Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2015, 11:55 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default I Shouldn't Have Said That....Vent

So I have a family that is very VERY well to do.

They are the kind of family that lives life flying by the seat of their pants and show their financial gains through purchased items.

they have been in my program and have had issues making on time payments. I have been very laxed, my fault.

well they have no issue paying the $150 late fee when their payment is less than that each week. UGH normally I allow 3 late pay and then term.

Well dcf is always on some vacation and dck has hardly been here at preschool.

so today i stepped up and said no pay no stay. dcm keeps on bragging about how much fun they had shopping in vegas and skiing in colorado.

I open my big mouth and said nice to know you can afford to do all of those fun expensive things, but can't afford to pay me on time? I didn't realize there was another parent right behind them at the door....OH NO. open mouth insert foot.

dcm handed me the cash and walked out. do I say anything and say sorry or just drop it? I feel it was very unprofessional of me to say that...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
So I have a family that is very VERY well to do.

They are the kind of family that lives life flying by the seat of their pants and show their financial gains through purchased items.

they have been in my program and have had issues making on time payments. I have been very laxed, my fault.

well they have no issue paying the $150 late fee when their payment is less than that each week. UGH normally I allow 3 late pay and then term.

Well dcf is always on some vacation and dck has hardly been here at preschool.

so today i stepped up and said no pay no stay. dcm keeps on bragging about how much fun they had shopping in vegas and skiing in colorado.

I open my big mouth and said nice to know you can afford to do all of those fun expensive things, but can't afford to pay me on time? I didn't realize there was another parent right behind them at the door....OH NO. open mouth insert foot.

dcm handed me the cash and walked out. do I say anything and say sorry or just drop it? I feel it was very unprofessional of me to say that...
*hugs* Personally, I would let it go. You are human and these things sometimes happen.

I also want to say, if the mom (who was late paying) was embarrassed - good. That may be unprofessional of me to think, but it was very disrespectful of her to intentionally not pay on time. Perhaps a little embarrassment may make her realize that being okay with paying a late fee does not make being late okay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:09 PM
momofsix's Avatar
momofsix momofsix is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,840
Default

Oh wow- kind of serves them right to be embarrassed in front of another parent! Did the other parent hear and respond in any way?
I guess I would apologize though-even though they deserved it. More that it was said in front of someone than what was actually what was said.
"I just wanted to apologize for what was said yesterday. I had NO idea that Mr. Hidden was right behind you. I would never intentionally embarrass you or disclose something personal like that to another parent. I'm sorry that it happened, and I will be more careful in the future>"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM
Controlled Chaos's Avatar
Controlled Chaos Controlled Chaos is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,128
Default

I would let it go. Honestly, I don't have private chats with parents away from other parents about payment, how could you? No way in my set up. I either say "thanks for paying on time!" or "I'm afraid Susy can't stay until you pay, have a great day. Goodbye." Whoever is around hears it. If I had a repeat offender I would probably have said something similar. But I'm in to honesty above preventing awkward situations.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:41 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

to be honest i don't feel bad for saying it, I just feel that it was not professional of me and made me look bad. lol
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
to be honest i don't feel bad for saying it, I just feel that it was not professional of me and made me look bad. lol
You sound so much like me! I don't know how many times I have said something and then thought "maybe I should feel bad but I don't".
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-15-2015, 12:56 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
You sound so much like me! I don't know how many times I have said something and then thought "maybe I should feel bad but I don't".
lol....Well most of this is my fault considering I should have already term the family for making so many late payments.

I think maybe I will be chicken and just send an email saying sorry.

but still don't feel bad...lol
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-15-2015, 01:16 PM
midaycare's Avatar
midaycare midaycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Posts: 5,659
Default

Depends how much you value the family. Sounds like they are a lot of trouble. In that case, I wouldn't apologize.

FWIW...some people are great at appearing to have a lot of money, but are actually in debt up to their eyeballs.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-15-2015, 01:18 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midaycare View Post
Depends how much you value the family. Sounds like they are a lot of trouble. In that case, I wouldn't apologize.

FWIW...some people are great at appearing to have a lot of money, but are actually in debt up to their eyeballs.
OH i agree..... They are a pain in my you know what. If I didn't love love love dck to death, it would have been much easier to just say hit the road jack.

very true on that. just because they own half of the town, doesnt not mean they don't have a ton of debt.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2015, 01:20 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
OH i agree..... They are a pain in my you know what. If I didn't love love love dck to death, it would have been much easier to just say hit the road jack.

very true on that. just because they own half of the town, doesnt not mean they don't have a ton of debt.
He who has the most toys owes the most lol! I have no toys of my own lol.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default paying late

Best thing you can do for yourself and your business is have the parents pay a week ahead. Problem solved. When parents come in and don't have the payment for the next week. I simply ask them to give it to me Monday morning. I already have the week owed payment because they pay a week ahead. Best advice given on this forum!!! They don't have it Monday morning they go home and get it and take child with them. This is my job and source of income. I am not a loan bank or a friend you can borrow money from- I work hard!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:43 AM
DaveA's Avatar
DaveA DaveA is online now
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois
Posts: 4,048
Default

I wouldn't worry about an email or anything of the sort. Moment's passed, you got paid, and maybe the DCF will get in their head to pay on time. If they're embarrassed because another family was around, oh well. You're good.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-16-2015, 11:46 AM
Annalee's Avatar
Annalee Annalee is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,037
Default

We are human....don't worry about it.....learn from it!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Snowmom's Avatar
Snowmom Snowmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
So I have a family that is very VERY well to do.

They are the kind of family that lives life flying by the seat of their pants and show their financial gains through purchased items.

they have been in my program and have had issues making on time payments. I have been very laxed, my fault.

well they have no issue paying the $150 late fee when their payment is less than that each week. UGH normally I allow 3 late pay and then term.

Well dcf is always on some vacation and dck has hardly been here at preschool.

so today i stepped up and said no pay no stay. dcm keeps on bragging about how much fun they had shopping in vegas and skiing in colorado.

I open my big mouth and said nice to know you can afford to do all of those fun expensive things, but can't afford to pay me on time? I didn't realize there was another parent right behind them at the door....OH NO. open mouth insert foot.

dcm handed me the cash and walked out. do I say anything and say sorry or just drop it? I feel it was very unprofessional of me to say that...
Ha. I bet it felt good though.
I wouldn't stress about it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:25 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,141
Default

I know this doesn't help but I would love those $150 late fees! I would tell them to pay as late as they want
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 10,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
I know this doesn't help but I would love those $150 late fees! I would tell them to pay as late as they want
LOL That was my first thought too! But I have to admit it'd tick me off knowing how much they were spending on everything else but childcare, while I was scrimping to buy craft materials for their child! I'm positive something would've slipped outta my mouth too.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
I know this doesn't help but I would love those $150 late fees! I would tell them to pay as late as they want
I was just thinking the same thing
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
lol....Well most of this is my fault considering I should have already term the family for making so many late payments.

I think maybe I will be chicken and just send an email saying sorry.

but still don't feel bad...lol
You have a grudge due to late payments. It bugs you. That's why you said it. I think anyways Just stick to your rules and you'll feel better
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
foot in mouth, late payment, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just Wanted to Vent a Bit, Indecisive! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 08-07-2015 11:22 AM
Vent Vent Vent katie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 09-17-2010 05:44 PM
I'm not a doormat! vent vent vent mitcheaa Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 05-30-2009 11:35 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:41 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming