Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New 8 Month Old, 30 Minute Naps
Unregistered 12:31 PM 02-18-2020
I posted a few weeks ago about the mom who wanted to cal the shots...his replacement started last week and I really like this family, from what I have seen so far. Very nice and trusting parents-story time allowed 😉relaxed and happy baby, however...30 minute naps. Like down to the minute. I have tried putting him down earlier thinking over tired, I have tried holding off so he was more tired...still...here we are after 30 minutes and he’s up.

Parents say he goes right to sleep when he’s out down for his nap/to bed, no crazy rituals or anything and he came to me from group care so I am surprised by this.

Does anyone have any tips?
Unregistered 12:34 PM 02-18-2020
**wanting to add- he is up around 6:30-6:45 and comes to me at 7:30. I feed breakfast at 8:15 once I get done with bus runs.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I posted a few weeks ago about the mom who wanted to cal the shots...his replacement started last week and I really like this family, from what I have seen so far. Very nice and trusting parents-story time allowed 😉relaxed and happy baby, however...30 minute naps. Like down to the minute. I have tried putting him down earlier thinking over tired, I have tried holding off so he was more tired...still...here we are after 30 minutes and he’s up.

Parents say he goes right to sleep when he’s out down for his nap/to bed, no crazy rituals or anything and he came to me from group care so I am surprised by this.

Does anyone have any tips?

Cat Herder 12:52 PM 02-18-2020
Time.

I don't even use a nap schedule until 12 months.

They nap at will, then back to the floor.
Snowmom 01:18 PM 02-18-2020
^ Yes!
Give it a few weeks for him to adapt to the new environment and develop trust.
jenboo 02:12 PM 02-18-2020
I would try to get them back to sleep when they wake up. Don't pick them up but jiggle the crib a little to soothe or jiggle them with your hand. A lot of babies have a hard time getting past the 30 min nap intruder especially if the parents grab them the second they wake up.
If they don't go back to sleep, work on having them stay in bed for a little bit before getting them up. It takes time but eventually they learn to sleep through the sleep cycle changes.
Ariana 03:47 PM 02-18-2020
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I would try to get them back to sleep when they wake up. Don't pick them up but jiggle the crib a little to soothe or jiggle them with your hand. A lot of babies have a hard time getting past the 30 min nap intruder especially if the parents grab them the second they wake up.
If they don't go back to sleep, work on having them stay in bed for a little bit before getting them up. It takes time but eventually they learn to sleep through the sleep cycle changes.
I agree with this. Keeping them in their beds an extra 5-10 minutes after wake time before getting them up. Right now he is waking as soon as his body goes into light sleep mode and because he is used to getting up he doesn’t stay asleep.
flying_babyb 05:38 PM 02-18-2020
SO to piggyback, what do you do with the child who wakes up after 30 mins and no matter how you try to soothe, SHREAKS, like loud enough that he wakes the rest of the class unless you pick him up. Were a center
Cat Herder 03:49 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
SO to piggyback, what do you do with the child who wakes up after 30 mins and no matter how you try to soothe, SHREAKS, like loud enough that he wakes the rest of the class unless you pick him up. Were a center
I'd send him to hang out in the directors' office until nap was over. That might impress upon him/her just how disruptive this one child is. If it continued, it would be either he goes or I do. Daycare jobs are a dime a dozen.

Here, if an infant, I'd still have to put him down in his play area if he was not asleep after 20 minutes. It is in the minimum State regs, now. No confinement equipment, no rocking, no swinging, no holding, just down with toys.

If it continued over time, I'd consider terming if no improvement. In group care, the majority needs must come before the one.
Jo123ABC 07:13 AM 02-19-2020
I'd let them be for a bit also rather than running to get them up right away. Give them some time to go back to sleep. It might take 15 min. Or more the first few times then 10, then 5. I only do 2 naps during the day here unless younger than about 4 months. An hour in the am and 2 hours in the pm. Keep them on that schedule and ask parents to try to do the same
Tags:8 month old, infant - nap schedule, infants - floor time, nap length, nap times
Reply Up