Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Schedules, What's Yours? (Not Dc Schedules With Kids)
LaLa1923 05:45 AM 01-08-2013
I'm curious, what's your schedule? I know there are providers that get personal stuff and dc stuff done during hours. When? What's your cleaning schedule? Do you do this during naps, free play? I ask bc I think I need a better system! On days I only have a few dcks I'm bored to tears! I'm generally an organizer and a planner, so I defiantly need to get it together!

Ty!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 01-08-2013
What is this schedule thing you are talking about?

I have ZERO schedule. I do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Sometimes I do things better than other times but it is what it is.

I do NOT facilitate activities with any of my DCK's. I am available and willing to help out and/or play with them but I do NOT do any type of organized activity on a regular basis.

I also do not have the luxury of doing anything personal such as my own laundry or cleaning since I am not at home but I do get the things done at daycare that needs to be done.

Paperwork ALWAYS needs to be done so that is never ending.

Otherwise, I have PLENTY of things that keep me occupied during the day.

My grandma used to say that bored is only a matter of perception. I have way too many things going on outside my head and inside my head that I don't think I am capable of being bored.
Lianne 07:50 AM 01-08-2013
Mondays tend to be a quieter day for us. The kids are happy to play on their own after busy weekends so I tend to do my own stuff then. I vacuum, rotate laundry, switch out the bulletin board sets on my walls, etc. Whatever needs to get done, I do. But I'll do what I can/have time for the rest of the week, too. Heck, I've even reorganized my garage while the kids played in the adjoining yard. I don't really have a schedule for housework. I've tried but then I get resentful about it because it HAS to be done 'cause the schedule says so, even if I don't feel like it. I'm much happier addressing the cleaning as I notice something needs attention. If I notice the baseboards need to be wiped down then within the next day or two I get it done and feel like I've accomplished a goal.

I do quieter things at naptime like paperwork, dinner prep, folding laundry, etc. Again, I do things as they need to be done

All that being said, I don't do a lot of planned activities and crafts. I do some, mostly simple stuff because I have a young group but if I decide to do an activity, I do one that day. Thats it. This morning, for example, I sat with the kids (16, 18 and 24mos) for 20mins this morning pushing pompoms through a hole in a box. It was simple, held their attention for a decent amount of time for their ages and they've been playing happily on their own since. I've surfed online, made a phone call and reorganized my desk drawers.
NeedaVaca 07:56 AM 01-08-2013
I have my daycare space right by my laundry room so I always get to work on laundry throughout the day if needed. During nap I sweep floors, prep for afternoon snack & also my family dinner, dishes, pay bills...I also work with my DS on preschool activities during nap time. I don't have a set schedule I just do what I can each day.
LaLa1923 07:58 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
Mondays tend to be a quieter day for us. The kids are happy to play on their own after busy weekends so I tend to do my own stuff then. I vacuum, rotate laundry, switch out the bulletin board sets on my walls, etc. Whatever needs to get done, I do. But I'll do what I can/have time for the rest of the week, too. Heck, I've even reorganized my garage while the kids played in the adjoining yard. I don't really have a schedule for housework. I've tried but then I get resentful about it because it HAS to be done 'cause the schedule says so, even if I don't feel like it. I'm much happier addressing the cleaning as I notice something needs attention. If I notice the baseboards need to be wiped down then within the next day or two I get it done and feel like I've accomplished a goal.

I do quieter things at naptime like paperwork, dinner prep, folding laundry, etc. Again, I do things as they need to be done

All that being said, I don't do a lot of planned activities and crafts. I do some, mostly simple stuff because I have a young group but if I decide to do an activity, I do one that day. Thats it. This morning, for example, I sat with the kids (16, 18 and 24mos) for 20mins this morning pushing pompoms through a hole in a box. It was simple, held their attention for a decent amount of time for their ages and they've been playing happily on their own since. I've surfed online, made a phone call and reorganized my desk drawers.

