Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Very Frustrated With Some Parents
mac60 02:31 AM 12-02-2010
So approximately 2 1/2 months ago, I started caring for 2 kids from one family 2 days per week. She had called me 2 times prior asking if I had room, then changed her mind, then the 3rd time, she callled and wanted me 2 days per week. So, I took them, dropped my minimum days per week down to 2 for them, cut my rate by $5 for them, and had them for approx 2 1/2 months. Well, today was their last day. She gave me notice 2 weeks ago and said since they were down to 1 car, it was too hard for her to keep her day schedule and such, so she would be going to nights, blah blah. Well today before she left. She said thank you for caring for the girls, but with Christmas coming on, they just can't afford it anymore, and later they may call and try it again. They have gotten 4 years of free daycare from grandma and simply do not like having to pay for any daycare at all.

Ok, what the heck is wrong with parents. I charged them $55 per week for 2 days 2 kids. I passed up 2 potential families to them because they were here and I didn't have room for more when I got the calls. I will never allow them back into my daycare, never. They screwed me, and it makes me mad. I bent over backwards to accomodate them, and gave up potential clients with more days for them. GRR. Parents don't think, and seriously, giving up daycare because Christmas is coming......damn, last time I checked Christmas comes the same time/day/season every year. Somedays I get so frustrated with people and how they use and abuse us, and they wonder why we have 8 page handbooks outlining our business and how we run it. Go figure. From this day forward, I will be sticking to my 3 day minimum rate. No exceptions from anyone cuz I always get burnt.
laundrymom 02:52 AM 12-02-2010
Im sorry you had this happen but honestly,.... A same type situation caused me to do the same thing. We are in the caring business but it is a one-sided situation. They are buying a service,.... We are selling love. We get attached they don't because of our love for their kids we take it personally. Keep them in the weed pile and find a different family. I can't say don't get attached because we all know that isnt possible. We see all the firsts, all the one time o ly moments. That alone makes us feel something for these little frogs. Some parents just see us like the corner store,.... Milk is cheaper at speedway than village pantry so that's where people go. Or they get a Coupon..... They see us a simple service. And unfortunately the kids lose out inthe long run. I actually have a theory thT I'm going to use next time someone terms for cheaper alternative. I'm going to say " I am so relieved you gave me notice... I actually have interviewed a family who is willing to pay $18 more per week and they drop off an hour later than you do so I was going to give you notice because my budget just isn't going as far as it used to and I need to cut somewhere. So getting a raise will help. I'm so relieved we worked this out"
Now THAT is a conversation I would like to have.
Unregistered 07:34 AM 12-02-2010
This is why I do NOT do part time care you end up getting screwed in the end. both my families know I am FULL TIME ONLY and I also only charge the same FLAT weekly rate from age 6 weeks till school age I do not take school age they pay weather the kids are here or not they pay weather daycare is open or closed they do get 1 free week vacation a year and they dont pay me for my 1 free week vacation a year thats all the break they get. Might wanna rethink doing the part time thing.
momma2girls 11:03 AM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
So approximately 2 1/2 months ago, I started caring for 2 kids from one family 2 days per week. She had called me 2 times prior asking if I had room, then changed her mind, then the 3rd time, she callled and wanted me 2 days per week. So, I took them, dropped my minimum days per week down to 2 for them, cut my rate by $5 for them, and had them for approx 2 1/2 months. Well, today was their last day. She gave me notice 2 weeks ago and said since they were down to 1 car, it was too hard for her to keep her day schedule and such, so she would be going to nights, blah blah. Well today before she left. She said thank you for caring for the girls, but with Christmas coming on, they just can't afford it anymore, and later they may call and try it again. They have gotten 4 years of free daycare from grandma and simply do not like having to pay for any daycare at all.

Ok, what the heck is wrong with parents. I charged them $55 per week for 2 days 2 kids. I passed up 2 potential families to them because they were here and I didn't have room for more when I got the calls. I will never allow them back into my daycare, never. They screwed me, and it makes me mad. I bent over backwards to accomodate them, and gave up potential clients with more days for them. GRR. Parents don't think, and seriously, giving up daycare because Christmas is coming......damn, last time I checked Christmas comes the same time/day/season every year. Somedays I get so frustrated with people and how they use and abuse us, and they wonder why we have 8 page handbooks outlining our business and how we run it. Go figure. From this day forward, I will be sticking to my 3 day minimum rate. No exceptions from anyone cuz I always get burnt.
After all the yrs. of providing care, I have given out so many breaks, to everyone, here and there, cut a deal, only here one day, 2 days, etc. etc. not anymore!! I have had it with all the breaks for everyone, almost all of them , bit me in the butt later, most do not appreciate it anyways!!!
ddnanny13 12:13 PM 12-02-2010
I have to agree with people using us. I have a dcg who is here until 8:30pm one night a week. Her mom pays extra for it, not much btw, but then seems to think that I'm to keep myself available EVERY evening for her. She called me one day and said, "oh i forgot to tell you that I work until 630 tonight so i'll just pick her up at 7." I said I close at 530, and she said. "oh but not for me, you always have her until 830 Thursdays. Yes but it's Tuesday, and sorry I have plans. Find someone to pick her up or I am charging one heck of a late fee! Honestly she should be grateful I even keep her late on Thursdays!
Blackcat31 12:16 PM 12-02-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
After all the yrs. of providing care, I have given out so many breaks, to everyone, here and there, cut a deal, only here one day, 2 days, etc. etc. not anymore!! I have had it with all the breaks for everyone, almost all of them , bit me in the butt later, most do not appreciate it anyways!!!
I agree! Maybe we shouldn't be called childcare providers...we should just be called family providers. (notice lack of word child...they are always the easy part! LOL!! )
momma2girls 07:26 AM 12-03-2010
I had a family, pick up her children here an hr. early one day. Then she came back the next day, and said this should take care of an early out of school today- I said WHat?? It was 3 hr. early out.
Tags:bad parent
Reply Up