Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Of You With Teacher's Kids...
Lilbutterflie 06:50 AM 08-27-2012
What are your teacher's kids typical hours?

I have a new DCG that started last week; and mom is a teacher. Her hours seem long for a teacher! She told me her hours are 7:45-4:45. So, new DCG is here for 10 hours each day. Sometimes her dad picks her up earlier depending on his hours, but most of the time it's mom that does drop off & pick up. Then this morning, she dropped DCG off 15 min early without notification. I answered the door saying "Wow, you are EARLY!" She then said, "Yeah, it will be this way all week. I have to drop off my son at his school, too." Not asking, but telling me. They seem like such a nice family in every other way, and gave off absolutely NO red flags during their interview, or last week! AND of course, she forgot the check due this morning as well. She at least acknowledged it and stated she would bring this afternoon. I hope this is not a sign of things to come!!
Blackcat31 07:01 AM 08-27-2012
I have 4 teachers and a school pyschologist.

They are employed in 3 different school districts and ALL of them are done at 3:00 when school is out with the exception of the school pyschologist, she is done at 3:30 so she gets here about 3:45.

My teachers are Art, Music, Social Studies, English and School Pyschologist.

They all drop off between 7:45 and 8:45. (my music teacher doesn't have class til 9:00 so she is my later drop off.)

I guess I am not familiar with how schools do things where you are, but I have never had a teacher in all my years need care past 3:30-3:45 ever.
Lilbutterflie 07:09 AM 08-27-2012
I know schools around here have the teachers help out before and after school- they help in the car lines (pickup and dropoff), they help with the bus lines, the walkers, etc... But other teachers I know usually start at 7:15 - 7:45am & get off work around 4pm at the latest. Also, she is an art teacher. I'm tempted to call the school at 4:15pm asking to speak to her. Something tells me they will say she has already gone for the day.
seebachers 07:12 AM 08-27-2012
yep....both my teachers pick up at 4:30 and 4:45 respectively...........drop off is 7:45 a.m.
BBDC 07:18 AM 08-27-2012
my teachers parents drop off 730-745 & pick up 430-445! alot of teachers have things to do after school! school isnt done until 310 here & then they have to pick up classroom maybe work on lesson plan for next day,ect. just like when we are done with kids we still have stuff to do!
Country Kids 07:27 AM 08-27-2012
Our teachers here are required to be at the school from 8:00-4:00. That is the contracted times.

Other teachers in our area that teach at different districts-hours are 7:00-4:45. School is 7:45-3:45 with Fridays off or a 1/2 day on Friday.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 07:45 AM 08-27-2012
7:15- 4:30
Sunchimes 07:47 AM 08-27-2012
When I taught, I was always there at least a half hour before school, sometimes 45 minutes. When I had bus duty, it was an hour because with so many rural routes, some kids were there an hour early.

Some mornings I used the time to give kids extra help, and since they rode early buses, mornings were the only chance. Sometimes, I met with parents before school. In the afternoons, we had detention hall duty, tutorials, parent meetings, bus duty, basketball games. Depending on the duty rotation and time of year, 7:30-5 was more the norm than school kids hours.

I can't even imagine keeping the same hours the kids have.
Crazy8 09:39 AM 08-27-2012
all our schools have different times here (for bussing purposes) so the hours vary. Our elementary school is one of the later ones in our district, kids go 8:45 - 3:15 so any teachers from there I've had usually contract 8-4.

