Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT- Anyone Have NO Dog/Pets?
EchoMom 06:48 PM 03-07-2013
I'm seriously, seriously considering rehoming my dog. It's been a stressful consideration for 2 years now and we're still having the same talk about wanting to get rid of him, but being afraid/sad to make the final step to do it.

The reasons are numerous and too long to go into here.
My concern is for my DS. I hate the idea of him having no dog, he's 18 months and LOVES dogs.

What I want to know is from people who have zero pets or dogs in their homes. Do you love it? Are your kids missing out? Please I'd love to hear about this.
Sprouts 07:05 PM 03-07-2013
I had a dog, a really cute cockapoo...I do miss him, but then i remember......lol....he would bark at any sound outside, anyone coming in he would bark, he would pee when too excited....my husband is not really a dog lover so that made it even worse, we were always stressed with the dog..stressed with each other....I had my second child and the constant barking made nap time harder. We gave him to a nice older single man...he takes great care of him, the man even lost 30 pounds because he walks with him everywhere....so while I do miss the dog, and know that my son would have loved him...its a releif to not have the added stress.....

good luck
Sprouts 07:06 PM 03-07-2013
Oh but we did agree that when the kids are old enough and responsible enough to walk a dog on their own, then we would discuss it in the future!
Patches 07:09 PM 03-07-2013
I don't have time for pets right now, so I don't have any. It would not be fair to bring home an animal that I can't care for properly. My DS wants a dog really bad, but a dog is not a toy and I don't think he's ready for the responsibility.
mamac 07:22 PM 03-07-2013
I had a dog when my first ds was born. He was a 13 1/2 yr old large breed mutt. Very protective of the baby. Would sleep next to his crib at night and alert us to any noise ds made. Unfortunately, he had some inoperable tumors and had to be euthanized when my son was about 8 months old. That was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do.

I immediately knew that I wanted to get another dog at some point in my children's lives. (If it wasn't for already having a child I would have gotten one right away.) Right now they are 5 1/2 and 3 and I feel that the time commitment to raising a puppy and caring for a dog would take away from the time I have to really spend with my children while they are young. They both love dogs and have spent time in DC with one. Sure, if I asked them if they wanted a puppy they would say yes. What kid wouldn't? They have no idea what the responsibilities are to caring for a dog.

Every once in a while we will stop at the pet store to visit the animals there and that seems to make them happy and they get their puppy-petting time. Then we go home and do what we want without having to worry about not being able to spend an entire day at the park or staying in NYC until almost midnight, riding a petty cab for the first time and sleeping on the train on the way home. We don't have to worry a dog that is locked up in a house all day while we are out having fun.

Initially, I wanted another dog because I missed my old friend. He was my first "baby". Now my two boys are much more important to me than an animal companion. I have decided now to wait until they are at least a few years older and maybe even let them decide the pros and cons to owning a dog.

If this is a source of stress for you and your family, I say let the dog go. Your son may ask about the dog for a little while, but he is still so young at this point so it probably won't be a huge deal to him. And if it is causing you stress, then he probably senses that as well. I think if you are able to spend more quality time with your son without the "hassle" of also raising a dog, he will remember that much longer than a dog that he once had as a very young child. I don't think my kids are missing out one bit by being a pet-less home. There are always plenty of opportunities to visit animals elsewhere.

HTH. Good luck with your decision.
blandino 07:26 PM 03-07-2013
I have two dogs, that I adore. But sometimes I lightly consider getting rid of them. I wouldn't actually ever do it. But my time is so divided that I feel like I can't give them all the attention they used to get (they still get more than a lot of dogs- but the time just isn't there for me to give them what I used to.) Plus, at the end of the day I want my personal space, and some time to myself - and that is when I feel like I am being unfair to them. But I have had kiddos in my face all day and am ready to relax alone for a while.

So I sympathize, I really do.
EchoMom 07:36 PM 03-07-2013
Thanks for the responses so far. It really helps to know what 'the other side' looks like, as I grew up in a dog household and always thought I MUST have a dog.

But... things change...

I have a hound dog.

He rips up dirty diapers every chance he gets. Now he's started peeing next to them too. Yesterday I found 4 ripped up diapers, one in every room, and 9 places he'd sprayed urine around the house. It was nightmare, the worst thing I can imagine (well, not literally).

Tonight he did it again, one ripped up diaper and one p*ss puddle. (Yes, he's neutered). He's been ripping up diapers for a long time, but now it's escalated to the peeing too.

