Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>piranha attack
NoMoreJuice! 11:29 AM 10-01-2015
http://www.9news.com/story/news/nati...down/73141176/

Holy cow! I've had some chompers in the past, but it looks like a group of piranha tried to eat this baby!
Reply
sharlan 11:41 AM 10-01-2015
There is no way that was an "ACCIDENT".

One bite, ok, maybe, but not 27. The children were not being supervised. There is no way a child could bite that many times before an adult could get to the child if the adult had eyes or ears on the children.
Reply
nanglgrl 11:44 AM 10-01-2015
I don't think she's helping herself by saying she was right there as the 3 month old was bitten 27 times. If she was out of the room it would be neglect but I would think saying you were right there could make the charges worse. We all know children can bite quickly but 27 times? A 3 month old? All over the face and legs? Was she letting it happen? 10-12 kids on a daily basis and claims she had no idea she had to be licensed? Now she expresses interest in being licensed? No amount of training or oversite could help this woman.
Reply
BabyMonkeys 11:52 AM 10-01-2015
How does this happen? I have a biter. He's 21m and been my shadow for months because his go to move when frustrated is to bite. He's almost 2. He gets frustrated a lot. I can see a baby getting bitten 3 or 4 times (and that's stretching it) before the daycare provider can intervene, but 27? Absurd. Called within minutes of finding the bite marks? Are you trying to tell me that the infant didn't scream the first 15-20 times he was bitten?

I got myself in trouble yesterday for calling abuse without knowing the circumstances In this instance....totally calling neglect. Just the amount of time it takes for a child to literally open and close his mouth 27 times, the provider should have been close enough to do something to stop it.
Reply
littletots 11:53 AM 10-01-2015
Sad indeed. Wasn't there similar case with large number of bites? I seem to remember reading it. At first I thought this same the same case but the other case was about a year ago.
Reply
Silly Songs 12:04 PM 10-01-2015
I saw that story the other day. I hope the little one is going to be alright. That is absolutely ridiculous that the provider claims it happened as it did. I hope she is fined and never allowed to be a provider again !
Reply
mommyneedsadayoff 12:24 PM 10-01-2015
are you kidding me!?!?
Reply
Unregistered 02:16 PM 10-01-2015
That baby would have been screaming bloody murder so she should have came running from where ever she was. And if the child bit bit really fast there is still no way that many times.they had to be left unattended for some time and she probably heard crying and did nothing to get to them
Reply
daycare 02:45 PM 10-01-2015
I can't help but think about her saying she has two other people working there with her.

so what were all of them doing while this was taking place. That baby looked like it was bitten by a dog, not a child.

UGH. people like her give us a bad name.....this is horrible and I hope that the parents press charges so sad for the little baby.
Reply
Unregistered 03:10 PM 10-01-2015
I think she put the baby with the biter in a room together for nap, with the door closed. He might have been a baby that cried a lot so they didn't think anything. They were busy getting the lunch ready, and no one checked. What I'm thinking really happened.

So scary, and I thought I read the other child was 3. A child that aggressive should be a big concern to the parents, that's not normal imo a child did all that so many times.
Reply
SilverSabre25 04:20 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I can't help but think about her saying she has two other people working there with her.

so what were all of them doing while this was taking place. That baby looked like it was bitten by a dog, not a child.

UGH. people like her give us a bad name.....this is horrible and I hope that the parents press charges so sad for the little baby.
no those are definitely human bite marks. I've seen plenty since my son turned 9 months and started biting. Thankfully he stopped doing it regularly when he turned 3.
Reply
daycare 04:38 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
no those are definitely human bite marks. I've seen plenty since my son turned 9 months and started biting. Thankfully he stopped doing it regularly when he turned 3.
either way it's not ok that the provider let it happen that many times. so horrible.
Reply
stephanie 06:26 PM 10-01-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think she put the baby with the biter in a room together for nap, with the door closed. He might have been a baby that cried a lot so they didn't think anything. They were busy getting the lunch ready, and no one checked. What I'm thinking really happened.

