Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Ideas: Not Eating
KayB 02:32 PM 03-18-2015
We have 3 toddlers that refuse to eat lunch but want snacks. The lunches that are given they have had before and love it but here lately they don't want any of it. But they know where we keep the snack they stand there and keep asking for snacks. But we don't give them the snack. When it is snack time after they wake up we give them their lunches that they did not eat They just sit there and look at it. After snack time we clean up and they are standing by the snacks asking for it. We don't give in. Any suggestions or anything we may try different?
daycare 02:37 PM 03-18-2015
how close are your meal times...
Unregistered 02:42 PM 03-18-2015
Keep on, they will get it eventually.
KayB 02:43 PM 03-18-2015
One comes in at 7:45 and sometimes has breakfast with him other times has already ate. Another one comes in any where between 8-9 and always brings breakfast BUT we limit what we give him of that because we do lunch at 11:30 and the other one comes in at 10 and has usually eaten. The two last ones I told you about is doing the same with their meals at home that they eat.
daycare 02:47 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by KayB:
One comes in at 7:45 and sometimes has breakfast with him other times has already ate. Another one comes in any where between 8-9 and always brings breakfast BUT we limit what we give him of that because we do lunch at 11:30 and the other one comes in at 10 and has usually eaten. The two last ones I told you about is doing the same with their meals at home that they eat.
I wish I had some suggestions for you..

I find that the only thing that works when working with kids is consistency.

I have set meal times. If you are here in the morning, you will sit and eat. If you don't want to eat, you will still sit at the table, but all of my kids are here for the purpose of eating breakfast.

every day my meals are served at the same time day in and out. breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack

I don't offer any sugar or salty processed foods, so the kids learn to eat what they get. They hate my food when they start and love it soon enough.

I would maybe find a way to have set meal times for everyone and no junk food.

if you serve hummus and carrots for snack, i bet you will be seeing kids devour their tuna sandwich at lunch, learn to like healthy food and then will eat at all meals.
Unregistered 03:01 PM 03-18-2015
You could always offer 1/2 of a serving of each component until they start eating again.
Heidi 03:07 PM 03-18-2015
It's very simple: get RID of the "snack foods".

They are standing there staring at the snack cabinet, knowing what's in there. So, fill it with fresh fruit, veggies, unsweetened applesauce, etc. They can't bed for what's not there.

Have you tried a picture schedule? Then, when they stand their begging, show them on the pictures what they SHOULD be doing now, and when the next meal is.
KayB 03:17 PM 03-18-2015
I am sorry I need to clarify when I say they stand where we keep our snacks it is stocked with healthy snacks. It is next to the fridge where we keep the cold healthy snacks.
Unregistered 03:19 PM 03-18-2015
I'd switch up the schedule. I would eliminate snacks and just do meals 3-4 hours apart.
Ariana 03:21 PM 03-18-2015
My attitude is "not my problem". Serve snack and lunch and leave it up to them what they want to eat. It's not your problem. At the same time hopefully you are feeding them healthful things at each sitting so they are getting a balanced diet no matter when they choose to eat. Today my DCK ate a whole muffin, barely ate lunch but then drank a healthy fruit smoothie with protein and fish oil mixed in. He gets to choose when and how much he wants to eat, and I choose what to serve.
Heidi 03:44 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
My attitude is "not my problem". Serve snack and lunch and leave it up to them what they want to eat. It's not your problem. At the same time hopefully you are feeding them healthful things at each sitting so they are getting a balanced diet no matter when they choose to eat. Today my DCK ate a whole muffin, barely ate lunch but then drank a healthy fruit smoothie with protein and fish oil mixed in. He gets to choose when and how much he wants to eat, and I choose what to serve.

Meeko 04:15 PM 03-18-2015
Yep! I'm with Heidi!

I offer food. My job is done. They can eat or not eat.
AmyKidsCo 04:31 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Yep! I'm with Heidi!

I offer food. My job is done. They can eat or not eat.
Me too.

Can you block off the area so they can't get near where the snacks are stored?

Or try "We had snack after nap, and now it's play time" 1-2 times, then ignore them. As long as they're not disturbing anyone they're only "hurting" themselves by standing there doing nothing.
Gemma 05:05 PM 03-18-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
It's very simple: get RID of the "snack foods".

Josiegirl 04:12 AM 03-19-2015
Can you move the snack food drawer or cupboard? Then after opening it enough times and saying all gone, maybe they'll stop. Otherwise, just stay consistent. They'll learn after awhile.
laundrymom 07:07 AM 03-19-2015
My advice.
Start serving lunch type items for snacks too. What snack foods do they crave?
Definately don't serve those for a month. Serve small, lunch menu items for snack. And stop stressing.
Offer. Offer. Offer. When it's not food time, it's simply not food time.
For snack, give the PROPER SIZE SERVING of something.
Here it's two meal components.
Typically I serve milk &banana or milk and dry cereal. Or milk and apple slices. But I measure every serving. A small child doesn't need a whole banana and 8 oz milk at snack.
They get recommended serving sizes for their ages at every meal. At lunch they may eat as much as they want of veg, protein, fruit. (In that order. I offer seconds on veg. If they eat that I offer protein. If they eat that they may have fruit. If they are still hungry I will re offer veg. But I don't allow them to fill up on bread or grain.
It might sound mean but my kids eat everything I put in front of them. Every day.
KayB 07:36 AM 03-19-2015

This is EXACTLY how I feel. But my helper does not want them to "starve".
KayB 07:40 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I can not get RID of the snack here. I am to give them an afternoon snack. Again, it is ALL healthy snacks.
KayB 07:42 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Can you move the snack food drawer or cupboard? Then after opening it enough times and saying all gone, maybe they'll stop. Otherwise, just stay consistent. They'll learn after awhile.
We do keep saying no to them. We don't give in to their whining at all.
daycare 07:42 AM 03-19-2015
This is EXACTLY how I feel. But my helper does not want them to "starve".
they are not going to starve.

children need to eat every 2.5-3 hours. their stomachs are the size of their fist, not ours. It can't carry a lot of food and can't for very long, so they need to eat small healthy meals several times a day.