He is constantly in the trash, on the counters, stealing DS's food. He's EXCELLENT with kids, SUPER safe with DS, but doesn't really like DS and just tries to get away even though DS 18 months is the only one who really likes him anymore.

The dog humps my mom's dog CONSTANTLY if he's in the yard with her. It's DISGUSTING and OBSESSIVE. He escapes from the yard and I have to go find him AT LEAST once a month.

He chews up my wooden toys.

He scratches at the front door when he wants in and makes it look awful.

He's got OCD and has ripped through almost every piece of furniture we have.

He has digestive issues and vomits in the house FREQUENTLY.

My husband helps very very little with him, it's all on me.

I have lost 99% of all the affection and bond I used to have for him, back when the dog was my baby and I ADORED him for the first 3 years. But now I'm fed up and have been considering getting rid of him ever since DS was born. But now the behaviors keep escalating...

Because of his behavior and because of daycare he is crated the majority of the day, not the kind of dog owner I ever wanted to be.

He's 5 years old and we've had him since he was a puppy. He's an evil genius, extremely smart dog, worked with him alot before I had DS, excellent at dog parks, knows numerous interesting tricks.

But I don't take giving up a pet lightly...
Lucy 07:38 PM 03-07-2013
No pets here. I used to have a cat, but she either ran away or got hit by a car several years ago. I have no kids at home either - well, besides the DC kids. Two out of six of them have no pets at home either. Nobody is missing anything.
brittburk 07:42 PM 03-07-2013
I have two dogs, a weimaraner and a beagle mix. As crazy as they drive me I could never get rid of them. My daughter (12 months) loves them. I love them. I have reached the point twice where I screamed to my husband to find them another home and actually posted of FB that we were looking for a new home. After I cooled down though I realized we just needed to rework the situation. We chose to adopt them into a forever home and just because we brought a baby into the home didn't mean they were suddenly negotiable no matter how frustrated I'd gotten. Those dogs view us as their family and it breaks my heart thinking about how betrayed and confused they would feel if we were to rehome them. And I know my daughter would be saddened by her missing puppies.

I can tell you there are days when I long for a home free of piles of pet hair, and no litterboxes downstairs (I have two cats too), and not having to worry about animals getting into the garbage (we just bought a locking trashcan!), BUT I know I took on the extra responsibilities because I love animals and I know that there are steps I can take to make the family work all together even if there is dog hair coating the baby after she crawls around on the floor.

Now, if the dog is in any way dangerous for the kiddo/s then I agree it would be in everybody's best interested to rehome the dog. Otherwise there are definitely things that can be worked out. If you have been hesitating then definitely try to see if there are other options before rehoming that can work for you guys, its clear that you guys love your dog!

Everybody's situation is different, so do what you need to do! This is a really tough situation, I know how you feel. <3
EchoMom 07:43 PM 03-07-2013
But is it wrong or "evil" of me to get rid of a dog I already have??? I used to be SOOOOOOOOOOO self righteous and judgmental of people and the dog owners they were... Now that I'm a mom... It's a dog and it's a drain on me that I'm sick of...
EchoMom 07:47 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by brittburk:
its clear that you guys love your dog!

Everybody's situation is different, so do what you need to do! This is a really tough situation, I know how you feel. <3
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it and thanks for everyone not trashing me.

Here's the honest truth though... I'm pretty sure we don't love him anymore... But we once did, VERY MUCH. So it's like, no, I don't love him anymore, I know I don't want him, I do now think he's just a dog, he's not a human, he's not a child, he's not as important as my DS and family and not even as important as the daycare because that is what supports my family. But I also don't think he's trash, disposable, or doesn't have value. I still want him to have a good life and not be hurt.

But he doesn't really think all that about us, or he wouldn't have a p*ss fest all over the house/my business! (Yes, I know he's not capable of thinking of that).
brittburk 07:58 PM 03-07-2013
After reading your other posts I suggest seeing if you can't get a trainer in there to help both you and the dog. It sounds like he's probably gained some habits since your baby arrived.

I also suggest the locking trashcans by simplehuman. My dogs also ate diapers. :| So. Gross. So far we've had no diaper/chicken bone/cat poop eating incidents. *knock on wood*

But it sounds like a lot of those issues could be solved by getting some training in and sometimes the best way to do this is to seek some outside help for initial pointers and tips, they can really see areas that need work and offer an outsider's perspective.

