Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Be Offended?
sugar buzz 07:06 PM 10-20-2014
I need some perspective. I just had an interview with a teacher and a state trooper and their six-week-old baby. (My first interview in five years.) Basically, I was just interrogated by a policeman for an hour. I was asked if my 12-year-old DD ever watched the kids. When I told him absolutely not, he kept rephrasing the question, "Let's say you had a really bad day...." He rephrased it three times. I was also asked why I didn't "go back to work" after my kids went to school. I said that I "work" fifty hours a week. (That one really struck a nerve.) Also, "Who comes through your house during the day?" "If a dck busts their head, what are you going to do with our baby, while you're helping the other kid?" Umm...is this a minor laceration or a near-decapitation scenario? Yell for my 12-year-old, of course. I dunno. I understand he's in that line of work, but I felt like a criminal the entire interview. All you recent interview experts, am I being too sensitive about this interview?
midaycare 07:20 PM 10-20-2014
I had an interview like this once. I was grilled for over an hour about every single procedure. They asked to see my emergency plans!

Dcd sounds like a tool. No offense to tools. I would pass on them if you can afford to. I did not take the family that grilled me because I don't want to be questioned 24/7 about everything I do.
racemom 08:17 PM 10-20-2014
I would be afraid every little bump and incident would be an interrogation. I would also pass if you can afford it, I understand parents being cautious, but Wow!
cheerfuldom 08:22 PM 10-20-2014
I would pass on this for sure. he is way too far into cop-mode to be a reasonable person to work for.
CraftyMom 08:43 PM 10-20-2014
I had a cop interview once. It was the shortest, yet most uncomfortable interview ever! Same thing with all the questions. He was just firing them out one after another. The child was 2, but mom never put her down, even when it was clear she wanted to see the other kids (this was early on, one of the few interviews I did during dc hours before realizing the kids were losing clients for me). The whole interview lasted maybe 15 minutes at the most, I'd say closer to 10 minutes. It was a very uncomfortable 10 minutes! I told my husband I felt like I was being interrogated in my own home! Yes I was offended

I didn't hear from them for at least a week even though they said they would call either way. I didn't want to take them on anyway.

Then one day mom calls and says she'd be dropping dcg off the next day I needed the spot filled (still naïve then) so I told her she'd have to fill out the papers first, she said she'd do it that morning.

They never showed
DaveA 03:56 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by sugar buzz:
I was also asked why I didn't "go back to work" after my kids went to school. I said that I "work" fifty hours a week. (That one really struck a nerve.)
The other questions are eye rollers, but that is the red flag for me that that family won't be a good fit for me. At best he doesn't care to understand what you do, at worst he thinks you're signing up to be their employee/ indentured servant. If you can, pass. And if they ask, tell them you don't think they understand how your program works and you choose how things are done in your program.
Shell 04:02 AM 10-21-2014
Pass. Dcd sounds condescending, regardless of the fact that he probably feels he is being thorough by interrogating you. Sounds like he has Zero respect for the profession, and will always be a problem parent.
Indoorvoice 04:04 AM 10-21-2014
They would also get a big fat PASS from me! Sorry he was such a jerk. You'll find someone else!
Unregistered 04:16 AM 10-21-2014
OP here--I'm just not logged in because I'm not on my phone. Thank you so much for your responses! I just let them know that I would not be able to provide care for them--dodged a bullet....probably literally!!!
sahm1225 04:48 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Pass. Dcd sounds condescending, regardless of the fact that he probably feels he is being thorough by interrogating you. Sounds like he has Zero respect for the profession, and will always be a problem parent.
Thi! He showed his true colors. Pass! Anyone that interrogates you and makes you uncomfortable does not even deserve consideration for the sppt! Good luck op
KidGrind 04:52 AM 10-21-2014
I need some perspective. I just had an interview with a teacher and a state trooper and their six-week-old baby. (My first interview in five years.) Basically, I was just interrogated by a policeman for an hour. I was asked if my 12-year-old DD ever watched the kids. When I told him absolutely not, he kept rephrasing the question, "Let's say you had a really bad day...." He rephrased it three times. I was also asked why I didn't "go back to work" after my kids went to school. I said that I "work" fifty hours a week. (That one really struck a nerve.) Also, "Who comes through your house during the day?" "If a dck busts their head, what are you going to do with our baby, while you're helping the other kid?" Umm...is this a minor laceration or a near-decapitation scenario? Yell for my 12-year-old, of course. I dunno. I understand he's in that line of work, but I felt like a criminal the entire interview. All you recent interview experts, am I being too sensitive about this interview?
I wouldn’t be offended. It is their child you would be potentially providing care for. I would have shared, Mr. Doe you’ve asked me the role of my 12 year old in my program. I’ve shared it. Do you have other questions unrelated to my 12 year old?
taylorw1210 05:00 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would pass on this for sure. he is way too far into cop-mode to be a reasonable person to work for.

