Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bringing Stuff From Home?
Daycarelady1979 05:08 AM 08-21-2012
I have a policy that states DO NOT BRING TOYS (STUFFED ANIMALS) FROM HOME OR BLANKETS/PILLOWS FROM HOME. I PROVIDE ALL BLANKETS/PILLOWS FOR NAP TIME & THEY WILL BE WASHED EACH FRIDAY. I'm sure you all understand where I'm coming from...I don't want things from other people's homes here b/c I'm terrified of bed bugs, lice, etc. Well, yesterday I had an interview w/ a lady that has 2 kids & I told her my policy & she said both her boys have "blankies" that they carry around & one of them carries 2 small stuffed animals around everywhere. She seemed upset that they couldn't bring them here. I don't know what to do...I need this income so badly & she's ready to sign the papers...do I tell her it's ok to bring that stuff? I REALLY don't want them to have it here but I can't afford to lose this family! How do I tell her nicely why I have the policy that I have without offending her? What kind of policy do you all have regarding things from home? Thanks!
My Lil' Monkeys 06:13 AM 08-21-2012
I have in my contract that they are not allowed to bring toys from home and if it gets brought in it gets left in there cubbies. I do allow napping items. I have a dck who's attached to their blankets (2 of them) and it's a comfort item which is allowed only at nap. Once awake the blankets go back in the cubby for pick up.
Crazy8 06:23 AM 08-21-2012
I also have the no toys from home policy but allow a special lovey/blankie for nap time. Its kept in their bag until nap time and put away right after. I have kids who are 100% attached to these items at home (and the parents are to blame more than the kids for their dependency) but the minute they come in my house they put it away and after nap they hand it right to me.

I would explain that it is for the safety of all children - reverse the situation as if it was another child, I often find that works. If you are comfortable with the idea, allow it just for nap time.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 08-21-2012
This is what my contract says about items from home:

Please do not allow your child to bring toys or items from home. I have spent an enormous amount of time purchasing developmentally appropriate and educational toys/activities for the children in my care. When items are brought from home, it can cause undue stress and anxiety for a child. Any item brought into the child care home becomes my responsibility, so please make sure ALL toys/items from home remain in your vehicle so they do not pose an issue here.

For children who use blankets and lovies, you are encouraged to bring one and leave at child care. The blanket will be kept in the child's basket except at nap time. This eliminates any sanitary issues from being passed back and forth between home and child care. I will wash these items on regular basis. Children will not be able to carry around such items during our normal day as this causes safety, health and sharing issues. Thank you for recognizing our group needs.

HTH
MaritimeMummy 06:33 AM 08-21-2012
Bedbugs and lice on blankets and toys? Not to be rude but this stuff comes in on the people themselves just as much as an inanimate object.
MsMe 06:46 AM 08-21-2012
I also don't allow things from home.

I do allow a blanket from home to STAY here.

Many parents buy an identical one and leave it here.
Heidi 07:24 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is what my contract says about items from home:

Please do not allow your child to bring toys or items from home. I have spent an enormous amount of time purchasing developmentally appropriate and educational toys/activities for the children in my care. When items are brought from home, it can cause undue stress and anxiety for a child. Any item brought into the child care home becomes my responsibility, so please make sure ALL toys/items from home remain in your vehicle so they do not pose an issue here.

For children who use blankets and lovies, you are encouraged to bring one and leave at child care. The blanket will be kept in the child's basket except at nap time. This eliminates any sanitary issues from being passed back and forth between home and child care. I will wash these items on regular basis. Children will not be able to carry around such items during our normal day as this causes safety, health and sharing issues. Thank you for recognizing our group needs.

HTH

I jhave the same policy....
cheerfuldom 08:16 AM 08-21-2012
Have them find duplicates to leave at the daycare permanently. No extra stuff coming and going because then you will get frantic calls at 9pm when mom cant find special puppy and needs you to look for it so they can come by and get it.

I dont let kids carry around special items all day because it ALWAYS ends up in fighting and territorial behaviors. Items stay in the nap area for nap time use only. Same thing with binkies or any other comfort items.
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 08-21-2012
I don't have a policy against bringing things from home however they have to be age appropriate. I care for kids under the age of 5 so pretty much that means that no items with small parts that can fall off. I have a little girl that absolutely needs to have a Teddy but he doesn't have button eyes so I allow it but she isn't allowed to take it outside.