It will take some extra time and dedication but you could do it. You could also get your kiddo involved by letting them give treats for good behavior (as long as your dog is gentle enough). Also, what is the dog's exercise like? Sometimes just getting out for a nice long walk on a daily basis can be a major, major help, especially since he has had some crate time lately. I'm sure the dog is also picking up on your anger/frustration and it can actually cause the behavior to worsen because he could be feeling stressed, so just be aware of that too.

I don't know its possible to stop loving your pet, but I do think it is entirely possible to have that love so crammed down and smashed by all the terrible things your pet has done that you totally forget it. Trust me, been there. But regardless, definitely doesn't make you a bad person if you don't love him anymore, it happens and sometimes pets do need a new home because its healthier and happier for everybody involved.

And hounds are notorious for following their noses and instincts when it comes to eating terrible things and peeing on stuff. Ugh! Its those ancient hunting and territory instincts coming out that makes them great hunting dogs. It doesn't mean he doesn't love you. It just means he's a pain in the ass. Both of my dogs are 'hunting dogs' and oh boy...just oh boy.

Otherwise, I know you don't want him thrown out like trash, so consider advertising that you are looking to rehome your dog and actually interview people instead of just dropping at the shelter. That way you can meet the people and know that they are going to a good place. I am pretty positive that petfinder.com will let you advertise your pet for adoption.

Oh, good luck lady. I hope the best for your family and your pup!
Sunnyyy1 08:14 PM 03-07-2013
I have 2 dogs a 5 yr old Boxer and a 11 month old Min Pin, they both are my husbands and daughters responsibility, I use to love when we had no pets, I already had way too much responsibility...when we got the boxer I didn't mind so much but then they brought the Min Pin home.... I am not much on dogs but I live with 2 people who wouldn't have it any other way. My daughter would have a fit if we got rid of either dog so for now I have to live with it. Do what you fill is right for you.
jenn 08:15 PM 03-07-2013
We have a cat and a fish. They are like members of our family. I love that the daycare kids are around animals here, so that I can teach them how treat and respect animals. Most of them have pets at home and it is amazing how some of them are not taught how to treat them.

As for your situation, you have to do what is best for your family and for your pet. Good luck with your decision.
Starburst 09:03 PM 03-07-2013
Have you ever tried to see if your area has any "doggie daycares" that are open during your business hours sometimes they also help with house/obiedience training.

The provider I used to work for had a black lab and everyone LOVED her. She was very well trained and if the kids dropped food on the daycare floor she ate it right up (less sweeping time) and she just roamed around the daycare loved being petted and didn't mind being pulled on much (though we still didn't allow kids to do that). And she was a total mama's girl. I used to dog sit her and she would be really clingy if she couldn't find my boss. We always said it was a good thing her human mama worked from home because she would be a total wreak. The provider's daughter had the dog's mama and they found homes for all the puppies and I guess after like 8 years one of the puppy mamas had to try to find either find a new home or a doggy daycare for her dog because she got a new job out of the house and her dog kept wrecking the house and having accidents .
mamac 09:14 PM 03-07-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Thanks so much for your thoughts. I really appreciate it and thanks for everyone not trashing me.

Here's the honest truth though... I'm pretty sure we don't love him anymore... But we once did, VERY MUCH. So it's like, no, I don't love him anymore, I know I don't want him, I do now think he's just a dog, he's not a human, he's not a child, he's not as important as my DS and family and not even as important as the daycare because that is what supports my family. But I also don't think he's trash, disposable, or doesn't have value. I still want him to have a good life and not be hurt.

But he doesn't really think all that about us, or he wouldn't have a p*ss fest all over the house/my business! (Yes, I know he's not capable of thinking of that).
I think that if you are beyond the point of wanting him anymore then it's best to try to find him another home. I think that most pet owners ultimately want the best for their pets, even if it means having to give them up. It's obvious you still care for your dog, even if you say you don't love him. Otherwise you would have gotten rid of him without a second thought. I agree with pp that training may work, but if your heart isn't in it anymore then that's probably not an option.

If your main reason for wanting to keep the dog is because your son loves him even though you don't I would say find the dog another home. I know this is an animal but it's almost like staying married for the sake of the children when all the love in a marriage is gone. Sooner or later your son will sense your frustration and anger towards the dog. My ex DC hated her dog and all the dcks (including mine) would scream at the dog to "get out" or "go away". Her attitude definitely rubbed off on all the kids. I had to teach them that wasn't the way to treat animals.

