Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting For A No Show???
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:09 AM 09-22-2012
So here I am, having to fill spots again!!

I had an interview schedualed for 11am this morning, and it's ten after and no one has showed up yet.

So my question is how long do you wait for them to show up before you stop waiting and go about the rest of your day?
cheerfuldom 10:55 AM 09-22-2012
Did they ever show?

I wait 15 minutes and then do whatever. I will stay at the house for up to 30 minutes but after that, I consider the appt. cancelled. Unless there is a great reason and sincere apology, I dont reschedule either.
BABYLUVER 11:07 AM 09-22-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
So here I am, having to fill spots again!!

I had an interview schedualed for 11am this morning, and it's ten after and no one has showed up yet.

So my question is how long do you wait for them to show up before you stop waiting and go about the rest of your day?
No more than 15 minutes without a phone call. If they can't be bothered with me, then they don't need care that bad.
DCMama 11:17 AM 09-22-2012
15 minute and then I start getting really piss and feel like I am stood up. However, there was one time where the family didn't show until 30 minute later because she couldn't find the place and newly came from china. Other then that it's most likely a no show. so frustrating
mrsp'slilpeeps 07:42 AM 09-25-2012
No, she didnt show. No phone call either. People can be so dang rude sometimes.
MommyD 09:57 AM 09-25-2012
I hate the feeling that they will just show up later unexpectedly. I have done all the prep work, rearranged schedules, etc. so I call them. Once no one answered and then I was done with them. The only other time it happened, there had been a mis-communication on the time. I ended up enrolling that family and have had them happily for 2 years with no issues.
canadiancare 02:23 PM 09-25-2012
I never take an initial interview during daycare hours. I always do it on the weekend or evening and just plan to be home. If things go well and we are both interested then we have a visit with the kids present. That way there are no issues of people monopolising your time when you need to watch the paid children in your care and also if they end up being flakes you don't have a situation where you are uncomfortable with the kids around.
momma2girls 02:39 PM 09-25-2012
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I never take an initial interview during daycare hours. I always do it on the weekend or evening and just plan to be home. If things go well and we are both interested then we have a visit with the kids present. That way there are no issues of people monopolising your time when you need to watch the paid children in your care and also if they end up being flakes you don't have a situation where you are uncomfortable with the kids around.
I would never interview anyone during daycare hrs. My earliest is 5:30 in the evening or on the weekends.
Texasjeepgirl 06:13 PM 09-25-2012
I absolutely love reading this forum to see all the different view points.. opinions... business practices.... policies.. etc..

Personally... I NEVER... EVER... EVER do interviews after closing time or weekends... did I say NEVER...?
I seriously mean.. not ever..
lol...

I have a website...with pictures... an ABOUT ME page.. my PARENT HANDBOOK...
When a potential client calls.. I RARELY answer...I let it go to voice mail... (hey.. I'm busy taking care of kids...)...
I call them back at naptime...
speak to them ONLY briefly...THEN direct them to my website..
I tell them that after they have read the PARENT HANDBOOK... they can contact me by email (preferrably...) or call back..

Fortunately.. for the past 3 years..I've had a daycare mom that works for me 1 day a week (Wednesday).. on her day off from her full time job...
So if at all possible I always schedule a tour of the daycare and parent meeting...on Wednesday when she is working for me.. so that I can focus on the client.. and she can focus on the kids...
BUT.. if that won't work with the schedule of potential client..
Then... I allow them to visit in the morning.. shortly after breakfast.. OR.. in the afternoon after naptime.. specifically at snack time since the kids are sitting down.. eating...
I am very clear that the visit will be a short tour of the daycare...
It's 1 room...
This gives them a chance to see me in person and say hello..
But I make it clear that it is 10-15 minutes max.. ...anything more is HIGHLY disruptive to my group and our day...
( you know how kids will act wild when they have an audience)..
As soon as I've shown them around.. and answered a few very brief questions.. I basically shove them out the door with the instruction that they can let me know if they need further information.. or ask any other questions before making their final decision.
I strongly encourage them to check out as many child cares in our area as possible.. (mainly because there aren't very many good one's)..
I want them to be sure that my child care meets their needs.. and I want them to see for themselves...so they understand FULLY how limited the quality child care options are in our town..
I also encourage them to email me with ANY and all questions and concerns about the care of their child.. and I email a reference list.. with past and current clients... (with those parents permission...) .. . but I stuff them out the door quickly...

