Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question On Laminate Flooring And Foam Mats, Area Carpets
mac60 04:59 AM 10-07-2011
We are putting down laminate flooring in the family room/daycare room. I am wanting to put area rugs/and or the foam interlocking mats down in one area for the kids. For those who have laminate flooring in your daycare space, what did you find works the best?

While I prefer to keep it more family friendly than daycareish. I know I need a soft play area for them.

I plan on making a space with our family furniture, tv, and an area rug. I will dedicate a space of about 8 x 16 for the daycare area. I think I prefer area rugs for the daycare area.

A couple ideas I have come up with.....
1. 2 area rugs spliced together in the daycare area. Does anyone know how I can secure two area rugs from underneath (make 1 seam where attached).

2. An assortment of carpet squares laid out to make an area rug. But how do I secure the squares to one another. Is there a special tape to use.

Also, Area rugs, do I need to have a liner under the area rugs so they don't damage the laminate?

Thanks for any ideas on this.
Cat Herder 05:37 AM 10-07-2011
I'd go with whichever rug option is most stain resistant and inexpensive.

I'd secure them with Velcro tape (to a non-skid mat) so I can get them up fast in case of vomitous/urine/feces that can absorb into the cracks of laminate floors causing them to swell and absorb it deep into the fibers thereby creating a smell that can haunt a family for generations.
Crazy8 05:37 AM 10-07-2011
I have laminate wood floors in my entire house except the kitchen. I have used area rugs in the playroom with no problems. I use a non-skid rug pad underneath them. I recently put a small section of those foam mats for a baby area - not sure how the floor will hold up underneath them. Its only a small area so I've been picking them up at the end of each week and mopping the floor underneath. I am a little concerned with spit up, etc. getting thru the cracks and getting moldy underneath!

As for rugs put together they sell this rug tape stuff you can use, but you will probably always see the seam. Lowes and other places sell those carpet squares but I believe they stick to the floor - may ruin the laminate. I do want to try them in my basement which is just a concrete floor!!

Overall I find the laminate easy to maintain. Easy clean up after lunches, etc.
mac60 05:58 AM 10-07-2011
I am wondering if there is something I can attach the carpet squares to, like some type of liner or something similar. I know I don't want to attach to the laminate.
mac60 06:19 AM 10-07-2011
this is the kind of rug I want to make out of carpet tiles.
http://www.bhg.com/rooms/living-room...g-room/#page=2
MommyMuffin 06:19 AM 10-07-2011
I am in the process of putting down laminate tiles that stick to the floor in my family room down stairs. I will be putting rugs down for warmth. For the baby area I will use the foam mats for cushion on the babies. I dont think they will ruin the floor. I may pick the mats up and wipe them down every friday, throw them in a tote and keep them in the laundry room for the weekend.

I think the carpet squares interlock together.

I am purchasing carpet remnants for the other daycare area and I will be using carpet tape to secure it. Maybe you could check out the carpet tape and see if you can use it to secure your rugs together. Also, I would purchase those non skid sheets that you can put under the rug so there is no slipping.

If I have trouble with the 1 -2 walking and falling on the floor they make those socks with the rubber feet on them, I will just throw them on the little ones so they dont get hurt.

Show us some pictures when you finish.
Crystal 06:41 AM 10-07-2011
You can get a carpet seaming tape at the hardware store.

I'd totally go with rugs.
MyAngels 07:08 AM 10-07-2011
I'd turn the rugs over and use duct tape to secure them together at the seam - of course I'm of the "beat it to fit, paint it to match" school of thought though. I'd use plenty to keep them secure . I'd also use one of those non-skid mats that was the size of both rugs underneath.

One thing you need to do with laminate is pick up any covering you use and sweep/mop underneath pretty frequently to keep the floor from being damaged by anything that comes through the covering.
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 10-07-2011
Target used to sell something similar to these http://www.flor.com/ppc1 that had kid designs and stuff on them.

I think Home Depot might sell them still and theirs are plain. It would be cute if you had each kid make a different pattern or picture on the carpet tile and then put them together to make a patch work rug.
godiva83 07:36 AM 10-07-2011
I would go with carpet tiles!! If one gets wrecked up it comes and out it goes! Maybe stick them directly onto one of those non- skid mats?
OR get one of those outdoor rugs they are on sale as it's end of season in a lot of places and they are actually pretty nice- some look like natural grass cloth or siesal. Best thing is they don't let things leak thru and
You can take them out back and hose them off! I have a huge one in my living room and LOVE it- it is practically indestructible, was cheap, doesn't look cheap, decor friendly (not kiddy) I get a lot of compliments on it.
Tags:carpet, flooring, flooring - laminate, laminate, mats
Reply Up