Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Getting Kids to Eat Vegetables
kimmills 02:41 AM 08-28-2013
It is so difficult to eat veggies. Tried some fancy stuff but after a while back to square one. These 10 veggies are required for health and well-being. How do I get them to eat those without being a bad mommy?

http://www.littlekingdomchildcare.co...-and-toddlers/
Laurel 04:28 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by kimmills:
It is so difficult to eat veggies. Tried some fancy stuff but after a while back to square one. These 10 veggies are required for health and well-being. How do I get them to eat those without being a bad mommy?

http://www.littlekingdomchildcare.co...-and-toddlers/
Mine used to eat them great but got picky as they got a bit older. One mom of an infant brought me one of those pouches the other day and I thought why couldn't I give it to the toddlers? They like to squeeze anything out of a pouch.

I am going to try it. I'll let you know how it works. They really like the applesauce ones but I stopped buying them because they are expensive. But to get some veggies in them I might at least try the infant pouches.

Laurel
Familycare71 06:38 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Mine used to eat them great but got picky as they got a bit older. One mom of an infant brought me one of those pouches the other day and I thought why couldn't I give it to the toddlers? They like to squeeze anything out of a pouch.

I am going to try it. I'll let you know how it works. They really like the applesauce ones but I stopped buying them because they are expensive. But to get some veggies in them I might at least try the infant pouches.

Laurel
I had a dcb with ASD. He has a hard time with texture but was missing some components in his eating. Mom brought some of the veggie pouches (for everyone- positive peer pressure ). I put some on everyone's plate and called it flavored applesauce! Everyone ate it . There were comments of: this doesn't taste like our applesauce and I said it was a special kind with other flavors.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 08-28-2013
I read posts all the time about picky eaters and I am eternally grateful that my DCK's are as good as they are.

ALL of mine eat veggies.

This week alone, they have consumed 2 gallons of Cherry tomatoes, a dozen cucumbers, several green peppers, peas, 2 zucchini, 2 heads of broccoli and 3 heads of cauliflower.......ALL from my garden.

I can't pick the veggies fast enough for them....

During the winter months, they are the same way.....like they are starved for vegetables.

I have 2 families that I know for a fact, do not eat a single vegetable in their homes.

One DCM says she hates ALL vegetables so she doesn't bother making them ()

Funny, her 2 kids (ages 15 months and 3 yrs) eat the MOST veggies here....
JoseyJo 11:14 AM 08-28-2013
We have a lot of good vege eaters here too. Hubby and I LOVE veges and make a big show of how much we like eating them. Lots of times we go back for seconds and make sure to say something in passing about how we have to get some more because it is just sooo good!

We have a few picky eaters, we make it a non issue for them. Everyone gets the same amount of the same foods on their plates, if you don't want to eat it don't. When they say "I don't like that!" I tell them " you don't have to tell me, you don't have to eat it if you don't like it"- when they ask for seconds I just make sure they tried everything and if not I say "after you eat some of X and Y you can have more of Z"
melilley 11:21 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel
They have the pouches for 12 mo+ too! I get them for my 13 mo. old son for when we go out to eat or travel. They are expensive and he always wants more..lol You can also now buy the pouches and make it yourself. I haven't really looked into them so I'm not sure how they work.
JoseyJo 11:34 AM 08-28-2013
Just looked at the link list and a few ideas of how my little like these foods:

Cauliflower-
Replacing the potatoes in a potato salad (cut in little pieces and lightly steam and just replace in your favorite recipe) or added to Cheesy Chicken rice- if you cut small it looks just like the rice!

Carrots- raw sticks to dip in ranch or hummus or lightly steamed w/ a sweet asian sauce.

Sweet Potatoes- we make sweet potato muffins: use pureed sweet potatoes to replace the oil and sugar in a standard muffin recipe. Also good as sweet potato fries!

Chick Peas- one of my favorites! We eat them roasted (they are like peanuts), as hummus, and added to any kind of rice dish.

Asparagus and broccoli- call them trees, lightly steam and serve w/ ranch.

Beets - I love them, but not the kids, anyone else have ideas on how to serve?

Pumpkins- in muffins like the sweet potato, also surprisingly very good in chili!

Avocado- guacamole, and sliced very thin on hamburgers and sandwiches, or mashed and spread thin over the bread.
Laurel 01:30 PM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I had a dcb with ASD. He has a hard time with texture but was missing some components in his eating. Mom brought some of the veggie pouches (for everyone- positive peer pressure ). I put some on everyone's plate and called it flavored applesauce! Everyone ate it . There were comments of: this doesn't taste like our applesauce and I said it was a special kind with other flavors.
Good idea! I think I'll just give them the pouch to squeeze and eat...maybe for snack.

Laurel
Laurel 01:31 PM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
They have the pouches for 12 mo+ too! I get them for my 13 mo. old son for when we go out to eat or travel. They are expensive and he always wants more..lol You can also now buy the pouches and make it yourself. I haven't really looked into them so I'm not sure how they work.
Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks, I'll look for them!

Laurel
Tags:vegetables, won't eat - vegetables
Reply Up