I like the pom pom idea. Just a box with a hole?
LaLa1923 08:00 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have ZERO schedule. I do what needs to be done when it needs to be done. Sometimes I do things better than other times but it is what it is.

I do NOT facilitate activities with any of my DCK's. I am available and willing to help out and/or play with them but I do NOT do any type of organized activity on a regular basis.

I also do not have the luxury of doing anything personal such as my own laundry or cleaning since I am not at home but I do get the things done at daycare that needs to be done.

My grandma used to say that bored is only a matter of perception. I have way too many things going on outside my head and inside my head that I don't think I am capable of being bored.
Lol. I guess I was trying to avoid the groups schedule and ask what the provider does.

I feel like I have a never ending list of stuff to do........but I don't always feel like cleaning. Ugh
Daycarelady1979 08:48 AM 01-08-2013
I clean the whole downstairs (daycare area & living space are one in the same) on Sundays.

I *try* to get up an hour before the 1st kid gets here to shower & have some quiet time to myself. This is when I have my coffee & facebook time & finish up any last minute cleaning that needs to be done.

My day is almost the same at BlackCat's except I am working from home so I do get lots of laundry & personal stuff done during the day. Luckily my laundry area is in the kitchen so I can work on it & still be with the kids.

Paperwork, phone calls, etc I just do when I can. The only real "schedule" I have here is our meal times & our nap times. The rest of the day, anything goes. If I have errands to run & I can fit everyone in my van, I go. If I want to take a walk & I have enough strollers & hands to help everyone, we go. If it's a lazy day, the kids don't feel well or I don't feel well, sometimes we just have a movie day.

I tend to just go about my normal daily life just as I would if I were home with my own 2 kids. My downstairs is fairly small so I can just about do anything I need to & still be within sight of the kids...and they are LOUD so it's never an issue of whether or not I can hear them

I do my grocery shopping on the weekends. I pay bills whenever I remember to sit down and pay them. I schedule appointments around my husband's work/sleep schedule or my own schedule if I have a day that I get off early enough.
Meeko 09:09 AM 01-08-2013
My son and I are the "official" daycare workers. But my husband has all the clearances etc and helps out a lot (he's retired Air Force). On Friday's, they deal with all daycare related stuff and I take the day to take care of anything else I need to do.

My hubby is a wonderful housekeeper and does the laundry etc. But there are things I want to do and never seem to have time for until now. My Friday's off mean I can wax my kitchen floor, not just mop it. I can re-organize a cupboard rather than just general clean etc.

I have been able to finish sewing projects, make phone calls in peace, get up to date on paperwork and so on. I love Fridays!
Play Care 09:35 AM 01-08-2013
I have a schedule for everything I am not someone who was "born organized" and need it to stay on top of things. I do incorporate my housework into my dc day (every job has it's perks, IMO) but mostly because my dc is in my home things need to be done - dusting, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, etc. every day. I have kids who mouth things and crawlers so the floors need to be free of hazards and clean enough so they are not going home sticky with filth
I don't get bored though, there is always something to do. When I worked outside the home there were always job duties that I didn't want to do, but you do it anyway.
Willow 10:06 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This exactly

Well, except for I do have the luxury of knocking out things at home at the same time.

I sweep when the floor needs sweeping, vacuum the floor when the floor needs vacuuming, do the dishes when people are done eating, do laundry when a basket fills up, grocery shop when I start running low on things. Just like I would during off hours or if all of these little people were just naturally a part of my family. If they were I wouldn't hold off on doing dishes until they were in bed at night, I'd simply do them after lunch and expect them to occupy themselves while I knocked it out. If I have paperwork to do, or a phone call to make, same thing. Only thing I usually save for after daycare kids go home is caustic/deep cleaning....scrubbing bathrooms, washing windows, wiping down walls that sort of stuff.