I don't take giving up a pet lightly either, but I support those that need to in order to provide a better life for their pet. It will be a tough decision, but I'm sure you will make the right one for your family. And no, you are not "evil" if you choose to let him go..... ((hugs))
Meeko 05:28 AM 03-08-2013
I would try training before getting rid of him. But that's just me. Our dogs are family members to the end. Maybe training could turn him back into a cutie again?
crazydaycarelady 07:04 AM 03-08-2013
Can't you get a garbage can with a lid so he can't get the diapers? He's probably throwing up because he has eaten the gel from the diapers.
butterfly 07:47 AM 03-08-2013
Well, I'm a little late to joining this party, but I wanted to comment on your original post.

We are a pet free home. My husband is allergic so it's not an option for us, but we don't have any fish or anything else either. We have 2 sons and have had nearly 20 foster children. Our kids are not deprived from not having pets. We have family that has pets and they get plenty of exposure to them through others.

I was raised in a "zoo". We had all kinds of pets - exotic and traditional. I don't think I'm at any more of an advantage having all those animals in my life. Yes, I had a strong attachment to many of them and they became part of my family..

I'm just saying you aren't a horrible parent if you don't have pets and maybe a new home might be better for both your family and this dog.
ABCDaycareMN 07:56 AM 03-08-2013
How old are your dogs? How long have you had them?
kitkat 09:06 AM 03-08-2013
We have been pet free for 6 yrs and I wouldn't have it any other way. We had a cat, but we had to put him down about 6 years ago. We thought he was having behavioral issues and were trying to decide on finding him a new home, but discovered it was medical. I completely understand what you are going thru and how stressful it is!

It has been a huge relief to not have any pets. Life is much easier. We found out in Dec. that dd is allergic to dogs and cats, so now we can't have a furry pet if we wanted, which is fine with us. My kids aren't missing out by not having a pet and get exposed to pets thru other people.

Doing what is best for your family and the dog is the right decision. Good luck!
safechner 09:19 AM 03-08-2013
I am doing the same thing that we are trying to get my dog re homing with no small kids and small animals for a while. She is pain in the butt! I kicked her out of my house since November after she attacked my small dog. She has been staying in the backyard. After a while, she knew she is not welcome in the house but we still feed her and give her water. She have a dog house to keep her warm. We are hoping she will be gone before baby is born. I also have another dog but she is a wonderful sweet and good dog that we have her since she was 6 weeks old. Now she is 8 years old that we are keeping her. I have to think what is the best for my family. My husband and I decided we are not getting any dogs in the future...
rmc20021 09:49 AM 03-08-2013
This is the same consideration I've been having with my little dog. I rescued him a little over a year ago from a shelter and I'm so in love with him, but he's about 8 yo and being a small dog, he gets nervous around kids. I keep him in my room all day...the door stays open and he wilingly stays in there on his own.

I hate keeping him isolated like that and I've seriously been considering letting him go as well. But with him being older, I'm so afraid of what kind of home he would get...if any. He's in perfect health and travels very well.

He's never shown any attempts to bite or otherwise be unsocialable, but I just wouldn't want to take a chance of him being out with dck's around. I used to leave him out when I first started back doing daycare and I had a 1 yo who would chase him around hitting him, hitting him with toys and throwing things at him. That was when I decided it would be best for everyone if I kept him away from the kids.

I hate the thought of losing my little guy...he's only about 10 lbs, but it just doesn't seem fair to him to have to be hidden away like that. My assistant that comes when I have to go for appointments didn't even know I had a dog for a long time because he's so good about staying in the room, that she had never seen him.
Play Care 09:54 AM 03-08-2013
But is it wrong or "evil" of me to get rid of a dog I already have??? I used to be SOOOOOOOOOOO self righteous and judgmental of people and the dog owners they were... Now that I'm a mom... It's a dog and it's a drain on me that I'm sick of...
I would not make it known to people you know IRL if you do rehome the dog BUT only because you already know how they will react

I am a "pets are pets, not people" kind of person. I believe the safety and comfort of the PEOPLE who live in (and pay for) the home trump the idea of a "forever" home for a pet. We have a goldfish. It's the only pet we will have. I'm allergic to cats, so that's out. I don't think my kids are missing out. I know who would be the one taking the dog for walks, clearing crap from the yard, feeding it, taking it to the vet - and it's not my kids (or my DH).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
MarinaVanessa 09:58 AM 03-08-2013
We don't have any pets whatsoever at the moment, not even a fish. I just don't have the time to take care of an animal and I know that the reposnsibility of taking care of a critter will fall all on me. My 2yo is too young, my 8yo still doesn't understand that reqponsibilty for an animal is 7 days a week and my DH is way too busy to take the responsibility of caring for a pet so we just don't have any.

