Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Anyone in Oregon? No. Cal? Looking to Move, Need to Talk Weather
DaisyMamma 04:32 AM 04-16-2013
Looking @ Medford Area, but want to talk to anyone sort of near the area about everything from weather to way of life, cost of living, etc. Please PM me!
just_peachy 05:13 AM 04-16-2013
My grandpa grew up in Medford! It's a tiny town, but it's cozy and the weather is SO much nicer than up here in Portland. More sun, less rain. I can't help you with any of the other stuff because I've only ever visited, but I wish I could transplant their weather up north a few hours!

Where are you moving from?
DaisyMamma 05:31 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
My grandpa grew up in Medford! It's a tiny town, but it's cozy and the weather is SO much nicer than up here in Portland. More sun, less rain. I can't help you with any of the other stuff because I've only ever visited, but I wish I could transplant their weather up north a few hours!

Where are you moving from?
Connecticut!
Its usually 10-20 degrees in Winter with lots of snow and I really really hate that.

Tiny town, really? I thought the population looked high for us and was considering Eagle Point BUT our current town has 3000 residents

If you don't mind I would love to talk to you. Can you PM me your phone# and a couple of good times to call?

You're up early! I was just thinking - Geeze I should have posted in a few hours, all those peeps over there are still in bed!
Country Kids 06:58 AM 04-16-2013
I pm'd you!
Lyss 08:07 AM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Connecticut!
Its usually 10-20 degrees in Winter with lots of snow and I really really hate that.

Tiny town, really? I thought the population looked high for us and was considering Eagle Point BUT our current town has 3000 residents

If you don't mind I would love to talk to you. Can you PM me your phone# and a couple of good times to call?

You're up early! I was just thinking - Geeze I should have posted in a few hours, all those peeps over there are still in bed!
We just moved from the Medford area (actually eagle point!) 2 years ago to Salem. I loved Medford/Ashland area, the weather is much better than up north (I hate Salem)! The 6 years we were there we only had one winter of more than just a inch or so of snow. Summers get hot, we usually had at least a week of 100+ consistently.

I loved Eagle Point, it was small but had enough shopping that I wasn't running to Medford. I'd avoid White city or Central point (mainly White City) if your looking for outskirts of Medford.
Country Kids 08:38 AM 04-16-2013
I would definetly talk to Lyss!!!

See how people have different perspectives on things-
Heidi 12:17 PM 04-16-2013
My 23 yo son has been living in Ashland for the past 10 months. He loves it there...
Live and Learn 02:47 PM 04-16-2013
I'm in the metro area of Portland. We have family in Medford and visit regularly. The weather is very nice there in the summer. Much drier than the Willamette Valley up north. The Rogue Valley gets this air inversion thing and gets socked in during the winter months. Gray and depressing in my opinion. Medford is more conservative politically and Ashland is more liberal. Ashland is just a few miles south of Medford. Our family has a cabin at Lake of the Woods. So beautiful up in the mountains. Fairly close to Crater Lake. I hope this helps.
Country Kids 04:01 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I'm in the metro area of Portland. We have family in Medford and visit regularly. The weather is very nice there in the summer. Much drier than the Willamette Valley up north. The Rogue Valley gets this air inversion thing and gets socked in during the winter months. Gray and depressing in my opinion. Medford is more conservative politically and Ashland is more liberal. Ashland is just a few miles south of Medford. Our family has a cabin at Lake of the Woods. So beautiful up in the mountains. Fairly close to Crater Lake. I hope this helps.
Oh, I had totally forgotten about the air inversion thing!

I think most of Oregon is very depressing in the winter all 9 months of it-

Yes, Ashland is very liberal-I think much more then Eugene even.
Lyss 04:47 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Oh, I had totally forgotten about the air inversion thing!

I think most of Oregon is very depressing in the winter all 9 months of it-

Yes, Ashland is very liberal-I think much more then Eugene even.
Ashland is very liberal, its fun to visit but I hated working there.

Lake of the Woods is such a neat area! Very pretty! We liked Fish Lake and Four Mile Lake in that same area too!!
Live and Learn 07:44 PM 04-16-2013
Why Medford? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have family or friends there? Bend, Oregon is beautiful too. High desert, mountains all around, GREAT skiing, vital, athletic, hip western town. 300 days of sunshine per year. Good luck with your decision.
DaisyMamma 07:46 PM 04-16-2013
Why Medford? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have family or friends there? Bend, Oregon is beautiful too. High desert, mountains all around, GREAT skiing, vital, athletic, hip western town. 300 days of sunshine per year. Good luck with your decision.
I will look into it!
Sprouts 08:42 PM 04-16-2013
Yes I am curious why are you looking to move out there too, its funny because my husband and I have been talking about moving westward as well and were from Rockland County NY , not too far from you lol ...if its too personal you can PM me.... or not...lol I am just curious.
DaisyMamma 04:11 AM 04-17-2013
I'm in CT. It's cold in the winter. Too much snow. Last couple years we've been getting 2-3 feet at a time.

Other than that, no special reason. And I've lived on the same st for 35 years. I'm bored.
Sprouts 04:58 AM 04-17-2013
Gotcha! Thanks
tenderhearts 07:28 AM 04-17-2013
I'm also from the Portland metro area, Bend is very cold in winter and very hot in summer flat and kind of boring IMO, at least here it's in between, never too hot or too cold. I guess if you like both extremes, we just get LOTS of rain, rarely snow. I personally wouldn't want to live in Bend. I guess it depends on what you like.
Lyss 09:11 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I'm also from the Portland metro area, Bend is very cold in winter and very hot in summer flat and kind of boring IMO, at least here it's in between, never too hot or too cold. I guess if you like both extremes, we just get LOTS of rain, rarely snow. I personally wouldn't want to live in Bend. I guess it depends on what you like.
If you're a skier or snow sports person Bend is awesome . We like to visit the area in the early/late summer and do some camping and visiting family there, but I sure don't want to live there!
tenderhearts 09:21 AM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
If you're a skier or snow sports person Bend is awesome . We like to visit the area in the early/late summer and do some camping and visiting family there, but I sure don't want to live there!
That's true, we aren't skiers but Lake Billy Chinook is fun, well if you have a boat, but it's so beautiful, when we were kids my parents took us there every summer to camp, we use to hike, swim, water ski, it was soooo fun, but my husband isn't a swimmer actually doesn't know how to swim so the times we go it's just to see the beauty.
Country Kids 09:23 AM 04-17-2013
We have family that lives near there and we love to visit but I couldn't live there.

Great place for sports enthusiasts but its a spendy area to live in! Sunrive is so much fun to go to also but again spendy!
Tags:oregon, oregon members
Reply Up