Does this dc mom have far to drive? If she is dropping her son at another school is that farther away? Is she then picking him up after school? All those things could lead to a 9 hour day (7:45-4:45 is 9 hours, not 10). I agree she should ASK you, not tell you though and you need to let her know any changes to the hours needs to be approved ahead of time (assuming you run on contracted hours).
MissAnn 09:55 AM 08-27-2012
I had one who got off at 2:15 and didn't pickup till 4:30. Her son was the most high maintenance and I eventually termed him after hurting a kid. She was going to Walmart or doing errands. I am only open 10 hours so I let it go....but it it really made me mad when I asked if parents could pick up early on a Friday because My DH and I were going out of town for our 30th anniversary....I called her at 4 and asked where she was.....Walmart.
Lilbutterflie 10:01 AM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
Does this dc mom have far to drive? If she is dropping her son at another school is that farther away? Is she then picking him up after school? All those things could lead to a 9 hour day (7:45-4:45 is 9 hours, not 10). I agree she should ASK you, not tell you though and you need to let her know any changes to the hours needs to be approved ahead of time (assuming you run on contracted hours).
Her commute is probably 30 min each way. In no traffic it would take 20 min to get to her school, but I would say 30 min max. She is supposed to drop off at 7:15 (this week, 7:00) to get to work by 7:45, gets off work at 4:45 & picks up at 5:15pm. I just can't imagine an art teacher having a 9 hour work day, but perhaps it is possible!
DCMama 10:12 AM 08-27-2012
I think it depend on what kind of teacher she is. I remember my high school teachers don't get off until 3:45 because of two different bell schedules. However, my elementary teacher would get off by 2:30 unless they have other after school duty. As for the drop off and telling you how it will be. I think you should really tell them that it be polite if they would ask you in advance instead of telling you the day of so you can prepare better. Some parents are just so entitled
momofsix 10:16 AM 08-27-2012
One picks up fight after classes are over, she's a pe teacher-usually by 3:30, another does the same-a little closer to four. My other teacher stays after and works-their sa child goes to the afterschool program (he goes to dad's school)and they p/u around 5:15. Sometimes the late p/u bugs me-but they pay by the day and are dropped off later than the others so their actual hours are about the same.
EchoMom 10:19 AM 08-27-2012
When I was teaching I was under contract to be there 7-4. I could not leave earlier than 4pm. And I usually left later than that either because I had to pick up my room, grade papers, talk to co-workers, staff meeting, etc.

Is your DCM a FIRST YEAR teacher or something else quite new to teaching? If so that could explain alot. New teachers typically end up working MUCH longer than a veteran teacher.

I have a DCD that is a middle school math teacher and the kids are here until 5:45 if I let them!!!! Absolutely too late! The dad just needs to take his work home with him or become a better multi-tasker.

OP the hours 7:45-4:45 seem quite reasonable to me depending on when school lets out for kids, the teacher could be there much later after the bell. Maybe she wants to get all her work done at work so that when she gets home she is able to focus exclusively on Mommy time!
SquirrellyMama 10:26 AM 08-27-2012
I had a teacher's child when I first did daycare and they didn't pick up until 5pm. I'm not sure you can assume they will be an early pick up.

The dropping off 15 minutes early would aggravate me if they didn't talk to me first.

Kelly
Lilbutterflie 04:26 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
When I was teaching I was under contract to be there 7-4. I could not leave earlier than 4pm. And I usually left later than that either because I had to pick up my room, grade papers, talk to co-workers, staff meeting, etc.

Is your DCM a FIRST YEAR teacher or something else quite new to teaching? If so that could explain alot. New teachers typically end up working MUCH longer than a veteran teacher.

I have a DCD that is a middle school math teacher and the kids are here until 5:45 if I let them!!!! Absolutely too late! The dad just needs to take his work home with him or become a better multi-tasker.

OP the hours 7:45-4:45 seem quite reasonable to me depending on when school lets out for kids, the teacher could be there much later after the bell. Maybe she wants to get all her work done at work so that when she gets home she is able to focus exclusively on Mommy time!
She teaches middle school art. She is a veteran, definitely not first year. She did pick up a little earlier today, 5pm instead of 5:15pm. But then again, she dropped off at 7 instead of 7:15! I discussed with her that a 7am drop off is not going to work for me because at that time I'm trying to get my DD on the bus to school. She did say that she was TOO early today (I think she was making sure she had enough time to drop her son off at school and get to work); and she would be coming at 7:15 from now on.

