Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ok, More On The Foster Baby I Am Watching
sahm2three 09:51 AM 10-01-2010
She has CP, was a premie, is on oxygen and sleep apnea machine. BUT the stupid state doesn't consider her to be special needs to qualify for the special needs rate. So I lug around a couple heavy machines all day, have to be on full alert to make sure everyone leaves her tubes alone and make sure no one messes with her (a couple of the littles think it is ok to roughly try to hand her toys that she can't even hold). So the state thinks it is ok to just give me the regular rate (and I have hired an assistant for the days I have her). So I am losing money. I guess I will take her for the few days we contracted for and then not take her again. Shouldn't be a hardship on the provider. Poor kid, and poor foster family. Things like this is why people don't take on state assisted families.
marniewon 09:58 AM 10-01-2010
It sounds like this little one would be better off in a one-on-one setting with no other littles around.
sahm2three 10:13 AM 10-01-2010
Well, that is why I hired an assistant. Today is a slow day, so I didn't have her come, but wish I had because she is having a rough day today with spasms. I feel completely comfortable caring for her, just think it is a total joke how the state conducts themselves.
SilverSabre25 10:22 AM 10-01-2010
I have a very hard time believing that state isn't considering her a special needs child. What on Earth is their definition of "special needs" if she doesn't fit it? How old is she?

edited: I'm NOT calling you a liar by any means, I'm more...flabbergasted that the state doesn't think she is special needs!
momofsix 10:30 AM 10-01-2010
Does the state consider her "special needs" as far as foster care payments go? It would be worth checking with foster mom about that-then you could definately pursue it for child care if she has it for that.
Tags:foster, special needs
Reply Up