Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Daycare Worker Dropped My Baby...
was 11:48 AM 01-14-2010
My daughter turned five months today. We've only had her in daycare for three weeks now. Earlier this week I got the call at work. The teacher dropped her. What happened was she was carrying her sort of on her hip, but didn't have a second hand on her back or anything. My girl isn't strong enough yet to support herself upright totally and can fall from side to side or backwards if you dont' have your second hand on her back. You would think daycare workers would know this. So the teacher was walking with her, and my daughter fell backward, daycare lady dropped her all the way to the floor where she landed on her head. I rushed to go pick her up and take her to the doctor. Thank God the doctor said everything looks okay, her head is bruised up in spots. When I went in to get her from daycare, I could barely say to words to the director and assistant director who were both there with my daughter. I didn't even confront the teacher. All I could say was that it was unacceptable. They said they've never had anything like this happen. We did all our research when choosing this place. I started to have my doubts the second week when they were letting my daughter sleep on her stomach when our pediatrician said that was a big no no. What would you do? Am I over reacting? It's our first child. I know people have accidents, I understand that, I would just think daycare workers would know how to hold children of certain ages, knowing my daughter can't really control herself yet. It's not like if she started to fall backwards she could catch herself. She's not that strong yet.

I'm so upset. We have pulled her out of this daycare and contacted the state about filing a complaint. My daughter checked out okay by the pediatrican but we are still keeping a close eye on her. I've had to take time off work, and now my mother is watching her, she had to call off her part time job to do so. Both my husband and I work full time.

What more can I do? Between my daughter's incident, them letting infants sleep on their stomachs when the say they dont' allow it, and a very high teacher to infant ratio, this daycare shouldnt' be running.
Tags:accidents, injury
Up