Thanks for all your input ladies!
saved4always 05:09 PM 08-27-2012
The last few years I did childcare in my home, I only watched teachers' children because the hours were better and I got to be off when there was no school. The latest I had one of my teacher clients pick up was at 4:15 a few years ago. The earliest drop off was at 6:40 (this one picked up by 3:10). The hours depended on where the school was located in relation to my home and also what grade they taught. The early drop off one was at a middle school which started very early in the morning. I had a teacher call me last year looking for care but she did not get off work until 4 p.m. and would not be able to pick up until 4:30. By that point, I was not taking anyone who would pick up after 4 p.m. so I did not even interview with that family.
lovemykidstoo 05:11 PM 08-27-2012
Sometimes the first weeks with a new family can be challenging. Your situation really just needs some tweeking by the sounds of it. Do you have certain hours or does it depend on what kids you have? I am open from 7:30 - 5:30. So, it doesn't really matter what time they come and go. I absolutely will not work past 5:30 as I have 2 kids of my own, but if it is requested ahead of time I will let someone come early in a special circumstance, but not all the time. I have 2 people that are teachers. The one teaches until 2:30 and comes at 4:00 for pickup and the other one I'm not sure what time she's done working, but she comes at 4:30, but has a 1/2 hour drive from her school. When she came 15 minutes early, was it before your opening hour? Maybe if it bothers you if she runs errands before pickup you should charge so much per day for say 9 hours but extra for past 9 hours. I charge per day for 10 hours and some use the full 10 hours and others only use 7 hours. It all equals out. The forgetting the check is something to watch, but if she brought it the same day I would say no foul.
saved4always 05:18 PM 08-27-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
all our schools have different times here (for bussing purposes) so the hours vary. Our elementary school is one of the later ones in our district, kids go 8:45 - 3:15 so any teachers from there I've had usually contract 8-4.

Our schools in our city also have different times like that, too, because of the busses...Middle School starts very early and gets out at 2:30 if I remember correctly. High shool does not have buses and starts at 7:30 and gets out at 2:30, too. Elementary schools start at 8:30 and get out at 3:05. The afternoon kindergarten gets off later at 3:35 and first grade is 8:50 to 3:20.
jojosmommy 07:20 PM 08-27-2012
Our elementary schools run from 9-3:30. I know when I worked as a teacher we had a minimum of 30 min before and after last contact that we had to stay at school. That did not include any staff or district meetings, IEP meetings/phone calls, check ins with parents or special ed teachers/coordinators, prep meetings, curriculum meetings, or emergency stuff that comes up. I reported by 7:45 everyday (and often felt rushed) and would be lucky to be on the way home by 5.

Also, most districts are pretty political. Often teachers are "expected but not required" to be part of this or that committe, or help out with after school care or.... you get the point..... Go home early, get passed over for a new school, new assignement, district development $.....

I think its a misnomer that teachers work less hours/luxury hours. Every teacher I have had here has has similar or longer hours and takes work home to do later.
DaisyMamma 03:51 AM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
What are your teacher's kids typical hours?

I have a new DCG that started last week; and mom is a teacher. Her hours seem long for a teacher! She told me her hours are 7:45-4:45. So, new DCG is here for 10 hours each day. Sometimes her dad picks her up earlier depending on his hours, but most of the time it's mom that does drop off & pick up. Then this morning, she dropped DCG off 15 min early without notification. I answered the door saying "Wow, you are EARLY!" She then said, "Yeah, it will be this way all week. I have to drop off my son at his school, too." Not asking, but telling me. They seem like such a nice family in every other way, and gave off absolutely NO red flags during their interview, or last week! AND of course, she forgot the check due this morning as well. She at least acknowledged it and stated she would bring this afternoon. I hope this is not a sign of things to come!!
In regards to the early drop off, I would be ticked, especially if they are the first drop off. Does your contract say anything about early drop offs? I added this into my last contract revision, it comes right after late fees : "Early fees will never be charged as I do not allow for early drop off. If your contracted drop off time is 8:30am you are expected to drop your child off no earlier than 8:30am. Please do not arrive at the daycare before drop off time unless previous arrangements have been approved (at least 24 hrs)."

