Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Couch In Daycare Room
JeepGirl6 12:18 PM 10-24-2013
How many of you have a couch in your daycare room? I don't let the children on it often unless its story time because all they want to do is jump on it and act up otherwise. I was not planning on getting one at all but found a really good sale at Menards for $229 this past weekend. My idea was to block the fireplace. It actually fits perfect in front of my fireplace which was a concern of my with it being in my daycare area. We are getting the entire daycare painted this weekend so I will post before & after pictures( I also rearranged my room)

How do I post pictures on here?
Blackcat31 12:26 PM 10-24-2013
I do not have ANY adult sized furniture.

Here are the instructions for adding photos and attachments to your post

https://www.daycare.com/forum/faq.ph...l&titlesonly=0

Let me know if you have any trouble
Heidi 12:29 PM 10-24-2013
My daycare has crept back out into my livingroom, so two couches and two child sized easy chairs, plus a rocking chair that's off limits.

The only one that can get on the couch is my 2 year old. He either sits or he's off immediately. Some days require more reminders than others.
TwinKristi 02:50 PM 10-24-2013
My living room IS my DC area so yes we have a couch but I don't let the kids play on it. I also have a child-sized couch they can sit on. One DCK decides he wants to start jumping on my couch after being here a year and knowing it's not ok. If he wanted to sit I would be ok, but he doesn't, he just jumps and could fall off so he doesn't get to be on the couch now.
daycare 03:04 PM 10-24-2013
I also have a huge fire place and I blocked mine using a huge cork board and then there is a book rack in front of it. By the book rack, there is nice home made reading cough, child size. The kids do not jump on it, the seat is made on the bricks of the fireplace, so they are not able to jump on it at all. None of them have even tried.....
itlw8 06:09 PM 10-24-2013
I have a love seat. They may sit on it. As long as they treat it nice. no shoes no standing or jumping no toys of food on it. You may not lay down if your friends want to sit down.
moshimoshi 04:02 PM 10-26-2013
I have a sofa and a love seat in my child care room. The kids are allowed to sit on it.
MCC 06:43 PM 10-26-2013
I have a couch in mine. I love that it makes the room feel cozy and warm, and it gives me somewhere to sit when I feed babies. I do have to remind the children not to run and plop on it, but they are getting better.

I also use it to trap my crawler when we are doing crafts. I use the couch as one side, and a play yard style baby gate for the other. I'm not sure I'm explaining that properly, but I can post a pic on Monday.
dingledine 10:05 PM 10-26-2013
I have a couch and love seat, as the daycare is primarily in my living room.

I don't allow jumping on the couch... ever... or standing on the couch. I have a three year old that LOVES to throw her body around, onto the couch, etc, this drives me bonkers, and I'm sure she is going to hurt someone someday.
dingledine 10:07 PM 10-26-2013
Oh... and little kids have a hard time determining WHEN something is OKAY sometimes, and NOT others... so yeah... no way.

Also for my "story time"... I read the stories to kids separately, because otherwise I am going to spend the whole time (even though I only have 4 kids... ages 4,3,17mo,16mo) saying things like... Johnny sit down... pay attention, did you hear me, etc etc etc. No thanks.

If you can do it though, great!
cheerfuldom 08:52 AM 10-27-2013
I have two comfy chairs in my daycare room so i can sit down and hold babies and such. the kids are allowed on them as long as they can sit nicely. chairs are easier to replace than a couch and I am not sitting or standing all day. I NEED a place to sit down!
mrsnj 09:52 AM 10-27-2013
My playroom is downstairs but the kids are upstairs too so obviously yes sofas. DCKs are not allowed on the sofas.
JeepGirl6 12:15 PM 10-28-2013
Thanks everyone!! Yea at this point I tell them they are not allowed on it because they cant sit on it nicely. I think I am going to stick with that
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:52 AM 10-29-2013
My 3rd and final couch just left yesterday (thank you curbside donation pick-up service!). The first 2 were demolished by the kids. I allowed them to be on them, but the wet pants, slimy smears, and JUMPING JUMPING JUMPING, and sometimes pushing, was inevitable. By the time we got the third couch, it became a no-no zone...it's the jumping that really does them in, and they WILL stand up and start to bounce or jump no matter what! I realized I just don't use it very much (other than a "crap catcher" that is!), as all of my sitting is on the floor with the kids, so I freed up some space, and I have to say it really looks more professional without it.
Laurel 09:06 AM 10-29-2013
I got rid of it years ago but I have a living room and family room. The family room is now my daycare room. I took the sofa out of it but the living room still has one.

In the playroom I have a recliner leather chair that I bought just for that room. It is a wider one so one child can sit with me, or two children or me with a baby, etc. I got leather for good wear and I have had it for years and it still looks good.

I was tired of having to tell the children all day to stop climbing on the sofa. They were basically using it as a climber and also snotting, drooling, biting the arms of it, etc. I also had more children back then but it was the best thing I ever did to remove it.

At that time, I put a climber/slide in the playroom for indoors. That worked out fantastically. They can sit on my living room sofa when they get big enough to get up on it because it sits pretty high off the floor (another plus; it is not a low sofa) but we are not in that room much. Just sometimes after lunch or at the end of the day. Plus only if they listen. If they don't, we go back to the playroom.

I have some little foam chairs for them. I don't see them sold anymore so don't know how to describe them but they look like adult chairs only kiddie size. Got them for $2 at a garage sale and have had them for years. I also have one step up to the foyer and they like to sit on that step.

Mostly it works very well to have the one wider chair. I need to sit sometimes and since I am usually on it with one of them they don't think of it as 'available' if you know what I mean. It is "Ms. L's" seat but they can sit with me.

I would never, ever have another sofa in the playroom. My provider friend has a loveseat and it works the same way my wider chair does. Room for one WITH the provider.

Laurel
lizzardb85 12:37 PM 10-30-2013
http://www.walmart.com/ip/your-zone-...olors/14931613

I have this chair and love it. It is short enough the 16 mo olds can sit on the edge and we all tend to pile on it for reading. It also lays flat for extra nap area.
blessed mom 02:13 PM 10-30-2013
The main day care room is all child sized stuff except my desk. The kids do come into our family room for lunch and nap. They are welcome to sit on their bottoms on the couch. As soon as they don't they get to sit on the floor. I'm a bit strict on it but they have learned and prefer to sit on the couch because I have a child gate around the TV so they can't see as well on the floor. Ah...natural consequences.
Tags:allowing kids on furniture, furniture
Reply Up