My mom did buy the kids an aquarium and some goldfish (the inexpensive kind) as a trial for my DD but she would forget to feed them in the mornings or evenings sometimes and either I or my mom would have to do it and my mom had to clean the tank. Once I freaked out because my DS dumped half the container of fish food in the tank and then spilled the rest on the floor and started eating it "Mmmm yummy mama" ... ugh, barf. And when my 2yo DS fed the goldfish Goldfish Crackers and they all died we just decided not to buy any more . We'll try again in a year.
MyAngels 11:19 AM 03-08-2013
It doesn't sound like your dog is very happy, either, and if finding him a new home will help everyone be happier then that is what I'd do. You are not awful for doing it - quite the opposite IMO.

Do make sure that you do as the PP said and make sure you find him a good and stable home that's going to give him what he needs if you go that route.
Texasjeepgirl 12:43 PM 03-08-2013

5 DOGS
Rubi May is 4 lb Yorkie
She was our second Yorkie.. The first one.. Amy.. disappeared from just outside our door in fall of '07 ... Amy was 5 at the time...
My poor husband cried for days.. so we brought Rubi home when she was 10 weeks old... weighed 1 lb 10 oz at the time...
Rubi May's name is ... Rubi.. because my jeep is a Rubicon... and MAY is Amy rearranged... Amy was our JEEP dog...
and if you've ever looked at my jeep pics she's in several pics with our jeep club
www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

Ironically .. Rubi May has NEVER been a jeep dog.. lol

Maggie Mae McGregor 22 lb black Scottish Terrier
Rubi is Mark's dog.. so I joked that I needed a dog of my own..
Mark said get a Scotty.. because he is Scottish (Our last name is GREGORY... AKA McGregor Clan )
We brought her home when she was 3 months old.. she's 4 1/2 now.

William Wallace McGregor, Liberator of the Scotts... (Yes Mark named him)
5 lb Yorkie
He was given to us by a friend.. he's old..we don't know 'how old' because he was a rescue dog... and has arthritis.. but still good health otherwise... and beautiful.. although can be grumpy occasionally.

Nicholas Ruler of the Russians.. aka Nick
(Yes Mark also named him....well.. sort of... My daughter and I thought the name Nick was cute.. Mark said it was NOT COOL because we kept calling him 'Nicky'... so he tried to man his name up a little..
he's 4... and 4 lbs.. and..
annoying.. crazy.. not stable... seriously.. crazy barking little maniac...
Most beautiful Yorkie you'll ever see...

And then there's TUCKER...
Chiweenie...
less than 1 year old...
Youngest of our 5 girls was given this dog by a boyfriend last summer...
When she came for weekend visitation.. her mom insisted she bring dog here with her... then Sunday before she returned home from the weekend...her mom sent a text that said.. find a new home for the dog or I'm taking him to the shelter..
Guess where Tucker lives now?
Cute and fun.. loving... wild and energetic..
also likes to chew up shoes...several of my favorites..
and... chewed the cord off the toaster that sat on a lower kitchen shelf...so I got a new toaster.. and for awhile kept it on the counter.. finally put it on lower shelf.. and guess what... toaster number 2... no cord now..

The dogs stay in the kitchen or our private apartment... ONLY... I have a gate between the kitchen and daycare room area... they never enter the daycare area for ANY reason... also.. daycare children NEVER enter my kitchen.. for ANY REASON.. the gate is wooden Evenflo gate.. hardware mounted .. and is a permenant part of our home set up...The dogs go in and out a different door.. and have a seperate outside area, gated to prevent entry by children...
I also have a section in my PARENT HANDBOOK that addresses my small dogs.. with a request that parents refrain from picking my dogs up (over the gate).. because they are small and fragile...