Originally Posted by Shell:

I would definitely, definitely pass! And, I've been trying to set up an interview with a family where the dad is a cop - this makes me not want to follow through with the interview! (They've rescheduled on me 2x already and are super difficult to schedule with. )
LysesKids 05:13 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:

I would definitely, definitely pass! And, I've been trying to set up an interview with a family where the dad is a cop - this makes me not want to follow through with the interview! (They've rescheduled on me 2x already and are super difficult to schedule with. )
The rescheduling 2 times is a red flag already. I have a family in care where dad is private investigator, but he didn't switch to that job until 6 months after starting here even though he had the degree. My main problem with that family is the unpredictable scheduling... I understand some of it because I use to work a similar career for years before I started in childcare, and thankfully he doesn't interrogate me, his wife though... OMG, talk about being overprotective
taylorw1210 05:27 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
The rescheduling 2 times is a red flag already. I have a family in care where dad is private investigator, but he didn't switch to that job until 6 months after starting here even though he had the degree. My main problem with that family is the unpredictable scheduling... I understand some of it because I use to work a similar career for years before I started in childcare, and thankfully he doesn't interrogate me, his wife though... OMG, talk about being overprotective
Yea, I think this one is definitely just going to not happen...
Second Home 05:34 AM 10-21-2014
I expect some of these questions and will answer them once . The biggest thing would be the tone he used when asking the questions. I have been asked the same question over and iver and I respond with " as I already said " so the potential client knows I have already answered and the answer is still the same .
midaycare 05:39 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I wouldn’t be offended. It is their child you would be potentially providing care for. I would have shared, Mr. Doe you’ve asked me the role of my 12 year old in my program. I’ve shared it. Do you have other questions unrelated to my 12 year old?
I see the big problem as him not thinking she "works".
NeedaVaca 05:41 AM 10-21-2014
I think it's a good idea to have a lot of your own questions written down, turn the interview back towards them. Interviewing goes both ways and parents tend to forget they are also being interviewed.
midaycare 05:42 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I think it's a good idea to have a lot of your own questions written down, turn the interview back towards them. Interviewing goes both ways and parents tend to forget they are also being interviewed.
I do this. It works well
Solandia 05:46 AM 10-21-2014
Yeah...no.

My dh is a health & safety guy, he might check every fire extinguisher that he passes, and will ask about most common procedures & safety plans. But he wouldn't be in-your-face and looking for a "lie" or interrogating/rewording questions. That guy sound like a douche.

I am continually surprised that MORE parents do not ask about safety plans/emergency plans. Those are very important, and it is shocking how many caregivers have NONE, or don't even know their own plans well enough to explain them when asked. So a caregiver being hesitant over explaining this stuff is a red flag to dh.
Cat Herder 06:03 AM 10-21-2014
I would have laughed and gave him a thorough rundown of my written emergency plan outlines, complete with phone tree, transportation options and secondary location plan. He sounds like an algorithm kind of guy and I can respect that. One guess who is an algorithm kind of gal....

** My educated guess: He wants to hear baby will be up and safe from possible harm from every other human (other kids included) when not under >>your<< 100% active supervision until such time as baby can defend him/herself and report back to papa.

IMHO, He wants to know why you did not go back to your old career to predict if you will or won't leave them hanging when another job option comes in. Algorithm people want to form their own family algorithm, unscheduled change from any source is not welcomed. .

If this was a 4 year old I would probably have a different response..
KidGrind 06:34 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
We come from different perspectives. As long as I get paid, what they think on their dime is their business.

I offered the OP an example of how I handle a DCP asking the same question over and over.
sugar buzz 06:53 AM 10-21-2014
I've gotten three angry texts from them so far this morning. I just feel sick. He lives in our neighborhood and was referred by a man my husband works with.
Unregistered 07:02 AM 10-21-2014
He is angry because he failed the interview? Maybe he was not aware the interview went both ways? An email requiring no further contact may be needed.
CraftyMom 07:03 AM 10-21-2014
I've gotten three angry texts from them so far this morning. I just feel sick. He lives in our neighborhood and was referred by a man my husband works with.
Had they stated if they were interested in the spot? What did you say to them?

I think you definitely dodged a bullet
Unregistered 07:05 AM 10-21-2014
I'd keep a record of all texts and emails too. Gut feeling is he may attempt to stir up trouble, as I suspect he is used to getting his own way.
Blackcat31 07:05 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
We come from different perspectives. As long as I get paid, what they think on their dime is their business.

I offered the OP an example of how I handle a DCP asking the same question over and over.
I agree...

I don't care what they call me or what they think I do or don't do as far as a profession or career... As long as they pay me on time and respect my policies.

Why are they angry?

Because they wanted to come to your program and you said no?
TheGoodLife 07:05 AM 10-21-2014
What are the angry texts about? Is he mad you didn't accept them? I'd respond once saying, "I'm sorry, I do not feel we are a good fit and I wish you the best in your child care search. Please refrain from contacting me again."

What a jerk!
Cat Herder 07:13 AM 10-21-2014
Why? What is he upset about?
midaycare 07:14 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree...

I don't care what they call me or what they think I do or don't do as far as a profession or career... As long as they pay me on time and respect my policies.
That's a deal breaker for me. I don't care what they call me, but not thinking what I do is an actual "job" or "work"? That's just disrespect and signs of bad things to come.

But to each their own! I like working with parents I get along with. Call me picky
KiddieCahoots 07:29 AM 10-21-2014
That's a deal breaker for me. I don't care what they call me, but not thinking what I do is an actual "job" or "work"? That's just disrespect and signs of bad things to come.

But to each their own! I like working with parents I get along with. Call me picky
I agree.....
For a working relationship to start off on the right foot, feel respect has to be a part of it, not just respect for $
Happily_wed 07:31 AM 10-21-2014
I provide care for a cop and his family and have for 4 years and three kids now. He is by far the best daycare parent I have ever had! I was very nervous at first that he would be on my case about every little bump, etc. but he is very laid back, always thanking me for all that I do, etc.