I am too oppositional to actually schedule my after hours cleaning. I'd look at the list and then likely go sit down and have a glass of wine in protest instead. No list means the mind game continues that I have the OPTION of doing this that or the other rather than the duty
daycarediva 10:10 AM 01-08-2013
I don't know about everyone else, but my state regs limit the amount of cleaning I can do with dck's here.

During nap I....

sweep, mop, dust & vacuum, clean the bathroom (really well), finish/catch up on paperwork, send any emails and/or return phone calls that need it. That is all daily.

as needed I also...
balance my checkbooks, both business and personal and budget
put away laundry that I wash, dry and fold in the evenings

fridays I clean and reorganize my daycare playroom, including all of the toys, windows, etc and during free play on Fridays I make a menu for my family for the following week, and make shopping lists for both the daycare menu and my family menu, get craft supplies ready for the following week, etc.

HTH some, if I get behind, my dh pitches in quite a bit.
Hazel 10:28 AM 01-08-2013
hmmm.... schedule... well nothing concrete...
but some things that I do regularly:

*I drop my DH off at work in the AM and have 1 hour before DCK come, so I will vaccuum the downstairs area rugs, have my coffee, check email...

*while they are eating their breakfasts Ill wash the dishes and clean up the kitchen a bit.

*during lunch I'll clean up after the kids as they make the mess, so that its not SO bad when they are done.

*My naptime is 1 to 3 pm, but I work individually with 2 of the older kids,, doing things that I cant do with the toddlers... so 45 mins with the 5 yo and then 20 mins with the 3 year old (they are on their mat watching a movie when its NOT their turn).

*the rest of nap time I'll wipe down the bathroom, rotate the laundry, mop the kitchen floor, dust the living room, organize my paperwork, fold laundry.... pretty much whatever needs to be done and CAN be done in the time I have. I will also try to find a second to eat something (I often forget and then get a headache by 4pm, wondering why!!)

*in the afternoon during snack I will often put out trash (outside kitchen door), wash up lunch dishes and start prepping stuff for dinner.

*Instead of playtime in the afternoon, we now have a dance party!!! lots of moving and groving to get out those wiggles (too cold to go out here in the afternoon, no sun in my yard by then) and then we dont have a mess to clean up! Mon thru thursday we end the day playing a game... dominos, toss your cookies, puzzles.... stuff like that.

*On fridays the kids help me wipe down the toys! I get buckets of soapy water and rags and they have fun!! Anything that needs bleach gets done on the weekend, but they wipe the little people houses, large trucks ect.

I guess thats kind of my schedule, but its not set in stone and I usually go with the flow!!!! This just seems how it works out most of the time. I have a 3 month old starting soon, so Im sure that will throw nap time outta whack for a while!!!! LOL
Play Care 10:32 AM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I don't know about everyone else, but my state regs limit the amount of cleaning I can do with dck's here.

During nap I....

sweep, mop, dust & vacuum, clean the bathroom (really well), finish/catch up on paperwork, send any emails and/or return phone calls that need it. That is all daily.

as needed I also...
balance my checkbooks, both business and personal and budget
put away laundry that I wash, dry and fold in the evenings

fridays I clean and reorganize my daycare playroom, including all of the toys, windows, etc and during free play on Fridays I make a menu for my family for the following week, and make shopping lists for both the daycare menu and my family menu, get craft supplies ready for the following week, etc.

HTH some, if I get behind, my dh pitches in quite a bit.
Mine does, but mostly with regard to not supervising the children or having cleaning chemicals out. So I include the kids when possible and only clean with safe things like vinegar and water.
kitykids3 11:05 AM 01-08-2013
Before the day starts I prep lunch food, vacuum and fill bleach bottles,etc.

During nap is dishes, recordkeeping, and occasionally mopping if no one sleeping in dining room.

After work is emptying garbage cans, cleaning bathroom real good.

I sweep after each meal/snack and wipe everything down and disinfect as I go.