All 5 dogs sleep in our bed..
My husband works second shift..
I go to bed between 9 and 10 p.m. each night.. all dogs with me..
When my husband arrives home at 2 a.m.. they hear him punch in the digital code to enter our room... THAT BED EXPLODES.. 5 dogs... FLIP OUT!!! My husband could NEVER sneak in.. lol... no one can...
He sends the dogs out to potty.. undresses.. and everyone comes back to bed... I get up at 5 a.m...
3 dogs go to the kitchen with me..
Maggie Mae, Rubi May and Tucker
Nick and William stay in bed with my husband till he gets up.

Other pets we have:
CROOKSHANKS.. female cat ... 12 years old.. have had her since birth.
she lives outside and always nearby..

Molly small tabby kitten that was rescued by a friend..

Herald large bobtail cat 2 years old.. rescued from a vehicle in the parking lot next door by my daughter..

Herald and Molly mostly live outside.. but occasionally my daughter takes them in her bedroom.. and sets up a litter box for them...
not accessible by daycare children.

Peter Rabbit is a black Angora rabbit.. he lives in a large 2 part home... his house is on the outside of the daycare playground privacy fence.. has a little doorway that he can hop through to the large play area compound that I built for him on the inside of the daycare playround.. so that the children and I can see him and feed him... he lives a happy rabbit life.... the kids and I see him almost every day.. weather permitting... we feed him carrots... and he will sit in their laps like a cat.

Jorge and Furry Murray
guinea pigs
live in the daycare room in a large 3 level, 6 room condominium that I built from a large wooden entertainment center I bought at a junk/resale shop... the front is open faced.. each room has a 1/2 plexi glass front so that we can see them in each room... it has stairs and doorways leading from each room...
and this weekend my husband and I are building a tunnel to come out of the side... and run across a 5-6 foot expanse to land in a play area in the corner of our daycare room..several feet off the floor to keep the kids from reaching in... more running space and the kids and I can enjoy them more...

And... 2 hamsters...
they are girls.. but.. all hamsters here are called.. LARRY..
Larry.. and .. THE OTHER LARRY... when 1 Larry dies.. you go to the pet store and spend 12 bucks.. magic..
new LARRY

Do I have time for all these creatures?
Well I don't know.. I guess I do..
The Yorkie's are NOT house trained..
No matter what you read.. no matter who you talk to..
you will NEVER.... ever... EVER.. .house train a Yorkie..
If someone tells you it CAN BE DONE.. tell them NO..
You are dreaming..
so...
It's a good thing I have ceramic tile floors... and painted concrete floors.. AND... it is a really good thing that I am an OCD CLEAN FREAK.. I don't own a mop... I have about 50 wash cloths that I mop the floor on my hands and knees... EVERY DAY...several times per day...
My husband says the only reason I have the dogs is to help me keep the floor clean.. they tinkle on the floor.. I mop = JOB SECURITY

I clean the guinea pig condo out EVERY SINGLE DAY... I don't use commercial bedding.. I use FLEECE blankets..aka infant recieving blankets..
1 per room..
Each morning after breakfast...
I take a wastebasket...and a laundry basket over to the guinea pig house..
Room by room.. I remove the toys and dishes ... fold the blanket up... shake it out into the wastebasket and put it in the laundry basket..
I fold another blanket.. spread it out... put all their items back in place...
Next room...
then I wash all the blankets for the next day...
The kids and I feed them cherry tomatoes.. and talk to them every day...
When any child has seperation issues at drop off..
All I have to do is ask..
do you want to go talk to Jorge? Furry Murray?
Larry?
The tears stop... and.. we get a container of tomatoes from the fridge...

My critters nearly work me to death..
But.. I can't imagine my life..
My home..
My daycare
without them...

Willow 01:44 PM 03-08-2013

I don't think it's evil, but I do think it sends children the wrong message that pets are disposable. Not that you're a horrible person for contemplating it, but if that's also how you used to feel maybe you need to take a step back and think about the big picture instead of just the frustration you're feeling day to day.

If you're struggling with his behaviors crate him, get a secured trash bin, clean up his old spots with an enzymatic cleaner and get in touch with a trainer or behaviorist. Everything you talk about in regards to the behaviors that are driving you to make such a tough decision can all be easily remedied by making just little changes in what you're doing.