I suppose I don't bother with this rule anymore (I used to have it) because I got tired of having he same discussion over and over. I simply changed the policy and mentioned that I would no be responsible for damaged, lost or broken items. Usually the first time that a child brings something it gets missplaced and I just tell the parent that it'll probably turn up eventually. It usually only takes that one time before they stop bringing anything else anymore. I may go back to he no items from home policy though.
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't have a policy against bringing things from home however they have to be age appropriate. I care for kids under the age of 5 so pretty much that means that no items with small parts that can fall off. I have a little girl that absolutely needs to have a Teddy but he doesn't have button eyes so I allow it but she isn't allowed to take it outside.

I suppose I don't bother with this rule anymore (I used to have it) because I got tired of having he same discussion over and over. I simply changed the policy and mentioned that I would no be responsible for damaged, lost or broken items. Usually the first time that a child brings something it gets missplaced and I just tell the parent that it'll probably turn up eventually. It usually only takes that one time before they stop bringing anything else anymore. I may go back to he no items from home policy though.
yeah that is how I was for awhile but a few parents got out of control...bringing up to a half dozen items every day. constantly complaining if stuff was missing, kid is crying at the door to get to their stuff before they leave, kid cant walk because they come in holding so many items, kid is crying because someone came to close to their item, parents want kids to have access to items at all times, parents calling after hours and on weekends looking for items, and on and on and on. I HAD to make a policy at certain point because it was getting ridiculous. The week I got strict with everyone, the problems at drop off, pickup, and during the day were gone. The kids didnt even care about the items once they were gone. I think parents get attached to this stuff way more than the kids.
MizzCheryl 09:26 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
Bedbugs and lice on blankets and toys? Not to be rude but this stuff comes in on the people themselves just as much as an inanimate object.
Dang that was a good point. I was just about to freak out as I have 2 that drag their blanket in everyday. I put them up and let them have them only at nap. Still kinda irritating
MaritimeMummy 09:41 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Clueless:
Dang that was a good point. I was just about to freak out as I have 2 that drag their blanket in everyday. I put them up and let them have them only at nap. Still kinda irritating
Oh dude, it's super irritating, I know. every one of my DCKs brings a toy from home at least on a daily basis. Yeah sure, they're free to bring it, but the second that it drops out of their hands and is left abandoned, it's in their box until the end of the day. My frustration lies with frantically searching for said object at pick up time!
MizzCheryl 09:51 AM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by MaritimeMummy:
Oh dude, it's super irritating, I know. every one of my DCKs brings a toy from home at least on a daily basis. Yeah sure, they're free to bring it, but the second that it drops out of their hands and is left abandoned, it's in their box until the end of the day. My frustration lies with frantically searching for said object at pick up time!
Or let another kiddie touch "their" toy....... Scream fest!
I stick it up too. Sometimes they forget about it on top of my fridge. I have all kinds of cool toys up there.
Daycarelady1979 11:42 AM 08-21-2012
I realize that bed bugs & lice can be on the children themselves, but I feel I can lessen the problem (or perhaps help control it) if they're not dragging stuff back & forth. They may treat a child's head for lice but what if they forget the blanket & then they bring it to daycare? I have my own kids to think about & I do NOT have the extra $$ to treat my home for a bug infestation. I understand what you are saying about the children themselves, honestly I do...but I just want to take every precaution I can to keep my daycare environment safe & healthy. Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:59 AM 08-21-2012
I would allow it for naptime until they no longer need it I have a couple of kids that have had binks way past needing them, but I only allow them at naptime. I do not have a policy about no toys from home. When they become an issue I put them up for the day. I welcome a blanket from home etc. We just use it at naptime. If it comes in dirty, I wash it before naptime One of my boys had a lovey, parents gave me an "identical one" but it wasn't so lovey came with this kidlet every day to play with my lovey. I loved lovey.. my ds and I are warped and lovey had a british accent in our brain and we would give him words.. "oh no "C" hold me upright.. I think I might be turning green.. wait, I am a frog. frogs are suppose to be green. I must be fine." When he got older he waited in the window at home for C to come home and now he stays in his bed only... ahh good times, good times. I miss lovey.
I think that is why I like having kidlets in my home- you get all the little things in life with them. Each kidlet is different and I can be flexible. Some kidlets have stunk so bad I have needed to have a change of clothes here. When they got here I would change them and wash the other set. Some parents can never remember mittens sooo I have " extras". This job is half child care provider and half mom, sometimes mom for the mom! But, I know my kidlets know I love them. If that is changing them out of their pjs and doing their hair in the morning that is what it is! Poopie diapers, peeing on my floor, making messes, wahsing blakets or lovies, brushing the knotted doll hair... is all worth it for the smiles, the hugs, the I love you Mrs Steinel and the knowing that in some of these kidlets' lives... they knew that "someone" loved them and cared about them because unfortunately in our society today that is sometimes not their parents..
Ok I am off my soap box..
Daycarelady1979 12:16 PM 08-21-2012
I agree and feel the same
cheerfuldom 12:36 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I would allow it for naptime until they no longer need it I have a couple of kids that have had binks way past needing them, but I only allow them at naptime. I do not have a policy about no toys from home. When they become an issue I put them up for the day. I welcome a blanket from home etc. We just use it at naptime. If it comes in dirty, I wash it before naptime One of my boys had a lovey, parents gave me an "identical one" but it wasn't so lovey came with this kidlet every day to play with my lovey. I loved lovey.. my ds and I are warped and lovey had a british accent in our brain and we would give him words.. "oh no "C" hold me upright.. I think I might be turning green.. wait, I am a frog. frogs are suppose to be green. I must be fine." When he got older he waited in the window at home for C to come home and now he stays in his bed only... ahh good times, good times. I miss lovey.
I think that is why I like having kidlets in my home- you get all the little things in life with them. Each kidlet is different and I can be flexible. Some kidlets have stunk so bad I have needed to have a change of clothes here. When they got here I would change them and wash the other set. Some parents can never remember mittens sooo I have " extras". This job is half child care provider and half mom, sometimes mom for the mom! But, I know my kidlets know I love them. If that is changing them out of their pjs and doing their hair in the morning that is what it is! Poopie diapers, peeing on my floor, making messes, wahsing blakets or lovies, brushing the knotted doll hair... is all worth it for the smiles, the hugs, the I love you Mrs Steinel and the knowing that in some of these kidlets' lives... they knew that "someone" loved them and cared about them because unfortunately in our society today that is sometimes not their parents..
Ok I am off my soap box..
well said....especially the "mom to the moms"....I am saddened to see how unprepared some of my daycare moms have been as they started their journey into motherhood. for the most part, they arent ill intentions, they just really dont know any better. I was surprised by the amount of caretaking toward the daycare parents that I have to do with this job! But I do love to be a part of these kids' lives. Coming from a very bad childhood myself, I remember a few teachers and caregivers that really reached out to me in a special way and I hope I can provide a little bit of that to my daycare moms and my daycare kids.
dave4him 12:41 PM 08-21-2012
If my niece brings things from home... they tend to disappear after a short while. Shes not old enough to care. She does have a blanket we keep her for her thats it. Her mommy doesnt seem to understand this rule, but there is something about getting her out of the house is easier with something in hand. She used to try leaving with one of our toys or animals before... oy
daycare 12:42 PM 08-21-2012
have not read everyone else post, but this is what I do.

