end because my preschoolers weren't skilled at some of the things the crafts required (weaving, cutting small pieces, etc)

HTH
I agree with this. I have 2 three yr olds & 2 four yr olds and most were too advanced. I like crafts that don't need much preperation and the kids complete start to finish. With Funshine I found them too advanced for the kids I have.

I started going strictly with the Faith Lessons.
mema 07:55 AM 06-04-2014
I too, liked that it was all laid out for you. Some crafts yes are too advanced. I actually bought it once a few years ago and still have half the crafts as they just didn't seem to mesh with the group I had. My dd will probably end up doing them. I did however, keep the calendar stuff, games, numbers, letters, colors, etc and laminate them to reuse them. I only had 3 kiddos at the time that were preschool age, so it wasn't super costly (I only actually bought for 2 as one was not here everday and just winged her crafts with my own supplies). Now I use the teacher guide for ideas and just make up my own things to go with it.
dalman 08:08 AM 06-04-2014
I have been using Funshine for the past five years for six preschoolers. That being said, I have a lot of crafts left over that we never got to. So next fall, I plan on using what I have left, supplementing with ideas and printables from the internet and items I have purchased from the store. Another contributing factor is that we do not do preschool everyday. I believe that children learn most entirely through play, so we use playtime to work on colors, shapes, number concepts, etc. The preschool projects are mainly for the parents. It is what it is.

I would suggest using it for one year and seeing how it works with your group. I find that there is so much there that we never have time to do all of it. But I also like to add other things into the mix.

On the downside, I end up doing almost all the cutting as most of my dck's have not mastered the scissors. I have them work on scissor skills with just random sheets of paper to feel successful as there are no lines for them to follow but they get practice holding the scissors and moving the paper, etc.

I like that the entire day is set up for you, if you wish. The kids love the music CD and taking their projects home at the end of the day.

Hope this helps.
Reply Up