I would be a little upset that they are now sending angry texts because you refused to take them on. You have to go with your instinct and do what you feel is right for your program.

I am going to throw this out just because I do have some experience with this. Remember that being a police officer is a hard job. They see the worst of and in people. They are on scene of child abuse, murders of children, sexual abuse of children, car accidents where children die, etc. Then they go home and look at their kids and thank God that they are ok. Daycare dad had to attend a training a few months back about child abuse. They showed some horrible slides, etc and it affected him. Before he even got home he sent me a message thanking me for all I do for his family and for always taking care of his kids.

Grilling someone in a mean way is not right. BUT maybe, just maybe he has been the responding officer where a small child was hurt or died due to being left in the care of a 12 year old. Maybe as a police officer he knows the importance of having an emergency plan and being able to get out of a fire or handle an emergency at the drop of a hat because he responded to a house fire where a child died due to no smoke detectors. I don't agree with him being abusive in his tone with you, etc but that is possibly the reason that he asks so many questions and seems to want reassurance of so many things.

I would not have been offended by the questions themselves. I am more put off when I get a parent who doesn't want to know anything or even come by my house before dropping the kids off for their first day. BUT his tone and just the general vibe you got from him would have probably put me off and made me turn them down.
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 10-21-2014

Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I agree.....
For a working relationship to start off on the right foot, feel respect has to be a part of it, not just respect for $
Meh... what difference does it make?

I mean I don't necessarily have to respect a profession in order for me to be respectful.

The parent is purchasing my services. I have no right to dictate how they feel about the profession.... or whether or not they think it is a profession or not.

I have issues with a couple of my parent's professions but we can still have a productive and respectful relationship.

For example, I have a parent that works in a field that I do NOT believe in, support or think is a necessary profession in this world but that in NO WAY alters my role and what this parent is purchasing from me as a service provider.

I would never allow my personal feelings to affect the services I offer/sell.

There are several kinds of "get along with" as far as definitions go .
I can get along with most people pretty easily but it doesn't mean I agree with their thoughts and feelings or view the world in the same way they do.

In order for me to have a good working relationship with a client, all that I require is CLEAR communication about our expectations from each other and for each of us to fulfill those agreed upon expectations.

I am not in this field to educate clients about my "work" or to garner any type of respect from them about what I do.
I am in this business to make money and make a difference in a child's life.

My definition of respect via a parent is them abiding by the agreed upon policies and rules.

Call me a babysitter, child minder, child care provider, daycare lady, teacher, etc....I don't care.

I am far more concerned about a parent's child rearing philosophy than their opinions about professions.
I like to work with clients that share the same views as I do in regards to raising a child verses their views on careers.

I am far MORE picky about that aspect than anything else.
Play Care 09:14 AM 10-21-2014
Exactly! Call me a babysitter, day care lady, teacher, whatever.
But telling someone that what they do ISN'T working is a whole different ball game, IMO.
Clearly the OP dodged a bullet here!
Blackcat31 09:20 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
But telling someone that what they do ISN'T working is a whole different ball game, IMO.
Unless I missed it, I didn't see where the DCD said that.

He asked OP why she didn't go back to work after her kids went to school.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

We see/read posts here ALL the time from providers that say things like "going back to work" after my youngest goes to Kindy etc...
renodeb 09:26 AM 10-21-2014
I would Run!!!!!!!
daycarediva 09:44 AM 10-21-2014
ONE final text:

"Dcd, the space has been filled. Thank you for your interest in my program. Best of luck to you in your search for child care."

If he responds, I would reply with "I would appreciate that you not contact me again."

If he continues to contact you, I would call the POLICE. He's a cop, he should know better.

I am just about to enroll a cop's child in my program (state trooper, actually). I met him when another daycare provider stole my copyright information and called the cops on me. He has been on my waiting list since the night he came to 'warn' me. Very laid back guy but a no-nonsense type, which I like. No interrogation.
christine19720 10:07 AM 10-21-2014
Pass....

I don't even want to imagine what drop off and pick up would be like with this family everyday....
midaycare 10:12 AM 10-21-2014
Meh... what difference does it make?

I mean I don't necessarily have to respect a profession in order for me to be respectful.

The parent is purchasing my services. I have no right to dictate how they feel about the profession.... or whether or not they think it is a profession or not.

I have issues with a couple of my parent's professions but we can still have a productive and respectful relationship.

For example, I have a parent that works in a field that I do NOT believe in, support or think is a necessary profession in this world but that in NO WAY alters my role and what this parent is purchasing from me as a service provider.

I would never allow my personal feelings to affect the services I offer/sell.

There are several kinds of "get along with" as far as definitions go .
I can get along with most people pretty easily but it doesn't mean I agree with their thoughts and feelings or view the world in the same way they do.

In order for me to have a good working relationship with a client, all that I require is CLEAR communication about our expectations from each other and for each of us to fulfill those agreed upon expectations.

I am not in this field to educate clients about my "work" or to garner any type of respect from them about what I do.
I am in this business to make money and make a difference in a child's life.

My definition of respect via a parent is them abiding by the agreed upon policies and rules.

Call me a babysitter, child minder, child care provider, daycare lady, teacher, etc....I don't care.

I am far more concerned about a parent's child rearing philosophy than their opinions about professions.
I like to work with clients that share the same views as I do in regards to raising a child verses their views on careers.

