Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Part Timer Question
AuntTami 04:12 PM 10-24-2014
I had a phone interview today with a referral from my current DCM. She has a 7 month old little boy and is interested in part time care. She said she needs care from 6:30/7:00 to 4:00/5:00 and she really needed someone who was flexible enough to understand that some days it would be 4:00 and some days it would be 5:00 or even later, but never after 6:00. She needs Wednesday, Thursday every week, and every other Friday...I was a little hesitant at that schedule since it's only 2 days one week, but I told her this wouldn't be a problem. I only have 1 DCB in here right now and could use the extra money. I know, I'm probably setting myself up for failure...

I told her I would probably charge her based on the child's actual hourly attendance, at $4.00 per hour(My weekly rate is $150 for fulltime, which equals to $3.75/hour)

Should I charge her hourly, or should I actually charge her a flat rate for each week? I guess I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is as I've only been advertising for full timers. I don't MIND the part timers, it's just that I havn't figured out a way to make ends meet financially with just part time kids in here.

Any help would be appreciated!
melilley 04:27 PM 10-24-2014
I charge part time a daily rate on a scale. The hours she needs are for a full day, even if they came the latest time and picked up at the earliest time.
I also require a 2 day minimum. For 2 days, I charge $70, for 3 $105, for 4, $130, 5 is $140.

If you do decide to take them, I would be sure to let them know that in the future, you may need to replace them for a full time family. Once you get more kids, you may want a full time family instead of part time.

I just had to let 2 really part time families that I loved go, to take on a full time family. It sucked, but financially I had to.
KidGrind 04:46 PM 10-24-2014
You are already setting yourself up to be taken advantage of.

Based on what you’ve told me this is what I’d do. I am pretending I am nice like you.

She pays in advance always.
She will pay a flat rate for 5 days every two weeks.
The days cannot be switch due to holidays or absences.
She will ALWAYS pay for 5 days whether the child attends or not.
If she needs additional days you must have the request 48 hours in advance to considerate it. She MUST pay you at drop off for any additional day in CASH. The rate is $65 for any extra day.

The red flag is DCM thinks YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND.

I would also tell her you close at 5:00 PM. Any PRE-APPROVED by YOU pick-up between 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM will require an additional $10 fee in advance. If not scheduled your late fee is $1 per minute.

I’d charge her $200 every two weeks (per your rate) 7 AM - 5 PM.
Hazel 06:36 PM 10-24-2014
My parents don't have a contracted time. I am open 7:30 to 5:30. I do required them to have a set weekly schedule tho with a 3 day minimum. I also ask them to try and stick to a approximate drop off and pick up. If they are coming later or picking up earlier they always let me know.
I charge by the day so 3 days is $105, 4 days $140 and 5 days is $175. I don't offer part days ever or an hourly rate. If someone needed 3 days every other week I would suggest to them that they take a 3 day weekly schedule. This way their child has a spot every Friday and also bc you never know, they may have to increase their work schedule, they could use that day to run errands, have a chance to do things they normally couldn't do with working and caring for a child. I had a family that only needed 4 days but took 5 bc for the above reasons. She ended up have her time at her practice increase to 5 days within the first year here.
AuntTami 08:34 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
You are already setting yourself up to be taken advantage of.

Based on what you’ve told me this is what I’d do. I am pretending I am nice like you.

She pays in advance always.
She will pay a flat rate for 5 days every two weeks.
The days cannot be switch due to holidays or absences.
She will ALWAYS pay for 5 days whether the child attends or not.
If she needs additional days you must have the request 48 hours in advance to considerate it. She MUST pay you at drop off for any additional day in CASH. The rate is $65 for any extra day.

The red flag is DCM thinks YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND.

I would also tell her you close at 5:00 PM. Any PRE-APPROVED by YOU pick-up between 5:00 PM - 6:00 PM will require an additional $10 fee in advance. If not scheduled your late fee is $1 per minute.

I’d charge her $200 every two weeks (per your rate) 7 AM - 5 PM.
I figured I was setting myself up for failure, but can you elaborate as to why/what I did wrong? I'm not being defensive, I sincerely want to know so I can do better in the future.

Would it be appropriate that I suggest 3 days a week @ $120 a week, and then as mentioned, she will always have that extra Friday to do other stuff, and then I'll offer her the option of 5 days in two weeks for $200 and any additional days at $65(why that number KidGrind? Again, curious) plus 48 hours notice if she doesn't want to have 3 days every week?..Seems logical to go with plan #1 but that's just me...
KidGrind 08:46 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I figured I was setting myself up for failure, but can you elaborate as to why/what I did wrong? I'm not being defensive, I sincerely want to know so I can do better in the future.

Would it be appropriate that I suggest 3 days a week @ $120 a week, and then as mentioned, she will always have that extra Friday to do other stuff, and then I'll offer her the option of 5 days in two weeks for $200 and any additional days at $65(why that number KidGrind? Again, curious) plus 48 hours notice if she doesn't want to have 3 days every week?..Seems logical to go with plan #1 but that's just me...
It seems others have shut her down in the past. She’s told them I need care from 7 - 5. Yet, she’s dropped off early and picked up late.