I do talk about my no toys from home policy and no in and out items.

I don't push it on too thick and just let them do what they want to do.

perfect example, I have a family that just started that said their 2 year old has to have a binky. Ok fine bring it. I don't do binkies, I put it in the cubby and it stays there all day. When the parents come they ask where it is and I just say they didn't use it and then remind them that for sanitary reason I don't allow for them to be used here. Eventually the parents get it once they see their child is fine without it....
momma2girls 06:52 PM 08-21-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I also have the no toys from home policy but allow a special lovey/blankie for nap time. Its kept in their bag until nap time and put away right after. I have kids who are 100% attached to these items at home (and the parents are to blame more than the kids for their dependency) but the minute they come in my house they put it away and after nap they hand it right to me.

I would explain that it is for the safety of all children - reverse the situation as if it was another child, I often find that works. If you are comfortable with the idea, allow it just for nap time.
I have the same thing, that I have in my contract. One Mom was upset when I took the paci and lovie away at 18 months, only at naptime. When he was at home he still has it in all the time 24/7 and he is 2 1/2 now!! He hardly says 10-15 words as well!!!! Very delayed!!
brookeroo 08:46 PM 08-21-2012
This has been driving me bonkers. I've been considering changing my policies on this. But also wanted to know...

Do any of you have problems with parents bringing drinks with their kids? These kids literally seem to have fluids constantly for some reason.

I never really let my own kids drink in the car. They get a drink before they leave or when we arrive but for some reason these people think their kids are going to die of thirst in the 15 minute drive here... So much so that they have to walk in with a full cup almost every single solitary morning. 3 of my 5 children do and 2 of my children are infants! And then they get all uptight when I forget to bring it to them each night and they get mixed up with mine....and since they look the same it's hard to keep track of who's is who's or if they left it or took it.