So scary, and I thought I read the other child was 3. A child that aggressive should be a big concern to the parents, that's not normal imo a child did all that so many times.
And if the biter was 3, how would he even have access to the baby during nap? The baby would've been in a pnp and the boy on a mat/cot. The provider(s) never heard the biter climbing into the pnp?

I agree, those don't look like human bites at all. Everything about this story is horrible.
Reply
Josiegirl 04:07 AM 10-02-2015
Wow, unbelievable. Something was seriously wrong there. I hope they get to the bottom of it, poor lil baby.
Reply
Play Care 04:10 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think she put the baby with the biter in a room together for nap, with the door closed. He might have been a baby that cried a lot so they didn't think anything. They were busy getting the lunch ready, and no one checked. What I'm thinking really happened.

So scary, and I thought I read the other child was 3. A child that aggressive should be a big concern to the parents, that's not normal imo a child did all that so many times.
My first thought was that it looks as though that baby was attacked. Your theory makes sense - wonder if baby was crying and the biter became upset over it?

I'm not always in the same room with my kiddos (okay per regs) but babies are always separate from big kids and I'm always popping in to check on everyone. I can't imagine they were checked in at all.

I hope I don't regret saying this but in over 10 years of providing care I've *never* had serious biting incident - and *never* had a serial biter. I've never seen a bite that left *one* mark, never mind 27
Reply
SilverSabre25 07:23 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
either way it's not ok that the provider let it happen that many times. so horrible.
Oh absolutely, no matter what it's awful.

I actually think the unregistered user's suggestion might be accurate
Reply
Play Care 04:10 AM 10-07-2015
Bumping this up because on Facebook someone mentioned that they felt the bites looked like adult teeth marks

Having (thankfully) never had biting at my day care, I've never seen any teeth marks at all, so I've nothing to go on.

Either way, just horrible.
Reply
Josiegirl 04:28 AM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Bumping this up because on Facebook someone mentioned that they felt the bites looked like adult teeth marks

Having (thankfully) never had biting at my day care, I've never seen any teeth marks at all, so I've nothing to go on.

Either way, just horrible.

Has there been any more investigation mentioned?
Just reading the possibility of it having been adult marks gave me the chills.

I've read a few different accounts of it and some of it just does not add up. And one of the dcfs supporting the dc says everything is being blown up out of proportion? The dcm of the infant claims the dcp showed her licensing paperwork and everything? So many unanswered questions.
Reply
childcaremom 05:16 AM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Bumping this up because on Facebook someone mentioned that they felt the bites looked like adult teeth marks

Having (thankfully) never had biting at my day care, I've never seen any teeth marks at all, so I've nothing to go on.

Either way, just horrible.

Reply
daycare 08:03 AM 10-07-2015
OMG what.,. That's just sick.

Have they release any new information on this ?
Reply
NoMoreJuice! 08:16 AM 10-07-2015
I've been watching for updates, and this is the only one, about a week ago:

http://www.ksat.com/news/defenders/p...d-sue-day-care

The provider had stated in an interview (the one where she didn't show her face) that she wanted to go through the proper channels to get licensed, but this video shows the mom suing the provider so that she'll be unable to get a license or care for any child in the future.

Adult teeth though, I think that's pushing the imagination a bit. The crazy randomness of where the bites are located does puzzle me though. It's usually on a hand reaching for a toy, like an automated response for the biter. Weird case.
Reply
Febby 06:14 PM 10-07-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Adult teeth though, I think that's pushing the imagination a bit. The crazy randomness of where the bites are located does puzzle me though. It's usually on a hand reaching for a toy, like an automated response for the biter. Weird case.
A few years ago, I had a four year old who bit me on the upper thigh and stomach after bitting another child on the face. (And kicking me in the stomach) That child had some serious behavioral issues though. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if she bit another child (or staff member) 20+ times, but she was far from normal.
Reply
Tags:illegal daycare, illegal providers
Reply Up