I am far MORE picky about that aspect than anything else.
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Eh ... I don't care what they think about my profession. Or if it's a profession. But I don't like the, "Why didn't you go back to work?" I do work. If a man, this man is particular, is acting in an interrogating manner, and is re-questioning me about the same things and THEN throws out that question? I'll pass.

If a nice couple asks me why I didn't go back to teaching or if I intend to go back to teaching (I've been asked this), no problem.

I take everything into consideration. I wouldn't throw a family out of consideration for that one comment, but the fact that he was interrogating her, too? That raises my red flags. I wasn't there, obviously.

I'm very picky about who "I" let attend here. I do the choosing, not the parents. And that is why (with the exception of my friend that I let her DS attend for the summer - never again) I have great parents. Always pay on time, pick up early a lot. Call and text all the time. Never bring sick kids. Have respect for me and I for them. But that is what I want in my daycare - a connection with families. More than someone handing over cash every week. They are a big part of the reason why I this job.

But I absolutely agree with you on what they call me and what they think of my profession - I could care less. I just ask for respect as a person.
midaycare 10:15 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by christine19720:
Pass....

I don't even want to imagine what drop off and pick up would be like with this family everyday....
Oh my word! I just had awful visions pass before my eyes... "What time did he eat? 9:45? Are you sure it wasn't 9:50? How do you know for sure? Can I see the dirty diapers? I want to know that you really changed him 5 times."
Blackcat31 10:20 AM 10-21-2014
Eh ... I don't care what they think about my profession. Or if it's a profession. But I don't like the, "Why didn't you go back to work?" I do work. If a man, this man is particular, is acting in an interrogating manner, and is re-questioning me about the same things and THEN throws out that question? I'll pass.

If a nice couple asks me why I didn't go back to teaching or if I intend to go back to teaching (I've been asked this), no problem.

I take everything into consideration. I wouldn't throw a family out of consideration for that one comment, but the fact that he was interrogating her, too? That raises my red flags. I wasn't there, obviously.

I'm very picky about who "I" let attend here. I do the choosing, not the parents. And that is why (with the exception of my friend that I let her DS attend for the summer - never again) I have great parents. Always pay on time, pick up early a lot. Call and text all the time. Never bring sick kids. Have respect for me and I for them. But that is what I want in my daycare - a connection with families. More than someone handing over cash every week. They are a big part of the reason why I this job.

But I absolutely agree with you on what they call me and what they think of my profession - I could care less. I just ask for respect as a person.
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT arguing with you...just carrying on a conversation due to differences in perception or interpretation.

You said you are VERY picky about who you allow to attend your care...

How do you know who is or isn't a good fit or worthy of attending your program?
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:33 AM 10-21-2014
I am finding that those who work in criminal field are crazy psycho nuts when they interview. I just had a CPS worker and her husband who GRILLED ME for 90 minutes and I was a nervous wreck after feeling like I did something bad. I run a preschool with a pretty big group of kids and have a great reputation in my community for my program. Plus, I have never had ANY deficiencies. But, they interrogated me about everything...even things that didn't pertain to their child at all. My husband was sad that I let it go on for so long and honestly, so am I! Next time I will say, "This is CLEARLY not a good fit so I wish you the best of luck in your search."
EntropyControlSpecialist 10:35 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Yes, all rescheduled clients have been HUGE PITA's for me.
midaycare 10:43 AM 10-21-2014
Let me preface this by saying I am NOT arguing with you...just carrying on a conversation due to differences in perception or interpretation.

You said you are VERY picky about who you allow to attend your care...

How do you know who is or isn't a good fit or worthy of attending your program?
I know you are not arguing

I wasn't given many gifts here on this planet, but one of them is "reading" people. Nothing weird or psychic. But I get bad feelings off of some people, and the warm fuzzies from others. In a different life before daycare and teaching, I was a hr consultant and interviewed people for companies. I did really well and everyone was always happy with the people I picked. It's a gift. Now I have many things that are not gifts ... Autoimmune issues, terrible at directions, horrible at math, and the list goes on and on ...

My protocol for interviewing is simply to show the parent around and tell them about the program. I lead the interview and they can ask questions when I am done. I'm not rude and I don't say that, I just take control of the situation.

I listen to what the parents say very carefully. What are their concerns? Only money? I'll pass. Do they ask about naptime, what we eat, do they have concerns about their LO? Are they concerned about silly things? Are they asking me if they come 30 minutes late will I still feed their child breakfast? As we are talking I read all body language. I ask where they work, to hear about their schedule, any concerns about previous daycares.

I can usually get a great idea from talking and body language. It's nothing fancy. My gut just gives me a "heck yes" or a "run Forrest, run!"
KidGrind 10:45 AM 10-21-2014
We all have an opportunity to do what is right for us.

I find it extremely hilarious that a potential client would pay me not to work. If I were asked why I didn’t go back to work. I am not privy to the details of the interview. I will share if a client asked me that I would say, “I decided to shift gears, start a daycare and be the boss of me.”

