Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Square Footage
mabell 04:25 PM 12-02-2017
So we have been looking at properties for a center and ran into a question.
In Michigan, a center needs so many square feet per kid, which also depends on age. We also have a maximum group size and ratios to follow. We are obviously trying to get the best group and ratio numbers for our space.
Here's the question: Does total square footage of "infant areas" or "pre k areas" satisfy the square footage rule...or do individual rooms need to satisfy the requirements?

Example: infant (0 to 30 months) ratio is 4:1 and they need 50 square feet each and max group size is 12 (per well defined area)
If we had 3 rooms that total more than enough square feet for 12 infants but the individual rooms only have enough for 5, 4 and 3...can we have more than the 5, 4 or 3 kids in those rooms for play and activities? Use one room for changing table and cribs and the other two as play and eat areas? Or can their only be so many kids per square foot no matter what?

Is there any way to consult with a licensor?
momofsix 07:20 PM 12-02-2017
I'm not sure about the answer to your square footage question. I do know that licencing can and will meet with you before you're even going through the process to help with what you need to get going. I'm not sure where you are, but here's a link to all the areas covered by state licensing and the person in charge of each area. I'd start by calling the person in charge for your area.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/la...e_504522_7.pdf
284878 07:30 PM 12-02-2017
Yes, I was told by the woman that did intake on applications that they encourage you to call and ask questions. They would rather have you ask then get your app denied because you didn't have all complete or accurate.
mabell 07:56 PM 12-02-2017
Awesome! Thank you!
Reply Up