I'm sure it will tick them off if and when I cut this off.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:20 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by brookeroo:
This has been driving me bonkers. I've been considering changing my policies on this. But also wanted to know...

Do any of you have problems with parents bringing drinks with their kids? These kids literally seem to have fluids constantly for some reason.

I never really let my own kids drink in the car. They get a drink before they leave or when we arrive but for some reason these people think their kids are going to die of thirst in the 15 minute drive here... So much so that they have to walk in with a full cup almost every single solitary morning. 3 of my 5 children do and 2 of my children are infants! And then they get all uptight when I forget to bring it to them each night and they get mixed up with mine....and since they look the same it's hard to keep track of who's is who's or if they left it or took it.

I'm sure it will tick them off if and when I cut this off.
All cups/ bottles from home must be labeled with the child's name. Keep a sharpie and a roll of tape by door. They go immediately to the table (rule drinks only at the table). If they contain milk or water the kido may get it. Anything else gets dumped as soon as the kidlet is distracted. Cup goes dirty once it is emptied (dumped or drank), into their bag. If you really want to discourage bringing cups plop them full back into the bags and just oh, you know I serve milk with all meals and you child wants one of my cups with all of his friends. Or he really doesn't want to drink his cup from home once he is here. Maybe we could try going without bringing one and see how he does? or Could I get you to put water in the cup instead of XYZ so that he wants his breakfast when he gets here... and then you won't have a gross cup to wash when you get home.
I would try one of those
daycarediva 04:31 AM 08-22-2012
I have a no toys from home policy, but blankets/lovies for nap are fine. My own son is 4 and still has his blankie at bedtime. I think it's just part of the territory when caring for kids. They like their special little objects. This is also why I have a shoe box for each kid to contain his 'treasures'. Rocks, little sticks, the top of an acorn, a pinecone, etc. are in one kid's box. He LOVES looking at his treasures and appreciates that I care about his 'things'.
SunshineMama 06:35 AM 08-22-2012
I need to add a no toys from home policy. Every day I have 2 siblings who bring toys and then hoard them at the door during drop off and scream and cry "my toy!" This leads to hitting and pushing sometimes and it is so irritating. The toys always cause an issue. As soon as the parent leaves I put it away in their bag and the rest of the day is fine.
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 08-22-2012
I haven't had issues for a while but when it was a problem at it's peak I adopted what I refer to as the "Hotel California" rule.

Toys can check in but they can never leave......solved the problem immediately
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:07 AM 08-22-2012
I don't allow them either. Yet, they still come. They stay in the cubbies but other children do occasionally attempt to take them and place them in their own cubbies. I stop it as much as I can, but there's only so much I can do. If it it Show & Tell Day I ensure that each toy goes home with the original owner.
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:08 AM 08-22-2012
I haven't had issues for a while but when it was a problem at it's peak I adopted what I refer to as the "Hotel California" rule.

How did you let the parents know about this rule? Seems like a good one. I'm getting tired of children bringing 2-3 toys per day.
Blackcat31 10:36 AM 08-22-2012
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
How did you let the parents know about this rule? Seems like a good one. I'm getting tired of children bringing 2-3 toys per day.
I just told them that the toys from home were becoming a huge issue and from now on I dont want anyone bringing anything from home anymore. Of course I got a couple mom's who played the whole "Well, it was the only way to get them out of the house this morning..." card and so I said, "Well from now on, any toy brought from home will be considered a donation to me and it will not be going home with them at the end of the day."

Almost ALL parents started following the new rule except one.

Her DS brought a toy and DCM immediately tells me that he doesn't believe me and still wanted to bring it. (and SHE lets him )

Mom whispered "You can just sneak it to me at the end of the day so he won't see."

I said, "No, I meant it. You let him bring it and I am keeping it." and I did.

I haven't had a single issue since then.
cheerfuldom 11:27 AM 08-22-2012
I have one that is real bad about the sippies from home.....5 to 6 filled sippies a day! I know they offer milk anytime she is crying or whatever and I guess they think I will need to resort to that too. I just put all the cups in her bag and we only have cups out for meals and snack times.....never wandering around with cups. Its really only the one parent that is bad about the sippy cup thing so I just deal with it rather than trying to set up a rule that really is only a small annoyance with one family.
Heidi 11:29 AM 08-22-2012

very clever....
EntropyControlSpecialist 02:24 PM 08-22-2012
I just added the hotel california rule to my handbook.
Tags:toys from home
Reply Up