I really think that if you lay out a menu and stick to it, you can resolve it.

Don't make a big deal out of the food. Serve lunch at lunch, snack at snack, don't make a power struggle out of it. Kids will only eat when they are hungry.

If they ate great, if not, then they will have to wait until the next meal.

I have had my fair share of eating battles over the years and the best thing you can do is not let it get to a battle. keep it simple, we serve, they eat it or not.
hope 07:45 AM 03-19-2015
I wouldn't over think this. A child will get hungry. A child needs nutrition. It's that simple. Offer healthy meals and snacks (fresh fruits and veggies). If the child doesn't want to eat the meal they need to sit till everyone is done. Ignore their tantrum. When they ask for a snack and it's not snack time tell the to go play. I don't doll up meals into cute creations or beg a child to eat. What I do do is start them young with healthy eating habits. I puree lots of veggies into my sauces and meatballs and such but I dont hide the fact I do. It is to get as much nutrition as possible into each serving and to teach the child's pallet to recognize what good healthy food is. Have you tried smoothies? I find that even the most stubborm child can not resist a smoothie.
spinnymarie 08:35 AM 03-19-2015
I can not get RID of the snack here. I am to give them an afternoon snack. Again, it is ALL healthy snacks.
I believe she meant 'snack food'. For example, I serve multi-grain crackers for one snack. If that was all the kids wanted or were eating or were standing at the cabinet begging for, I would no longer serve it, ever.
daycare 08:40 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by hope:
I wouldn't over think this. A child will get hungry. A child needs nutrition. It's that simple. Offer healthy meals and snacks (fresh fruits and veggies). If the child doesn't want to eat the meal they need to sit till everyone is done. Ignore their tantrum. When they ask for a snack and it's not snack time tell the to go play. I don't doll up meals into cute creations or beg a child to eat. What I do do is start them young with healthy eating habits. I puree lots of veggies into my sauces and meatballs and such but I dont hide the fact I do. It is to get as much nutrition as possible into each serving and to teach the child's pallet to recognize what good healthy food is. Have you tried smoothies? I find that even the most stubborm child can not resist a smoothie.
I agree, it seems like maybe you are just over thinking it a bit, trust me when I tell you I am Queen of this.

I agree with what hope is saying, but I don't allow kids to stay at the table if they tantrum, it's very unsettling to have to sit and eat hearing that in your face/space.

If a child throws a tantrum and it's breakfast they can go to the crying spot. I teach the kids, you don't have to like it, you don't even have to try it, but you may not scream, use your words and tell me, no thank you.

If it were lunch and they throw a screaming tantrum then I will tell them I think you are too tired to eat, time for your nap and they are removed to lay down. I often get a no, I am not tired yet and so they eat.

Just curious, if your snacks are healthy just like the other meals, then why are they holding out for them or asking for them? If they are healthy, then start serving them for their lunch instead.
mamamanda 08:49 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I believe she meant 'snack food'. For example, I serve multi-grain crackers for one snack. If that was all the kids wanted or were eating or were standing at the cabinet begging for, I would no longer serve it, ever.
Yes, I think a lot of people consider any type of crackers, goldfish, teddy grahams, fruit snacks, etc to be healthy snacks. I battle that in my family a LOT. Yes, chocolate pudding has calcium in it, but it is not a healthy snack. Kwim? If the kids are waiting on crackers, then I think she was saying get rid of the crackers & serve fresh fruits & veggies instead. I had a struggle with kids waiting for snacks myself. I started trying to incorporate more mini meals into snack time. Apple slices dipped in peanut butter is a favorite around here. Half of an organic turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread is another. That way I don't feel like they're just getting snack foods regardless of when they eat.
daycare 08:51 AM 03-19-2015
I have never once served a cracker of any kind in my childcare. I think they are 100% junk and kids will get them at home. I want them to get food at my place that they won't usually get at home.
AmyLeigh 09:41 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I just recently did this. My two oldest dcks started asking for crackers the second they walk in the door. So, oops, Amy doesn't have crackers anymore. You are more than welcome to have...(a better choice along the lines of what mamamanda mentioned).

Worked like a charm. No more requests for crackers. Now they just ask what we are having for snack.
KayB 10:50 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I agree, it seems like maybe you are just over thinking it a bit, trust me when I tell you I am Queen of this.

I agree with what hope is saying, but I don't allow kids to stay at the table if they tantrum, it's very unsettling to have to sit and eat hearing that in your face/space.

If a child throws a tantrum and it's breakfast they can go to the crying spot. I teach the kids, you don't have to like it, you don't even have to try it, but you may not scream, use your words and tell me, no thank you.

If it were lunch and they throw a screaming tantrum then I will tell them I think you are too tired to eat, time for your nap and they are removed to lay down. I often get a no, I am not tired yet and so they eat.

Just curious, if your snacks are healthy just like the other meals, then why are they holding out for them or asking for them? If they are healthy, then start serving them for their lunch instead.
Exactly!! They are weird kids lol!
KayB 10:55 AM 03-19-2015
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I have been doing this for well over 20 years and it has been a long time since I have had this problem and needed a refresher on how to handle it!
Unregistered 12:54 PM 03-19-2015
I'm eliminating crackers from my menu. i have been gravitating to fruit/veggies with nuts/ham/yogurt.
Tags:snack foods, won't eat
Reply Up