After forgetting the check I would have kindly reminded her that there is a fee for paying late.
In regards to hours, teachers here are done at 3:10. I do not have any teacher's kids in my care, but I would expect them to leave by 3:45 with a 7:45 drop off. Many teachers do stay after school to work on lesson plans, correct papers, etc.
AnneCordelia 04:44 AM 08-28-2012
My teacher families drop off between 7:15-7:45 and pick up between 3:45-4:15.

I find it hard to fathom a teacher who can't leave until 4:45?? I wonder why?
lovemykidstoo 05:25 AM 08-28-2012
A teacher probably isn't working until 4:45, probably running errands. That's why I wondered how the OP worked her hours. Do people pay by the day and if so is it for certain amount of hours or the hours that she opens and closes. Like I said before, I charge $35 a day for anything between 7:30 - 5:30. Just curious how OP did it.
PolkaTots 06:24 AM 08-28-2012
I have watched several teachers children in the 5 years I have been providing daycare. One set came at 6:45-4, the other was 7:30-4:30. I will not watch teachers children after this next set leave. Been burned by too many for Summer Vacation. I make them pay 2 days per week to hold their spot, and their child can attend or not. I have had a couple quit right before then to get out of paying it, but the worst was a teacher who was pregnant and I already watched her 2 year old. I was told I would be watching the Infant and 2 year old once she had the baby in April, but then she decided to not return to work until Fall, and wanted to pull the 2 year old in April and start them back both in September. I told her I was absolutely unwilling to hold spots with no payment for that long, and filled them right after she left.
momma2girls 07:29 AM 08-28-2012
7:30-4:30 here also
texascare 09:44 AM 08-28-2012
I have an Art teacher and she has to be at work at 7:00 and gets off at 4:30-4:45. The child doesn't get here until later though because of dads schedule other wise i wouldn't be able to take him because I don't open till 7:30.
DBug 10:21 AM 08-28-2012
I did my B.Ed and all of the teachers I worked with had LOOONG hours. 7 to 5 usually, sometimes 8 to 5. They got one 15 minute break either in the am or pm, and 15 minutes to eat lunch. Other than that if they weren't actually teaching, they were on lunchroom duty, yard duty, intramural duty, etc., etc. They were also expected to coach at least one sport on their own time, do fundraisers, take turns attending School Council meetings, and of course, attend Staff Meetings, do training through the summer on their own dime. And of course, they were always taking work home with them after 5pm.

I decided NOT to go into teaching because it was too much work!

Maybe it's different in the States, but here in Ontario our teachers are way over-worked and under-paid, and their hours can be ridiculous. I would be hesitant to take a full-time teacher for that reason (unless they had reliable overtime care).

So no, I don't think those hours are long just because the parent is a teacher. Showing up early is a no-go here, but the parent's job wouldn't change the way I deal with it. JMO.
E Daycare 05:24 AM 08-30-2012
My teachers kids have new schedules this year due to moms changes in schedules/new schools.

Last year was like this

1st dck: dropped off at 7:30 picked up at 4:30(3xwk)
2nd dck: dropped off at 8-8:30 picked up 4:30-5(3xwk)
3&4th dcks: (non teachers kids) schedules all over the darn place. (2-3xwk)

This year:
1st dck: dropped off at 7:15 picked up 5-5:15 (every day all day now)
2nd dck: supposed to be dropped off at 7:15 (pfftt yeah ok I wish but I sent out new contracts with a more expensive late fee that includes being late in the am.) and picked up around 4-4:30 (2x week now which was a surprise to me and im NOT VERY HAPPY)
3&4 dcks: (non teachers kids) 3rd is in school now and 4th is here 1x week.

I loved my teachers kids schedules LAST year. This is is all screwy and I'm like well crap now I need to advertise again and move some people out the door.

Summers are pretty freakin awesome tho!
Reply Up