Like Meeko I consider any pets we take in to be family until the end, and believe in respecting the commitment I made to them when I first took them in (we currently have 4 dogs, 1 foster (biiig) pup, 2 cats, a rabbit (my 8 year old sons), a chinchilla (my 10 year old daughters) and my horse).
EchoMom 09:31 PM 03-08-2013
Thanks so much for everyone's responses! This has been such a positive, supportive thread, and I'm so grateful and impressed! I honestly still don't know what I'll do, but some really good ideas were suggested here that I hadn't thought of.
EchoMom 12:07 PM 03-24-2013
Update: My husband and I have been crying and laboring over the decision... Today we gave up our dog. I feel so sad/guilty/failure, but I'm also going to be so relieved when the emotions subside in a few days....

Thanks to everyone here for your support.
mamac 12:24 PM 03-24-2013
Update: My husband and I have been crying and laboring over the decision... Today we gave up our dog. I feel so sad/guilty/failure, but I'm also going to be so relieved when the emotions subside in a few days....

Don't think of yourself as a failure. You definitely didn't rush to a decision and you did what you thought was best for your family.... and your dog. No one can fault you for that.
MyAngels 05:35 PM 03-24-2013

A very tough decision, but it sounds like you made the right one for both your family and pup.
originalkat 07:01 AM 03-25-2013
Thanks for the responses so far. It really helps to know what 'the other side' looks like, as I grew up in a dog household and always thought I MUST have a dog.

But... things change...

I have a hound dog.

He rips up dirty diapers every chance he gets. Now he's started peeing next to them too. Yesterday I found 4 ripped up diapers, one in every room, and 9 places he'd sprayed urine around the house. It was nightmare, the worst thing I can imagine (well, not literally).

Tonight he did it again, one ripped up diaper and one p*ss puddle. (Yes, he's neutered). He's been ripping up diapers for a long time, but now it's escalated to the peeing too.

He is constantly in the trash, on the counters, stealing DS's food. He's EXCELLENT with kids, SUPER safe with DS, but doesn't really like DS and just tries to get away even though DS 18 months is the only one who really likes him anymore.

The dog humps my mom's dog CONSTANTLY if he's in the yard with her. It's DISGUSTING and OBSESSIVE. He escapes from the yard and I have to go find him AT LEAST once a month.

He chews up my wooden toys.

He scratches at the front door when he wants in and makes it look awful.

He's got OCD and has ripped through almost every piece of furniture we have.

He has digestive issues and vomits in the house FREQUENTLY.

My husband helps very very little with him, it's all on me.

I have lost 99% of all the affection and bond I used to have for him, back when the dog was my baby and I ADORED him for the first 3 years. But now I'm fed up and have been considering getting rid of him ever since DS was born. But now the behaviors keep escalating...

Because of his behavior and because of daycare he is crated the majority of the day, not the kind of dog owner I ever wanted to be.

He's 5 years old and we've had him since he was a puppy. He's an evil genius, extremely smart dog, worked with him alot before I had DS, excellent at dog parks, knows numerous interesting tricks.

But I don't take giving up a pet lightly...
Personally I only keep a dog if it serves our family well and adds to our quality of life. If this was my dog it would have been gone a LONG time ago.
canadiancare 08:07 AM 03-25-2013
I am a large breed dog lover but have no pets while doing daycare. I really intend/want one when I retire but as my husband points out how will we travel if we have a dog to worry about.

Big, fluffy wonderful dog. <3 I would in a heartbeat if I could
CedarCreek 08:38 AM 03-25-2013
I know how you feel. I love weenie dogs. I have 2. I used to have 3.

The third bit the fire out of my ds as I was lifting him out of bed one morning. It bled and left a horrible bruise. You could see every tooth. Dh made me give him away that day and I agreed with him. he had showed signs of aggression toward ds before that, we just thought he would get used to him. Wrong.

I felt a little guilty but ultimately,I love my ds more.

My others also give me a bit of trouble but they aren't aggressive. They too like to chew diapers. So diapers automatically go out to the very tall garage trash can. They also stay in the kitchen behind the metal baby gate and never come into contact with the dcks. They do try to put their hands through the gate to pet them but that is highly discouraged. We also have a cat, she comes and goes as she pleases. She likes attention from the dcks every once in a while and they looove to give it to her.
Evansmom 08:50 AM 03-25-2013
Dog lover and owner here, just wanted to chime in and support your decision. I can imagine how hard that it was to give him up but from what you wrote it sounded like your dog was stressed out in his environment and wasn't happy either. I think you ultimately put his needs before yours in giving him up and that's commendable. You have nothing to feel guilty about, finding him a new place is what was best for your family and your doggie.
Tags:pets
Reply Up