Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Updating Policies
DaveA 11:30 AM 11-06-2014
This week I passed out an updated contract/ policy handbook since I raised rates effective Jan. & changed/ clarified a few things from previous policies.

So far so good- no DCP tantrums and any questions have actually been reasonable.

Hopefully all will go smoothly.

The one I was worried about the most was about how I handle my winter break. I used to just close 1 week in January. Now I will close either for a full week or 2 long weekends totaling 5 days close. So far the response has been positive.
Annalee 11:43 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
This week I passed out an updated contract/ policy handbook since I raised rates effective Jan. & changed/ clarified a few things from previous policies.

So far so good- no DCP tantrums and any questions have actually been reasonable.

The one I was worried about the most was about how I handle my winter break. I used to just close 1 week in January. Now I will close either for a full week or 2 long weekends totaling 5 days close. So far the response has been positive.
Once you get the closed days in the contract and keep it up, clients just roll with it....I have not renewed my contracts for 2015 yet, but had a client come in this morning asking for the days for next year..( she is office manager at a dr office) so she could go ahead and add it to her calendar so I just gave her the list from this year. I close all school holidays along with Thursday & Friday of Spring/Fall break....and take week before Labor Day and Dec. 24 through Jan 1st each year. I close Th/Fri for spring/fall daycare conferences. I still leave room for 5 personal days to be used separate or consecutive and then leave room for emergency days. I take extra day before memorial day and july 4th. It sounds like alot and it is but I worked the first 10 years EVERY WEEK DAY and let parents pick up when they wanted to.....Been here 22 years and I now work 6 to 4:30 and get paid 52 weeks a year.....my job is much easier now because now even the referrals I interview know upfront from previous clients how I run things here.
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 11-06-2014
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:

Nice to see or rather not see an all out mutiny over contract updates/changes for once.

I've adjusted some of my full weeks off to being long weekends instead too.

Its win-win for me because I bill by the week so I get the benefit of being paid AND having a couple long weekends (which I feel are more productive than full weeks off sometimes) AND the ability to keep the DCK's in routine by not taking too much time off at once.
Hazel 12:42 PM 11-06-2014
You're very lucky! I only take paid scheduled holidays (they are in my contract) and any unscheduled days that I close (personal, sick or vacation) are unpaid. I do not give discounts if the children are absent for any reason. All weeks are to be paid for in full for their scheduled days.
This year, since I haven't taken a sick day in 12 years, a personal day in 3 years or a vacation in 8 years, I decided that since I am closed Christmas Eve and Christmas day (both scheduled paid holidays) that I would take a personal day for Friday the 26th to give myself a much needed break.
I've already had people questioning me about having to pay for the two holidays since I am closed and unpaid the third day.
Seriously? If I was open that Friday, would they question having to pay for the holidays? MOST of my parents have off on the 24th and 25th anyway! I go over my contract with them very carefully at every interview. Each section of the contract has a place for them to sign, so I know they read it (or HOPE THEY DID). I only take the major holidays off as it is (nothing for easter or anything since it falls on a Sunday) and really do not feel like explaining to each and every parent how this will work....
The week of December 22nd will be discounted by ONE DAY as I am taking a personal day on the 26th. The holidays are paid.
I thought this explaination was pretty clear.
Apparently not. I have very reasonable rates, provide lunch and snacks, rarely charge fees for occasional early drop off or late pick up (unless it's excessive or a regular thing). What more do they want from me? Oh! I know! Work for free! Lol
melilley 03:26 PM 11-06-2014

I agree with Annalee, once you establish what you want in your contract, parents seem to roll with it. If not, bye bye...lol
Josiegirl 03:35 PM 11-06-2014
Glad it went over without a hitch! I have to redo my contract and policies. Course I've been saying that for maybe 2 years now. Just call me Ms. Procrastinator.
DaveA 12:36 PM 11-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Nice to see or rather not see an all out mutiny over contract updates/changes for once.

I've adjusted some of my full weeks off to being long weekends instead too.

Its win-win for me because I bill by the week so I get the benefit of being paid AND having a couple long weekends (which I feel are more productive than full weeks off sometimes) AND the ability to keep the DCK's in routine by not taking too much time off at once.
I've got half of them back already. No bad responses.

I used to just do one week in January because we have a timeshare in Orlando. If we didn't use it I just spent the week in my shop. We've had it for years and it's easy to trade a week in Florida in January, so if we want to go we can pick any time of year anymore. I like the option to do the long weekends. This year I can add another "travel" knife show to my schedule (like it was hard to persuade my wife to go to Vegas for the weekend )and go with my wife to her first marathon of the year. Parents are saying it's easier to take a couple of days here and there than it is to take a week off or find alternate care for a week.

Reply Up