Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Partner Not Keeping Up with Training
LeslieG 01:00 PM 06-26-2018
My sister and I have a joint daycare license. Our license renews September 1st and she has yet to do any of her 16 hours of training for the year. I've talked to her about it a little, but 1). She has her teaching degree and ultimately wants to get a teaching position in a public school next year, so she has been applying to jobs but hasn't gotten any interviews out of it yet 2). She has been struggling with a little anxiety/depression.

I know that it is very likely that she won't get her licensing training done before Sept. 1st. Since we're have a joint license, will I be written up for this as well? Or will she be taken off of the license? I'm not sure what would happen.

I live in MN.
racemom 01:30 PM 06-26-2018
Can she do online training? I know the university here offers a lot of webinars, that are easy to do at home.
Unregistered 03:23 PM 06-26-2018
You need to find out if she is interested in continuing to work with you. If not, then talk to your license person to see if you can just apply without her on the license, or if there is a different process. This may mean changing your allowable ratios.
LeslieG 03:57 PM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You need to find out if she is interested in continuing to work with you. If not, then talk to your license person to see if you can just apply without her on the license, or if there is a different process. This may mean changing your allowable ratios.
Well, I am basically her backup option. If she doesn't get a teaching job, she will continue working with me.
hwichlaz 05:43 PM 06-26-2018
Can she be your assistant rather than a licensee?
Unregistered 06:05 PM 06-26-2018
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
Well, I am basically her backup option. If she doesn't get a teaching job, she will continue working with me.
She can't work with you if she doesn't do what is necessary, either to partner with you or to be your employee. Both require training. Otherwise you are jeopardizing YOUR license and your income.
LysesKids 08:07 PM 06-26-2018
She can't work with you if she doesn't do what is necessary, either to partner with you or to be your employee. Both require training. Otherwise you are jeopardizing YOUR license and your income.
THIS... either she commits or steps out; your career could be ruined if you let her neglect her responsibilities. If she wants out to pursue her dream, then let her go and hire someone that wants to work for real, not just as a stop gap
daycarediva 11:18 AM 06-27-2018
yup.

I just did 9 hours in a week online. It's doable, but she needs to be prepared for the possibility she doesn't get a teaching job and plan for the job she currently HAS.
Blackcat31 11:55 AM 06-27-2018
She might already be in trouble even if she completes her training in full today. All trainings (required) are available on-line but the state requires them to be done in a certain way.

For example I completed my hours in Child Development in March 2018. I must complete next years requirement for that course/area of training within the same month regardless of my relicensing date.

She’ll be cited (and possibly fined...?) not you but you won’t be able to operate at a licensing class that requires more than one caregiver as she won’t be legal to serve as an assistant or co-provider without the required trainings
Blackcat31 11:59 AM 06-27-2018
MN allows a limited number of training hours per day to be creditable.
Cat Herder 12:06 PM 06-27-2018
From my understanding, all contracts for next school year would have already been signed except for in special circumstance.

I do 5-10 hours a week, regularly, online. It is a pretty easy requirement to meet. Many "special interest" 1 hour classes are worth 2 hours, now, too. Few actually take a full hour to complete, especially if you know the content.

The powerpoints run in the background while I am mopping/washing toys. I passively listen then challenge the written. They usually have less than 20 questions and a paragraph or two to write.

I was able to get 10 hours for 4 hours seat time on a saturday at a local library recently. No written test, at all.
Blackcat31 12:13 PM 06-27-2018
Here are the specific rules regarding trainings in MN
As stated above, annual means specific dates of completion for certain trainings.

https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv...c/DHS-7672-ENG
Tags:training - minnesota, working with family
Reply Up