Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Weeks Notice Pay? - Unique Situation
DCMomOf3 05:40 AM 03-04-2011
I informed my parents that I'll be closing in the summer to go back to school. 2 families have already committed to staying to the end. My third family has been looking and has found care they are interested in but the new provider wants to start ASAP, which is fine with me, finding a good provider is not always easy. I found this out yesterday but got the impression they were maybe thinking of transitioning very soon, maybe even next week.

My question is, did my notice of closing in June negate the need for a 2 week notice from my DCP?
Zoe 05:54 AM 03-04-2011
When you told them of your closing this summer, did you have any notification on paper stating how you wanted to handle those who might want to leave before that? I think it's all in the wording you used.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I informed my parents that I'll be closing in the summer to go back to school. 2 families have already committed to staying to the end. My third family has been looking and has found care they are interested in but the new provider wants to start ASAP, which is fine with me, finding a good provider is not always easy. I found this out yesterday but got the impression they were maybe thinking of transitioning very soon, maybe even next week.

My question is, did my notice of closing in June negate the need for a 2 week notice from my DCP?
I say no because you gave them plenty of notice and just because your closing in June doesn't mean that from now until then no rules apply....kwim? So I say two weeks is necessary still for you to adjust to the loss in pay...otherwise you wouldn't have told anyone until 2 weeks before you were closing.

Congrats for going back to school!!!! What are you studying?
DCMomOf3 06:05 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I say no because you gave them plenty of notice and just because your closing in June doesn't mean that from now until then no rules apply....kwim? So I say two weeks is necessary still for you to adjust to the loss in pay...otherwise you wouldn't have told anyone until 2 weeks before you were closing.

Congrats for going back to school!!!! What are you studying?
Thanks! Communicative Disorders. It's close to home for me and if all goes well I hope to get a job in the school district working with kids.

Originally Posted by Zoe:
When you told them of your closing this summer, did you have any notification on paper stating how you wanted to handle those who might want to leave before that? I think it's all in the wording you used.
I gave verbal notice. I was going to give written notice with April's newsletter.
Zoe 06:06 AM 03-04-2011
I gave verbal notice. I was going to give written notice with April's newsletter.
Then yeah, I agree with BlackCat! You're fine!
Cat Herder 06:07 AM 03-04-2011
IDK, you gave them several months notice...that was very good.

I, personally, think they should return the favor and give you your full two weeks notice, paid.

I am willing to bet others will say "you created it, so deal"...

Maybe, if you will feel bad, meet them in the middle and expect only one full week "termination of care" payment ; instead of two?

I would hope they would support your goal, as Mothers and Women themselves... I know I would; it is hard for us to get to go back and we should help each other if we can...

Congratulations, by the way... How exciting!!!
kendallina 06:33 AM 03-04-2011
Yeh, I think you're fine to ask 2 weeks notice pay, just like you normally would. I also think that it would be nice of you to compromise and just accept one week, especially if they were a respectful family, that always paid on time, etc. Good luck!!!
missnikki 06:36 AM 03-04-2011
By no means have you done anything to negate your working contract.

You gave ample notice of your change, and if they want to jump the shark, that's on them. You gave them no reason to sign papers immediately. You are entitled to your two weeks.

If you feel uncomfortable doing it, that's another story...but you are under no obligation whatsoever to waive it.
DCMomOf3 07:11 AM 03-04-2011
I found out they found new care because I started to tell them of a neighbor who was in the process of getting licensed and I wanted to let them know of that option. Then I hear, oh, we have already found someone... they want to start ASAP.... I said I would have to think about it over the weekend... we are moving this weekend, do you think a new house and new daycare is too much all at once....what do you think of transitioning part time for a few weeks.... They are a good family, pay on time, stay home with sick dck and never complain. I think she felt the need to tell me but is trying to figure out how to avoid the 2 weeks by suggesting going to part-time for a few weeks, or maybe she also she is afraid of losing her spot in the new place by giving a 2 week notice and making the provider wait 2 weeks.

I want to be compassionate but I also intend on going by my contract and doing everything exactly the same as I have been until my last day.
safechner 07:20 AM 03-04-2011

Yes, you will need two weeks from your daycare parents. I would do the same thing if I gave them penalty of time notice but I prefer for them to give me a two week notice if they want to leave early.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 03-04-2011
I still say require the two weeks notice and maybe allow her to drop to part time, but then say you want a months notice. I understand that she doesn't want to lose her spot at the new daycare, but she should try negotiating with the new provider instead of you.

Plus the new provider will find out soon enough that two weeks is not that much of a requirement and that is one rule that is pretty much universal with providers.

Rules are rules and should be observed until the day you close. I also get that they may be a good family and all but you are already doing them a favor by telling them so far in advance so they can find alternate care. What if they all come to you with this same scenario...are you going to cut them all some slack? Unless they are forking over for 3 or more kids full time I just don't see why they think the two weeks notice shouldn't be observed. It comes down to respect for you IMPO.

They could pay the new provider to hold the spot or if the new provider is newly opened she will find out that spaces don't fill right up and will more than likely have the same openings after the two weeks notice time is over. Unless your area is in dire need of childcare and spaces fill up fast.
DCMomOf3 12:51 PM 03-04-2011
thanks ladies! i hope that she will just honor the contract herself so we don't have to have the conversation.

And yes Blackcat, it's hard to find care around here, that is one of the big reasons I chose to tell them early.
DCMomOf3 03:35 PM 03-07-2011
I got the 2-weeks notice today. I am glad they gave me the courtesy of it and didn't make me ask for it. I'll miss them though, they are such fun kids.
nannyde 04:38 PM 03-07-2011
I got the 2-weeks notice today. I am glad they gave me the courtesy of it and didn't make me ask for it. I'll miss them though, they are such fun kids.
I think this is a really good lesson not to sell yourself short in giving notice too early because of the parents ability to find good care. You can end up loosing contracts way earlier than you would like because you overestimate how long it will take them.
Tags:2 week notice, closing for summer, notice of closure
Reply Up