Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Interview Prospective Families When You Are Full?
ninosqueridos 06:38 PM 02-11-2011
Do you ever set up an in-person interview with a family even though you already informed them you don't have any openings? There is one prospective family who called me (ref by CCR&R) - and even though I informed them I don't have any openings, they still want to come meet me for an in-person interview, tour home daycare, etc and *hope* for an opening in a few months for their not-born-yet infant.

They really sound like a great family - but frankly, it takes awhile for me to prep for interviews, get my own children & home ready on a weekend - and I don't anticipate an opening.

Would you interview them? How do I politely tell them "not yet" ??
DCMomOf3 08:29 PM 02-11-2011
I have never done it but a friend of mine does. I have chosen to not have a waiting list. If you have told them you are full and they still want to interview, I'd go ahead and do it if you are comfortable with it.
QualiTcare 11:01 PM 02-11-2011
i would do it. their child isn't even born yet so it doesn't have to be IMMEDIATELY. you said it takes awhile for you to get ready and "prep" so if that's the main concern (which i totally understand) i would say set it up but on YOUR time. if they accept then that's great. if not, oh well - you're full anyway. BUT if you're willing to "prepare" for a tour, it can't hurt. when my daughter was an infant she was in a daycare that i wanted her OUT of ASAP and my best friend highly recommended the daycare she used. i called and spoke to the director and even though she had a waiting list she let me come and take a tour. she actually ended up taking my child over the children on the waiting list because it was a "good fit" and i think she felt bad after hearing my reasoning behind needing to find new care. point being - you never know what may happen. a family could tell you tmw. that they're moving or they've lost their job - so an interview/tour can't HURT even if it doesn't turn out to do much good at the very moment.
Abigail 11:18 PM 02-11-2011
I would love to be full and have a waiting list to fall back on! I agree with QualiTcare that you should do the interview on YOUR time because the baby is not born yet and you're full anyways. You should find out what it was about your daycare they liked from the referral...this will help pinpoint what they want to get out of an interview; location, rate, what you have for infants, etc. Maybe they heard really wonderful things about you and if you don't have any openings for a year they'll still switch to you!

On the other hand, it's your personal preference. Do you want a potential infant in the future or just older kids? Is the hassle of preping for interviews outweighing the cushion of a waiting list? No pressure! Lots of choices! Good luck in your decison.
ninosqueridos 09:21 AM 02-12-2011
thx guys. Deep down I *want* to because I think it will eventually be a good fit (schedule, close distance to my home, infant, down to earth parents)......I haven't even mentioned it to DH since he's usually the one with the issue of blocking out, say, 3hrs on a Sat or Sun when I don't need to, technically.
Abigail 12:11 AM 02-13-2011
If you think you want to and feel it might be a good fit, I wouldn't wait too long because the parents are probably interviewing other places and the sooner you interview with them the better because they may already fall in love with your services and stop interviewing elsewhere.
DBug 05:44 AM 02-13-2011
I've done this a couple of times and to be honest, I've found it's an unpaid waste of time. The last time (which I posted about), I didn't interview with the family. It's just too much time out of my weekend, keeping my kids confined in the basement so I can make sure they don't mess up what I've just cleaned, etc., etc.

I'd say only do it if you're very convinced that they're a great family that will be great clients, and if you're sure that there may be a spot for them when they need it, IMHO.
JenNJ 05:59 AM 02-13-2011
I add people to the wait list at any time. Meaning I do a quick phone interview and mail them some info and add contact info to my database so when I have an opening, I email them and let them know. I do not do in person interviews unless I have a spot open or I want to term a family and I am looking for a replacement first.

Right now, I am not doing interviews bc I have all golden families and swesome, amazing kids.
KEG123 06:11 AM 02-13-2011
I think it depends on the likliness of you actually accepting the infant. I mean, you are full. But do you plan that any of the children will be leaving, opening up a spot? Any issues going on with current families that you may term for? If you forsee an opening, then yes, interview. If you really don't see a spot opening for them I'd decline.
Cat Herder 05:05 AM 02-14-2011
IMHO, it can't hurt.

Instead of having it take up your weekend, I recommend just having them come by at closing during the work week.

I never do interviews on the weekends since that is family time.

Allow them 1/2 hr, after closing, mid-week. (If you are like me you are still in there, cleaning, anyway )

Having a waiting list makes it less likely you will continue to allow anyone to walk over you or allow one child to disrupt your group in the future. Your stress level will drop and the chances of provider burnout will be lowered. Win-Win
Little People 05:15 AM 02-14-2011
I am full now and I will be taking a waiting list. I will let the parents come by for a quick interview in the evening. Sometimes DCP's are looking for new providers or are just starting to look for a job. You never know who may leave your daycare, people loose their jobs everyday. This way you have someone interested in your daycare
Tags:interview, interview while full
Reply Up