I am in this business for the MOOLAH!
I care about the kids.
They are actually one of my passions in my life.
I am still in it for the MOOLAH!
christine19720 10:46 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
I am finding that those who work in criminal field are crazy psycho nuts when they interview. I just had a CPS worker and her husband who GRILLED ME for 90 minutes and I was a nervous wreck after feeling like I did something bad. I run a preschool with a pretty big group of kids and have a great reputation in my community for my program. Plus, I have never had ANY deficiencies. But, they interrogated me about everything...even things that didn't pertain to their child at all. My husband was sad that I let it go on for so long and honestly, so am I! Next time I will say, "This is CLEARLY not a good fit so I wish you the best of luck in your search."
Call it what they will, but I seem to think if it makes you uncomfortable the interrogating turns to bullying very quickly. I won't have that.....
KidGrind 10:47 AM 10-21-2014

I wasn't given many gifts here on this planet, but one of them is "reading" people. Nothing weird or psychic. But I get bad feelings off of some people, and the warm fuzzies from others. In a different life before daycare and teaching, I was a hr consultant and interviewed people for companies. I did really well and everyone was always happy with the people I picked. It's a gift. Now I have many things that are not gifts ... Autoimmune issues, terrible at directions, horrible at math, and the list goes on and on ...

My protocol for interviewing is simply to show the parent around and tell them about the program. I lead the interview and they can ask questions when I am done. I'm not rude and I don't say that, I just take control of the situation.

I listen to what the parents say very carefully. What are their concerns? Only money? I'll pass. Do they ask about naptime, what we eat, do they have concerns about their LO? Are they concerned about silly things? Are they asking me if they come 30 minutes late will I still feed their child breakfast? As we are talking I read all body language. I ask where they work, to hear about their schedule, any concerns about previous daycares.

I can usually get a great idea from talking and body language. It's nothing fancy. My gut just gives me a "heck yes" or a "run Forrest, run!"

Blackcat31 10:53 AM 10-21-2014

Thank you... I knew that is how you would answer (generally speaking) and my point is that why do we as providers (general providers....not specific ones) get the option of asking parents questions without coming across as interrogating clients but when clients ask us questions (even ones we view as silly or unnecessary) a majority of providers view that type of parent as interrogating?

See what I mean?

I also "read" people very well and have some parents "appear" to be interrogating type folks but they are actually far from it.

As a parent, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be asking you a million and one questions if my child was going to potentially be spending more waking hours at your house, under your supervision, along side your family members.

Would I question you as to what your protocol is for emergencies? Yep.

Would I question you as to what your idea of an emergency is? Yep.

Would I ask about the amount of time any of your family members get to be in direct contact with my child? Yep.

Etc etc etc...

See what I mean? Especially for first time parents.

I also think that LEO's are trained to view things in a certain manner, to ask leading questions and be on the look out for any feelings of uneasiness or situations that appear or feel "off" or "not right" BECAUSE of what they do for a living. They DO tend to come across as interrogating in a way but not as much that I would immediately write them off as potential clients or immediately pass on them.

A relationship is definitely not built in a day so I can't make an educated decision base don one experience with a family. If I wasn't sure, I would schedule a second interview/meeting or I would simply straight up talk with them about how their tone or first impression is possibly giving me a red flag type vibe AND then see what their response or reaction is.

Sorry... I know I am rambling but I had a previous experience like this where someone misinterpreted a family's intent and it was NOT at all what it appeared to be. The family ended up being THE best DCF ever even though they started off on the wring foot.
KiddieCahoots 10:59 AM 10-21-2014
How does everybody type so fast!? ............

Think op questioning the interviewed dcd's integrity as a possible client has just been answered by the angry texts she is now unfortunately receiving. Never mind the demeaning remark of her "work" status. I say demeaning because her 50+ hours a week of daycare were simply diminished from the reality of the work force by his perspective.
If I did not respect a certain profession then I would not acquire their services, I'd do it myself. If I did however need their services, I'd be giving respect for the fact alone that I was asking them to do such an important service for me. But that's just me.
christine19720 11:03 AM 10-21-2014
Oh my word! I just had awful visions pass before my eyes... "What time did he eat? 9:45? Are you sure it wasn't 9:50? How do you know for sure? Can I see the dirty diapers? I want to know that you really changed him 5 times."
Yep!!!
BTDT!
Play Care 11:13 AM 10-21-2014
Unless I missed it, I didn't see where the DCD said that.

He asked OP why she didn't go back to work after her kids went to school.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

We see/read posts here ALL the time from providers that say things like "going back to work" after my youngest goes to Kindy etc...
See, to me asking why she didn't go back to work IS saying that. And I think you know I get annoyed when providers act like it's not a job also
Had he said "why didn't you go back to working outside the home" I'd be cool. Ive just found that those who view what I do as me hanging at home keeping an eye on a couple of kids for some money are the same ones who don't think its a big deal if they run late because "after all, you're home anyway" it's ( the phrase why didn't you go back to work?) just become a red flag for me.
midaycare 11:14 AM 10-21-2014
Thank you... I knew that is how you would answer (generally speaking) and my point is that why do we as providers (general providers....not specific ones) get the option of asking parents questions without coming across as interrogating clients but when clients ask us questions (even ones we view as silly or unnecessary) a majority of providers view that type of parent as interrogating?

See what I mean?

I also "read" people very well and have some parents "appear" to be interrogating type folks but they are actually far from it.

As a parent, you can bet your bottom dollar I would be asking you a million and one questions if my child was going to potentially be spending more waking hours at your house, under your supervision, along side your family members.

Would I question you as to what your protocol is for emergencies? Yep.

Would I question you as to what your idea of an emergency is? Yep.

Would I ask about the amount of time any of your family members get to be in direct contact with my child? Yep.

Etc etc etc...

