Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why can't parents dress their kids appropriately?
MaritimeMummy 10:21 AM 08-16-2012
I mean come on. This 22 month old DCG always shows up in shoes with no socks so they give her heels blisters, no sun hat, and yesterday she wore a dress that touched her toes. Outside running around she kept tripping. So I changed her and put her in the one outfit she had left in her box after multiple attempts to get the parents to leave her with spare outfits...a little cotton sundress that goes to her knees. I think GREAT, it's hot out, this works fine! I out it on her...every 10 seconds, her shoulder straps are falling off her shoulders and her dress would slide down around her waist because she won't fix it herself. She'd walk around and trip over the dress and not try to fix it herself.

Now today it is chilly and about to rain for the first time in a week. We'd actually need to wear a light sweater or coat. She shows up in another sundress. and nothing else. No spare clothes. Great, 5 kids now can't go outside because i was too stupid to refuse to take her when she showed up. Ugh.

Aand while I'm on the subject, can I just say...in the winter, a trench coat and fashion boots are NOT acceptable outdoor attire! LOL. I actually had to change my handbook to state this because of one parent. *vent over*
daycarediva 10:26 AM 08-16-2012
I have a dcg (9) who wore above the knee fake leather boots with a high heel in the worst ice storm of the year last winter.

I have such a hard time with this that I bought backup outfits at garage sales and such for all of the kids. They get changed back before pickup so I keep the clothes here. Winter makes it especially hard because it isn't in my budget to replace the cheap/thin jacket with an actual coat when we need to be outside playing in the snow.
Meyou 10:58 AM 08-16-2012
My handbook asks for play clothes twice, mentions how dirty they get twice and I have not providing the proper clothing day to day as a termination worthy offense. I don't like not being able to go out.

I've been known to have a pudding painting day on a day with a particularly unsuitable outfit in the past. That particular family went out that night and got play clothes. Now I just heavily stress the fact that their clothes WILL get ruined here if they send nice ones.
Meeko 11:11 AM 08-16-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My handbook asks for play clothes twice, mentions how dirty they get twice and I have not providing the proper clothing day to day as a termination worthy offense. I don't like not being able to go out.

I've been known to have a pudding painting day on a day with a particularly unsuitable outfit in the past. That particular family went out that night and got play clothes. Now I just heavily stress the fact that their clothes WILL get ruined here if they send nice ones.
Pudding painting
Country Kids 01:01 PM 08-16-2012
We are suppose to be in the 100's here today. One showed up in long pants-.

Luckily I change all the kids after playing outside and they did have cooler clothes i their cubby.
jojosmommy 01:25 PM 08-16-2012
I have no answer except that all my dck were cold outside today because even though the high is 20 degrees lower than yesterday not one came in longer pants, or with shirts with sleeves. No jackets. I hate when parents dont think about their kids!
AfterSchoolMom 05:17 PM 08-16-2012
I used to have a kindergartener that came every single morning in cold weather in a short sleeved t-shirt and no jacket or coat. The school bus driver used to fuss at ME. I took to letting him wear my child's spare jacket until right before the bus got there. I tried to gently bring it up to Mom, and she said "well, the school is heated, and he hates wearing a jacket" - meanwhile, he was shivering pitifully every morning.

I also had one who's parents I was convinced dressed them for the opposite of whatever the weather was on purpose. If it was warm, they came in long sleeved, footed onesies. If it was chilly they came in rompers with shorts. It never failed.

I'll never understand some parents.
Reply Up