Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Just Got A Call For....
youretooloud 03:07 PM 09-21-2011
A newborn that needs care from 4:45 a.m til 6:45 p.m four days a week.....

And, they need this many hours because.......

I was shocked....

"Dad does not do any hands on childcare... so, he can't do the drop offs or pick ups, and Mom needs to go to the gym every morning before work"

Are. You. Kidding. Me?

(I said No of course... I won't work those hours, and I don't have an infant spot)
MarinaVanessa 03:30 PM 09-21-2011
Sad. So sad. On the other hand ... have you seen some of these men and how they handle "taking care of the children"? For example, I'd rather stay at home an not have date night rather than have my BIL "watch" my kids. I went over one day and his wife's nephews were wolloping each other in a full blown brawl in the middle of the living room floor while he sat back and encouraged them and all he said said was "What? They're boys" .
KEG123 05:47 PM 09-21-2011
Wow.. yeah for $100 per day!
nannyde 06:44 PM 09-21-2011
I sadly have had a LOT of these kinds of calls in the past before I had a website. Now I spell out that I only do a max number of hours so they don't bother calling me.

I used to be kind about it and just say I couldn't accomodate it because I had a second shift of kids. Then over the years I started to be confrontational about it because I wanted to give the parent at least ONE life experience of someone reacting with disdain and horror at the idea that a quality provider would participate in it.

I used to say something like "oh no... I don't keep kids for that man hours. I've found that parents have a really hard time bonding to a baby when they only care for them a few minutes a day awake. When the baby is cared for by the parent only during sleep the parents don't have the time to bond with him/her. The baby then suffers because they are only bonding with the parent when they are sleeping. I think it's better for a baby to bond with adults when they are awake. If we did those hours the only adult in the babies life that would be ABLE to do awake time bonding would be me. I know you as a parent wouldn't feel comfortable with that so the only way this would work is if the baby did their night time sleep here and their day time awake time with you between 645 p.m. to 445 a.m. If you are talking about switching days and nights and the child SLEEPING here all day and being up with you all night then that would work. If you are talking about the child being up here during the day and sleeping at night when she is home with you then I'll have to pass.
cheerfuldom 07:33 PM 09-21-2011
that is so awful....why did they even have a child if they are going to have him/her in daycare for 14 hours a day? you know whats going to happen is that they will probably have to find two providers to make up those hours and that poor kid is not going to have any structure being shuttled around and kept away from mom. omg, I am getting emotional just thinking about that baby.....
Jenniferdawn 10:10 PM 09-21-2011
Horrible...just horrible.
littlemissmuffet 10:14 PM 09-21-2011
Disgusting.
"Parents" like this need a kick in the ass!
Mariee 01:35 AM 09-22-2011
Not good enough
Kaddidle Care 04:45 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
A newborn that needs care from 4:45 a.m til
"Dad does not do any hands on childcare... so, he can't do the drop offs or pick ups, and Mom needs to go to the gym every morning before work"
Maybe Dad doesn't have any hands. Maybe Dad is a mental case and Mom doesn't trust him to take care of his own child.

Some people should be spayed and neutered.
wdmmom 05:45 AM 09-22-2011
14 hours a day!? Are you kidding me?! Why have a child in the first place if you don't want to care for/don't have time for it?! SAD!!
C'est la vie. 05:55 AM 09-22-2011
Oh that whole tedious buisness of parenting... *blech*. Babies are so boring. Insert sarcastic eye roll here.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 09-22-2011
If providers provide that many hours of care they should be able to claim the child as a dependent on their taxes.
Meyou 07:49 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If providers provide that many hours of care they should be able to claim the child as a dependent on their taxes.
Now that would be nice!! Hahaha!

I have a friend who's dh babysits their kids. She has to ask him to babysit if she wants to go out somewhere without them. I just don't get it.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 09-22-2011
Totally agree with all of you!!! Why have children if your not going to take care of them at all and let someone else raise them. I have done daycare for over 29 years now and have seen this many times with parents over the years. What is the world coming to these days!!!!

I am from the old days of where you take care of your children, love them, teach them and be there for them. I'm sorry to say this and it is not true of all parents, but some are so selfish and want the "ME" time and their children just seem to get in their way and toss them off to someone else to raise them, love them and teach them. It is SO SAD what parenting has come to now days, I should not say this, but I am going to and it is not true for all parents, but some parents are just lazy and don't want to take the time to raise their children and it makes me so sad when I think of the poor little ones that just want their Mommy & Daddy to love them and take time for them.

No daycare provider should have to take a child that many hours nor be expected to. We work certain hours just like women out in the work force do. Nanny, your post is so right on, and I agree with what you tell the parents, parents should be ashamed of themselves, but apparently it doesn't phase them these days.
I will get off my soap box now as I could go on & on about parents these days.
Cat Herder 07:53 AM 09-22-2011
Two Words: Foster Parent

But seriously, If this was a nurse working 12 hour shifts, 4 days a week, who pulled a "Knocked Up" (movie) and did not trust the guy; I could get that.

The gym thing I can also get IF she was significantly overweight and her "Employee/Workplace Wellness Program" required her to participate to continue paying her medical insurance (many hospitals are doing this now).

Just because it was interesting: http://www.wellnessproposals.com/wel...he_problem.htm
Jenniferdawn 07:58 AM 09-22-2011
I was just thinking about the nursing job. My sister is a nurse and she regularly has to pull 12 to 14 hour shifts. And if she has a husband who refuses to watch the baby, what else is she to do? It still makes me sad that her baby isn't getting much Mommy loving time, but maybe the Mommy is broken up about it too and has no other options??
youretooloud 08:16 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by Jenniferdawn:
I was just thinking about the nursing job. My sister is a nurse and she regularly has to pull 12 to 14 hour shifts. And if she has a husband who refuses to watch the baby, what else is she to do? It still makes me sad that her baby isn't getting much Mommy loving time, but maybe the Mommy is broken up about it too and has no other options??

The nurses around here have their own daycares. (also airline employees and USAA) that accommodate those special hours. The providers are paid by the parents, but also given money by the employer for working with those hours.

The only reason I've never gotten into that is, that I really don't want to be available 24/7 like that... but, it's a good gig if you want it.

This Mom works for a resort about 15 minutes from here, and her gym classes are on the way to work, but they start at 5:00, so she needs time to drive there. I bet she'd realize that 15 minutes isn't enough time, so she'd need to drop off at 4:30 a.m.
Cat Herder 08:20 AM 09-22-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
This Mom works for a resort about 15 minutes from here,
Ah, so most likely her job security is dependent on her appearance so the gym time would be vital to keeping it.

I am with you, though.... I can't do the long hours anymore. I did for many years, and am just no longer willing.
justgettingstarted 10:44 AM 09-22-2011
Some people should be spayed and neutered.

Love this!

The OP is just so sad though. Here I am stressing (and sometimes crying) and busting my butt to start a daycare because I feel so awful leaving my son in daycare for 7-8 hours day (my husband and I stagger our schedules so he can drop off late and I can pick up early) and others don't seem to mind if they NEVER see their child - and a newborn too! I just don't get it!
Mom&Provider 02:08 PM 09-22-2011
That's terrible...even more so that she'd just out and tell you the reason!!!
Tags:infant care, parents - don't want kids, parents - irresponsible
Reply Up