Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dose and Drops...UGH!
Brustkt 10:55 AM 02-28-2014
How do you all handle dose and drops? I had two dcf do it this week! Very frustrating! Now 3/4 of my daycare is out with bronchitis.
Monday dcm drops son off and says he has a little cough so she gave him some Tylenol. I just looked at her confused... Didn't know Tylenol helped coughs! He then proceeded to hack all over everyone and spread his germs. Precisely after nap time...BAM! 103 degree fever! Now everyone is coughing and another mom dosed and dropped (Tylenol) on Thurs. 103 degree fever...right after nap! I'm very frustrated and feel like this should be addressed but not sure how to do it! Suggestions?
Babyluver21 10:59 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Brustkt:
How do you all handle dose and drops? I had two dcf do it this week! Very frustrating! Now 3/4 of my daycare is out with bronchitis.
Monday dcm drops son off and says he has a little cough so she gave him some Tylenol. I just looked at her confused... Didn't know Tylenol helped coughs! He then proceeded to hack all over everyone and spread his germs. Precisely after nap time...BAM! 103 degree fever! Now everyone is coughing and another mom dosed and dropped (Tylenol) on Thurs. 103 degree fever...right after nap! I'm very frustrated and feel like this should be addressed but not sure how to do it! Suggestions?
That is grounds for immediate termination in my contract. If you want to give a warning, I'd explain the next time this happens, it's IMMEDIATE term, NO exceptions. There were some illnesses I would actually accept, and told them to always contact me if they weren't sure, and that they MAY not get a "yes" but they might. If they got a "NO" and tried the dose and leave, I'd say "Um, sorry, termed!!!"
CraftyMom 11:06 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Babyluver21:
That is grounds for immediate termination in my contract. If you want to give a warning, I'd explain the next time this happens, it's IMMEDIATE term, NO exceptions. There were some illnesses I would actually accept, and told them to always contact me if they weren't sure, and that they MAY not get a "yes" but they might. If they got a "NO" and tried the dose and leave, I'd say "Um, sorry, termed!!!"
My policy is the same, termination. Only problem though how to prove it?? It's always denied by dcp
MotherNature 11:09 AM 02-28-2014
If they don't inform me that their kid is medicated,it's immediate termination. Too much liability if their kid starts having a seizure or something. You could take them to the hospital, and they'd get overdosed b/c you didn't know they had been given meds. Yup-termed immediately.
Brustkt 11:24 AM 02-28-2014
Ok thanks ladies. I will update my policies. Dcm that dosed and dropped on Monday texted me yesterday and asked if anyone else is coughing. I replied "yes...so nice of your son to share on Monday!"
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
My policy is the same, termination. Only problem though how to prove it?? It's always denied by dcp
It's easy to prove when the kid starts running a temp at the 4 hour mark...

Also, I would term immediately too if someone doped their kid and dropped them off but one of the best ways to curb that possibility is having the 24/48 hour exclusion rule.

If a parent chooses to keep their sick child home, then the child must remain out of care until 24 hours AFTER all symptoms have subsided.

If a child is sent home from daycare sick, the child must remain out of care until 48 hours AFTER all symptoms have subsided.

Having that rule really makes parents have to step up and evaluate their child's health on their own. It makes them take responsibility in making that call. They can either err on the side of caution and only miss one day of work or they can send their child to care and risk having to miss 2 days of work.

I learned this from Cat Herder () and other than a few tips and tricks I 've learned from Nan, there is NO other rule in regards to daycare that works so wonderfully well.

I didn't really think it would work when I first heard it but I can honestly say that since implementing the 24/48 hour rule, I have had NO incidences of illness here. None in almost 2 years now.
MarinaVanessa 11:55 AM 02-28-2014
I specifically point out in my policies that I do not allow dope-and-drops and that doing so is grounds for termination. I go beyond that and say that if a child needs over-the-counter medication of any sort then the child is too sick/in pain to come to daycare ... including teething infants. If the child is on meds, the child stays home.

I also specifically point out to them that we have the dope-and-drop term. The 48 hour exclusion policy also helps a lot.
Child is sick so parent keeps child home = 24 hour exclusion AFTER symptoms go away AND is medication free.
Child gets sick at daycare and is sent home = 48 hour exclusion AFTER symptoms go away AND is medication free.
Brustkt 11:59 AM 02-28-2014
Wow! I love that 24/48 hour rule! Definitely using that one in my policies...along with no meds before daycare!
Cradle2crayons 12:04 PM 02-28-2014
I use he 24/48 hour rule also. And dope and drop is also immediate termination here too... And I explain that very clearly during interview when I go over my illness policy.
Blackcat31 12:05 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I specifically point out in my policies that I do not allow dope-and-drops and that doing so is grounds for termination. I go beyond that and say that if a child needs over-the-counter medication of any sort then the child is too sick/in pain to come to daycare ... including teething infants. If the child is on meds, the child stays home.