She seems to be trying to cover her bases with you so she can drop off early and pick up late without extra fees. Basically you’ll be doing extra for free. Now if you don’t mind working for free, do what works for you of course.

I tend to get bitter when someone is taking advantage of me. So I just don’t let it happen more than once per person. LOL!

The 48 hour notice is only for if she wants an extra day. If is to ensure you have room for her request, if you even want to work an extra for her.

You definitely should make her pay for the days she wants guaranteed care. You keep a steady income this way. Her child takes up a spot. Again, it’s your business do as you please.

My experience as an FCC Provider is a little different from the many of the ladies and gentlemen on this site. For several years I was a Special Event/Substitute Provider. Most providers burn themselves out trying to please , be flexible, be nice and be affordable.

You can offer a service and make your business work to your benefit. Set up policies, enforce them from the get go and you’ll suffer less.
AuntTami 08:51 PM 10-24-2014
It seems others have shut her down in the past. She’s told them I need care from 7 - 5. Yet, she’s dropped off early and picked up late.

She seems to be trying to cover her bases with you so she can drop off early and pick up late without extra fees. Basically you’ll be doing extra for free. Now if you don’t mind working for free, do what works for you of course.

I tend to get bitter when someone is taking advantage of me. So I just don’t let it happen more than once per person. LOL!

The 48 hour notice is only for if she wants an extra day. If is to ensure you have room for her request, if you even want to work an extra for her.

You definitely should make her pay for the days she wants guaranteed care. You keep a steady income this way. Her child takes up a spot. Again, it’s your business do as you please.

My experience as an FCC Provider is a little different from the many of the ladies and gentlemen on this site. For several years I was a Special Event/Substitute Provider. Most providers burn themselves out trying to please , be flexible, be nice and be affordable.

You can offer a service and make your business work to your benefit. Set up policies, enforce them from the get go and you’ll suffer less.
Dropping off early and picking up late was one of the reasons I told her I would probably do hourly...Then I'm NOT working for free, as it's hourly, but that doesn't make for a steady income either. I guess that would be where 7-5 regular schedule comes in, and anything earlier or later has an additional fee that needs to be paid that day.

I appreciate your help! You're knowledgeable and very up front with things and I appreciate that. I'm a little dense sometimes, so I like straight forward, honest answers. Haha
KidGrind 08:58 PM 10-24-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
Dropping off early and picking up late was one of the reasons I told her I would probably do hourly...Then I'm NOT working for free, as it's hourly, but that doesn't make for a steady income either. I guess that would be where 7-5 regular schedule comes in, and anything earlier or later has an additional fee that needs to be paid that day.

I appreciate your help! You're knowledgeable and very up front with things and I appreciate that. I'm a little dense sometimes, so I like straight forward, honest answers. Haha
I highly doubt you’re dense. Let me address one other issue, if the child is sick parents call the night before or morning of if you’re lucky. You’ve lost income. You’ve saved a spot for her. You won’t be able to fill it last minute.

Also she is paying in advance, for the hourly. Give her a flat rate for two weeks, you know it’s hourly but get your money up front for the basic care. Early drop off get it at pick up. If she doesn’t have at drop off she has to wait until 7 am. IT WILL TEACH HER YOU MEAN BUSINESS. You know you are making $4 per hour. Yet any extra should be at a higher rate to detour her from abusing it. $4 per 15 minutes something like that….

I just made the number higher than your $40 rate. I pulled a number that would make her hopefully think twice about adding extra days and if she does it’s a little extra for you. Many of the providers here have a no more than 9.5 or 10 hours of care per day rule.
AuntTami 09:15 PM 10-24-2014
I highly doubt you’re dense. Let me address one other issue, if the child is sick parents call the night before or morning of if you’re lucky. You’ve lost income. You’ve saved a spot for her. You won’t be able to fill it last minute.

Also she is paying in advance, for the hourly. Give her a flat rate for two weeks, you know it’s hourly but get your money up front for the basic care. Early drop off get it at pick up. If she doesn’t have at drop off she has to wait until 7 am. IT WILL TEACH HER YOU MEAN BUSINESS. You know you are making $4 per hour. Yet any extra should be at a higher rate to detour her from abusing it. $4 per 15 minutes something like that….

I just made the number higher than your $40 rate. I pulled a number that would make her hopefully think twice about adding extra days and if she does it’s a little extra for you. Many of the providers here have a no more than 9.5 or 10 hours of care per day rule.
So...
Option 1: $200 every other week for 5 days, always the same days, for 7am-5pm. Any earlier than 7am or later than 5pm will be $4 per 15 minutes, due at early drop off or late pick up respectively. Any additional days needed require 48 hours notice, and are $65 per day.
--OR---
Option 2: $240 every other week for 3 days per week/always same days 7am-5pm with the same early/late drop off rules applying and additional days at $65

Is that correct? Should I offer the second option?
Tags:part time
Reply Up