Why do I NOT interview after hours?
I've been doing this for 20 years...
I wake up at 5 a.m each day (because I like to be awake awhile.. drink my coffee.. do a few things outside.. or whatever.. before first children arrive)..
I open at 7 a.m... and I close at 5:30..
and frankly. .. I work my tail feathers off every day...
I have NO DESIRE to carry over my work into my evening... or my weekend...
I already HAVE to do that when I do training classes...on weeknight evenings or Saturday....

BUT..
That is JUST ME...

www.tammyschildcare.com

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

canadiancare 06:51 AM 09-26-2012
For me it amounts to less than 2 interviews a year over the past 21 years. I do initial correspondence by sending my policies and procedures and answering questions via email. If we want to proceed with a meeting after this phase, we schedule it with the expectation that it is to iron out details and just make sure that we are a good fit. It isn't a waste of my time because I need to be able to concentrate on that family and their child without distractions as, if everything works out we are making a relationship that will last for the next 3 years until they start school. I am at capacity until September 2015 so there won't be any interviews for a while.
rhymia1 07:09 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
I absolutely love reading this forum to see all the different view points.. opinions... business practices.... policies.. etc..

Personally... I NEVER... EVER... EVER do interviews after closing time or weekends... did I say NEVER...?
lol...

I have a website...with pictures... an ABOUT ME page.. my PARENT HANDBOOK...
When a potential client calls.. I RARELY answer...I let it go to voice mail... (hey.. I'm busy taking care of kids...)...
I call them back at naptime...
speak to them ONLY briefly...THEN direct them to my website..
I tell them that after they have read the PARENT HANDBOOK... they can contact me by email (preferrably...) or call back..

Fortunately.. for the past 3 years..I've had a daycare mom that works for me 1 day a week (Wednesday).. on her day off from her full time job...
So if at all possible I always schedule a tour of the daycare and parent meeting...on Wednesday when she is working for me.. so that I can focus on the client.. and she can focus on the kids...
BUT.. if that won't work with the schedule of potential client..
Then... I allow them to visit in the morning.. shortly after breakfast.. OR.. in the afternoon after naptime.. specifically at snack time since the kids are sitting down.. eating...
I am very clear that the visit will be a short tour of the daycare...
It's 1 room...
This gives them a chance to see me in person and say hello..
But I make it clear that it is 10-15 minutes max.. ...anything more is HIGHLY disruptive to my group and our day...
( you know how kids will act wild when they have an audience)..
As soon as I've shown them around.. and answered a few very brief questions.. I basically shove them out the door with the instruction that they can let me know if they need further information.. or ask any other questions before making their final decision.
I strongly encourage them to check out as many child cares in our area as possible.. (mainly because there aren't very many good one's)..
I want them to be sure that my child care meets their needs.. and I want them to see for themselves...so they understand FULLY how limited the quality child care options are in our town..
I also encourage them to email me with ANY and all questions and concerns about the care of their child.. and I email a reference list.. with past and current clients... (with those parents permission...) .. . but I stuff them out the door quickly...

I wake up at 5 a.m each day (because I like to be awake awhile.. drink my coffee.. do a few things outside.. or whatever.. before first children arrive)..
I already HAVE to do that when I do training classes...on weeknight evenings or Saturday....

BUT..
That is JUST ME...

www.tammyschildcare.com

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

This is how and why I do it this way as well. I've tried doing off hours but my personal time is busy, I can't wait around for someone to show. At least when I'm working I know I have to be here I also find that people seeing my kids in action sell my business better than anything I say.
I've never had no call/no shows though.
Blackcat31 07:17 AM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl:
lol...

These were my thoughts while reading these posts/replies too!

I NEVER do anything daycare related outside of daycare hours with the exception of shopping for supplies and training classes/courses.
Reply Up