Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sick Days
mbullette 07:32 AM 01-11-2013
I have never given sick days to any of my families. I didnt charge them for the day's they were not here. I felt why charge when I am not watching their child. Some of my families have recently taken advantage of this and I had one family not show up or call for over 2 weeks. Mom had vacation days left and decided she didnt need to let me know. Family was terminated and I learned my lesson. How many sick days do you normally give your full and part time families? I have not been strict with my families as this is very hard for me to do. I have learned a lot and have nobody to blame but myself.

Thanks!!!
bunnyslippers 07:36 AM 01-11-2013
I do not give any free sick days. If I am open, payment is required, regardless of attendance. I also take up to 5 paid personal/sick days per year, when I am closed but payment is still required.

I think you need to change your policy, effective immediately. I appreciate why you would want to give them a break if they don't come, but you have bills and expenses. How can you budget if you don't know when or if you will get paid? Good luck, be strong, you can do it!
mbullette 07:46 AM 01-11-2013
It's so hard for me to be strict but I am learning a lot. My husband is going to school full time and working full time but lately his hours have been cut. I need to make up the difference when he is not working. I need to change my policies and raise my rates or I am going to have to look for a job outside the home. Out of the 6 families I have, I can only count on 1 family being here weekly. The rest will call 1-2 days a week and say they are not coming so I need to change that. I know one family is going to be upset and will probably leave but I am to the point where I dont care. I just need a kick in the butt and I need to learn how to be strict with them.
Blackcat31 08:04 AM 01-11-2013
I give my families who attend 5 days per week, 8 free days per year.

I give my families who attend 4 days per week, 6 free days per year.

They can ONLY use these days IF they let me know in advance. They can't just not show up and assume they aren't going otbe charged. They have to let me know a minimum of 1 hour before their scheduled drop off time.

I also have a sheet that has a place for them to sign and date when they use one of these free days. I don't want anyone coming back later and assuming they have more or less days left than they really do.

Families who attend 3 or less days per week do not receive any free days and pay the same rate all year long.
Mom&Provider 08:38 AM 01-11-2013
I allow for 5 days for F/T spots and 3 days for P/T spots.

It works for me and it does seem to help in encouraging families to keep sick kids home. I also don't require payment if I should close for my own illness or an emergency.
Hazel 08:57 AM 01-11-2013
I don't give any! If I am here and it's your scheduled day? You pay.. Here or not. I do not give vacation time either. I used to, but then 2 years in a row I had all the families take their vacations so close to each other that it caused my family financial hardship so I decided to Change the policy for new incoming families.
All of my holidays are also paid. If I take a sick or personal day, or I go away on vacation, I do not charge.
My theory is that all of my holidays are the common ones where most people will have off... And if they don't, someone in the family (the other parent, Aunt, uncle, cousin, grandparent ect) probably will.
But when I take sick/personal/vacation time, they will probably have to pay for alternative care, and I don't want my DCFs to have to pay twice.
If you REALLY want to give them sick days, maybe one day for each scheduled day?
5 scheduled days = 5 sick days
4 scheduled days = 4 sick days
Ect.
MamaBearCanada 09:35 AM 01-11-2013
I charge for their spot not their attendance. I you book a h
Reply Up