Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Being Unreasonable?
daycarediva 06:14 AM 12-27-2012
I have a child going from 3 days a week to 4 days per week, starting next week. I am open on New Years. Child typically comes Tues, Wed, Thurs and is adding Monday.

My rates are $35/day for 5 days, $40/day for 4 days, $45/day for 3 days. So dcm was paying $135 for 3 days and wrote my check for $135 next week (3 days) but dcb will be coming Mon, NOT Tuesday/New Years since she is off, Wednesday and Thursday. I told her that her rate is now $160 and that she owes an additional $25. It is in my parent handbook that I don't allow switching days and if dcb isn't in attendance they are still required to pay. *I* am sticking to my contract, but dcm was NOT happy. I told her that she is still getting a deal, since I could bill her Monday at drop in rates ($50 and THEN bill the 3 days at $135) which we have done in the past when she needs just one extra day here and there.

WWYD?
momofboys 06:20 AM 12-27-2012
I think you are fine, sounds like she is trying to get out of paying day 4 just b/c she has a day off. Not your problem, stand your ground!!
daycaremom76 07:24 AM 12-27-2012
I agree with PP stand your ground and explain that she is already charged for New Years under the old rate and that she needs to pay for the additional day. Specially if it's in your contract as a paid holiday. I have a PT SA child that's here before/after school three days a week and when school is out it always messes up the Mom cause she takes off days too. Finally I just made her a chart so she stopped asking so many questions! By letting her slide your only shorting yourself and then when the next holiday comes along she's going to expect the same thing.
bunnyslippers 07:27 AM 12-27-2012
I think I would probably let it go, as it is the first week of the new arrangement and it is a holiday week, etc. If she is one who takes advantage often, I would charge her. Sometimes I think it wokrs to give in on these small issues (with the explanation that it is a one time deal).
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have a child going from 3 days a week to 4 days per week, starting next week. I am open on New Years. Child typically comes Tues, Wed, Thurs and is adding Monday.

My rates are $35/day for 5 days, $40/day for 4 days, $45/day for 3 days. So dcm was paying $135 for 3 days and wrote my check for $135 next week (3 days) but dcb will be coming Mon, NOT Tuesday/New Years since she is off, Wednesday and Thursday. I told her that her rate is now $160 and that she owes an additional $25. It is in my parent handbook that I don't allow switching days and if dcb isn't in attendance they are still required to pay. *I* am sticking to my contract, but dcm was NOT happy. I told her that she is still getting a deal, since I could bill her Monday at drop in rates ($50 and THEN bill the 3 days at $135) which we have done in the past when she needs just one extra day here and there.

WWYD?
I think you did it exactly how you should have.

I have two families who attend a set 3 days per week. I have it in my contract that ALL families must pay for holidays I am closed and if they want to add an additional day due to the holiday, they must pay the add-on or drop in rate.

Your DCM is getting by cheaper the way you are doing it so give her the option of doing it the other way like you said and see what she says....
MarinaVanessa 08:14 AM 12-27-2012
I have the same clause in my policies and I would have stuck my policies also. It's the start of this new schedule and I think that if you would have let her slide so early in the change then you could just be opening yourself up to having this parent think that it's ok. It's good to set the pace and remind her now.

If you are open on New Year's however don't be surprised if the parent decides to bring her child even though she has the day off . If you are closed and it's a paid holiday then you don't have to worry about it.
daycarediva 10:58 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

If you are open on New Year's however don't be surprised if the parent decides to bring her child even though she has the day off . If you are closed and it's a paid holiday then you don't have to worry about it.
I am open New Years only because I don't want to start 2013 by using up my precious paid vacation days on a random Tuesday when I JUST had 3 days off! I don't care if she brings dcb, but if she doesn't, I should be paid for it!

This is a new dcf, (replacing a family that I termed) and they started with 3 days but after 6 weeks Mom says she can't do the (3) 12 hour days and changed her work schedule to (4) 10 hour days. I feel like we JUST went over this at our re-interview 8 weeks ago, they have also been on my waiting list for 6 months and interviewed around then as well. She also asked the same question when she called me last week to ask about my availability on the additional day. I don't want to set a bad precedent that if she asks me nicely, 4 times, I might change my mind, kwim? To take on dcb the additional day I said no to a per diem client, who would have used me Monday since her provider is closed Monday & Tuesday.
Abigail 11:45 AM 12-27-2012
daycare diva, do you have an easy and simple to read and understand contract? Sometimes if you mix your handbook with your contract parents will totally get confused. WHY? They don't want to read it. I have a simple contract with a paragraph or even just two sentences under each category so they can quickly find it. I also handed out a list of 2013 closed holidays that are paid recently.