My laundry and personal cleaning upstairs gets done when I get time and have energy after work and on weekends.
MarinaVanessa 11:08 AM 01-08-2013
I don't exactly have a schedule, more like a list of what needs to be done on what days.

I use FlyLady to organize when I have to do what so I get my daily, weekly, monthly and seasonal things done. I know that on Mondays in addition to my daily stuff I have to wipe the baseboards and thoroughly clean the bathrooms for example. On Today I dust for cobwebs and sanitize all knobs and door handles etc.

But by no means do I ever go by a schedule, It gets done when it gets done .

I have a hard enough time just trying to get meals, snacks and nap started on time
Nickel 11:58 AM 01-08-2013
Because I have pets I have to vacuum and dust before my first child even wakes up. Then I'm here with the kiddos in the morning, maybe changing out laundry or sweeping the kitchen floor. I have an open floor plan for the main areas, so that works out. I can even get dishes done when I wish to do so. During nap, I clean up lunch, wipe down the table and then I take a break myself. In the afternoons I fold laundry and then after the kiddos leave I prep for dinner. BUT I also have a cleaning lady that comes once a week to deep clean the bathrooms, kitchen and office. Bedrooms get done on the weekend as well as sanitizing toys, etc
LK5kids 12:00 PM 01-08-2013
Hmmmmm......I have a schedule for the day for the kids and I'm one that loves the teaching part so we do lots of fun, age appropriate activities.
We have bought a house just for child care, so it's a little different set up.

I do some breakfast or lunch prep work before the kids come. I only opened a while ago and have been away from FCC for 15 yrs. I am offering a homemade, whole foods type of menu and I've been working on transitioning to that.

I exercise before they come.
I sweep once a day
Dishes From breakfast and lunch after lunch-getting a dish washer soon
I don't do much personal personal stuff during the day-I relax during nap after dishes are done and things cleaned up..I need it!

Oh, I do paperwork duing nap (or here and there if i have a spare moment) and I have homemade snacks a few times per week and do that during nap.

Groceries are bought on Monday night so I don't have to do it on the weekend.

I clean the bathroom each morning before they come. I have always been a clean as I go person and squeeze in cleaning here and there instead of all out cleaning during large blocks of time.

I sanitize toys on low kid days or one bin per day during nap.
wdmmom 12:11 PM 01-08-2013
Monday: Laundry day, start at 7am and I'm at the mercy of the timer of the washer and dryer. Switch loads as quickly as possible and fold all during nap.

Tuesday: My office day. Paperwork, emails, daycare.com, etc.

Wednesday: Clean the bathrooms day.

Thursday: Vacuum stairs, sweep and mop all floors.

Friday: Read during nap, make grocery list for weekend, etc.
blandino 12:35 PM 01-08-2013
I have a strong need for organization and schedule, so for me - it is a must to have a designated time/day for tasks.

Monday is a free-play/ movie day at the daycare. I do all my lesson planning type things during the day (prepare crafts, get stories, music, activities ready).

I designate Monday night as my "work late" day. I do all of the DEEP cleaning, real floor washing (I wet mop during the week). All of my daycare related tasks (statements, billing, etc). I also do all my daycare shopping on Monday nights (I grocery shop monthly for the daycare, but milk and produce still need to be purchased weekly).

During the day, I am mostly involved with the kids - and since the daycare is not in our personal living space (and soon to be a different house) - I can't accomplish any household chores. I do all the daycare chores as they need to be done. I save all dishes for nap time - and use nap to accomplish all other tasks (daily reports, organizing, and picking up toys).
Lianne 03:33 PM 01-08-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I like the pom pom idea. Just a box with a hole?
I took a shoe box, covered it with blank newsprint and punched holes in the top. I then coloured around the hole with a different colour for each hole. The kids, with my guidance, were to push the pompoms through the right coloured holes.
Reply Up