See what I mean? Especially for first time parents.

I also think that LEO's are trained to view things in a certain manner, to ask leading questions and be on the look out for any feelings of uneasiness or situations that appear or feel "off" or "not right" BECAUSE of what they do for a living. They DO tend to come across as interrogating in a way but not as much that I would immediately write them off as potential clients or immediately pass on them.

A relationship is definitely not built in a day so I can't make an educated decision base don one experience with a family. If I wasn't sure, I would schedule a second interview/meeting or I would simply straight up talk with them about how their tone or first impression is possibly giving me a red flag type vibe AND then see what their response or reaction is.

Sorry... I know I am rambling but I had a previous experience like this where someone misinterpreted a family's intent and it was NOT at all what it appeared to be. The family ended up being THE best DCF ever even though they started off on the wring foot.
My hope is they DO ask me a lot of questions, but it may be written funny. I think we are more alike in our thinking than not. I am extra picky - and so far it's worked well for me. If I see a red flag, I will pass. I'm not interested in finding out if someone is a good client or discovering if they are just quirky. I want to enter Day 1 feeling good about everything.

I've learned in life I just don't need added stress. There are plenty of dcp's around here & centers that will take those parents. I have 6 slots. One bad apple can ruin my whole bunch
midaycare 11:16 AM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
How does everybody type so fast!? ............

I was forced to take a semester of typing in 8th grade. Hated in then, but it did pay off.
sugar buzz 11:27 AM 10-21-2014
I should have titled this: Worst. Interview. Ever. I think offensive was the wrong word. It was more the delivery than the wording, and it was horrible. He arrived with a chip on his shoulder and remained angry and hostile the entire interview. (I've never had an interview where the person didn't smile or shake my hand, when I went to the door.) I gave him the benefit of being a cop, a new parent, and terrified of daycare due to his experiences, but when I told him my daily rate, he said, "You charge by the hour, RIGHT?!!!!" (Say "right" like it's the b-word), and when I told him I close at 5:30, he told me if there were an arrest or accident, "it'd be closer to 6:00." When you put it all together and add the hostility, I think anything he said would have sounded offensive and disrespectful. Some of you lovely providers would have handled him beautifully and stood toe-to-toe--I would pay to see that. I'm very shy and quiet, and I think he thought he had a live one. I did keep re-stating my policies and not to start the "babysitter" debate, but when he asked if I would watch their baby on date-nights, I said: "You would need what's called a babysitter." (I just felt so disrespected at that point.) They've now texted me four times telling me that I wasted their time, they were going to go with someone else, and they want to talk to me. He's obviously never been told no. WTH?
sugar buzz 11:33 AM 10-21-2014
And I apologize for mistyping. I was really upset when I typed my first post. He said: "Why didn't you work after your kids went to school?" When I said: "I work fifty-five hours a week," he just slightly nodded. He acted like he intended it for the way I took it.
midaycare 11:38 AM 10-21-2014
And I apologize for mistyping. I was really upset when I typed my first post. He said: "Why didn't you work after your kids went to school?" When I said: "I work fifty-five hours a week," he just slightly nodded. He acted like he intended it for the way I took it.
I will restate what I wrote in my first post to you: what a tool. You lucked out big time by discovering his true nature.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 10-21-2014
I should have titled this: Worst. Interview. Ever. I think offensive was the wrong word. It was more the delivery than the wording, and it was horrible. He arrived with a chip on his shoulder and remained angry and hostile the entire interview. (I've never had an interview where the person didn't smile or shake my hand, when I went to the door.) I gave him the benefit of being a cop, a new parent, and terrified of daycare due to his experiences, but when I told him my daily rate, he said, "You charge by the hour, RIGHT?!!!!" (Say "right" like it's the b-word), and when I told him I close at 5:30, he told me if there were an arrest or accident, "it'd be closer to 6:00." When you put it all together and add the hostility, I think anything he said would have sounded offensive and disrespectful. Some of you lovely providers would have handled him beautifully and stood toe-to-toe--I would pay to see that. I'm very shy and quiet, and I think he thought he had a live one. I did keep re-stating my policies and not to start the "babysitter" debate, but when he asked if I would watch their baby on date-nights, I said: "You would need what's called a babysitter." (I just felt so disrespected at that point.) They've now texted me four times telling me that I wasted their time, they were going to go with someone else, and they want to talk to me. He's obviously never been told no. WTH?
Hun, you did fine

Your second post CLEARLY explains that this was not a mis-interpretation with a parent but an interview with an A-hole for lack of better terms.

Condescending and rude are VERY different then interrogating or inquiring ....kwim?

I would have had issues immediately with them trying to dictate when you were able to close and his angry demeanor. Leave your stress at work dude.

Do not respond to their texts. Unless you want to send one final text:

"Please STOP texting me. Continually texting after it is clear we are NOT going to be working together is considered harassment. STOP texting."
sugar buzz 11:46 AM 10-21-2014
Thanks B.C.! I needed that....
TaylorTots 12:00 PM 10-21-2014
Since hindsight is 20/20...

I would have turned it around on DCD and used my normal questions about what they do at home with baby but grilled him 3 ways about the same thing.

"How often does baby eat?"
"Does baby ever refuse a bottle?"
"What if you are in the car at feeding time? Do you pull over, prop the bottle, let baby cry?"
"How often do you change baby's diapers?"
"What if baby needs a diaper change before that? What if baby is dry?"
"Do you ever put on diaper cream? What kind? Why that kind?"