I had an issue recently with a part time family who I have let change their T/TH to any other two days and messed up back at Thanksgiving where they were going to switch from Thanksgiving, closed day, to an open day. We all got confused and it happened again for this week and last week, but it's all figured out. I need to change the wording in my contract for part time enrollments that days may be changed when approved, but not if it's a closed holiday. That would have solved many issues.
Sprouts 11:55 AM 12-27-2012
Parents are always trying to get over, I'm glad to hear u standed ur ground, if not , you know the saying...give a hand and they take an arm
MamaG 01:14 PM 12-27-2012
You did the right thing. You lost out on money from another family why would you turn around and let her have the day for free? Maybe you should ask her.
spud912 03:45 PM 12-27-2012
In all honesty, I would probably let it slide for that week due to the circumstances , but I totally understand standing your ground! It's probably better what you did!
daycarediva 03:53 PM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by Abigail:
daycare diva, do you have an easy and simple to read and understand contract? Sometimes if you mix your handbook with your contract parents will totally get confused. WHY? They don't want to read it. I have a simple contract with a paragraph or even just two sentences under each category so they can quickly find it. I also handed out a list of 2013 closed holidays that are paid recently.

I had an issue recently with a part time family who I have let change their T/TH to any other two days and messed up back at Thanksgiving where they were going to switch from Thanksgiving, closed day, to an open day. We all got confused and it happened again for this week and last week, but it's all figured out. I need to change the wording in my contract for part time enrollments that days may be changed when approved, but not if it's a closed holiday. That would have solved many issues.
Yes, my contract has an index and is organized. I go over it by topic at interview. I specifically have stated PT'ers cannot switch days, the extra day would be in addition and billed at my drop in rate, and that the tuition is based on the child's contracted days/hours and not based on attendance so payment is still due weither the child comes or not. I sent home a highlighted copy of the parent handbook with the dad this evening and an invoice for the difference due tomorrow at 6pm. We will see!

I also honestly prefer to stop problems early on, so if dcm has a big issue with me sticking to my policies, we can address it immediately.

I understand that dcb hasn't been here long and dcm has already paid for christmas break (she paid for 2 closed days) and now is paying for New Years. I really can't control what time of the year she started, and she signed the contract stating that she had read and agreed to the terms in the parent handbook.
MarinaVanessa 08:37 AM 12-28-2012
Yes, my contract has an index and is organized. I go over it by topic at interview. I specifically have stated PT'ers cannot switch days, the extra day would be in addition and billed at my drop in rate, and that the tuition is based on the child's contracted days/hours and not based on attendance so payment is still due weither the child comes or not.
This is how I do things also. Don't you just love when this issue comes up
daycarediva 11:06 AM 12-28-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
This is how I do things also. Don't you just love when this issue comes up
I do too! I go over it REALLY THOROUGHLY at interview as well. My pt'ers are set days for me to enroll another child, you are paying a PT rate for a SPACE on SET DAYS ONLY.

dcm dropped off the difference in cash on her lunch break, with a little apology note about the mix-up and that she re-read the contract last night and realized her mistake. I just said "That's what the contract is for. It keeps things professional so parents don't think I make up rules as I go! " she was understanding........................and dcb will be here Tuesday.
MarinaVanessa 12:44 PM 12-28-2012
I do too! I go over it REALLY THOROUGHLY at interview as well. My pt'ers are set days for me to enroll another child, you are paying a PT rate for a SPACE on SET DAYS ONLY.

dcm dropped off the difference in cash on her lunch break, with a little apology note about the mix-up and that she re-read the contract last night and realized her mistake. I just said "That's what the contract is for. It keeps things professional so parents don't think I make up rules as I go! " she was understanding........................and dcb will be here Tuesday.
I told you so
daycarediva 02:46 PM 12-28-2012
I figured as well! Doesn't bother me since I have other kids scheduled.
Reply Up