I also specifically point out to them that we have the dope-and-drop term. The 48 hour exclusion policy also helps a lot.
Child is sick so parent keeps child home = 24 hour exclusion AFTER symptoms go away AND is medication free.
Child gets sick at daycare and is sent home = 48 hour exclusion AFTER symptoms go away AND is medication free.

Discussing your illness rules/policies and your unwillingness to ever bend or waive them during the interview process makes a HUGE difference.

If it is important enough for you to spend 10-15 minutes covering it while interviewing, then parents know up front what to expect and how rigid you will be with your rules.
TwinKristi 12:10 PM 02-28-2014
I would send home a very obvious letter updating or reminding everyone of your sick policy and basically calling out the moms (obviously not naming them) for doing this. I would explain that while illnesses happen and it's normal in young children, especially in group care, that alternate care plans need to be utilized and NOT brought to daycare. Due to people bringing their sick children, medicated to mask symptoms, several friends have gotten sick now and other parents are missing work not to mention the risk of you/your family getting sick and having to close causing everyone to miss work/income plus extra cleaning on your part to sanitize. Is missing a day or two of work to care for your sick child really worth that? Put in bold, failure to comply with your illness policy will result in immediate termination.

I had a mom question my policy when I sent her son home with a sore on his lips. I explained I have and would send anyone else home just the same to prevent her child from getting sick as well. Its this mentality that their life/job/child/money is so much more important than anyone else's. Now it's costing these families money in dr's visits, medication, missed work and potentially costing you money if you have to close for the day. It's so rude. The first year I did care this one mom (my only family at the time) brought her son sick numerous times. I know she knew he was sick, but didn't want to call in before work, and would rather I called her later and make her come get him kinda thing. She often brought him to work with her, which made me feel bad for poor sick DCB, and I'd often just let him take his nap and have her pick up early. Of course my DS got sick, I got sick, all my kids got sick... bad move!! Then she got used to this treatment and continued doing it. Last summer I was in the hospital for a double staph infection in my finger and dh was my backup. He texts me and says DCB has a fever of 103! I said to have him picked up NOW and he said she asked if he could nap there and she'd pick up early. I knew otherwise he'd end up sitting at her work, burning up sick, but of course the next week my DS ended up sick and had a fever of 105!! I was so mad!
NoMoreJuice! 12:12 PM 02-28-2014
Just had to send a dcb home this morning. Got here at 5:30AM, went back to bed until 8:30, woke up with a horrible fever and cough. I called dcd, he admitted to giving tylenol at 5am because dcb "felt kinda warm and had a cough." GRRRRR. I asked him to pick up ASAP, and told him that he is never to bring a sick child here again. When he picked up (looking guilty) he said "You didn't have to be so mean about it."

Dude, I was holding back to sound more professional. You want to hear MEAN??
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
. When he picked up (looking guilty) he said "You didn't have to be so mean about it."
Before I had a chance to slap my hand over my mouth, I probably would have replied "You didn't have to be so stupid either."
NoMoreJuice! 12:16 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Before I had a chance to slap my hand over my mouth, I probably would have replied "You didn't have to be so stupid either."

Hehe!
Leanna 12:32 PM 02-28-2014
Just wondering how you all enforce the "without meds" part of the 24/48 hour exclusion policy. If they deny giving meds what can one really do? I am seriously asking.
Second Home 12:36 PM 02-28-2014
I had one this morning .
The dcm said the dcg is only a little sick with a cough so I gave her cough and cold meds .
I told her that is not to be done again , if the child is sick enought to need medication then she must stay home .
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Just wondering how you all enforce the "without meds" part of the 24/48 hour exclusion policy. If they deny giving meds what can one really do? I am seriously asking.
This is where the trust factor comes in for BOTH parties.

The parents have to trust that I have that policy for THEIR benefit as much as mine and the other kids and I need to trust that my parents are honest.

Lucky for me, I am only able to have 3 kids under 2yrs of age and all the others can talk, plus I know my DCK's (and families) pretty well and it really isn't that hard to tell if someone is lying...kwim?

I know what is and isn't normal behavior for a child and a lot of my families choose me because I am SO strict about illnesses, medications and immunizations. (most my families have the same parenting styles and philosophies)

Also if a kid is running a fever, 9 out of 10 times, there is a decline in overall health and behaviors prior to the fever so I don't think being sick is always "sudden" and unexpected.
Cat Herder 12:52 PM 02-28-2014
A pale kid with a 94* body temp is a pretty good indicator of fever reducing meds.