If they are going to question my ability to care for their child in a non-respectable way then I'd do the same. But then again, I wouldn't want to deal with those parents and right away would decide to not offer them the spot.... so the rest of the interview would be me trying to have some fun...
Hazel 02:34 PM 10-21-2014
I would absolutely pass! If they are acting like this they will probably be those nightmare parents we've all had once in our careers (if you haven't you're very lucky!)
I've been interrogated to the point where I felt uncomfortable and have turned them away. It's never worth it.
The most recent issue I had was when a parent asked if I had home owners insurance to cover myself and the kids in case anything happened and then turned around and not only wanted to read it but wanted a copy for himself.
I guess I can understand why he would want to know but all I kept thinking " is this one of those crazy families I hear about that hurt their kid and then blame me and Sue me knowing I have a 1 million dollar umbrella policy to cover me and my daycare?" Maybe I'm paranoid but it just felt really off the way he asked, his body language and everything....
KidGrind 03:23 PM 10-21-2014
Sorry you went through that awful interview.

What in the **** do they want to talk to you about? They already said they’d go with someone else.

I’d like to with DCD’s “…more like 6:00 PM…” comment would’ve been met with, “Mr. _______ I close promptly at 5:30 PM. I don’t work pass 5:30 PM with children in care. It’s $1 per minute for late pick ups, due at the time of pick up or care will not be provided the following day. The 3rd late pick-up is immediate termination. I don’t think I’m the right fit for your family."
crazydaycarelady 03:51 PM 10-21-2014
I have not had time to read all of the responses but my hubby is a PO so I have watched for a lot of people in LE. They don't ask ridiculous questions!They are not all like this guy. I think this guy has a tough guy complex.

Plus if they say they were going to go with someone else then why are they upset anyway? They probably thought they were interviewing you - and had no freaking clue you might just say no.
Josiegirl 04:02 PM 10-21-2014
Just curious if he gave his wife any time to interject a word? I mean, it IS her baby too! I'm glad you decided to just say NO but why on earth is he still talking?? And as someone else asked, wth does he want to talk to you about? It's clear(to you and all of us anyways) that this would not be a good working relationship. Control and try to intimidate people much?
I'd also send him the one last text demanding him to stop texting or you'll report for harassment. But the nosy side of me wants to know what he feels he needs to say to you.

I truly hope there is no flack at your dh's work because of this. What does your dh think about it?
sugar buzz 06:02 PM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I have not had time to read all of the responses but my hubby is a PO so I have watched for a lot of people in LE. They don't ask ridiculous questions!They are not all like this guy. I think this guy has a tough guy complex.

Plus if they say they were going to go with someone else then why are they upset anyway? They probably thought they were interviewing you - and had no freaking clue you might just say no.
That's awesome....ironically, we LOVE POs and were really excited about providing care for one. My DD wants to major in Criminal Justice, and she's actually dressing up as one for Halloween. She told me: "Don't let him jade you! We're not all like that!"

His wife was kind of timid. Her hands and voice shook every time she spoke, and she kept saying she wished she could be a SAHM. They were 20 minutes late, so I wonder if they had had a fight--something just didn't feel right. He was HUGE--like bench-press huge--very intimidating. There was zero warmth or humor.

The last text was from her. She apologized and said that they are not really that up-tight and she's really sorry for scaring me off, and she hopes that I wasn't offended by her husband's questions. I didn't respond to any of the texts, so hopefully it's over. I think that he's just used to making all the decisions and ordering people around, and he came undone when I beat him to the punch. DH's co-worker seems to think they're fine, but he wasn't attempting to care for their never-can-be-put-down-or-be-near-other-children baby, and he's also not female! I told my DH just to tell his co-worker that I changed my mind about taking an infant. I just want off that guy's radar!
m.kids1301 06:39 PM 10-21-2014
I really don't trust super picky parents. Well, I was pretty picky with my 1st daughter but not to the point of ridiculous.

I had a little girl, Aiyana, in 2004 for 3 weeks. She was 2 at the time and just a little clingy, but no problem. The 1st day her dad called he said he was divorcing her mother because she was abusive. So he brought her himself the 1st 2 times I think. Then his girlfriend came with him. I tried to be friendly... boy, was that not working! She kept looking around trying to find something wrong. One day at pickup my neighbor brought over their baby hamsters to show me and someone spilled sequins by the table... it was general chaos! Those 2 just stood there like "what on earth?" A morning at drop off I was informed that Aiyana's diaper was completely soaked the evening before at pickup. I'd had a appointment to get to, and my husband was here the last little bit, but he said he'd checked her. Since they were being so picky, the next time I wasn't there he checked her right before pickup and she was dry. They again said in the morning that she was soaked. I left a note the next time (I had something going on those 3 days - I'm usually here at pickup!) saying if they didn't like what I was doing they could find someone else. That was the last I saw them. But the big shock came about a year later. There were several articles in the newspaper describing the torture that woman put that poor baby through!!! She duct-taped her hands behind her back, made her sleep on a metal tray in the back part of the un-heated garage with a cement floor! There was a bed with a bunch of stuff on it so she couldn't sleep on it. She was forced to eat this slime that "mom" put in the blender; I don't know what all was in that. Then she finally KILLED her!!! She was only 4. The woman called the police and was hysterical and had the little girl's body on the washer and nearby was a broken cutting board that she apparently had been banging her on the head with! I couldn't believe these supposedly "picky" people had done that to this poor child!! And I had a helper at the time that knew the girl's mom and said she didn't believe she could be abusive. Wow! Oh, and I think she got life in prison and twice has attempted to appeal!!