The classics are 4-6-8 hour after drop-off, on the dot, spike in temp.

Many kids will simply tell you.
LadyPearl 01:01 PM 02-28-2014

Also, I would term immediately too if someone doped their kid and dropped them off but one of the best ways to curb that possibility is having the 24/48 hour exclusion rule.

If a parent chooses to keep their sick child home, then the child must remain out of care until 24 hours AFTER all symptoms have subsided.

If a child is sent home from daycare sick, the child must remain out of care until 48 hours AFTER all symptoms have subsided.

Having that rule really makes parents have to step up and evaluate their child's health on their own. It makes them take responsibility in making that call. They can either err on the side of caution and only miss one day of work or they can send their child to care and risk having to miss 2 days of work.

I learned this from Cat Herder () and other than a few tips and tricks I 've learned from Nan, there is NO other rule in regards to daycare that works so wonderfully well.

I didn't really think it would work when I first heard it but I can honestly say that since implementing the 24/48 hour rule, I have had NO incidences of illness here. None in almost 2 years now.

I really like the idea of the 24/48 hr rule. It seems like it would keep the questionable kids at home!
CraftyMom 01:34 PM 02-28-2014
I had a situation not too long ago that I SWEAR was dope and drop, fever right after nap, texted mom and she came IMMEDIATELY, seriously before I even read her response. She promised she didn't give meds, and that he didn't have a fever in the morning. My policy is termination for this but I really couldn't prove other than mom's guilty behavior and timing of fever. What do you say to parents when you suspect they gave child meds?
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I had a situation not too long ago that I SWEAR was dope and drop, fever right after nap, texted mom and she came IMMEDIATELY, seriously before I even read her response. She promised she didn't give meds, and that he didn't have a fever in the morning. My policy is termination for this but I really couldn't prove other than mom's guilty behavior and timing of fever. What do you say to parents when you suspect they gave child meds?
In that scenario, it would be impossible to prove anything but I sure would let mom know that I suspect. kwim?

I might say something like "Wow, in all my years of providing care, I have never ever seen a situation like this where the child wasn't given meds before drop off. I'll have to make sure I keep a really good eye on your son since he obviously gets sick really quickly with no warnings. I do want to point out though that my 48 hour rule still applies because he is being sent home from care."

That would let the mom know you ARE onto her and that you ARE suspicious of her actions and that you WILL be watching closely. More than likely she will not try to pull a fast one again. (IF she was in the first place.)

Sometimes just letting parents know you DO suspect or will be watching closely from now on does the trick.
MsLaura529 05:19 AM 03-01-2014
I don't have any experience with the obvious dose and drops, but I'm glad I'm not the only one dealing with a parent who uses tylenol or motrin for a stuffy nose and/or cough .... I'm so baffled by this thinking.
Babyluver21 08:32 AM 03-01-2014

This here.Also, I always let them know I'm an RN in training. So I KNOW.
nannyde 10:43 AM 03-01-2014
In that scenario, it would be impossible to prove anything but I sure would let mom know that I suspect. kwim?

I might say something like "Wow, in all my years of providing care, I have never ever seen a situation like this where the child wasn't given meds before drop off. I'll have to make sure I keep a really good eye on your son since he obviously gets sick really quickly with no warnings. I do want to point out though that my 48 hour rule still applies because he is being sent home from care."

That would let the mom know you ARE onto her and that you ARE suspicious of her actions and that you WILL be watching closely. More than likely she will not try to pull a fast one again. (IF she was in the first place.)

Sometimes just letting parents know you DO suspect or will be watching closely from now on does the trick.
I can see the 24/48 working Monday thru Wednesday but it wouldn't be a deterrent on Thursday or Friday.
Blackcat31 01:38 PM 03-01-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I can see the 24/48 working Monday thru Wednesday but it wouldn't be a deterrent on Thursday or Friday.
True, but I would think that if a child repeatedly got sick on a Thursday or Friday...one would catch on pretty quickly.

I think that is one of the biggest things that parents either forget about or overlook completely....we spend the MAJORITY of waking hours with their child and when their child exhibits behaviors that are "off" or not really normal for them, we know.

We aren't as dumb as some parents think we are.
TwinKristi 02:43 PM 03-01-2014

We aren't as dumb as some parents think we are.
Haha! Or as dumb as they are!!
One DCM gave me every excuse in the book!! Teething, allergies, the heat was on high in the car that AM, it was hot outside, he's just getting over 1 virus and you can't get 2 at once... And the funniest part is she was also a nursing student!! I knew more about that stuff than she did! Funny how our home heater wasn't any different than in heat in her car or the temp outside didn't give anyone else a fever! And big shock! The next week the other kids all got the SAME thing!?
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, drug and drop, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy
Reply Up