But I really like to avoid the picky ones... I just had a dad that is super overprotective of his daughter and because she whined about a 2 year old hitting her (she's 5) the dad referred to the 2 year old as a bully! He removed her so she could go to school... I feel sorry for that school!!!

Baby Beluga 09:14 PM 10-21-2014
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:
I really don't trust super picky parents. Well, I was pretty picky with my 1st daughter but not to the point of ridiculous.

I had a little girl, Aiyana, in 2004 for 3 weeks. She was 2 at the time and just a little clingy, but no problem. The 1st day her dad called he said he was divorcing her mother because she was abusive. So he brought her himself the 1st 2 times I think. Then his girlfriend came with him. I tried to be friendly... boy, was that not working! She kept looking around trying to find something wrong. One day at pickup my neighbor brought over their baby hamsters to show me and someone spilled sequins by the table... it was general chaos! Those 2 just stood there like "what on earth?" A morning at drop off I was informed that Aiyana's diaper was completely soaked the evening before at pickup. I'd had a appointment to get to, and my husband was here the last little bit, but he said he'd checked her. Since they were being so picky, the next time I wasn't there he checked her right before pickup and she was dry. They again said in the morning that she was soaked. I left a note the next time (I had something going on those 3 days - I'm usually here at pickup!) saying if they didn't like what I was doing they could find someone else. That was the last I saw them. But the big shock came about a year later. There were several articles in the newspaper describing the torture that woman put that poor baby through!!! She duct-taped her hands behind her back, made her sleep on a metal tray in the back part of the un-heated garage with a cement floor! There was a bed with a bunch of stuff on it so she couldn't sleep on it. She was forced to eat this slime that "mom" put in the blender; I don't know what all was in that. Then she finally KILLED her!!! She was only 4. The woman called the police and was hysterical and had the little girl's body on the washer and nearby was a broken cutting board that she apparently had been banging her on the head with! I couldn't believe these supposedly "picky" people had done that to this poor child!! And I had a helper at the time that knew the girl's mom and said she didn't believe she could be abusive. Wow! Oh, and I think she got life in prison and twice has attempted to appeal!!

Omg
jenboo 09:15 PM 10-21-2014
My cop dad is one of my favorites! He is so easy going and is all about "it takes a village to raise a child". This family (I have a DCB and his cousin) throw the best parties! I nannied them before opening my daycare and do date night sitting. I know most of the family... Dh loves them too. So we are closer to them than typical daycare families.
Unregistered 03:44 AM 10-22-2014
I had an interview like this once. I was grilled for over an hour about every single procedure. They asked to see my emergency plans!

Dcd sounds like a tool. No offense to tools. I would pass on them if you can afford to. I did not take the family that grilled me because I don't want to be questioned 24/7 about everything I do.
I've never had a cop for a client, but I'm always leery of parents who ask too many questions. Most of the time, their child is special needs or just behind. I took in two children (not related) at different times who's parents asked very detailed questions. I thought it was first time parent jitters. I quickly realized the children where physically and mentally delayed and the parents had no plans on helping them. I termed. I also termed, because I felt they were looking to blame me for things. For example, I would say "Jane should be crawling BY now". "She does crawl at home". Really! :/
nannyde 04:30 AM 10-22-2014
Some of you lovely providers would have handled him beautifully and stood toe-to-toe--I would pay to see that.
The whole thread I'm thinking.... "let me at em... let me at em"

Time to open a can of Bam Bam Bigelow on this jerk.

Hard Core Pawn parent
nannyde 07:07 AM 10-22-2014
Wouldn't it be fun to try to get the guy to cry by the end of the interview? Like Barbra Walters when she's interviewing celebrities.

"You seem like a very protective Daddy. How old were you when YOUR father abandoned your mother?"

"You seem like a perfectionist. Did the recruits at your police academy have to do extra pushups when you couldn't scale the wall?"

You seem very worried about a preteen caring for your child while in my house. Did your mother leave you with strange kids when she started dating after your Dad abandoned you? How did that make YOU feel?"

I wouldn't quit till I had him bawling like a little sissy girl.
NightOwl 07:25 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Wouldn't it be fun to try to get the guy to cry by the end of the interview? Like Barbra Walters when she's interviewing celebrities.

"You seem like a very protective Daddy. How old were you when YOUR father abandoned your mother?"

"You seem like a perfectionist. Did the recruits at your police academy have to do extra pushups when you couldn't scale the wall?"

You seem very worried about a preteen caring for your child while in my house. Did your mother leave you with strange kids when she started dating after your Dad abandoned you? How did that make YOU feel?"

KiddieCahoots 07:54 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:

.....too funny, and probably nailed it right on the head!

One of my grandparents, that picks up on a regular basis is Lieutenant of the police department in my town. He is the nicest guy! Nothing like this controlling jerk! Hope he has more restraint when he's working.
Hunni Bee 10:23 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by m.kids1301:

But I really like to avoid the picky ones... I just had a dad that is super overprotective of his daughter and because she whined about a 2 year old hitting her (she's 5) the dad referred to the 2 year old as a bully! He removed her so she could go to school... I feel sorry for that school!!!

My Lord. Poor Aiyana.
Tags:infant safety
Reply Up